Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Stirling Moss crashes.

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2010, 01:59 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stirling Moss crashes.

How does he only break his ankles from the third floor?
Stirling Moss falls down lift shaft - Yahoo! Eurosport
Old 08 March 2010, 02:00 PM
dazzaturbo
Scooby Regular

just shows age catches up with everyone eventually
Old 08 March 2010, 02:57 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

probably had the fall cushioned by his Hush Puppies
Old 08 March 2010, 04:48 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

The man is truly a legend, he can (or could) drive at amazing speed. I hope he recovers quickly.
Old 08 March 2010, 07:29 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I am just old enough to remember him in action, racing at the same time as guys like Fangio. Got so close to being champion and was pipped at the post by Mike Hawthorn in about 1962. Hawthorn later died in a crash when he lost it on a corner on the A3 near Guildford.

Do hope he recovers fully and quickly. dl
Old 08 March 2010, 07:34 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Props for having a lift in his own house.

No props for making sure its maintained and retrofitted with the current safety gizmos.

Trending Topics

Old 08 March 2010, 07:53 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Surely it can't be too difficult to fix doors so they can't be opened until the bloody lift is there?

dl
Old 08 March 2010, 09:33 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Props for having a lift in his own house.

No props for making sure its maintained and retrofitted with the current safety gizmos.
Excuse my ignorance but "Props", means what? is it from the same school as "Simples" and ""My Bad" ??
Old 08 March 2010, 09:43 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad he is basically ok and still with us, wouldnt be a fitting demise for a living legend, I suppose for someone who raced in that era, health and safety is a new fangled irrelevance.

A lot of the current racing drivers dont seem to have the strength of personality of Moss and his peers, might just be nostalgia or whatever but a lot seem a bit anonymous is comparison, I suppose Button seems to have a bit of attitude and a sense of fun.
Old 08 March 2010, 09:44 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

I think he was lift surfing the 1980s craze has come back
Old 08 March 2010, 10:25 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
Excuse my ignorance but "Props", means what? is it from the same school as "Simples" and ""My Bad" ??
Pre-dates simples by a long shot. Was even in use before the word chav became popular.

From a dialect known as Jive, IIRC; Urban Dictionary: jive

dig?
Old 08 March 2010, 10:38 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Glad he is basically ok and still with us, wouldnt be a fitting demise for a living legend, I suppose for someone who raced in that era, health and safety is a new fangled irrelevance.

A lot of the current racing drivers dont seem to have the strength of personality of Moss and his peers, might just be nostalgia or whatever but a lot seem a bit anonymous is comparison, I suppose Button seems to have a bit of attitude and a sense of fun.
Very few - James Hunt was in that old era of course

Never one to take himself too seriously, Hunt endeared himself to the British public with his charisma and charm and brought a whole new audience to Formula One in the mid 1970s. Despite his Formula One career only lasting six seasons Hunt remains one of the few drivers of the era to be widely remembered amongst the general public, in part due to his commentary career for the BBC, which he took up following his retirement and maintained until his death in 1993.

dl in nostalgic mood!

I seem to remember Hunt winning the championship when Niki Lauda, who had been injured earlier in the season, pulled out of the Japanese Grand Prix because of atrocious weather conditions. Hunt was one of the few to carry on
Old 09 March 2010, 12:04 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

He was certainly a star at driving. He was in the same class as all the really good drivers in that he was smooth as silk and well ahead of the car at all times. He had amazingly fast reactions and also his eyes could re-focus extremely quickly compared to the average. He was so unlucky not to get that World Chanpionship.

I was surprised at the description of Hunt's charisma and charm. I remember seeing him pan a marshall who was trying to help him at Crystal Palace after he stuffed his F3 car in the wall! He was a first class commentator alright, his experience added a lot to the GP commentaries with Murray Walker. Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart were as nice as anyone to meet and chat with. No side on them at all. Another pair of ultra smooth drivers. It was an education to watch Stewart taking the old Woodcote bend at Silverstone close to flat out in an F1 car. The others all had a big twitch at the discontinuity halfway round the bend but Stewart could be seen to anticipate it and make a small correction just as he reached it and the car never moved off line! No wonder he did so well. Real class.

Thats a hell of a fall down 3 stories. Amazing that Moss was not quite seriously injured. I have no doubt that he is impressing the nurses just like he always did in the old days!

Les
Old 09 March 2010, 12:14 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Very few - James Hunt was in that old era of course

Never one to take himself too seriously, Hunt endeared himself to the British public with his charisma and charm and brought a whole new audience to Formula One in the mid 1970s. Despite his Formula One career only lasting six seasons Hunt remains one of the few drivers of the era to be widely remembered amongst the general public, in part due to his commentary career for the BBC, which he took up following his retirement and maintained until his death in 1993.

dl in nostalgic mood!

I seem to remember Hunt winning the championship when Niki Lauda, who had been injured earlier in the season, pulled out of the Japanese Grand Prix because of atrocious weather conditions. Hunt was one of the few to carry on
Well Hunt was leading Lauda I seem to remember and the conditions were indeed truly dreadful. I imagine Lauda realised that he had no chance of passing Hunt and of course when he retired, Hunt had only to finish to win. Not surprising that he kept going. Due to the facial burns in his earlier accident, Lauda's vision was badly affected during the race which doubtless influenced his decision.

Les
Old 09 March 2010, 01:55 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

I once fell about 40 foot and landed on both feet.

I passed out(not that long) and woke up still at the scene surrounded by paramedics
Maybe they woke me up?

I had severe sprains in both feet/ankles for about 48 hours
I was on crutches for about 3 weeks and I was unable to put too much pressure on them
And for about 3 or 4 weeks I randomly took severe back pains for a while until I moved
I used to also wake up from my sleep due to the pain

No broken bones though.
Old 09 March 2010, 05:01 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
Props i believe is giving someone due respect and as ali b says it's from jive.

Anyway gratuitous airplaine clippy seeing as i love it.

YouTube - Airplane Jive Scene
Old 09 March 2010, 05:03 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

30ft old man very easy to bust ankles/bones
Old 09 March 2010, 06:12 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
I once fell about 40 foot and landed on both feet.

I passed out(not that long) and woke up still at the scene surrounded by paramedics
Maybe they woke me up?

I had severe sprains in both feet/ankles for about 48 hours
I was on crutches for about 3 weeks and I was unable to put too much pressure on them
And for about 3 or 4 weeks I randomly took severe back pains for a while until I moved
I used to also wake up from my sleep due to the pain

No broken bones though.
How did you do that ?

Any lasting injuries.
Old 10 March 2010, 10:53 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Long story J4CKO.
But was on business in Malta when it happened
I remember the Maltese hospital doctors/paramedics holding my legs and pulling on my ankles.
They put my left foot/lower leg in a cast as they said it was broken - got home and went to hospital - no visible break and confirmed severe spraining.

Any lasting injuries - not really, guess I'm lucky
Left ankle in particular gets sore in very cold weather.