new neighbour speeding onto quiet cul-de-sac

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2010, 04:49 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new neighbour speeding onto quiet cul-de-sac

a lady and her young-ish son have just moved onto our quiet cul-de-sac

up until now kids have played on the street whilst supervised without fear of being knocked over by idiotic drivers, that is until now.

id guess the son is around 17 or 18 and has a newish fiesta, he and his friends insist on driving onto the street quite quickly, there have already been two close misses with kids.

I have told him clearly to slow down and his mates, and another neighbour has as well but they just carry on driving onto the street like idiots.

what can I do?

I have complained to the local council, no reply theres a shock. can I goto the police? will they do anything?

cheers in advance
Old 10 April 2010, 04:52 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would imagine that the police would have to investigate driving without due care and attention. Whether they will or not is another thing! Or, park your car right in front of the drive where he parks, then when he comes over to ask you to move, tell him its the only way of protecting the children in the street, and that if he promises to slow down, you wont do it again.
Old 10 April 2010, 04:57 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

They've had their warning ,now its time to have them by the throat
Old 10 April 2010, 04:59 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

speak to his mother for a start, not just you but the other concerned parents as well and see if she does anything.

if not, speak to the Police
Old 10 April 2010, 04:59 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Step out infront of one, but be ready to jump....
Old 10 April 2010, 05:01 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Speak to the Police first, explain the situation, the son keeps doing this even though you have had a word with him, mention the near misses to them and your concerns - they will need the reg i guess.

Rights and responsibilities yet again!
Old 10 April 2010, 05:14 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Burn their house down, they'll have to move....job done
Old 10 April 2010, 05:17 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

when we having a mini meet at yours then ?
Old 10 April 2010, 05:19 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Obviously getting hold of a small child's push bike, mangling it up so it looks like it had been driven over/into, dumping said bike and some fake blood behind the Fiesta, reporting a car versus child RTC, stating that the driver smells of alcohol and has just fled in to the house and providing the reg number of the Fiesta, all from a PAYG sim with the number with-held, whilst refusing to give your details would be rather naughty.
Old 10 April 2010, 05:24 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Originally Posted by Rich D
speak to his mother for a start, not just you but the other concerned parents as well and see if she does anything.

if not, speak to the Police
a neighbour did that already, they slowed down for a day or two.

dont really want to get hold of the little ****** to make a point, would rather goto the old bill.

cheers for the replys
Old 10 April 2010, 05:26 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

time to ring the 5-0 then
Old 10 April 2010, 05:30 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4mou
a neighbour did that already, they slowed down for a day or two.

dont really want to get hold of the little ****** to make a point, would rather goto the old bill.

cheers for the replys
In that case, report it both via your local beat team and Crime Stoppers.

Your beat manger and PCSO will probably ask you to keep a log of each incident and each vehicle involved, then try to put some long term solution in place.
Old 10 April 2010, 05:36 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
In that case, report it both via your local beat team and Crime Stoppers.

Your beat manger and PCSO will probably ask you to keep a log of each incident and each vehicle involved, then try to put some long term solution in place.

possibly worth trying to catch them on the camcorder as well. If you get all your neighbours to go round to the house they should get the message.
Old 10 April 2010, 05:38 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Without reading all the replies. Would video'ing it now be a good idea, call the police and tell them you have already done their work for them. If the police choose to ignore it do what I did once....

After many warning........
I heard this lad coming and was already planned for the attack. Soon as he turned down our street id hid behind some park cars, he come launching from the junction down the street and as soon as he got to me (I was hidden) I through a guyfolks in front of his car, it went flying over the bonnet.... he s_it himself, anchored on till he stopped and rush around the car to the dead 'mannequin' behind him. He was horrified until he reliased it was a hoax. I walked over to him and said arn't you lucky it wasnt real.... he apologied and drove off.
Old 10 April 2010, 05:45 PM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by UK300 PRODRIVE
After many warning........
I heard this lad coming and was already planned for the attack. Soon as he turned down our street id hid behind some park cars, he come launching from the junction down the street and as soon as he got to me (I was hidden) I through a guyfolks in front of his car, it went flying over the bonnet.... he s_it himself, anchored on till he stopped and rush around the car to the dead 'mannequin' behind him. He was horrified until he reliased it was a hoax. I walked over to him and said arn't you lucky it wasnt real.... he apologied and drove off.
Shock tactics, sounds a good idea since talking to him/mother doesn't work.

After that it's nails meets tyres
Old 10 April 2010, 05:49 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

I've got a similar problem on my street but probably not to your extent. Its like a max power roadshow sometimes when all the chav saxo's, 106's and corsa's come along and all stand there admiring eachothers 1.2 litre engines.

