Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Another cat thread - thinking of throwing in the towel with my twins

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2010, 03:28 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Another cat thread - thinking of throwing in the towel with my twins

Apologies for another cat thread to those that see them as vermin but to be fair......tough.

I have 6 month old twins (I call them twins but they are really brother and sister but its hard to tell them apart) and they were from a rescue centre that got them from a farm. I wouldn't say they were ferrel in the literal sense but not far off.

Anyway, if I'm honest they've been a complete pain in the ****. They wind each other up which makes them excited which makes one or both of them sick or they have terrible diarrohera. They are healthy and they've been wormed several times but they get very excited particularly over food - cats are scavengers but these two take it to a whole new level - hence why they've been wormed often because its like they have worms.

A friend was eating a sausage roll and she dropped a bit, he was outside mooching about and managed to get from outside to underneath the sausage before it hit the ground. He's eaten a bowl of mash potato, and a bowl of salad cream. We are careful with the food but anything ANYTHING gets eaten first and sh1tted out later. When we are watching TV they both lounge about as cats do but the moment you go to move they rush into the kitchen. Both of them are a bit crap (excuse the pun) at using the tray and often just go over the side.

I've never had two cats before and its more than double the problems. Our last cat didn't do half the things these two do and I'm not expecting them to be the same but these two are absolute hellas!

They are also very loving which makes it hard. He insists on slumping next to you so he is actually resting on you - he needs the contact and is probably the most cuddly cat I've ever had. She has the usual aloof attitude but will still come over to say hello. They also get very bored which doesn't help because when we go to bed we have to shut all the doors except the kitchen and hallway because if left open they will destroy something, eat something, puke over something or take a dump somewhere.

We've called the centre we got them from for advice and they didn't seem in the least surprised they've given us trouble. They do have a farm where they keep the horses which might suit them better - but its a real heart puller to admit defeat and send them packing.
Old 22 February 2010, 04:05 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im having a nightmare trying to re-home one at the moment.

Rang plenty of rescue centres but they all seem to be full. Also had a few people I know say they would take it, then not get back in touch with me.

Its a shame really its a really nice cat, and also comes with about a years supply of food.
Old 22 February 2010, 04:29 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Oh, I wish I could help you out. I don't think my 11year old Siamese would take too kindly to an adult cat, hence looking for a kitten. Sorry
Old 22 February 2010, 04:40 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

They are teenagers I guess. An old cat wouldn't cope with these two. They make a boisterous child look like a calm angel.

They are just into everything and nearly every night theres some crash or other from the kitchen as they knock something else over. We are supposed to have a food recycle box in the kitchen for food waste but they will knock it over and tear it to bits to get inside.
Old 22 February 2010, 04:55 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only guess(hope) they'll settle down.

Wife replaced dead cat with new kitten and it was a complete pain in the **** for about 3 months.

Into everything like you've described - I even witnessed the ****** 3/4 way up the wall one night ripping the paper off in the descent.

Food - went mad for the stuff, however one night at dinner I just grabbed it and locked it out in the conservatory whilst we ate.
That was the best thing ever because it just knocked that behaviour in the head immediately.

Now its reasonable (ish)

It randomly will take some sort of mad fit and just sprint about if that makes sense.
At Christmas it took a mad fit and ran across the living room to jump into the Christmas tree - stupid ******

Other oddities.
If you're walking upstairs and its on the landing it hides and wacks you on the head with its paw as you go past.
Same goes for some climbing thing it has, basically if its high enough and you go past you get wacked - but no claws or anything.

The random sprinting around is sort of quite funny in a way though.

Its about 30 months old now too, she got it at 10 weeks I think.
Old 22 February 2010, 04:59 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Edd.........if they're only 6 months old, then they are still kittens. Have they both been done? It would be a shame to give up on them, when they're just doing what kittens do.......charging about, being daft and causing havoc. They will settle down.

How much are you feeding them? Our cat is a nightmare for her biscuits. She loves them and will start throwing stuff off the work surface if she doesn't get them NOW!! She's got a Whiskas ball with an adjustable opening which you put a few treats in, and she has to try and get them out. That keeps her occupied. You need to play with them to distract them from the food mentality.

As for the litter tray.........try one with a lid or the type which has a removable rim around the edge. Just hang in there.......
Old 22 February 2010, 09:19 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
I can only guess(hope) they'll settle down.

Wife replaced dead cat with new kitten and it was a complete pain in the **** for about 3 months.

Into everything like you've described - I even witnessed the ****** 3/4 way up the wall one night ripping the paper off in the descent.

Food - went mad for the stuff, however one night at dinner I just grabbed it and locked it out in the conservatory whilst we ate.
That was the best thing ever because it just knocked that behaviour in the head immediately.

