Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

More big brother...........

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2010, 11:04 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More big brother...........

Couple of more instances of how the state intends to control more of your lives.

The issue of Children potentially having a life long black mark should be of serious concern to any parent.

Spy chips hidden in 2.5 MILLION dustbins: 60pc rise in electronic bugs as council snoopers plan pay-as-you-throw tax

Pupils aged five on hate register: Teachers must log playground taunts for Government database
Old 05 March 2010, 11:44 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Links?
Old 05 March 2010, 12:14 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Orwell's predictions come ever closer!

Les
Old 05 March 2010, 12:22 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

These people are helping us out:

Big Brother Watch

But I fear we are too late.
Old 05 March 2010, 12:35 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I am in trouble if they start weighing my bins, I said to our local MP some time ago I would start to recycle when they start to turn off the lights in the council office at night. So far they have not turned the lights off, and I have not recycled.

With that point in particular it will only encourage fly tipping. There is not other realistic outcome.
Most of the other stuff I read about BB I put down to lazy journalism, some nut bar somewhere will make a suggestion, it will get booted out as an insane idea but the press will only report the initial idea and what would happen if it became law.

Having said that I am all for the ID cards etc, A man in Guildford asked me to sign an anti ID card petition and I told that because I could not verify who he was I would not be signing anything
Old 05 March 2010, 12:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Recycling? Don't get me started on THAT.

As some of you know we have a property we are renovating in France. This time last year we all received a strict letter from the council telling us what could, and what could NOT be put in our bin.
The binmen check: get it wrong, and the first time, you get a stroppy letter, plus your bin doesn't get emptied until it's been sorted. Get it wrong TWICE, you get a fine. And we already pay through the nose for the crap service because of Gordon's Puny Pound

So we have to sort, store etc like we do here, except you have to provide your OWN containers, and take the recyclable stuff YOURSELF to the local dechetterie, (recycling centre).

So far we have provided TWO open plastic storage boxes for bottles and cans, one for cardboard containers and such, and a tiny wheely bin thing for plastic containers. An outlay of over £50.

And when you GET to the dechetterie? it only opens like a couple of hours a day, but the containers are outside the main part, so accessible. Except that they are usually brimming, with excess chucked around/broken on the floor next to them.

Ask me who has rung the council and complained the most in OUR village?
Old 05 March 2010, 12:47 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

To be honest, there is no excuse NOT to recycle. Why don't people do it? Laziness! It annoys me when people put glass in a normal bin, it goes into landfill and will not break down for like a gazillion years.
Old 05 March 2010, 12:51 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

And Alcazar, having been to France every year for the last God knows how many years, I have never had a problem with their system and my parents, whose house we visit, haven't either. You stick your general waste in a communal bin and recyclables to the dechetterie, or bottle banks/cardboard recycling point. These are in every town and village, at supermarkets etc., so shouldn't really be a big issue. This is in Brittany BTW.
Old 05 March 2010, 01:14 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
To be honest, there is no excuse NOT to recycle. Why don't people do it? Laziness! It annoys me when people put glass in a normal bin, it goes into landfill and will not break down for like a gazillion years.
Glass is basically sand with a bit extra added and the main flaw with glass production is the massive amount of heat necesary to melt the sand and combine it with Na02 (sodium plus oxygen) Recycled glass is first crushed then reheated i to make new glass so is just as environmentally unfriendly as making it from raw sand.
Old 05 March 2010, 01:27 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

What most people fail to think about when it comes to all this big brother bollox is that do you honestly expect the system to work properly?

Bullies on a register - who is going to run the register? Who is going to make sure its factually correct?

Smart bins? its just never going to work is it. As soon as someone realises the chips might be worth a bob or two they'll all be pinched. If the chip is broken how will they know? Will the bin man leave a note "didn't take your rubbish because your chip is broken"

Funnily enough our local tip has an ANPR as you enter the site - your numberplate comes up on a screen. Considering whenever I'm going to the tip I'm in a 4X4 its not going to look out of place covered in mud and you can't read the plate.

Its nonsense and won't work - people put too much faith the government actually making any of these half baked ideas work.
Old 05 March 2010, 01:31 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

It's not Orwell's predictions that are coming to pass, it's Huxley's
Old 05 March 2010, 01:53 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

What's to stop us ripping them off & throwing em away? Understand this is tabled as helping us albeit will no doubt be used in future as pay as you go rubbish disposal no doubt with penalties for having too much rather than £'s returned for having less than others ...

TX.

Originally Posted by r32
Spy chips hidden in 2.5 MILLION dustbins: 60pc rise in electronic bugs as council snoopers plan pay-as-you-throw tax
Old 05 March 2010, 01:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

And Alcazar, having been to France every year for the last God knows how many years, I have never had a problem with their system and my parents, whose house we visit, haven't either. You stick your general waste in a communal bin and recyclables to the dechetterie, or bottle banks/cardboard recycling point. These are in every town and village, at supermarkets etc., so shouldn't really be a big issue. This is in Brittany BTW.
No, it's not a big issue, just annoying to be told to do it at my own cost. And threatened if I don't.
Plus where we live, Haute Vienne, the recycling containers are always full. So you drive to the dechetterie, and can't get your stuff in.

