Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What's best?

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2010, 01:55 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's best?

Basically, I need to lose weight, tone up, get fit....

What is the best exercise equipment for this? I was leaning towards a treadmill, but after a little bit conversation with some peeps more in the know than me, it seems a cross trainer may be better suited.

I have dodgy knees, not helped by being a bit cuddly I've tried changing diet etc. but nothing seems to work, so I feel exercise is the sensible way forward.

In an ideal world there'd be an easy fix, but there's not.

I don't want to go to the gym at this point in time, so really need to look for something I can have at home.

I don't have alot of money to spend to say the least, so can't afford top end stuff.

As an add on, if anyone has any unwanted half decent stuff, I'll give it a new home (if the price is right...or free)

Cheers for any advice.
Old 18 March 2010, 02:07 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a months supply of Protikee I've not used
Old 18 March 2010, 02:11 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Not that I am an expert but three good meals a day with plenty of veg protein and low fat follwed by a couple of eca stacks
Old 18 March 2010, 02:14 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

e + caffiene + asprin?

I think the original e from that equation is frowned upon. Unless the rules have changed.
Old 18 March 2010, 08:38 AM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Walking and sex
Old 18 March 2010, 08:39 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

first get a proper pair of running trainers (you will need to go to a proper running shop)

then go for 20 min power walks (not running or jogging) and increase to an hour after a couple of week or so

it is very time efficient -- i.e step out of your door, do a 20 min circuit and bang -- back home

power walking uses about the same cals as jogging btw (without the strain on the knees)
Old 18 March 2010, 08:57 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Hi Lisa,

exercise is a good strategy however the reality is that to lose weight, exercise is a very hard way to lose weight.

The hardest workouts will use 400-500 calories an hour. That means if you don't change your eating habits then the you will need to work out, at the highest level of capacity, for an HOUR every day to make an impact on your weigth. Your fitness level will improve for sure, but you also need to change your diet.

There was an analysis over a 30 period of various weight loss plans and the only effective long term strategy was to eat less. Exercise was shown to make little or no difference on its own.

So like Charlotte Church (and my post-baby partner) the best strategy is to eat less. And they both lost over two stones!
Old 18 March 2010, 09:15 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xx-IAN-xX
Walking and sex
This sounds like a plan Lisa-so walk to my house, might be a few hundred miles but will burn a good few calories off then i will help you with the sex ( i guess the walk will burn more calories off you then the sex with me tho)

Sorted
Old 18 March 2010, 09:26 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I found just eating less and cutting out things like biscuits, crisps, dairy (up to a point) and bread coupled with 3 good sessions on a cross trainer a week did wonders for my weight.

I didn't miss the things I cut out of my diet after a few weeks and I liked being able to push myself harder on the cross trainer. I can see how it gets addictive.
Old 18 March 2010, 09:29 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Less carbs, it will work, seriously! I know you're a fussy so and so and I know you also don't eat very much, I also know you are very active at work. I think it's that when you do eat you tend to eat a whole day's food in one go and that it's very carby. I was a complete carb addict but have managed to kick the habit and feel so much better for it and I'm a fussier eater than you There are other foods out there, you've just got to find something that you like that isn't carb heavy. That's the hard part! I'm now addicted to soya products with Splenda Once you start eating a less carby diet your blood sugar levels become more stable which in turn decreases the carb cravings that you get. The desire to eat platefuls of pasta disappears. I don't think it's lack of exercise that is your problem because you are pretty active, I think you just need to eat little and often, and less carbs I guarantee that my method will work, it works for me and has cured me of my carboholicism

But, if you want to exercise get a dance work-out DVD and pretend you're up on stage in front of thousands of fans giving it your all - but shut the curtains first I think the thing with exercise is to do something that you enjoy

Last edited by Scoobychick; 18 March 2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 18 March 2010, 09:57 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

What about Wii Fit, Lisa. At least after your workout you can enjoy some games

Don't waste money on a treadmill, we've got a fully kitted out gym in the cellar and no one ever goes in there
Old 18 March 2010, 10:08 AM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

eat less is correct, but some exercise as well will help. also try to cut out bread, use skimmed milk instead of semi and have sweetex rather than sugar.
Old 18 March 2010, 10:12 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
What about Wii Fit, Lisa. At least after your workout you can enjoy some games
I've got one of those, I bought it last summer. It's still in the box unopened But I'm assured they're brilliant

