Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

my job is **** - advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2002, 02:22 PM
robin ledger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

stuck behind a f**kin PC all day while the management swan around the world on expenses. They then come back all jetlagged pissy and refuse me a couple of days off at the end of the easter break next week on the grounds that "we already have a number of people out on the Tuesday, so your request cannot be granted." (i.e. - them!!)

We have a HR officer - never here of course - but I'm wondering what the best course of complaint about said manager's attitude would be? Any suggestions?
Old 25 March 2002, 02:48 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

As far as I understood if you gave a company resonable time to arrange things in your absense you could legally take your holiday when you want. If you really want ot f*ck them over throw a sickie. I luckly don't have this problem but i know friends that do and thats how they get round it.

Alternatively start looking for another job.
UP2U
Old 25 March 2002, 02:56 PM
robin ledger
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I did that last week, though I was genuinely unwell at the time. They would probably assume that I was trying to f**k them over if I did that, tempting though it is.

I'm interested in the legal bit though. Does anyone now what the rules are on this?

cheers in advance,

Robin
Old 25 March 2002, 03:21 PM
robin ledger
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

It's certainly that alright...

It's only monday afternoon and I've had enough already.

[Edited by robin ledger - 3/25/2002 3:22:56 PM]
Old 25 March 2002, 03:33 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Robin

Throw a sickie - there is absolutely nothing they can do about it. In my last job I was really fed up during the last 4 months I was there, so used to have about 2 days a month sick. They couldn't do a thing, and never questioned me, cos they knew they had no grounds for disciplinary.

This was a blue chip firm as well selling holidays.

You only need a doctors note after 5 days off I think, but up until then you are fine. Get someone to ring in for you, and BYU.

The only other thing is work for yourself, like me Much better, and I can spend all day posting on here if I want (which I have done today)

DW
Old 25 March 2002, 05:45 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

I think there is something in the European Working Time Directive that states that you are obliged to give your employer twice as much notice as you plan to take off.

Ie. Want two days off: give four days notice.

This does not mean you have the right to take particular days off though....

Hope you sort it out.

Trending Topics

Old 25 March 2002, 05:47 PM
robin ledger
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

interesting I'll look it up on the net. I'm on the track of something else as we speak...

cheers,

Robin
Old 25 March 2002, 06:32 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Speaking as an employer my comments would be:

1. Don't throw a sickie.
Particularly if you work in a team environment, the people who will really suffer from this are collegues and customers.
Consult your boss on the problem and if you do not find a mutually satisfactory arrangement, take it higher. Put it in writing if you feel strongly that you are being taken advantage of. If you still feel unsatisfied with the answers, seek professional advice. Throwing a sickie will work in the short term, but if it becomes a habit, you will limit your prospects with the company. (Maybe you don't care about that, but then are you really working for the right company?)

2. Your employer can reasonably refuse a holiday request regardless of the notice you give.
The important word here is "reasonably". In most cases your holiday request should be granted provided there is cover available. In other cases, it's more complicated.
e.g. My company is open for business for the three days between Christmas and New Year. Usually we operate with a skeleton staff for these three days and try to rotate from one year to the next which members of staff take these days off as holiday. (Non of the managers or directors are allowed.)
My point is, it would be unreasonable for a memeber of staff to ask "can I have the Christmas break for the next five years?" - plenty of notice given, but not too fair on his collegues!

No offence intended. - It sounds like you're in a difficult position and I don't envy you. Unless you're on fantastic terms, maybe it's time to move on.

Rich