Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Supermarket Petrol ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2010, 02:12 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supermarket Petrol ?

A while back I noticed I got less mpg, consistently when using Tesco Unleaded doing the same journey compared to Shell in my old Saab, the new one never seems to run properly so I just go to the local Shell station as I know it will run right, the wife put some in the other day at Sainsbury's, Super Plus and now the car wont boost, it shudders and the engine check light has come on, I suspect they dont sell much SUL and consequently its either old, crap or full of water, is there any way I can get it checked, how should I take this up with them ?

Luckily, she only put £20 worth in as she gets bored standing there, cheers, means with £20 I have to go back after about 50 miles at current prices !
Old 20 March 2010, 04:41 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty convinced my car run best on Tesco 99
Old 20 March 2010, 04:44 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
I'm pretty convinced my car run best on Tesco 99
so did mine,I only use v power if i can't find a local tesco
Old 20 March 2010, 04:48 PM
gcb2309
Scooby Regular

I must admit that mine always seems to run better on TESCO 99 than V Power ill only use V power if the Light is on as its a trip to Tesco's
Old 20 March 2010, 04:57 PM
JulioJordio2
Scooby Regular

I seem to get better mpg on Shell than Tesco, Ive noticed 20-30 miles extra with Shell. My Classic is mapped for V Power, probably why.
Old 20 March 2010, 05:53 PM
SubaruDude
Scooby Regular

I recently melted a piston on sainsburys junk here in N.I. Need a new engine now..
Old 20 March 2010, 07:13 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

mine does more to the gallon on 99 tescos than texaco 97 ron v power i get less than both
Old 20 March 2010, 07:20 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

i get better mileage from v power than tesco 99 and it is quite a difference and the car feels smother and more lively
Old 20 March 2010, 07:20 PM
superstar1
BANNED

Originally Posted by J4CKO
A while back I noticed I got less mpg, consistently when using Tesco Unleaded doing the same journey compared to Shell in my old Saab, the new one never seems to run properly so I just go to the local Shell station as I know it will run right, the wife put some in the other day at Sainsbury's, Super Plus and now the car wont boost, it shudders and the engine check light has come on, I suspect they dont sell much SUL and consequently its either old, crap or full of water, is there any way I can get it checked, how should I take this up with them ?

Luckily, she only put £20 worth in as she gets bored standing there, cheers, means with £20 I have to go back after about 50 miles at current prices !
Was that the Sainsbury's in Heald Green next to John Lewis? That's supposed to be the cheapest place for fuel in the area, but not much good if there's water in it, i'll stay clear.
Old 20 March 2010, 07:31 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by superstar1
Was that the Sainsbury's in Heald Green next to John Lewis? That's supposed to be the cheapest place for fuel in the area, but not much good if there's water in it, i'll stay clear.
Yes, thats the one, cant say for definite thats the problem but the car is remapped and if it doesnt like the fuel it complains by stuttering, its not been used for a couple of weeks but was fine before.
Old 20 March 2010, 07:34 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Funny you should mention that. I usually get two weeks out of a full tank using Ultimate.
I used Sainsburys and only got 9 days. Thought I just had a lead foot for a few days
Old 20 March 2010, 08:03 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I sounds a bit mad but my dad tested the theory as he was sceptical to say the least and said he got the same results.
Old 20 March 2010, 08:30 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I sounds a bit mad but my dad tested the theory as he was sceptical to say the least and said he got the same results.
Thing is, the Supermarket Super was only 2p cheaper than the ruddy Ultimate.
Thanks J4CKO, I might have just carried on thinking it was my fault. Back to Ultimate for me
Old 20 March 2010, 09:13 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Well, went to the local Shell station and topped it up with 45 quids worth of Vpower and its fine now, stuttering under boost on the way there, drove to the in laws like my **** was on fire and it was restored to full health, driving the father in laws A6 3.0 tdi to drop them off at a do and expected it to feel quicker than mine but it doesnt, bloody lovely car though.
Old 20 March 2010, 09:37 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

This would be the supermarket petrol that doesn't come from any of the 9

refineries in the uk lol, that the refinery, switches to substandard grade

every time a supermarket tanker fills up.

Mart
Old 20 March 2010, 09:43 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

You drive a Saab, J4cko , you should know these cars make subaru's look bloody bulletproof, given the fact that they can go on and off boost, develop CEL's more times than you can blink.

Search any of the Saab boards, and the boost/ trionic / di cassette / egr valve issues, are to saab owners, what turbo failures after oil changes / cocklinks are to scooby owners.

Try running around on cruise control, and see how your mileage improves

Mart
Old 20 March 2010, 09:44 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360

Mart

Quite right.

Steve
Old 20 March 2010, 10:21 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

You drive a Saab, J4cko , you should know these cars make subaru's look bloody bulletproof, given the fact that they can go on and off boost, develop CEL's more times than you can blink.

Search any of the Saab boards, and the boost/ trionic / di cassette / egr valve issues, are to saab owners, what turbo failures after oil changes / cocklinks are to scooby owners.

