Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Wetshaving

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2010, 08:07 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wetshaving

How many of you do this, i have been using a proper de razor and badger brush along with a decent soap, the results imo are far better than any multi bladed razor that i've ever used all it takes is a bit of time and patience.

My current favourite razor is a merkur futur, aggressive though and i have also just started using a straight razor why is fun.

Anyone else?

YouTube - Introduction to Traditional Wetshaving, Part 1: Concepts
Old 08 March 2010, 10:17 PM
V5RLTD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mach 3 turbo im afraid
Old 09 March 2010, 12:23 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

My Fusion Power seems to do a good job, fairly fast too.

Les
Old 09 March 2010, 01:33 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

I get a reasonably close shave using a new Gillette Mach 3 also . Ive tried many other brands but they never shave as close, and hurt more! I'm always looking for a closer shave tho
Old 09 March 2010, 01:53 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

It looks nice but I just dont have enough time in my daily routine to go through all of that. I bet it feels amazing afterward though.
Old 09 March 2010, 04:09 PM
jsh1
Scooby Regular

I have tried a few and my current favourite is the King of Shaves Azor, personally I think that it is much better than the Gillette or Wilkinson Sword offerings.

It seems to shave closer and less aggressively

Jason
Old 09 March 2010, 04:43 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Originally Posted by Timwinner
It looks nice but I just dont have enough time in my daily routine to go through all of that. I bet it feels amazing afterward though.

It does, many forget the reason why the mach 3 etc is so much faster is that you are making 3/4 passes on each stroke but with a de it's just the one.

The shave is indeed amazing, a straight is the ultimate but it's quite a steep learning curve, i've managed to convert a couple folk and they wondered why they stuck with cartridge razors for so long, de razors are slowly making a comeback, not to mention 10 premium blades can be had for £2-£3 and last 4 or so shaves.

Hutton, many still reckon the sensor was the best cart razor gillette made because the more blades you have the more irritation it'll cause.

Half of what makes a difference is a good quality soap and a badger brush, lathering in a bowl takes some practice but it's not hard and ultimately worth it.

The mantic videos are worth a watch even if it's just for hints and tips rather than making the switch.

The azor is a funny thing, i liked it many did not but a de is still by far superior.
Old 09 March 2010, 04:48 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Gillette Fusion for me
Old 10 March 2010, 11:24 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Twin blade for me. Remember the old advert for it? 'The first blade shaves you close, the second closer still'. With a picture of the first blade pulling the hair out of it's follicle slightly so that the second blade cut it, effectively, below the level of the skin once it had settled back in.

Seems to me if that advert was anywhere close to the truth then they're just taking the mick if they now claim 3 or more blades give you a better shave. How could they? If 2 blades shave you so well that you now have no hair above skin level. .... They wouldn't lie about something like that now would they????

Dave
The multi blades last a great deal longer before they get too blunt to use.

Les
Old 10 March 2010, 11:40 AM
Alg
Scooby Regular

I use a badger bristle brush. Palmolive shaving soap and a standard gillette razor. Suits me just fine and I like to convince myself I'm slightly cultured using the brush.
Old 10 March 2010, 12:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've got a fusion power thing which isn't too bad. Tried a schick quattro which was evil incarnate, ripped my face to shreds. As for the soap, well I use Somersets Extra Sensitive Shaving Oil, my brother used it and got me to try it when he came over last year and I am rather impressed, smells pretty good and does a fantastic job, certainly better than the nivea shaving foam I'd used previously.

Bit hard to get over here though, so I get some sent over every once in a while.
Old 10 March 2010, 12:44 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

I just use a beard trimmer without a guard on. Keeps me at slight stubble otherwise I look about 18 (according to the wife)
Old 10 March 2010, 12:56 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a flymo
Old 10 March 2010, 01:00 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a bowl of milk and a kitten for me thanks!
Old 10 March 2010, 01:09 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
a bowl of milk and a kitten for me thanks!
Lol, a light breeze?
Old 10 March 2010, 01:56 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
My Fusion Power seems to do a good job, fairly fast too.

Les
+1

The blades are fairly expensive tho but they are a great comfy shave.
Old 10 March 2010, 02:08 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

always wet shave after a shower tried dry shaving once and i ended up looking like burns victim . face was sore for days

mach 3 ftw
Old 10 March 2010, 02:14 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Am seriously considering getting a DE razor after reading this thread.. Not going to spend a great deal on the gear just incase i hate it, but (sorry to thread hijack) What is a good shaving cream? and is it worth getting pre and post shaving balms?
Old 11 March 2010, 03:13 AM
hotsam
Scooby Regular

I always post in these threads because it took me years to find a good shave. What works for me...

1. Shave IN THE SHOWER. Get a mirror that won't fog.
2. Use a DE razor. I use a Merkur Hefty Classic.
3. Use Cremo Cream Shaving Cream.

Cremo Cream is unique because it contains no air. It's an extremely rich cream unlike any other non-foam luxury shave cream on the market today. It contains unique, super-lubricating, highly-slippery molecules that have been compounded with powerful skin conditioners to provide a smooth, close shave. Together, they make your blade glide smoothly over your skin astonishingly soft and smooth.
Amazon.com: Cremo Cream Superior Shave Cream: Beauty

It's not a lather, it's a cream (almost like a lotion). If I hadn't discovered this stuff, I'd have a beard.
Old 11 March 2010, 07:54 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Obviously for me it's just the legs under arm and lady area but the best is a Venus, not sure what the male equivalant is though.
The lady area is best suited to a disposable. Need a nice sharp blade, and couldn't use a Venus only once, and the pivoting head us a bit of a pain 'down there'.

