Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any Dentists on here

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2010, 10:33 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any Dentists on here

Ive been told by my dentist I will need a crown on one of my front teeth as the filling keeps coming loose 6 times in as many months,
How good are crowns ???? Should I just keep getting the tooth filled,
Im not going to another dentist mines ok
Old 22 February 2010, 10:49 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A crown is more trouble than a filling!

You could go for a MaryLand Bridge ...
Old 22 February 2010, 11:01 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I've had a couple of crowns on two front teeth for about 30 years. dl
Old 22 February 2010, 11:09 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
A crown is more trouble than a filling!

You could go for a MaryLand Bridge ...
F*ck me!
No offence - but you are a complete tool.
Keep it up
What would be the point of bridging a non-existent gap
Old 22 February 2010, 11:21 PM
jcool
Scooby Newbie

Not a dentist, just an anaesthetist, so am always asking patients about their teeth in case I knock any out!

Vast majority of people with crowns say they've had them in for years and have had no bother with them. And I've never (yet...) managed to knock one out.

Good luck!

j
Old 22 February 2010, 11:29 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any chance of posting a quick pic of the offending tooth ??

Crowns (caps) come in a variety of flavours depending on the situation. All crowns involve cutting the tooth down to a stump and fitting the "crown" over the stump so it looks like a natural tooth.

Crowns last longer than fillings (average crown has a lifespan of 8-12 years) but things can go wrong as the tooth has been filled down to fit the crown.

25% of crowned teeth over a five year period show signs of nerve damage and might need a root canal treatment. This reduces the lifespan of the tooth considerable

This data is for old style crowns which require a lot of tooth preparation and more modern minimal preparation crowns might have fewer complications. More modern crowns are often called ....all ceramic...Resin Bonded Crown...Procera......Lava....Zirconia....... Believe me the the list is endless.

Crowns in young people are also tricky......statistically crowns work best in people over 45 LOL

In guess Cster is a dentist also LOL
Cheers

Shaun

Carlisle Dental Centre | Your Nearest Services | NHS Cumbria

PS PS lewis is a tool LOL Maryland Bridge LOL I met the guy who designed them.....Gus J livaditis

ProsthodonticsTowson, MD and York, PA,, General DentistTowson, MD and York, PA
Old 22 February 2010, 11:30 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Just make sure you are happy with the colour if/when you have one fitted but dentists are usually very careful about this (or at least my Mrs was when she fitted them!!). dl

Trending Topics

Old 23 February 2010, 12:10 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Midlife is your man.

Ooops there he is Gave me great advice and am as happy as a pig in $hit
Old 23 February 2010, 07:51 AM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Any chance of posting a quick pic of the offending tooth ??

Crowns (caps) come in a variety of flavours depending on the situation. All crowns involve cutting the tooth down to a stump and fitting the "crown" over the stump so it looks like a natural tooth.

Crowns last longer than fillings (average crown has a lifespan of 8-12 years) but things can go wrong as the tooth has been filled down to fit the crown.

25% of crowned teeth over a five year period show signs of nerve damage and might need a root canal treatment. This reduces the lifespan of the tooth considerable

This data is for old style crowns which require a lot of tooth preparation and more modern minimal preparation crowns might have fewer complications. More modern crowns are often called ....all ceramic...Resin Bonded Crown...Procera......Lava....Zirconia....... Believe me the the list is endless.

Crowns in young people are also tricky......statistically crowns work best in people over 45 LOL

In guess Cster is a dentist also LOL
Cheers

Shaun

Carlisle Dental Centre | Your Nearest Services | NHS Cumbria

PS PS lewis is a tool LOL Maryland Bridge LOL I met the guy who designed them.....Gus J livaditis

ProsthodonticsTowson, MD and York, PA,, General DentistTowson, MD and York, PA
good advise thanks, i dont (can not) do pics, its the tooth at the side of my front two, its just been filled at the outer edge (nearest front) my dentist says it £200 just for that , or if I get the other tooth at the other side of my 2 front one,s crowned the same (it has a discouloured filling in) for the same price then I will have a maching set i hope
Old 23 February 2010, 08:52 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Maryland Bridge LOL I met the guy who designed them.....Gus J livaditis
Interesting - how would you deal with a missing upper insisor then? Genuine question as a Maryland Bridge seems the least intrusive option.
Old 23 February 2010, 12:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I had a crown done some years ago to a front tooth. It was not a painful job, the dentist got the colour spot on, and it has never given me a moment's trouble.

