Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2010, 05:30 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Cat'n'Fiddle - RIP

PistonHeads Headlines
Originally Posted by LINK
The Cat and Fiddle route, one of Britain’s most celebrated driving roads, is set to be neutered by average speed cameras.
BBC News - Speed cameras for dangerous Cat and Fiddle road

What was it Clarkson said when he was driving that Aston ?

Flash Earth ...satellite and aerial imagery of the Earth in Flash
Old 22 February 2010, 06:04 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by some bleedin speed ****
The cameras are expected to be in use by the end of March. They have been designed to minimize the impact on the landscape.
Or,

'They have been designed so no ****** can see them and we earn big $$$ AND spoil everyone's fun, cos we're bleedin speed *****'.

Old 22 February 2010, 06:32 AM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Lost a couple of mates over the years both speeding both experienced bikers.both on the cat & fiddle.
Old 22 February 2010, 07:04 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry, but how will average speed cameras stop the bikers from speeding? Don't they take the image from the front?
Old 22 February 2010, 08:11 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Excellent point and I would think the combination of fast bikes and slow cars could lead to more accidents.
Old 22 February 2010, 10:27 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

The thing is, they've tried everything else already to cut down on the accidents up there but people keep dying and it's always due to going too fast for the conditions and getting it wrong; either overshooting corners, hitting diesel, hitting a sheep, head-on's from poor overtaking etc. It's a great road and a real shame that it's come to this, though.
Old 22 February 2010, 10:33 AM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
I'm sorry, but how will average speed cameras stop the bikers from speeding? Don't they take the image from the front?
The rear-facing cameras will scan number plates

Average speed cameras on the Cat and Fiddle - Macclesfield Express

Trending Topics

Old 22 February 2010, 10:58 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mogsi
The rear-facing cameras will scan number plates

Average speed cameras on the Cat and Fiddle - Macclesfield Express
Ahhh, that's ok* then!

*ok as in being fair to both cars and bikes
Old 22 February 2010, 11:02 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

The enjoyment of driving is being beaten away from us (not by the mafia)

I was having a right old crappy day last saturday, a real killer at work, i was pretty pissed off when i arrived home afterwards, unfortuantly the missus just made things worse and i had a right old winge at her instead.

**** it! i am off out for a drive, never went out for a decent drive for about 2/3 years and i know a decent route of NSA back twisty roads, perfect!

Nope, within about 15 mins i had hit the most almighty of potholes, i never even saw it coming as it was an unlit road,

****ing
****ing

I ended up driving to work (at 9pm) to check the car over under the floodlights, and spent the rest of my night sulking in the office with a cup of coffee
Old 22 February 2010, 11:24 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If the casualty figures are that bad for that stretch of road, then what else can the authorities do? They can't just ignore it. They could of course lay "sleeping policemen" and that would really annoy everyone.

Its down to the prats who mindlessly go well over the top and as ever spoil it for everyone else!

Les
Old 22 February 2010, 11:26 AM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

I hate the government sometimes, no sorry most of the time.C&F is only one of a few entertaining roads to enjoy near me, i would go there most weekends.They don't have cameras abroad on their twisties & some roads are far better quality.Common sense says, the better the road quality the more confident you are to go faster right ( as long as you are skillful ).Especially when riding a m'bike.It's bs as usual from the government, they just want your money & safety falls by the wayside.Why is it "speed cameras" have been introduced, in the last 10-15 years yet the technology to make our roads up to standard with foreign countries just isn't there or not used to yield best results ???.They have got people by the ***** & i'm tired of it.The street where i live was smooth black asphalt then the government decided to cover it with this blue grit rubbish.It doesn't matter how much grip the roads give, a 2wd car still struggles to get out in snow & ice.Plus during the first few hours after this was laid, it sticks to every orifice of your car.Also looks unclean with the shoddy work done to the paths.Rant over.Carry on with the topic peeps.
Old 22 February 2010, 12:15 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

My mum lives 2 mins from that road and it is a pita when some tw@ on a fireblade tries to get into my exhaust then overtakes on a blind bend almost skimming my wingmirror in the process!

Ive seen some MENTAL overtakes on that road, some people think they are immotal, plus its a pita from may to september cos the police are always speedchecking and pulling people over for random inspections, causing chaos!

plus its always full of daddies girls riding a horse that is too big for them with 3 other prats in tow all meandering along chatting, oblivious to the fact they are holding up every ****** else on the road, ive heard of bikes ploughing into them too!

plus maybe more cameras means less police presence, good for the doggers and smokers of macc!
Old 22 February 2010, 12:38 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I'm a biker and i've ridden it, far too busy in summer to be fun any way and as others have said the once a month idiots have only got themselves to blame. shame these nuggests ruin it for the regulars/locals too though.

