Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Show home tricks..

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2010, 10:22 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Show home tricks..

Went to look at a new build house with a friend today...

He has have actually bought one of them,but we went to the show house to have a look...

4 bedroom with twin receptions,with garage seemed nice..

But i noticed that all the furniture in the house was smaller than usual,im sure it was to make the house look more spacious..

Also the 4 "double" bedrooms seemed to have smaller than normal double beds,more like a single and a half..

The bathroom was only 6x6,and the bath seemed small too..

Every light was on in the house,and it was sweltering in there.Upstairs made you feel woosy..But the heating wasnt on......lol.....

weird...
Old 19 March 2010, 10:29 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Maybe a Japanese family have already moved in?
Old 19 March 2010, 10:33 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

How about the smell of fresh coffee or bread in the kitchen?
Old 19 March 2010, 11:06 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Gimme old houses any day. 9' ceilings and rooms which allow the swinging of cats. We have friends living in new-builds, and although the perfect finish, good insulation and sheer quantity of rooms is nice, the size of the many rooms makes me claustrophobic. I can almost touch both sides of their living room arms outstretched, and the en-suite is smaller than our wardrobes. You spend the whole time shuffling between the crammed in furniture or apologising for getting in everybody's way as they shuffle about.
Old 19 March 2010, 11:43 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Yep, all the lights on is usual for show homes, as is only having small sofas and chairs. Most tables will be glass/ clear so the floor space looks bigger too. Carpets are usually identical in every room also.

I looked around one with friends who were picturing themselves living this lovely 'lifestyle'. They failed to notice there was no space at all in the kitchen for a fridge freezer and that in the bedrooms there wasn't a wardrobe to be seen just low level chest of drawers. No where to store an ironing board or vacuum cleaner either.
Old 20 March 2010, 10:44 AM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Gimme old houses any day. 9' ceilings and rooms which allow the swinging of cats. We have friends living in new-builds, and although the perfect finish, good insulation and sheer quantity of rooms is nice, the size of the many rooms makes me claustrophobic. I can almost touch both sides of their living room arms outstretched, and the en-suite is smaller than our wardrobes. You spend the whole time shuffling between the crammed in furniture or apologising for getting in everybody's way as they shuffle about.
Totally agree, but what about running costs?
Old 20 March 2010, 11:08 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Its like the DFS adverts where they picked very petite actors to play the happy families on the sofas.

They got done for that!

Trending Topics

Old 20 March 2010, 11:21 AM
scooby-yan
Scooby Regular

show homes have all the furniture specially made smaller to fool the buyers!! its to make the rooms appear bigger.
Old 20 March 2010, 02:13 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What a load of con artists (liars!)

Les
Old 20 March 2010, 07:40 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

There is light coloured light reflecting paint used in most of them also to make the rooms seem brighter and more spacious. Small furniture is nothing new, and lights on in all rooms in par for the course. Personally I would rather view one after dark with the lights on to see what a crap job has been done on the plastering!!!!
Old 20 March 2010, 09:00 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

There'll be no TV in the lounge either......
Old 20 March 2010, 09:12 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1

The bathroom was only 6x6,and the bath seemed small too..

Every light was on in the house,and it was sweltering in there.Upstairs made you feel woosy..But the heating wasnt on......lol.....

weird...
Thats an average size for a bathroom in most modern houses as they generally seem to have a few ensuites and a downstairs toilet so the need for a massive bathroom seems obsolete??? As for the heat due to modern insulation and the walls being drylined and concrete floors makes for a much warmer house
Old 20 March 2010, 09:20 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Yea,

But it wasnt a warm day...

Im all for insulation,but there is no way you could tolerate the heat in that house on a warm day..

Great in winter,sh1te in summer..

6x6 maybe average but that is far too small for a family bathroom.It did have an ensuite to the main bedroom,but just a shower,toilet and basin..

Downstairs did have a toilet with basin... But what if you want a good bath ? If the actual room was only 6ft,i bet the tub size was about 5ft 4"..

Waste of bloody time...

Dr No..... Correct,no TV in the lounge.I did comment on that,there wasnt even a decent wall to mount one too.Only space was above the fire..

