Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Have all middle aged men driving people carriers got a chip on there shoulder?

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2010, 12:09 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have all middle aged men driving people carriers got a chip on there shoulder?

I had the audacity to overtake a small VW people carrier this morning when they were cruising at 50mph in a national limit. That was it all hell broke loose!

A series of signals from his vehicle made up of constant flashing headlights ensued and every time I overtook someone else he chased after me swerving all over the place and tailgating me pushing oncoming cars out the way to try and stay on my bumper.

This is not the first time I have experienced the wrath of a people carrier driver are they suffering from a similar thing to "little man syndrome"? but it would have to be called "small engine kid mobile syndrome".

I think its a lot of built up anger and resentment that is caused by there wife/girlfriend/partner forcing them to buy a people carrier when what they actually wanted was an MX5 soft top??
Old 17 March 2010, 12:11 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Mid life crisis I imagine!

Les
Old 17 March 2010, 12:31 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Probably right... I've had to buy a Discovery 3 for the family ferrying... at least I get to keep the scoob...

(Overtaking in the D3 is a huge waste of time... unless you have a mile of straight and do not care about the smoke screen you leave behind )

Last edited by scooby L; 17 March 2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 17 March 2010, 01:54 PM
Bicco
Scooby Regular

I know exactly what you mean! Came off a roundabout on a local duel carrigway the other day, minding my own business, randomly noticed a picasso in my rear view, a few second later i hit the national speedlimit and stop accelerating, as I look to my right I see the picasso weezing its way past me, guy gives me a rye grin and waves! Bet i`d barely even come on boost before changing gear, still he seemed well happy with himself, let him go on his merry way, amused me for a minute or two anyways!
Old 17 March 2010, 01:57 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Probably angry that the wife made them buy the sensible car.
Old 17 March 2010, 02:06 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

The flashing of the headlights is simply in recognition of your brilliantly executed overtaking manoeuvre. I always wave to them in thanks when I get this

In this particular instance it sounds like they were so impressed they wanted a repeat performance. I'd have pulled over and let them past, waited half a mile or so and repeated the overtake
Old 17 March 2010, 02:15 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I too wave at them although with just one or two fingers to save time ...

TX.
Old 17 March 2010, 02:25 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Terminator X
I too wave at them although with just one or two fingers to save time ...

TX.
yes this actually works -- because they usually give you a similiar wave back
Old 17 March 2010, 02:39 PM
iuchabar
Scooby Regular

i am looking out for a bumper sticker that reads "yes, please tailgate me, I really do drive an Impreza JUST so you can race me in your 1.8TDi Vecpugastrocus"

love 'em.
Old 17 March 2010, 02:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't you be pissed off if you were ***** whipped by your missus into buying one of them?
Old 17 March 2010, 03:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I've been noticing this for years. At first it was just in France, where two out of every three drivers has a people carrier, and THREE out of every three drivers just KNOWS that HIS car is faster than yours

My kids used to refer to people carriers as "vans with windows"

I especially like the ones with a spoiler on top, I mean, wtf? Something with the aerodynamics of a housebrick and it has a SPOILER???
Old 17 March 2010, 03:43 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

blow them a big kiss and watch the volcano errupt
Old 17 March 2010, 05:50 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have both .. and I don't get upset if someone overtakes me lol ...
Old 17 March 2010, 06:04 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do I count, 39 and occasionally drive my wife's Galaxy (the newer shape one), actually find it very relaxing to drive as the suspension is superb, it handles tidily for a big bus and the performance is better than adequate but no matter what, I am under no illusions its quick by any stretch and just tend to chill when driving it, i dont feel like I need to prove anything or somehow inferior, far from it as it cost twenty grand is paid for and my fertile loins filled it with male progeny, all done by the time I was thirty and am getting some semblance of civilised life back now they are all ten or over, will run a it a few more years and go back to interesting cars when we no longer cart all three and their detritus about.

We looked at the seven seat off roaders (briefly) but they offered nothing to us that we needed over what the Galaxy would do and cost more, apart from a bit of bling, ninety percent of off roaders dont get used as such, so I couldnt justify a Discovery or XC90 (the two we considered) over a Galaxy, both nice but 25 mpg from a diesel for the sake of it being slightly less tragic than an MPV, no thanks. Generally they are a little bit more "premium" but again they dont do anything extra, it's all about personal choice and go on, admit it a bit of showing off in the suburban pecking order. for me either is a compromise compared to what I would actually want and if I spend less on the compromise I have more to spend on what I want when I no longer have to compromise due to family commitments.