We have had to buy containers for the stuff, glass, plastic, cardboard etc, or it blows about, the lizards get into empty beer cans and end up p*ssed up.............yes, seriously, and next door's dog knocks the glass bottles over wagging his tail and jumping all over when he sees us.

The actual bin has VERY little in it now. The dog, and next door's chickens eat every scrap of waste food, and about the only thing that ISN'T recycled is plastic bags and packaging like polystyrene. Even cardboard juice containers are recycled.
Old 05 March 2010, 02:01 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

http://nickpoint.files.wordpress.com...tizensmith.jpg

TX.

Originally Posted by EddScott
Funnily enough our local tip has an ANPR as you enter the site - your numberplate comes up on a screen. Considering whenever I'm going to the tip I'm in a 4X4 its not going to look out of place covered in mud and you can't read the plate.
Old 05 March 2010, 02:07 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Fight the power comrades
Old 05 March 2010, 02:18 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

So am I the only one who thinks we should recycle? Making glass from scratch has got to use more energy/resources than grinding up old stuff innit? Or am I completely wrong?
Old 05 March 2010, 02:20 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
No, it's not a big issue, just annoying to be told to do it at my own cost. And threatened if I don't.
Plus where we live, Haute Vienne, the recycling containers are always full. So you drive to the dechetterie, and can't get your stuff in.

We have had to buy containers for the stuff, glass, plastic, cardboard etc, or it blows about, the lizards get into empty beer cans and end up p*ssed up.............yes, seriously, and next door's dog knocks the glass bottles over wagging his tail and jumping all over when he sees us.

The actual bin has VERY little in it now. The dog, and next door's chickens eat every scrap of waste food, and about the only thing that ISN'T recycled is plastic bags and packaging like polystyrene. Even cardboard juice containers are recycled.
My parents have a massive garage so keep it all in there, so no blowing around or dogs tail's to worry about

What does a pissed lizard do?
Old 05 March 2010, 04:02 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

P*ssed up lizards? We've had lizards on the house wall at the front for ever, but last summer I was there on my own, (wifey was in Australia), and had taken to finishing an afternoon's work with a can of ice cold Pear Cider, whilst sitting on the front steps in the sunshine, rubbing the dog's ears for him.
The cans were crushed and left on the step for taking to the dechetterie when I could be bothered.

Two days later, I noticed one of the cans moving about, and thought, "Hello? Mice?" and rushed to investigate since if I attract mice to the house, my days are numbered

Out of the can shot a lizard. I thought it MIGHT have been after flies etc, but on keeping a watch, more were seen coming and going from the cans. And no flies were present.

Over the next few days I noticed VERY un-lizard-like behaviour. Lizards FIGHTING. One lying on it's back, (I thought it was dead), and two that actually FELL OFF the wall.

I then removed all temptation by keeping the cans in a plastic sack in the kitchen, not wishing to be responsible for alky lizards.
Old 05 March 2010, 05:18 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

You can be the best recycler going and have a nice empty bin each week.... that is until the bloke next door puts all his extra waste in yours and you're as bad as the rest.

FAIL
Old 05 March 2010, 07:11 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So am I the only one who thinks we should recycle? Making glass from scratch has got to use more energy/resources than grinding up old stuff innit? Or am I completely wrong?
Not sure about the glass, but on the issue of recycling as a whole I would be happy to put all the stuff in the recycling bin if we actually got one off our council. But no, we get what equates to a storage box that is emptied once a fortnight, and you regularly get left notes on the main bin if you put the wrong stuff in it. Maybe if they provided an adequate sized bin, more would be recycled, but once again you are told what to do, but they don't make an effort on their part to help you do it.

As for our local tip, if needs be I would go there with my waste all bagged up separately, however in the winter they are not open when I am not at work, and they won't allow vans in. I'm not wasting money in petrol making several trips up there in our car to recycle (adding to the whole emmissions rubbish ironically).

At least in our area this is an example of people telling you what to do, but not really doing anything to encourage such action.
Old 05 March 2010, 07:46 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Of course we should recycle. Have you noticed though how the onus is now very much on "us" rather than "them" yet no reduction in council tax. Our local rubish tip (remember them?!) has been upgraded recently so that rather than their employees recycling my rubbish I have to sort it into umpteen different categories & stop at every single bay on my way round the new facility The future is of course fines & gaol for ever more insignificant "offences" when will it end

TX.

So am I the only one who thinks we should recycle?
Old 05 March 2010, 08:22 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
P*ssed up lizards? We've had lizards on the house wall at the front for ever, but last summer I was there on my own, (wifey was in Australia), and had taken to finishing an afternoon's work with a can of ice cold Pear Cider, whilst sitting on the front steps in the sunshine, rubbing the dog's ears for him.
The cans were crushed and left on the step for taking to the dechetterie when I could be bothered.

