Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Coffee geeks - I've seriously upgraded my machine...

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2010, 10:56 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coffee geeks - I've seriously upgraded my machine...

From one of these:

(A Gaggia Classic - mine had the pressure reduction mod and Rancilio Silvia steam wand mod)

...to one of these beauties:

(An Izzo Alex Duetto MkII)

The difference is incredible.... my espresso is now fantastic, my microfoam is perfect and therefore cappuccinos and lattes are awesome. I poured the best Americano I've ever consumed on Sunday evening - it was incredible. Honestly.

The Alex will go from cold milk to cappuccino ready foam in less than 10 seconds!

One of my coffee fancying neighbours that often pops round for brew said that he wasn't expecting to taste much difference, but also was genuinely amazed at the difference that purely the machine made.

Just FYI, the Alex is combined with a Mazzer Super Jolly and the perfectly ground coffee is accurately tamped with a lovely Espro tamper (Christmas present from the wife).

Coffee heaven...

Last edited by MrShades; 23 February 2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 23 February 2010, 11:01 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Go and get yourself a kilo of Tanzanian Kibo Chagga coffee beans (£25ish per kilo) It will compliment your new machine quite nicely!!
Old 23 February 2010, 11:09 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Ha, rubbish - stick to Mellow Birds

Old 23 February 2010, 11:14 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
Go and get yourself a kilo of Tanzanian Kibo Chagga coffee beans (£25ish per kilo) It will compliment your new machine quite nicely!!
I've already got some nice stuff, that I'm using at the moment - which is around £17 a kilo... It's very good, but then with this beastie I struggle to get bad coffee from the £7 a kilo "Kirkland Starbucks" beans that I buy from Costco (actually very good, and very cheap if anyone's interested!).

My Gaggia made bad shots on a regular basis - temperature surfing and such like made it such a "hit and miss" affair. The Alex is in a different league, and makes consistent good shots very easy to achieve... In fact you have to work quite hard to get a bad shot from it.

...and it's also MUCH nicer to look it. It's all stainless (chassis), brass and copper inside as well.
Old 23 February 2010, 11:17 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Dude, sweet!
Old 23 February 2010, 11:18 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB.T
Dude, sweet!
Of all people I knew you'd appreciate it....

How's the latte art coming on?
Old 23 February 2010, 11:22 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

A quick warning to anyone who doesn't understand proper coffee, DO NOT Google said marvel of engineering to see what it costs, it'll be too much for you tiny minds!
Old 23 February 2010, 11:25 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

LOL!

I can pretty much do the standard flower thing every time now, I bought a Motta Jug as recommended by my local shop. It's a bit small though so I was having to make two cups all the time, I've gone back to my old jug and it's not working out as well... to be fair, more often than not, I'll go into town cos it's easier!
Old 23 February 2010, 11:25 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

A quick warning to anyone who doesn't understand proper coffee, DO NOT Google said marvel of engineering to see what it costs, it'll be too much for you tiny minds!
LOL... yes, it's a 'significant investment' - probably the best way to put it.

A friend of mine came to see us at the weekend and upon noticing I had a new machine said "Oh, nice shiney new coffee machine - I guess that cost well into 3 figures?".... "No" I replied...
Old 23 February 2010, 11:33 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Thats a pretty serious bit of kit! as a coffee fanatic myself always wondered about a machine like that, just how much did it set you back if you dont mind me asking?
Old 24 February 2010, 12:11 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Looks very smart.

Is this better than the fully automated one I use almost daily?

The great thing about it, is having a brew, then 10 seconds later, I can select an orange juice, we have other advanced machines where I work, one of them you press some numbers and 5 seconds later a Mars Bar literally drops from out the sky, crazy.

Old 24 February 2010, 06:16 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Erm... 1800-1900 euros?
Old 24 February 2010, 07:50 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Im running a Tony Ferrino Mk IV phenomenon

Some of you might notice the Pierre Savorgnan de Brazza modified pump expansion chamber, I have also fitted :

Berlusconi wavey wand, with 10% pass back
Gianandrea Gavazzeni foaminator (the ltd edition series 4!!)
Giuseppe gullible super super happy

We've had this baby up on the dyno and it clocked cold to frothy in under 6 seconds!! - I reckon with a few more mods we can get it down to sub 5 !!

Old 24 February 2010, 08:36 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

10 seconds... Mmmm, me want

Loving the Tony Ferrino Mk IV phenomenon
Old 24 February 2010, 09:13 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
10 seconds... Mmmm, me want

Loving the Tony Ferrino Mk IV phenomenon
Along with this

Old 24 February 2010, 09:14 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

MrShades, where does one order one from please?
Cheers
Colin
Old 24 February 2010, 09:48 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

still slumming it with one of these

Old 24 February 2010, 10:10 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Thats not only a smart looking machine but a serious piece of kit. Sadly not an option for me, if I drink caffinated coffee I'm awake for two nights. And I so loved coffee too.
Old 24 February 2010, 10:11 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

At those prices I shall be forced to stick with the instant!