5t.
Old 22 February 2010, 12:45 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

The trouble with the statistics they are using is that all incidents on the road, no matter how insignificant, are counted, and then lumped together under the speeding bracket

These cameras wouldn't have stopped the pillock from dying who walked out in front of an artic to take a picture of the view, or the one who did the same and got hit by a Harley

Nor would they have stopped the old dear who, instead of slowing or stopping because of the sheep in the middle of her lane, decided to swerve into the oncoming traffic instead

I live near the foot of the C & F, and I'm pretty sure most of the bike incidents listed in those stats were single rider accidents, no other vehicle involved, and a large proportion of those got up and limped away.

Last edited by CrisPDuk; 22 February 2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 22 February 2010, 12:46 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I also know one of the incidents listed is mine, I had a blow out on a front tyre of the golf after hitting a piece of dislodged dry stone wall, the car weaved about a bit as I pulled it over to the side of the road, and the woman following me decided I was having an accident, so dialled 999

A traffic car rolled up just as I was putting the knackered wheel in the boot after fitting the spare. He had to fill out an incident report because of the emergency call, so I'm now a statistic
Old 22 February 2010, 12:50 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
I also know one of the incidents listed is mine, I had a blow out on a front tyre of the golf after hitting a piece of dislodged dry stone wall, the car weaved about a bit as I pulled it over to the side of the road, and the woman following me decided I was having an accident, so dialled 999

A traffic car rolled up just as I was putting the knackered wheel in the boot after fitting the spare. He had to fill out an incident report because of the emergency call, so I'm now a statistic
I would have told them to stick their form where the sun dont shine!

And why is it always women who call 999 on other poples behalf, live your own life ffs, not someone elses!
Old 22 February 2010, 01:03 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
I would have told them to stick their form where the sun dont shine!

And why is it always women who call 999 on other poples behalf, live your own life ffs, not someone elses!
To be fair it wasn't the copper's fault, and he was very nice about it all

Besides, it was pure pure fluke that I happened to be on the right side of the posted limit that day

It does pay to be nice to traffic officers, not one of the many points I've collected over the years has come to me from an encounter with them
Old 22 February 2010, 01:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Spot on CPD.

Les
Old 22 February 2010, 01:16 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk

I'm surprised he actually bothered with the card. I'd have told control that I'd spoken with you, confirmed that it was a third party report made in good faith and stated there is no need for the card.
Old 22 February 2010, 01:41 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

[quote=Inspector Brian Rogers, from Cheshire Constabulary]"Tragically, many riders set out in the morning with friends for an enjoyable day out and never return home because they made one simple error that proved catastrophic." Define 'many'.

Like 'many' people die pursuing other sporting interests, rugby, sea fishing, shooting, etc. Let's ban all of those.

The aim should be to protect the innocent who get caught up in the accidents. In the case of bike accidents, that is very few.
Old 22 February 2010, 05:19 PM
Lily The Beige
Scooby Regular

The two accidents I've seen both happened on Sunday afternoon, on the same bend they just spent a fortune widening. On both occasions bikes misjudge the corner and hit on coming cars. I'm sure putting a barrier up the middle of the road would help.
Just my opinion.
Old 22 February 2010, 06:40 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant say I am surprised, the last few ties I have been down its been painful, a dangerous mix of cars, cyclists, HGV's and bikers and I have to say that its the bikers that stand out as being a large percentage of the problem as they seem to expect to rock up on a Sunday afternoon and do a trackday through traffic bumbling along at 40/50 at 100 mph plus, not all bikers granted but there seems to be an element that insist on going flat out and taking massive risks, you know latest bike, matching leathers, illegal cans and more ego than brains.

Now I get bikes, I like bikes and generally find bikes well ridden but their seems to be a certain amount of showing off going on and it doesnt work between cars, no wonder there always seems to be a forlorn looking bloke next to the remains of his R1 or an ambulance, it isnt always bikers but they do stand out, I think for a lot of drivers a bike overtaking when you arent expecting it makes you jump and you cant really blame bad driving as I think a lot of non bikers cant comprehend the speed, cant imagine that the bike on your side of the road coming towardss you has enough accelration to get through in plenty of time.