Two days later, I noticed one of the cans moving about, and thought, "Hello? Mice?" and rushed to investigate since if I attract mice to the house, my days are numbered

Out of the can shot a lizard. I thought it MIGHT have been after flies etc, but on keeping a watch, more were seen coming and going from the cans. And no flies were present.

Over the next few days I noticed VERY un-lizard-like behaviour. Lizards FIGHTING. One lying on it's back, (I thought it was dead), and two that actually FELL OFF the wall.

I then removed all temptation by keeping the cans in a plastic sack in the kitchen, not wishing to be responsible for alky lizards.
LOL, I love geckos and lizards, would have liked to see that
Old 05 March 2010, 10:07 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I had to call a halt to their drinking when I was afraid they were going to start asking me, "You looking at me, mate?" when I went outside, instead of running away
Old 06 March 2010, 10:00 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
I'm not wasting money in petrol making several trips up there in our car to recycle (adding to the whole emmissions rubbish ironically).
How much rubbish do you produce on a weekly basis to justify "several trips" in a car?? Most supermarkets these days - you work in one, don't you - have recycling facilities near them, so it would be reasonable to get into the habit of taking your stuff with you when you go to do your shopping. Therefore, it shouldn't put you out much. You could use your reusable bags to transport the stuff in the car even, giving them dual purpose.

As for storage, our council give us boxes to put the different things in which we then put out for them to collect on a fortnightly rota. Perhaps we are lucky in this. Perhaps people who don't have these should get onto their council to provide them. Perhaps the people that moan about it are too lazy to do this though, I dunno.

To say that it's all on us to do it and then throw stuff away which could be recycled into landfill is just plain ignorant if you ask me. It doesn't require much effort to put bottles in a bottle bank, does it? Or am I being a bit too leftfield here?
Old 06 March 2010, 10:15 AM
gallois
Scooby Regular

i have no problem recycling, and have more recycling than rubbish to put out every week, but what really REALLY annoys me is the hypocrisy of our totalitarian council.

Last edited by gallois; 06 March 2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: can't spel
Old 06 March 2010, 10:29 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
It's not Orwell's predictions that are coming to pass, it's Huxley's
To an extent you may be right at the moment, but I think that we will eventually wind up as Orwell predicted. They will proceed one step at a time in order to prevent problems before they achieve complete power.

Les
Old 06 March 2010, 06:55 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much rubbish do you produce on a weekly basis to justify "several trips" in a car?? Most supermarkets these days - you work in one, don't you - have recycling facilities near them, so it would be reasonable to get into the habit of taking your stuff with you when you go to do your shopping. Therefore, it shouldn't put you out much. You could use your reusable bags to transport the stuff in the car even, giving them dual purpose.

As for storage, our council give us boxes to put the different things in which we then put out for them to collect on a fortnightly rota. Perhaps we are lucky in this. Perhaps people who don't have these should get onto their council to provide them. Perhaps the people that moan about it are too lazy to do this though, I dunno.

To say that it's all on us to do it and then throw stuff away which could be recycled into landfill is just plain ignorant if you ask me. It doesn't require much effort to put bottles in a bottle bank, does it? Or am I being a bit too leftfield here?
Firstly, quite alot at the minute as we/I am trying to clear the house and garden. Quite alot could be disposed of correctly but we're not wasting petrol on several trips, and on a normal weekly basis, yes we wouldn't have all that much, even more reason not to waste time or money(petrol) going to the tip just for a few bags.

As for working in a supermarket.. no I don't and just to add before it's brought up, even if I did, as I don't drive I'm hardly going to take a load of household waste on the metro with me. Call it lazy if you like. This kind of goes for the arguement of taking it to the supermarket when shopping. I'm not sure if they have the banks tbh, but when I go shopping after a week of being on my feet all day every day in a shop, I just want to go, get my shopping and be away as quickly as possible. Again, call it lazy if you wish,

I don't mind recycling, but whatever your opinion (which is your right to have) I'm not going out of my way to do it when the very people who want us to do it so much are doing very little to positively encourage it. They obviously know there is a problem with recycling when they slap a note on the bin when it sits beside a brimming recycling box, so I'd have thought the council (being so green) would have acted upon this without the need for people to write in telling them what they clearly already know.

I was under the impression from the many look down the nose comments on here, that those paid well to manage affairs like this (not those idiots like me working in the crap jobs because they are no better than that) were supposed to be the intelligent ones. Surely they don't need some moron such as me to tell them there is a problem....
Old 06 March 2010, 07:09 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Recycling is only viable for aluminium cans - everything else the collection/reprocessing cost is higher than the manufacture from new cost. So no we should not recycle, it only makes us poorer. Let alone adding in the cost of peoples time to recycle, add that in as well (as you should because it IS a cost), and the figures make it even more obvious how we are poorer by recycling
Old 06 March 2010, 07:20 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I recycle papers and glass as much as I can, but when I read how our council has been found guilty of dumbing bags of recycled waste on the landfill anyway it makes me wonder why I bother

Maybe it's so when they railroad their waste incinerator through the objections they will have plenty of paper to burn

St Dennis incinerator plan appeal (From Falmouth Packet)

Quick Reply: More big brother...........