Les
Old 24 February 2010, 10:21 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

A salesman was staying in a small but nice hotel. At around 8 in the morning his door opened and in walked a very pretty young girl carrying a tray with a teapot, cup, milk etc on it. As she placed the tray on the bedside cabinet she deftly and swiftly caught the corner of the bedclothes and whipped them back. Before the guy could react, down she went and gave him probably the best blow job he had ever had. As it all finished she stood up wiping the corner of her mouth and went to leave the room. The man said before you go please tell me who you are?

She turned, smiled and said "I'm the Goblin Teasmaid"
Old 24 February 2010, 10:21 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

MrShades that looks stunning.
I make do with an Aerobie AeroPress which I am seriously impressed with considering the minimal outlay.
Old 24 February 2010, 10:26 AM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoob99
MrShades, where does one order one from please?
Cheers
Colin

Check out Bella Barista - For Lovers Of Good Coffee
Old 24 February 2010, 10:33 AM
scoobyschef
Scooby Regular

Home Page :: H. R. Higgins (Coffee-man) Ltd.
Old 24 February 2010, 11:58 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
A salesman was staying in a small but nice hotel. At around 8 in the morning his door opened and in walked a very pretty young girl carrying a tray with a teapot, cup, milk etc on it. As she placed the tray on the bedside cabinet she deftly and swiftly caught the corner of the bedclothes and whipped them back. Before the guy could react, down she went and gave him probably the best blow job he had ever had. As it all finished she stood up wiping the corner of her mouth and went to leave the room. The man said before you go please tell me who you are?

She turned, smiled and said "I'm the Goblin Teasmaid"
Good one!

Les
Old 24 February 2010, 12:25 PM
The_Beast
Scooby Regular

Looks fantastic.

I know so many people that spend at least £3 per day on coffee whilst in the office and it really adds up. They all say it costs them roughly between £600 & £700 a year. If that machine lasts over 2.5 maybe 3 years (depending how much you drink) you actually start making a saving.

Can you tell I can justify anything with a few caclulations.
Old 24 February 2010, 12:43 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The_Beast
Looks fantastic.

I know so many people that spend at least £3 per day on coffee whilst in the office and it really adds up. They all say it costs them roughly between £600 & £700 a year. If that machine lasts over 2.5 maybe 3 years (depending how much you drink) you actually start making a saving.

How so unless you install the machine at work - my work would have a field day with such an appliance put into the kitchen. They complained when someone had a Tassimo machine in there over the weekend lol.

I do like a nice coffee and have a crappy £100 Krups Espresso Machine which is very hit & miss. Its also more the hassle of making one that puts me off as well especially if making for several people. Always fancied a bean 2 cup one but never got to the point of justifying the funds.

Simon
Old 24 February 2010, 12:51 PM
The_Beast
Scooby Regular

We have this one at work Buy Krups EA8080 Evolution Automatic Coffee Machine online at JohnLewis.com

One of the lads brought it in. We all use it and it is great and makes very nice coffee. If you can't have one at work you can always make one before you leave and put it in

Brugo Travel Mug Black: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

or

Thermos Thermocafe 2060 Steel Travel Mug, 0.4 Litre: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

I used to see people on the tube with those and wondered why would you but actually to be fair it isn't a bad idea. I normally sleep on the tube but a coffee would be good.
Old 24 February 2010, 01:04 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The_Beast
Looks fantastic.

Ah... I may have employed a similar calculation myself - though the wife knows that I hardly ever drink coffee from chain coffee-houses, preferring to "do it myself", so that argument didn't really work very well.

"But IF I DID buy coffee from Starbucks and had two double espressos every day, at £1.70 each - £3.40 a day - £17 a week - £884 a year - ROI inside two years. Yes, I know I've forgotten the cost of the coffee beans, water and electricity but that's a few pence a day and I've got £139 spare!"; "What about the huge expensive grinder you bought last year?"; "Exactly - the ROI on that was covered last year..."

She still objected... quietly.
Old 24 February 2010, 01:10 PM
The_Beast
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrShades
Ah... I may have employed a similar calculation myself - though the wife knows that I hardly ever drink coffee from chain coffee-houses, preferring to "do it myself", so that argument didn't really work very well.

"But IF I DID buy coffee from Starbucks and had two double espressos every day, at £1.70 each - £3.40 a day - £17 a week - £884 a year - ROI inside two years. Yes, I know I've forgotten the cost of the coffee beans, water and electricity but that's a few pence a day and I've got £139 spare!"; "What about the huge expensive grinder you bought last year?"; "Exactly - the ROI on that was covered last year..."

She still objected... quietly.
I totally agree and it is very good logic. You see if you didn't "do it yourself" then you would have to resort to the likes of Starbucks. Once you taste proper coffee it is hard to go back to instant.

My Mr trained me into thinking that way and now I can justify anything especially good quality and expensive handbags.

Quick Reply: Coffee geeks - I've seriously upgraded my machine...