Try running around on cruise control, and see how your mileage improves

Mart
Its generally fairly relaible, the last one very much so apart from having to re-torque the head as it came loose !

CEL is still on but its running fine, will disconnect the battery tommorow, will need to whip the front wheels off as well as because I never a use it the front disks corrode and the crust on the edges touches the brake shield and makes a right racket, wheel off, wire brush job done.

Never use the bloody thing (7,000 miles in 2.5 years), wouldnt buy another unless the new offerings, should they materialise are a lot better, Driving that Audi, though its a bit dull is very nice and the interior is several leagues ahead, funnily enough for a Posh Vectra I cant understand why the Vectra has a better interior ? might try and look premium but it has all the quality of a Dixons own brand 99 quid midi system.

Last edited by J4CKO; 20 March 2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 21 March 2010, 03:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have seen this mentioned before J4CKO and it was said then that the cheaper fuel in some supermarkets does not have the additives that they put into fully branded fuel. When they first brought out unleaded fuel there were some cars that did not like running on that either.

Les
Old 21 March 2010, 05:53 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Soerted out the CEL, just disconnected the battery for a minute, sorted the noise when turning, bloody disks go crusty at the edges and touch the back plates and/or fill with bits of oxidised disks, screwdriver, wire brush, job done.

Repairs so far on Saab since Oct 2007 - £0
Old 21 March 2010, 08:53 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

As i don't have a turbo or for that matter a high performance n/a petrol engine my motor just sucks on 95ron. Local Tesco petrol has generally made my car run like crap and hesitate badly at lower speeds. My best friends mum's car shat itself due to Tesco's diesel fuel which aint good!
Old 21 March 2010, 10:12 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Mart
Do I detect a little cynicism there?

Your surely not suggesting that the very same refinery that supplies Shell and BP etc also supply Tesco and Sainsbury?

That would be a scandal

I had £15 worth of Tesco money off vouchers this week....I've spent them all on petrol.
Old 21 March 2010, 10:27 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Your surely not suggesting that the very same refinery that supplies Shell and BP etc also supply Tesco and Sainsbury?

That would be a scandal

I had £15 worth of Tesco money off vouchers this week....I've spent them all on petrol.
I am sceptical myself but can only go on my own findings, filled up with £20 worth of SUL at Sainsbury's and it runs like crap, stuttering, CEL comes on, put £45 worth of Vpower in and it runs fine, I was thinking potentially that there was a problem at that particular station.

The economy thing again, if I hadnt seen it myself I wouldnt have beleived it, but it was consistent that the car did more to a tank, I suppose there may be some other reason but on the face of it, it looked like the Tesco petrol wasnt giving the same mpg.
Old 21 March 2010, 10:37 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

That would be a scandal

Well do Tesco and Sainsbury have a oil refinery somewhere that we dont know of?
Old 21 March 2010, 11:02 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

no im a driver for said company shell kingsbury and e port they buy substandard fuel at a lower premium thats why you get supermarket prices tesco value
Old 21 March 2010, 11:11 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Oddly enough my car is the opposite, it appears to run better on Sainsbury's Super Unleaded than Tesco's 99RON with Sainsbury's fuel been a full 3p per litre cheaper (Tesco SUL 120.9p / Sainsbury SUL 117.9p) it seems the better choice for me, so far I've not had a single problem yet <Touch wood>.
Old 21 March 2010, 11:12 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by g7prs
Well do Tesco and Sainsbury have a oil refinery somewhere that we dont know of?
I think its at the back of the store between the bread and fresh meats counters .
Old 21 March 2010, 11:26 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by nick schofield
no im a driver for said company shell kingsbury and e port they buy substandard fuel at a lower premium thats why you get supermarket prices tesco value

I was just going to ask the question

I'm with J4CKO, I certainly got very poor fuel consumption when I used Supermarket.
Old 21 March 2010, 11:40 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I am sceptical myself but can only go on my own findings, filled up with £20 worth of SUL at Sainsbury's and it runs like crap, stuttering, CEL comes on, put £45 worth of Vpower in and it runs fine, I was thinking potentially that there was a problem at that particular station.

The economy thing again, if I hadnt seen it myself I wouldnt have beleived it, but it was consistent that the car did more to a tank, I suppose there may be some other reason but on the face of it, it looked like the Tesco petrol wasnt giving the same mpg.
Wow you got seen coming

just buy some Millers additive
Millers Diesel Power 500ml from Halfords Price £12.99
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...amiaa&istBid=t

3 shots covers 60 L 6 shots will give a nice boost!! far less than vmax, and lasts far longer

Mart

Last edited by mart360; 21 March 2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 22 March 2010, 11:11 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I get at least 20-30 more miles from BP or Shell SUL compared to Sainsburys SUL, so I won't use the supermarket crap now. Thats in a 210bhp remapped 2001 Leon Cupra.

Quick Reply: Supermarket Petrol ?