I have seen some speed along there myself (ask j4ckos mate) but its not a very forgiving road, its a shame its been spoilt as it is a fun drive but has become a victim of its own success but there are plenty of other roads, other times and other approaches than flat out on the fastest thing you can get finance for.
Old 22 February 2010, 07:50 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

The Cat 'n' Fiddle, while an excellent road, gets far too busy at certain times of the year.

There are plenty of quiet, just as entertaining bits of tarmac not a million miles away....
Old 22 February 2010, 08:34 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

The one from the Cat & Fiddle road to Bosley crossroads springs to mind

The alternative solution to the speed camera conundrum of course is to get something that's entertaining to ride at slower speeds

Old 22 February 2010, 08:55 PM
Wilky_Boy
Scooby Regular

This road has been on the decline for a while now. I ride a bike and love the C&F but found that a lot of bikers were really taking the p1ss !! I'm talking three figures, over taking on blind bends and on double whites. The last time I went up there in my Scooby I was almost hit head on by a Gixer 1000 who had swerved to avoid some suicidal sheep !!! It really shook me and my Mrs up and the enjoyment of that stretch of tarmac has gone for me ! Spoiled by a few kn0b heads with no self control ( or bike control either !! ).
Old 22 February 2010, 09:19 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

how do you know it was a 1000?
Old 23 February 2010, 11:46 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

It's no surprise really, I live near the A682 which also has a bad rep with bikers and they are going to be doing something on there.

But what else can be done, the last time we were on the A682 we had two absolute lunatics on bikes weaving around and tearing past us at well over 100mph - the second bike only just made it round the back of our car before going round a blind bend leaning over like Rossi

We then saw them pulled over at the end having a *** and laughing when they could have quite easily killed someone.

Nothing wrong with spirited driving but it has to be done within limits, and those limits are much higher now.
Old 23 February 2010, 12:18 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I am against any form of bhp limitation but it does seem a bit mental having a bike weighs about 200 kilos and getting on for 200 bhp to move it, the acceration is incomprehensible to car drivers (short of a Veyron, and even then you cant fall off the back).

I would like to see whether bikers really feel the need for that kind of power to weight to enjoy themselves, is it about bragging rights and would a bike with 100 bhp be fast enough, how often can you wind on full power on the road on a newish litre sports bike an dif you dont ever, whats the point ? I suspect like with a lot of things every few years bikers move to the next lighter and faster bike but sometimes hanker for the fun they had at slower speeds on a 400 cc bike 15 years ago, I know I miss my MK2 Golf GTI despite having had much faster stuff.

How often do sports bike riders terrify themselves and how do you stick to speed limits, at all, one tiny blip and you are past the legal limit !
Old 23 February 2010, 12:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

[quote=speedking;9241459]
Originally Posted by Inspector Brian Rogers, from Cheshire Constabulary
"Tragically, many riders set out in the morning with friends for an enjoyable day out and never return home because they made one simple error that proved catastrophic." Define 'many'.

Like 'many' people die pursuing other sporting interests, rugby, sea fishing, shooting, etc. Let's ban all of those.

The aim should be to protect the innocent who get caught up in the accidents. In the case of bike accidents, that is very few.
Are you saying that belting along the road at well above the limit, chopping people up,and losing it on a bend is a simple error for which one cannot be blamed?

How would you go about protecting the innocent then?

Les
Old 23 February 2010, 12:24 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I am against any form of bhp limitation but it does seem a bit mental having a bike weighs about 200 kilos and getting on for 200 bhp to move it, the acceration is incomprehensible to car drivers (short of a Veyron, and even then you cant fall off the back).

I would like to see whether bikers really feel the need for that kind of power to weight to enjoy themselves, is it about bragging rights and would a bike with 100 bhp be fast enough, how often can you wind on full power on the road on a newish litre sports bike an dif you dont ever, whats the point ? I suspect like with a lot of things every few years bikers move to the next lighter and faster bike but sometimes hanker for the fun they had at slower speeds on a 400 cc bike 15 years ago, I know I miss my MK2 Golf GTI despite having had much faster stuff.

How often do sports bike riders terrify themselves and how do you stick to speed limits, at all, one tiny blip and you are past the legal limit !
To have a machine with that sort of performance is a joy J4CKO. I have had 'bikes like that and the trick is to have a bit of common sense and responsibility in the way that you use the performance. Restricting nutters to less powerful machines, although it removes a lot of the temptation, will still not stop them being stupid on less capable machines. They just need to realise that if they do behave dangerously or stupidly, then they will get it well and truly in the neck from the law.

Les

Quick Reply: Cat'n'Fiddle - RIP