My dad still uses an old school razor, he's approaching 60, enough said.
Old 11 March 2010, 12:35 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alg
I use a badger bristle brush. Palmolive shaving soap and a standard gillette razor. Suits me just fine and I like to convince myself I'm slightly cultured using the brush.
Quite right too!

I have got one of those brushes and I use bits of it to tie fishing flies with. Real badger hair is very good for that.

Les
Old 11 March 2010, 03:15 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
Am seriously considering getting a DE razor after reading this thread.. Not going to spend a great deal on the gear just incase i hate it, but (sorry to thread hijack) What is a good shaving cream? and is it worth getting pre and post shaving balms?
A merkur hd is good as suggested, personally i prefer the edwin jagger DE89L, people on badger and blade are raving about it.

Creams or soaps hmm personally i say soaps, takes a bit more effort to lather but you get a closer shave with better glide plus it lasts a sight longer anyway.

Trumpers
Taylors of old bond street
Truefitt & hill

Those three are your top favourites, any of those and your laughing.

This is a good kit to get you going, use the derby blades whilst you get used to it, then move onto astra superior, super iridiums or the super sharp feather blades.

Traditional Wet Shaving Starter Kit - Luxury Soap - £ 51.95 - free delivery available

Also have a nose at badger & blade, it's a great shaving forum that can help you with pretty much anything.

Nothing wrong with palmolive soap, it's tallow based so will cushion you very well so long as you can get around that scent and for 49p you really can't argue.

As for a brush, ebay silvertips are good and cheap for starting with, being the tart i am i went for a custom shavemac in best badger, next one will be finest badger with a wider knot[base width] and shorter loft[height]

Last edited by hux309; 11 March 2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11 March 2010, 04:05 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

I threw my Mach3 out a few years back when the blades ramped up in price and bought an Asda own brand triple razor with a huge load of replacement blades, i am actually down to my last blade now so i will be looking to see what else they do.

FWIW i got a closer shave from the asda setup than the mach3 stuff, although i did tend to cut my face a bit more.

One thing i cant get away with though is cheap shaving gel/foam, my face prefers the good stuff, the cheap stuff just irritates me.
Old 11 March 2010, 06:13 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
I threw my Mach3 out a few years back when the blades ramped up in price and bought an Asda own brand triple razor with a huge load of replacement blades, i am actually down to my last blade now so i will be looking to see what else they do.

FWIW i got a closer shave from the asda setup than the mach3 stuff, although i did tend to cut my face a bit more.

One thing i cant get away with though is cheap shaving gel/foam, my face prefers the good stuff, the cheap stuff just irritates me.

That's what i hated about buying the fusion razor etc,the blades don't last that long and they cost just as much as buying the complete razor kit ..Went back to using dry shaver at home,bought one of them Philips williams F1 shavers,it's actually pritty good(it don't make the sound of an F1 car though ) ,other than that it's any make of throw away wet shaves,i prefer the shave gel to the foam....
Old 11 March 2010, 06:20 PM
n8i
Scooby Regular

For me it's better to have a dry shave with an electric razor, otherwise I would have spots in the face for weeks o_O

cheers
Nico
Old 11 March 2010, 06:41 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hux309
A merkur hd is good as suggested, personally i prefer the edwin jagger DE89L, people on badger and blade are raving about it.

Creams or soaps hmm personally i say soaps, takes a bit more effort to lather but you get a closer shave with better glide plus it lasts a sight longer anyway.

Trumpers
Truefitt & hill

This is a good kit to get you going, use the derby blades whilst you get used to it, then move onto astra superior, super iridiums or the super sharp feather blades.

Traditional Wet Shaving Starter Kit - Luxury Soap - £ 51.95 - free delivery available

Also have a nose at badger & blade, it's a great shaving forum that can help you with pretty much anything.

Nothing wrong with palmolive soap, it's tallow based so will cushion you very well so long as you can get around that scent and for 49p you really can't argue.

As for a brush, ebay silvertips are good and cheap for starting with, being the tart i am i went for a custom shavemac in best badger, next one will be finest badger with a wider knot[base width] and shorter loft[height]

Cheers for the advice mate, i think i'll get the kit you have shown me. It looks nice.

As for your custom brush.. You flash *******
Old 11 March 2010, 09:01 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Interesting, I fancy a go with a straight blade! Tried many aerosol foams/gels. Tend to use either Nivea Gel or KOS Gel. Use a Tesco multi bade thingy which seems as good as the MACH3 I used to use but a 3rd of the price.
Old 11 March 2010, 09:37 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hux309

Trumpers
Truefitt & hill

Thanks for that, just ordered myself a starter kit. I currently use the mach 3, £9.00 odd for 4 blades I fancy something a little more traditional plus, at the cost of replenishment blades being so much cheaper, I could save some money in the long run.

Late last year I bought one of these Philips RQ1095 Arcitec Rechargeable Rotary Shaver: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty it was bleeding useless, spent about 5 minutes shaving with it and it kept missing hairs despite repeating the process over and over again. Gave it to my dad the following day.