Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Where does everyone take their young kids on Holiday?

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2010, 01:27 AM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where does everyone take their young kids on Holiday?

Have a 3 year old and a 9 month old

First off Budget - not on the cheap but not stupidly expensive either - excluding plane flights my limit is about £300 a night for a room plus food

I must have spent weeks looking for somewhere to take the kids and offload in a kids club.....

I have only found one Globally and that is Beaches at Turks and Caicos Islands..... and that is an over-priced concrete jungle - owned by the Sandals chain so I know it is crap.

I have started to look at the rest of the Caribbean (cant really find anything except Jamaica.. and have already been there and definately not going back)

So I then started looking at Seychelles/Mauritius and Maldives (Maldives too much of a hassle with Kids given all the changes and time spent in getting to the resort and everything can be expensive). Seychelles isnt for kids and Mauritius - I'm still looking over the hotels

I am now starting to look at places like Malaysia and Thailand - I cant really find kids clubs though.... and you finally find a great hotel on Langkawi in Malaysia and guess what the hotel is booked up for the next 100 years

Is it just me or is there just very little out there.......

Maybe the only solution is to bring either mine or the wifes parents and go on a normal holiday without Kids clubs - maybe thats how everyone does it out there?

Would welcome any recommedations for decent places out there

Last edited by Fangoria; 07 March 2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07 March 2010, 07:20 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a similar position to you on this and trying to choose a decent holiday that will be right for us and the kids is really really difficult.

We've decided not to do the Far East or Indian Ocean thing with the young kids, the flights are just too long. The only way to do it would be fly business/first class and for three tickets (2 adults, 1 child having own seat and one child sharing with adult) it becomes really expensive.

About 18 months ago we did Barbados with Virgin Upper Class. Very expensive but we decided we deserved a treat. Tbh we never got to really enjoy the flight, one child slept but the other played up so didn't really get to sleep or use the nice bar area etc.

It was our third time to Barbados but first time with kids and we realised there was not really a great deal for the kids to do! Paid extra for one to one baby sitting on some days so we could get a bit of rest, but we knew the kids didn't like it and always felt guilty.

Anyway we have decided for the next few years to stay closer to home and when the kids are a bit older we can take them on more interesting holidays ie Safari, Far East etc etc

We've now been to Turkey a few times and really like it. Short flying time, nice people, reasonably priced. The latter means we can spend money on more exotic and educational holidays for the kids when they are a little older.

This year we are thinking of this place

Gloria Hotels & Resorts

Put it into Reviews of vacations, hotels, resorts, vacation and travel packages - TripAdvisor and you'll see it gets good reviews and has good kids facilities. Just ignore the russians!

This website is worth a look too.

Luxury family holidays from Tots Too

Last edited by Dingdongler; 07 March 2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07 March 2010, 07:39 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

So you're looking for a family holiday to somewhere that you can let strangers look after your kids?
Old 07 March 2010, 08:05 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Hi Steve,

Beaches at T&C is OK and the island is FANTASTIC. So don't cross if off your list. It is also on Grace Bay which is fabulous. Just don't go all inclusive.

Also on the island, go to another hotel and there some fantastic Filipino babysitters.

Our way of doing this - which is just as cheap - is take a nanny with you. You will have to put her in her own room but then you can get someone you can trust. It works really well for our 4 and 2 year old.

And this time we are off to Orlando. You can get a luxurious house with loads of bedrooms, games room, pool etc for around 1,200 for two weeks.

OK - so it is Orlando so it is kids oriented!

Other place we have been is Australia - everywhere you go has kids parks and stuff so they are happy - and the beaches are the best!
Old 07 March 2010, 08:31 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
So you're looking for a family holiday to somewhere that you can let strangers look after your kids?
Do you have anything constructive to add to the thread?

My wife holds down a part time job and looks after two children under the age of 3. If for a few hours in the day she/we want a break maybe just to actually have lunch, thats fine.

Your comment is judgmental, patronizing and offensive. You seek to imply something about Fangoria's parenting abilities yet you know nothing about him. For all we know you are a crap parent who abuses his children.
Old 07 March 2010, 08:43 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With kids of that age i woulnt ravel any further than Europe.

i have a 5 and 6 yr old,last went on holiday 2 yrs ago, so they were 3 and 4 then,we went to spain the 1 yr and Corfu the other,didnt like spain but not for any real reason,prefer greece/corfu

the corfu one was thru thomas cook and they had a free kids club,2 hrs in the morning and 2 in the evening,helped loads,gave us that quick tan time so it felt like we had a holiday,the rest of the time was on the beach/sites etc

we went early sept and cost for us 4 self catering was £990 plus £800 spending
Old 07 March 2010, 09:14 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Good point about the Balearics - on your budget you could get a fabulous villa, nice car and afford a nanny for two weeks. Best area is around Pollensa in Mallorca - some very good restaurants there and a great child friendly beach.