I pissed one off today. I was washing mine and some lad blasted in making a racket from his drainpipe exhaust!! He looked ever so pleased getting out of his 106 fully clad with a bright orange roll cage.

I looked at him without raising a smile and said, 'Surely that car doesnt go fast enough to risk rolling it over!'

i just got a "Whatever!" in reply!
Old 10 April 2010, 05:56 PM
trell
Scooby Regular

Go down the DIY shop buy a few bags of cement and put some DIY sleeping police men down ( speed bumps ) with out him knowing so he will raz in and smash his alloys lol
Old 10 April 2010, 06:02 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trell
Go down the DIY shop buy a few bags of cement and put some DIY sleeping police men down ( speed bumps ) with out him knowing so he will raz in and smash his alloys lol
And be at risk of an arrest for criminal damage? Not worth it.

I still stand by post #9 for the best way to teach him a lesson.
Old 10 April 2010, 06:10 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Have you tried talking to him on his level? You know what we were like at that age,. Anyone talking down to you or telling you off was a **** even if you never said anything. I just wonder if a more friendly approach would work. He obviously likes driving and proibably cars so use that as a common platform to start a conversation and see if you can maybe end up gently explaining what the problem is. If he hears it in a friendly way then just maybe he will listen.

Failing that snot the ****!
Old 10 April 2010, 06:23 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have told a few neighbours to slow down, got offered out by this Irish bloke in a 328 BMW when I turned up, him having sped past at probably double the speed limit, I had a word at work (Police ) and a van was stationed for a few nights at this coming hom time, after he offered me out he tried to goad me by going faster, 67 in a 30 they got him for, never saw him again.

I find appealing to someones better nature, going in on the back foot always has the best results, confrontation to someone prepared to drive like that is a bit of a "Respec"/ affront to male pride type thing, so first time(s) its always best to go easy and then get a bit heavy/agressive if you need to.
Old 10 April 2010, 08:59 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Sugar in the petrol tank will slow the little sod down for a while
Old 10 April 2010, 09:05 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

lol @ gordo
Old 10 April 2010, 09:17 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Liberally coat the brake discs of said scumbags motor with WD40 during hours of darkness - once he leaves home you will find the problem will be unlikely to return!!!
Old 10 April 2010, 09:20 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

*click KILL THEM *click
Old 10 April 2010, 10:15 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I had a similar situation. A 'stronger' word is all that's needed.....Problem solved.
Old 10 April 2010, 10:16 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Have you tried talking to him on his level? You know what we were like at that age,. Anyone talking down to you or telling you off was a **** even if you never said anything. I just wonder if a more friendly approach would work. He obviously likes driving and proibably cars so use that as a common platform to start a conversation and see if you can maybe end up gently explaining what the problem is. If he hears it in a friendly way then just maybe he will listen.

Failing that snot the ****!
Good approach above. Tell him it's all well and good giving it some beans out on the open road but if he likes his car he needs to give the engine time to cool down before he pulls up at home and pulls the keys out.

We had a similar situation with the daughter of some people down towards the end of our cul-de-sac. She insisted on taking the corner (90 degrees) at a speed quick enough to make the tyres screech. I parked the scoob on one side of the road and the wifes beemer slightly offset on the other side (with neighbours knowledge) She came steaming round the corner and, to be fair, hammered onto the anchors pretty sharpish. She didn't speed again. If she'd hit either car - Fine by me - I'll just send it off to Subaru / Bimmer and insist on a top to bottom 100% first rate repair job AND I'd insist on a replacement to be paid on their insurance.

Failing that - **** the snot out of him
Old 11 April 2010, 09:40 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

If he has been approached already, it's nails and tyres for me, he will very soon get fed up with replacing all four tyres, as soon as it has come back from the tyre shop. and again, etc. With a little note under the wiper "This stops when your speeding does, regards. "
Old 11 April 2010, 10:19 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a ball, when he comes flying into the street bounce it out into the road, when he hits it and stops with no doubt the usual repy of "WTF if you have damaged my car", politely say that you just killed a child as you couldnt stop for a ball, what chance would the child following it have.

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 11 April 2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11 April 2010, 10:27 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Have you spoken to his mother? If she is a reasonable neighbour she might be able to influence him into behaving himself.

If that fails I think you have to report him to the police for dangerous driving.

Les
Old 11 April 2010, 10:32 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

He obviously needs direction in his life. He's 17, male and has lots of energy. Coupled by the fact that you know his name and where he lives, why not sign him up to the armed forces? For the sake of completeness, you're best of signing him up to all of them at the same time to be on the safe side.
They are very persistent once they have the paperwork in their possession....
HTH
astraboy.

Quick Reply: new neighbour speeding onto quiet cul-de-sac