Its my Saab that p1sses me off and makes me ratty, hard suspensions that isnt actually all that effective, occasional slipping clutch, 20 mpg and even though its fairly quick it doesnt fill me with excitement, the Ford drives a lot better and is a more complete product, better in all ways apart from acceleration.

Anyway, I rarely have to drive anywhere these days as I walk or cycle so won't generally be seen mourning my advancing years and unfashionable vehicle choice and taking it out on the young beautiful people in Subaru's
Old 17 March 2010, 06:12 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

People carriers are the new "white van man". They have to be past you at all costs.
Old 17 March 2010, 06:21 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

Originally Posted by shooter007
blow them a big kiss and watch the volcano errupt
i do the same light the blue touch paper and stand back
Old 17 March 2010, 07:39 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

To be fair if I had to drive a people carrier i'd be pretty pi$$ed too. Hate the things with a passion, if I ever end up owning one i'm giving up on life.
Old 17 March 2010, 07:48 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
To be fair if I had to drive a people carrier i'd be pretty pi$$ed too. Hate the things with a passion, if I ever end up owning one i'm giving up on life.
Its just transport, it does a job and gets stuck in traffic just like any other car, for the opportunities to actually use interesting cars as they are intended sometimes its not worth it.

The idea is you have a few vehicles and use the most appropriate one for the job, if driving a car ith more than average seats is such a problem and driving something sporty is so central to your self worth and enjoyment of life then it sounds like you are probably putting to much emphasis on cars, much as I love cars I dont plunge into a depression at the thought of driving a People Carrier, sometimes its about the journey, sat in traffic in a Porsche is less fun than a nice clear country road in a people carrier, swap it round and things are different but you need to take your enjoyment where you can.

Sometimes I upgrade to a "better" car and prefer the old one, Mk2 Golf GTI anyone, point being is you can enjoy anything so take it on face value and dont always look for more or better.
Old 17 March 2010, 08:03 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Ah this is annoying but nowhere near as annoying as the focus driver who drives at 40mph in a 60 zone because its a safe economical speed and proceeds on at 40mph in a 30 zone.
Old 17 March 2010, 08:19 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Its just transport, it does a job and gets stuck in traffic just like any other car, for the opportunities to actually use interesting cars as they are intended sometimes its not worth it.

The idea is you have a few vehicles and use the most appropriate one for the job, if driving a car ith more than average seats is such a problem and driving something sporty is so central to your self worth and enjoyment of life then it sounds like you are probably putting to much emphasis on cars, much as I love cars I dont plunge into a depression at the thought of driving a People Carrier, sometimes its about the journey, sat in traffic in a Porsche is less fun than a nice clear country road in a people carrier, swap it round and things are different but you need to take your enjoyment where you can.

Sometimes I upgrade to a "better" car and prefer the old one, Mk2 Golf GTI anyone, point being is you can enjoy anything so take it on face value and dont always look for more or better.
Thanks for that Jacko, clearly you drive a people carrier, and good luck to you glad your happy with it.

Personally I drive around 60 miles per day commuting, i'm fortunate enough (or unfortunate with some of the hours I work) not to get stuck in traffic generally. I don't frive a Porsche far from it, but for the ammount of time I spend in a car I want to enjoy it, not be stuck in a car which bores me stupid. I don't need a sporty car to enjoy life, but if I can own one then why not?

I can appreciate your view as "Its just transport, it does a job and gets stuck in traffic just like any other car" that's what my wife thinks too, but if that was the case then people wouldn't buy Subaru's etc, we would probably all drive Zafira's or similar.
Old 17 March 2010, 08:22 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Do I count, 39 and occasionally drive my wife's Galaxy (the newer shape one), actually find it very relaxing to drive as the suspension is superb, it handles tidily for a big bus and the performance is better than adequate but no matter what, I am under no illusions its quick by any stretch and just tend to chill when driving it, i dont feel like I need to prove anything or somehow inferior, far from it as it cost twenty grand is paid for and my fertile loins filled it with male progeny, all done by the time I was thirty and am getting some semblance of civilised life back now they are all ten or over, will run a it a few more years and go back to interesting cars when we no longer cart all three and their detritus about.