I agree on the exercise machine thing. I bought a treadmill, used it for a week then it spent the next few years gathering dust and piles of clothing. I eventually gave it away

My favourite form of exercise is shopping, a few laps of Bluewater is an AWESOME work-out but the key is to walk fast between shops, don't dawdle. When you try clothes on, try at least three items and always get changed as fast as you can. Time yourself using a stopwatch to see if you can get your jeans and boots back on a little bit more quickly each time. Park the car further away than normal and ALWAYS as far away from the shop you want to go to most. Buy heavy things (shoes are good for this) in twos and carry each bag in each hand and lift your arms slightly as you rush around looking for the next bargain. It's as good as using dumbells. Bluewater is particularly good for exercise as you have to walk all the way around the bloody place due it's circular design and no short-cuts but I'm sure you can devise a similar workout in the Metro Centre Just avoid the fast food outlets but DO allow yourself a Starbuck's soya sugar free latte at the end for being a good girl
Old 18 March 2010, 10:16 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Get a mountain bike. Set up properly it will pose no problem to your knees and should ultimately benefit them.

You get fit and get to ride about in the countryside / fresh air. With the evenings now getting lighter an hour ride after work should be doable, more so once the clocks have changed. Once your into it a good set of lights and some wet weather gear will keep you riding through all but the worst of the winter weather.

If you can commute by bike even better still!
Old 18 March 2010, 11:14 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Basically, I need to lose weight, tone up, get fit....

What is the best exercise equipment for this? I was leaning towards a treadmill, but after a little bit conversation with some peeps more in the know than me, it seems a cross trainer may be better suited.

I have dodgy knees, not helped by being a bit cuddly I've tried changing diet etc. but nothing seems to work, so I feel exercise is the sensible way forward.

In an ideal world there'd be an easy fix, but there's not.

I don't want to go to the gym at this point in time, so really need to look for something I can have at home.

I don't have alot of money to spend to say the least, so can't afford top end stuff.

As an add on, if anyone has any unwanted half decent stuff, I'll give it a new home (if the price is right...or free)

Cheers for any advice.
I would have thought the housework would keep you pretty fit.

Les
Old 18 March 2010, 11:34 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Leslie
I would have thought the housework would keep you pretty fit.

Les

So would I, but being chained to the sink, I can only do so much.
Old 18 March 2010, 11:41 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

I dropped about 2 stone over the course of a year, just by giving up the booze.

It was a doddle, although it helps that the missus tends to make healthy meals anyway as she is constantly winging on about putting on weight every second or so

After giving up booze for so long it has changed me into somebody who does not actually look forward to "getting bladdered"

If i go to the pub i will have a few and thats usually it.
Old 18 March 2010, 11:43 AM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Have you tried just having smaller portions of food?
Old 18 March 2010, 11:46 AM
Lisawrx

On a more serious note, thanks for the replies.

We are going to go out on walks on an evening now anyway, so see how that goes. I would just like something for in the house so I can do more than just go for a walk, and if I don't feel like getting out, there is something here I can use.

As for cycling, I have never liked it or for that matter been very good at it. I'd be a danger to myself and others.

When it comes to diet, yes Sal is right, mine is quite carb heavy but I don't eat a huge amount. I don't like very much so that makes life quite difficult. And virtually everyday, having just one meal isn't helping. I'm trying to change that.
Old 18 March 2010, 12:09 PM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Swim, swim, swim and when you have finished swimming.........swim some more.

The best low impact excersise you can do.

Forget WII Fit, its a load of w**k for lazy people who don't want to train properly. It's an old cliche but 'no pain, no gain'!
Old 18 March 2010, 12:31 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Here's another handy tip: Drink a large glass of water/squash/mug of tea just before you eat your meals - you'll be full up more quickly so will eat less

And another: Really take your time when eating, sit down at the table, put your knife and fork down after each mouthful and really take your time to chew and enjoy your food. You'll feel full earlier on in the meal so will eat less

The drinking water/squash/tea thing makes a huge difference. Sometimes, what you think is hunger is actually just thirst. If I feel hungry now I usually have a drink first to see if that cures it, it usually does.