Now its reasonable (ish)

It randomly will take some sort of mad fit and just sprint about if that makes sense.
At Christmas it took a mad fit and ran across the living room to jump into the Christmas tree - stupid ******

Other oddities.
If you're walking upstairs and its on the landing it hides and wacks you on the head with its paw as you go past.
Same goes for some climbing thing it has, basically if its high enough and you go past you get wacked - but no claws or anything.

The random sprinting around is sort of quite funny in a way though.

Its about 30 months old now too, she got it at 10 weeks I think.
thats hilarious. its like its teasing you since its at your height.

My old cats used to have similar antics. They would climb the curtains and just hang there. Infact we found one of my kittens asleep there once

Trending Topics

Old 23 February 2010, 12:53 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Care to swap for three boys aged 10, 12 and 14, they sound fairly similar in terms of habits.
Old 23 February 2010, 02:07 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

I suspect if you authoritatively speak then the three boys will behave
Old 23 February 2010, 02:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You may find that they will settle down a bit when they are a bit older. Not surprising at their age to be so lively.

I bet that when they do sort themselves out that you would be very sorry to lose them.

Cats usually get a "wild hair up it" at times and dash about a bit, our 5 year old one does what feels like a cool 90 around the house sometimes. we treat it as part of the entertainment!

Les
Old 23 February 2010, 03:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Have you tried feeding them completely separately? One in one room, t'other somewhere else?

Cats are VERY competetive for food, since it takes them ages to unlearn their wild instinct, (MUST eat as much as I can and more, where is the NEXT meal coming from?), and learn the tame bit: I get fed at this time every day, don't worry.

Feeding them together MAY be setting them into sort-of competition with each other, you know, get it before she does, eat all mine before she finishes and has mine too.

Worth a try?
Old 23 February 2010, 04:15 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

We have wondered that about the food issue.

He eats much faster than her and its him that has the dodgy stomach. He isn't unwell and is full of gusto but when he goes to the toilet its like soup! You can here his stomach going and god help you if you pick him up too soon after food.

Having complained bitterly the last day or so they've been quite quiet. His stomach is still a loose cannon but I finally worked out why they were destroying part of the kitchen - somehow an unopened pot noodle had been left behind the bread bin and they were after that. Managed to get the top off and eat most of the loose bits too - might explain the dodgy tummies.

Anyway, will try feeding them seperately and will hang in for a while longer. I feel like I'm betraying them in a way considering handing them to the centre.
Old 23 February 2010, 05:08 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

We have bother and sister too. With the food we leave two bowls of dry food out all the time, always topped up so they can go and get a bit when they want it.
Because they know they always have food they dont get worked up about it.

If they are pulling up carpet or something at night get some of those little fun snaps and when they scratch throw one (not at them but in the room you are in at the wall) the will soon put scratching carpet etc together with bad noise and they will stop doing it.

Stick with them, they are still babies and you will get back what you put into them (no pun intended with the food situation)
Old 23 February 2010, 05:24 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Are you giving them milk Edd? That could give him a dodgy tummy. Give them only water to drink. Also, you can get cat biscuits for sensitive stomachs, and you could try him on some scrambled egg, or beaten raw egg. You need to watch his fluid intake, as they become dehydrated very quickly if they've got the squits. You could poach a bit of fish for him and give him the fishy water to drink. Please don't give up on them yet, they really are just being normal kittens.
Old 23 February 2010, 05:40 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

You shouldn't give cats milk by the way.

VET told me that.
Old 23 February 2010, 05:48 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

My younger sister "helped" her cats over various behaviour issues by always having a jif lemon full of water in her pocket. As soon as she spotted Outspan, (he WAS orange...sorry) doing something bad, she squirted him with water. He soon got the idea of doing something bad = getting wet, through his little head
Old 23 February 2010, 05:49 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
You shouldn't give cats milk by the way.

VET told me that.
I just said that!
Old 24 February 2010, 11:17 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It somehow feels cruel if they wound up in seperate homes. They must have a very strong bond.

Les
Old 24 February 2010, 11:25 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Try a whistle as a training aid, cats dont like whistles. But only blow on it when they are doing something wrong.
We have not long ago taken on a rescue Persian kitten we always have mature cats and said we would never have a kitten. She can be a demon even though she is ill. She loves to chew electrical cables, we have found that whistle training has worked wonders, she now completely ignores the cables and doesnt ever go behind the TV. She doesnt scratch at the furniture either. The whistle was a trick from the Felix cat training website, but dont blow it too loud and frighten them and only use it when they behave in way that you are not happy with.

Dont forget kittens are just full of energy and need lots of play so provide them with active toys and plenty of you and your familys time, tire them out.....

Last edited by r32; 24 February 2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 24 February 2010, 11:32 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a good tip.

Les