We looked at the seven seat off roaders (briefly) but they offered nothing to us that we needed over what the Galaxy would do and cost more, apart from a bit of bling, ninety percent of off roaders dont get used as such, so I couldnt justify a Discovery or XC90 (the two we considered) over a Galaxy, both nice but 25 mpg from a diesel for the sake of it being slightly less tragic than an MPV, no thanks. Generally they are a little bit more "premium" but again they dont do anything extra, it's all about personal choice and go on, admit it a bit of showing off in the suburban pecking order. for me either is a compromise compared to what I would actually want and if I spend less on the compromise I have more to spend on what I want when I no longer have to compromise due to family commitments.

Its my Saab that p1sses me off and makes me ratty, hard suspensions that isnt actually all that effective, occasional slipping clutch, 20 mpg and even though its fairly quick it doesnt fill me with excitement, the Ford drives a lot better and is a more complete product, better in all ways apart from acceleration.

Anyway, I rarely have to drive anywhere these days as I walk or cycle so won't generally be seen mourning my advancing years and unfashionable vehicle choice and taking it out on the young beautiful people in Subaru's
you don't have to justify your choice of cars (this is a Scooby forum after all)

personaly I hate mpv's, but it is a very personal view, we had to make the same decision - needing 7/8 seats

I went for Toyota Landcrusier -- but I bet on any measure (apart from as a 50. cal gun platform) the Galaxy (the one i would have) is a better familly vehicle

and even though I am not orange enough, if I wanted a RR sport (hatefull cars)i would have one and would simply ignore people laughing at me

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 17 March 2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 17 March 2010, 10:04 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
Thanks for that Jacko, clearly you drive a people carrier, and good luck to you glad your happy with it.
I occasionally drive the wife's one and dont find it too offensive, quite pleasant actually.

Most days I am on this as its only seven miles and I am trying to keep (get) fit.

Managed a door to door average of 19.7 mph today, that was, far from boring.
Old 17 March 2010, 10:10 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
In this particular instance it sounds like they were so impressed they wanted a repeat performance. I'd have pulled over and let them past, waited half a mile or so and repeated the overtake
LOL. I've done this before! IT really annoys them when they clock the Skoda badge as well

Steve
Old 17 March 2010, 10:25 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

I occasionally drive the wife's one and dont find it too offensive, quite pleasant actually.

Most days I am on this as its only seven miles and I am trying to keep (get) fit.

Managed a door to door average of 19.7 mph today, that was, far from boring.
Bloody hell thats impressive figures for that bike. I used to ride bikes a lot but always had pedals on mine
Old 17 March 2010, 10:43 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daddyscoob
Bloody hell thats impressive figures for that bike. I used to ride bikes a lot but always had pedals on mine
Mine does have the optional pedals I am glad to say.
Old 17 March 2010, 10:49 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

sorry but I couldn't resist
Old 18 March 2010, 01:37 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
you don't have to justify your choice of cars (this is a Scooby forum after all)

personaly I hate mpv's, but it is a very personal view, we had to make the same decision - needing 7/8 seats

I went for Toyota Landcrusier -- but I bet on any measure (apart from as a 50. cal gun platform) the Galaxy (the one i would have) is a better familly vehicle

and even though I am not orange enough, if I wanted a RR sport (hatefull cars)i would have one and would simply ignore people laughing at me
It does not bother me one jot, what folks are driving. It's when they start acting like a tit, that I get annoyed. And, unfortunately, most people carrier drivers are ****. (excludes J4CKO, of course )
They must hate the box on skinny wheels and just have to get past anything that looks remotely faster than them. Not hard to find to be honest.
And don't get me started on wimmins people carrier drivers. They just have to stick to the bum of your car. They must draw comfort from that.
Look, I can keep up, grrrrrr
Old 18 March 2010, 01:51 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

A man driving a spaz wagon? Neh.

It doesn't happen. Well not round here anyway. Everyone knows only women drive people carriers.

Jacko - 39? I always suspected you'd be + 10 years on that age.
Sorry.
Old 18 March 2010, 09:00 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Over 35 and driving a Zafira - do I count?
Old 18 March 2010, 09:14 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't

Jacko - 39? I always suspected you'd be + 10 years on that age.
Sorry.
Yeah but he's very cute

How about starting a new thread for us wimmins? 'Sexy older men and their people carriers'

Quick Reply: Have all middle aged men driving people carriers got a chip on there shoulder?