Les
Old 23 February 2010, 12:50 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
Interesting - how would you deal with a missing upper insisor then? Genuine question as a Maryland Bridge seems the least intrusive option.
I am advised that a Maryland Bridge is used when one of the adjacent remaining teeth is in poor condition and not suitable to act as a support for the bridge. This means that the bridge is only fixed to one tooth instead of the usual two (one each side) so is inherently weaker. dl
Old 23 February 2010, 01:21 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Alanbell

the commonest upper teeth to be crowned are the lateral incisors, they are physically smaller that the two front teeth and you can quickly run out of tooth to fill...... necessitating a crown. You wil have to trust your dentists judgement as to when the tooth can't be reasonably filled. I guess the filling falling out several times is a pretty good clue.

The question about the tooth on the other side is a bit more tricky......if the filling is big and coming to the end of it's clinical lifespan then it's reasonable to think about crowning it rather than mess about with replacement fillings falling out.

Maryland bridges....... They are a sort of adhesive bridge where the artificial tooth is bonded to the adjacent teeth / tooth. It all goes back to the 1970's when a Frenchman called Rochette came up with the idea of an artificial tooth stuck to the teeth, until then bridges were held on with crows. his idea used perforated metal plates which were a bit thick and chunky.

The University of Maryland came up with the idea of using thin metal plates but the surface was treated (etched) to get the required retention. We no longer actually etch the metal as sandblasting does the trick.

Maryland bridges have to be (ideally) cemented to unrestored teeth which have plenty of enamel to bond to. The idea of using one tooth to hold the bridge goes back to 1982 when two guys from london (Tay and Shaw) looked at the success rate of bridges cemented onto one tooth and fount it better than those attached to two teeth. It's to do with differential movement and de-bonding by the way.LOL

Sunnyside up....In general terms the favoured replacement of single teeth in an otherwise unrestored arch is a dental implant. Maryland bridges have an unpredictable clinical lifespan because of de-bonding and are not considered by many to be a "permanent" replacement.

HTH

Shaun
Old 23 February 2010, 01:45 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Sunnyside up....In general terms the favoured replacement of single teeth in an otherwise unrestored arch is a dental implant. Maryland bridges have an unpredictable clinical lifespan because of de-bonding and are not considered by many to be a "permanent" replacement.

HTH

Shaun
Yes, of course Dentists are recommending implants (which need to be serviced regularly) ... they carry a huge profit margin!! I mean, come on, £2000 for what is after all just a helicoil implant is daylight robbery!! IMO.

Maryland Bridge on the NHS is £197 - and, I'm told, isn't considered temporary .... even if it lasts 3 years and then needs re-cementing at £42 - it takes a long life to see the wisdom of an Implant.

If anyone wants an Implant - they should take a holiday and get it done for less than 25% of the UK charges - overseas!

Last edited by SunnySideUp; 23 February 2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 23 February 2010, 04:58 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

SSU

Actually implants are very cost effective and this is why there are made available in selected cases for my NHS patients. They are basically "fire and forget" for years on end.

Statistics from the University of Nijmegan on silicoated maryland bridges have them debonding (on average) about once per year.......total that up over a lifetime and the cost in time for remakes and bonding, then an implant makes perfect sense....

I can show you some very good reasons for not going abroad for implant treatment LOL

Shaun
Old 23 February 2010, 05:17 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can show you some very good reasons for not going abroad for implant treatment LOL
I can only imagine.

I don't really like the dentist personally - nothing against her as such.
Just don't like all that hoking and poking

Infact I've an appointment this Thursday unfortuantely

Shaun