Also, get a book on nutrition, learning about how food works with your body helps you to make better meal choices. Oh, and buy a low-carb cookbook If you're anything like me (which I know you are ) you'll probably have to make a choice whether to spend the rest of your life abstaining from nice (bad) food in order to maintain a figure that you're happy with, or giving up and eating what you like but living with a figure you don't like.

Not much of a choice I know!
Old 18 March 2010, 12:36 PM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
I dropped about 2 stone over the course of a year, just by giving up the booze.

It was a doddle, although it helps that the missus tends to make healthy meals anyway as she is constantly winging on about putting on weight every second or so

After giving up booze for so long it has changed me into somebody who does not actually look forward to "getting bladdered"

If i go to the pub i will have a few and thats usually it.
Me too, I stopped drinking as heavily last January (2009) whenever I met my girlfriend, she doesn't drink due to health reasons so I found myself drinking less and also I have stopped eating take away's and lots of microwavable food and started eating more healthy proper dinners with fresh ingredients. But it would seem as I have lost the weight Herself has put it on !!!!! She has a number of mobility / joint problems and diabetes (sp) so she has not been able to move much and eats alot of sugary food but somethings not much else. She has went from a size 8 - 10 to a size 12 - 14 and recently she has decided that she is fat but being the loving boyfriend I have to tell her that she isn't fat.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but I got carried away, basically eat more healthy food and drink less

windyboy

Last edited by windyboy; 18 March 2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 18 March 2010, 12:49 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

An interesting thing I read in Runners World a month or so back, was that if you keep eating exactly the same amount as your are now, then to lose 1kg of fat (in a week) you would have to run 10 miles a day for 7 days.

All I can suggest, is to invest in a heart rate monitor, then train 60 - 70% of your maximum heart rate, a good site if it interests you, below;

Heart Rate Training Zones
Old 18 March 2010, 01:11 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A combination of diet and exercise (including weights) is the best soloution. Most women think they will look like arnie of they start doing weights but the truth is women do not produce enough teststerone to get big. Muslce not only helps you looked more toned but raises your metabolism. So even when you are sleeping you burn more calories.
Personally I'd stay away from epherpine unless you only have a few lbs to lose, as your body quickly becomes used to it and you have to up the dose very quickly which can be fatal.
Old 18 March 2010, 01:16 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just eat healthy, as in only the stuff you need to eat, and do plenty of cardio. That's the simple answer.
Old 18 March 2010, 08:51 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

I have a treadmill at home and do actually use it on a daily basis. I have had other exercise gear in the past that have become glorified clothes horses but for some reason the treadmill is different - I think it's because it has thirty minute programs (ie about the same time as various TV shows and I have a TV facing it). The programs keep it interesting and I can easily find 30-40 minutes in a day so it's not a chore.
I am not sure if it has helped me lose weight though, although my general fitness and stamina has improved massively, I think the weight loss was more down to diet.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on the net on exercise/ diet etc. For me it was a case of finding out what suited me and sticking to it - I need a low carb plan but my SIL does better with high carb and low protein. I'm not a gym person because I am too easily distracted but some people are more motivated at a gym.
Old 18 March 2010, 09:26 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

look into a hi fibre diet i am diabetic and have been on one for almost 30 years i have never been over 13-1/2stone 6ft1 34waist and 46 chest i used to work out but gave it up when i had a bike crash . go totally hi fibre and you will never feel hungry because it fills you up more than normal food. example how many roast potatoes can you eat 4 now try eating 4 jacket potatoes you wony manage it . it will take a few weeks before your stomach settles 1st 2 weeks will be on loo a lot but after that it gets better , the theroe is the food passes through your body before it can absorb all the fats and sugars well its worked for me for almost 30years
Old 18 March 2010, 09:55 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Join a council run gym with swimming pool and other facilities. You'll feel like a bit of a lemon the first time, but after that it will be fine...even better if you can go out of peak hours. Way better than spending money on a machine that you'll hardly use.

Also try a 2nd hand bike and see how you get on......being able to cover larger distances really appeals to me. I lost 2 stone cycling in 2008!
Old 18 March 2010, 10:05 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Exercise simply isn't even necessary if you get your relationship with food correct.