Last edited by fatscoobfella1; 20 March 2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 20 March 2010, 09:24 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i saw a show home juggle 7 live koala bears once

and that is some trick
Old 20 March 2010, 10:12 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Downstairs did have a toilet with basin... But what if you want a good bath ? If the actual room was only 6ft,i bet the tub size was about 5ft 4"..

Waste of bloody time...

I'm only working in flats at the moment but the bath size is standard across the range, I'll measure it up tomorrow and post what size they are. I would say a big bathroom in a modern 4 bedroom home is on average 8ft x 6ft. I think it would be very rare to get a bathroom bigger than that unless you have payed out for a big 4 bedroomed house.
Old 20 March 2010, 10:43 PM
V5RLTD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Personally I would rather view one after dark with the lights on to see what a crap job has been done on the plastering!!!!
Although most if not all new builds down this way are tape/jointed which is f ing crap! I am slightly biased though
Old 20 March 2010, 11:32 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by V5RVLTD
Although most if not all new builds down this way are tape/jointed which is f ing crap! I am slightly biased though

Most people prefer the taped houses, site management that is although they hate the extra time it takes to complete the house as compared to plastering, I have seen loads of houses turned out by persimmon homes and I have to admit the ones which are pastered are far superior to the ones which are taped. It may depend on who does the work ? But like for like plastered is better
Old 21 March 2010, 09:24 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Taped ?????

Whats that???

Surely the plaster board isnt put up and the joints taped instead of skimming with plaster?

Our bathroom is 9ft x 6.5ft,and we have a small house,albeit 200yrs old...

I guess new houses are just not for me,every inch seems maximised.And if you put in a table or TV or any other bit of furniture that isnt bespoke to that house,then your "space" is ruined....New houses just look like turd rolled in glitter to me.

Probably why there so cheap in comparison to a "real" house of the same size..

Last edited by fatscoobfella1; 21 March 2010 at 09:25 AM. Reason: spellin !!
Old 21 March 2010, 10:27 AM
V5RLTD
Scooby Regular

Taped ?????

Whats that???

Surely the plaster board isnt put up and the joints taped instead of skimming with plaster? size..
Thats about the size of it mate yes. They scrim the plasterboard joints then fill it with glorified polyfilla and sand it off to nothing and paint it! The same is done with the screw heads. A special wire reinforced tape goes around the window reveals and then you guessed it, filled and sanded off to nothing!
So in effect, most of the wall is just painted plasterboard which offers no impact protection whatsoever! To name just one of the disadvantages
As Steve says plastering is much much better. Not sure why they dont do it tbh, not alot in cost or time to do it. Drying time?
Old 21 March 2010, 11:04 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

My new build bathroom is 9ft by 6.25ft, can't see why you would want one bigger!
Old 21 March 2010, 11:14 AM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

We recently went to look around a lot, and I was impressed by none, the only selling point to one was that it was next to a lake and nature reserve but knowing our luck it would flood within 2 months of moving lol

And the garages, a must for somewhere to put the car, but id be all on to actually open the feckin door once its parked in situ......lets face it, they are just glorified storage area's with a roll down door thesedays.
Old 21 March 2010, 12:14 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Most show homes have the internal doors removed ...

TX.
Old 22 March 2010, 08:34 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Aye,realise that..

But its cheeky aint it...

Its all smoke and mirrors!.........lol.......
Old 22 March 2010, 10:52 AM
superstar1
BANNED

Moved into a new build five years ago, a three storey town house with the lounge upstairs. We had to take the banisters down to get the sofas and other items up the stairs, and then we had to remove the lounge door to get everything into the room.
Other people on the estate had to remove windows and lift all the furniture up and in through the openings with the assistance of the site JCB telescopic loader.
Old 22 March 2010, 02:58 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corradoboy
rooms which allow the swinging of cats.

Who actually swings cats
Old 22 March 2010, 04:48 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a bit like the makeover progs on TV. When they show the 'new' bedroom it only has a bed and side cabinet in it. First of all you think oooh what a lovely big airy bedroom. Then you realise yours would look just as good/big if you removed all the wardrobes and dressing table etc etc