As for travel - I will counter the distance argument from our experience. Our oldest is just over four and has been to Australia three times, the US twice, the Caribbean once and the Med three times. There was only one flight that was a nightmare and that was Oz when he was five months - he didn't sleep all the way there. Awake for 23 hours in a five month old is not something you want to experience.

Last time we went when he was 3 and a half - he watched movies and slept all the way there. Good as gold.

The worst bit of air travel with kids is the airport thing - and that happens on flights of an hour or ten hours!
Old 07 March 2010, 09:18 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Greece

nowhere in the world combines eating and the beach

greek tavernas are often "on" the beach

the sea is nearly as warm a barbados

lots for kids to do

rent a villa, job done

the travel can be a bit "trains planes and automobiles"
Old 07 March 2010, 09:25 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Do you have anything constructive to add to the thread?

My wife holds down a part time job and looks after two children under the age of 3. If for a few hours in the day she/we want a break maybe just to actually have lunch, thats fine.

Your comment is judgmental, patronizing and offensive. You seek to imply something about Fangoria's parenting abilities yet you know nothing about him. For all we know you are a crap parent who abuses his children.
I think he has a point though.

We have 2 kids under 2 and always manage to have lunch....

When you make the decision to have kids, you pretty much consign yourself to having very little free time. Don't like it, don't have kids.

What did everyone do before kids club?
Old 07 March 2010, 09:28 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelro

What did everyone do before kids club?

It was called grandparents back then

times change,im all on my tod family wise and the missus family dont help so for 365 days we dont go out,so on holiday 2 hrs kids club is great and the kids prefer it as there are 20+ kids all playing,they prefer that than 2 hrs with me on the beach kicking a ball with them
Old 07 March 2010, 09:29 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I don't agree with you at all. Just because you have kids does not mean that you then have to consign yourself to no life.

Historically people used to be less mobile and have kids younger and the extended family would help look after the kids. Two sets of grandparents, aunties and uncles.

As this has broken down it is a relatively modern thing that childcare was the exclusive domain of the parents.

And now with both parents working, wanting time for sanity, then kids clubs have grown up.
Old 07 March 2010, 10:51 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
I don't agree with you at all. Just because you have kids does not mean that you then have to consign yourself to no life.

Historically people used to be less mobile and have kids younger and the extended family would help look after the kids. Two sets of grandparents, aunties and uncles.

As this has broken down it is a relatively modern thing that childcare was the exclusive domain of the parents.

And now with both parents working, wanting time for sanity, then kids clubs have grown up.
I didn't say no life, I said free time.

I enjoy relaxing in the evening when the kids are in bed, but I want to spend as much time with them when I can as I don't see them most of the week due to work.

Most kids are at school or Nursery during the week, so I don't get not wanting to spend time with your own kids when you can...

Originally Posted by **************
I don't get it at all, it's not that you have to spend time with your kids for me it's that I WANT to spend all the time with my kids. My kids are my life, when they grow up then I will enjoy the other things in life with my wife.
Exactly
Old 07 March 2010, 10:55 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Menorca and Mallorca are great for kids. Very family friendly, not too hot, only just over two hours flight times.

You can go cheap or expensive too.

I would echo the comments about the kids clubs. The kids will be grown up before you know it, spend the time with them!

If you want a break, go to London for the weekend

Geezer
Old 07 March 2010, 12:07 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

the next ten years or so mate are not about where you want to go, your responsibities have altered, the kids will have a lot more fun in cyprus or turkey, and so will you becasue of the euro,

keeping two small children occupied whilst changing flights at foreign airports is no mean feat.

if i was you i would go somewhere like this

Thomson Holidays - Susesi Deluxe Resort & Spa
Old 07 March 2010, 12:18 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by michaelro
I didn't say no life, I said free time.

I enjoy relaxing in the evening when the kids are in bed, but I want to spend as much time with them when I can as I don't see them most of the week due to work.

Most kids are at school or Nursery during the week, so I don't get not wanting to spend time with your own kids when you can...

Exactly
Maybe you are concealing the fact that you don't actually want to spend anytime alone with your wife?

See? Its easy to be judgmental about the way other people live and be wide off the mark, its best avoided. My wife and I spend lots of time with the kids during the week (and weekends of course) as she decided to only go back to work part time. She could have doubled her salary if she returned full time but this is a conscious decision we both made so that the kids would gets lots of close attention from us.
As a result, if she wants a couple of hours a few times during the holiday to have a quiet lunch or to have a snooze I think that's the least she deserves.

Please don't be so judgmental, it assumes that you are better parents and that's a dangerous game
Old 07 March 2010, 12:55 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Club Med
Old 07 March 2010, 01:03 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I don't get it at all, it's not that you have to spend time with your kids for me it's that I WANT to spend all the time with my kids. My kids are my life, when they grow up then I will enjoy the other things in life with my wife.
Same here

Chip
Old 07 March 2010, 01:37 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dave thanks Dingdongler and everyone else

hadnt really thought of Florida that much
Turkey and Mallorca - other interesting stuff
Looks like I need to do more reading. Taking a nanny abroad - the top executives in my organistion tend to do this - we dont have a nqanny/babysitter - they both go to stupidly expensive nurseries.......

We'd seen some really scathing reviews on Beaches on T&C in the last month on TripAdvisor plus its full of Americans.. ;-)

Looks like there is something more decent closer to home

Must admit with the long-haul I only tend to travel business class as thats because I am going away on work
I have tonnes of miles on BA - though using them is incredibly restrictive and seemingly getting more so - you would only ever use them on Business class flights....

Last edited by Fangoria; 07 March 2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07 March 2010, 01:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't take kids and dump them in kids' clubs. Take them and have fun with them. They are only young like that for a short time, soon they will be teens and not wanting to be with you, or adults and going alone. I miss my two on holiday, we did loads with them, but I always wished I could have done more.
Old 07 March 2010, 02:11 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

travel with kids, family travel, school holidays, sticky fingers travel

This maybe a useful link
Old 07 March 2010, 03:00 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Personally never used a kids club on holliday but I am sure it is great fun for the child to have fun things to do and other kids to play with. Surely how much they enjoy it must be a factor ?
Old 07 March 2010, 04:04 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I see you don't have a Scoob - is that because you got rid of it to spend time with the kids. I applaud you.

So you do nothing else when you are outside of work other than be with your kids - again I applaud you (I am also not quite sure I believe you either).

As for spending time with the kids (by the way they are crawling all over me as I type this!) I work away three days a week which means I am home four days a week so get to see a lot more of my kids than most. My wife doesn't work so again the kids get plenty of time with her.

So if we want to go out for a peaceful lunch together, or have a day or two on holiday that is kid free please don't jump to conclusions based on your life and your situation.

I would strongly recommend it as the balance is good for most relationships which can only be good for your kids!
Old 07 March 2010, 04:17 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

horses for courses ,some people like to spend as much time with their children even on holiday like me but i/we like to have a bit of us time too.
we have been to florida and the med and even aruba but now settle with the cornish coast in a caravan ,i know that most people will stick their noses up at this option but like i said horses for courses ,plenty to do in the daytime for children and us to enjoy together and on an evening .
Old 07 March 2010, 04:20 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Maybe you are concealing the fact that you don't actually want to spend anytime alone with your wife?

See? Its easy to be judgmental about the way other people live and be wide off the mark, its best avoided. My wife and I spend lots of time with the kids during the week (and weekends of course) as she decided to only go back to work part time. She could have doubled her salary if she returned full time but this is a conscious decision we both made so that the kids would gets lots of close attention from us.
As a result, if she wants a couple of hours a few times during the holiday to have a quiet lunch or to have a snooze I think that's the least she deserves.

Please don't be so judgmental, it assumes that you are better parents and that's a dangerous game
I can spend time with my wife when the kids have gone to bed

If we want to go out we have lots of family nearby who can babysit.

IMHO, holiday is a family thing, and dumping your kids off to strangers is weird.

Oh by the way, surely you can look after the kids while she has lunch / snooze?
Old 07 March 2010, 04:25 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Dingdongler

Very useful link on the Tots too

Actually found a luxury Shangri La place in the 'tots too website' in the Maldives and its a client of ours so I'll be asking tomorrow if I can get some holiday credits!!
Old 07 March 2010, 10:39 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

I have to admit, its a little disturbing how many folk on here look to ditch their kids in a "kids club" while on holiday. There are about 4 or 5 people on this planet outwith the Nursery who get look after our kids, and they aint in the far east.......
Old 07 March 2010, 11:05 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Cornwall
Old 07 March 2010, 11:46 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nothing wrong with using a creche / kids club whilst on holiday. As has been said the key is that the kids must enjoy it of course. They often have facilities and also other kids to keep your little darlings entertained that you just can't take with you yourself. On our recent ski holiday we again went with friends who have kids of similar ages as ours - our youngest (almost 3) was in the creche for 5 days with his friend and afternoons were spend having a cracking time sledging and learning to ski together with the both families on the nursery slopes. Our oldest (aged 5) was in ski school and was negotiating reds by the end of the week. As a result we could ski around 25 vertical kms a day untroubled and also get some quality time together to recharge the batteries.

A brilliant time was had by all.

Quick Reply: Where does everyone take their young kids on Holiday?