Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Issue with Neighbours Hedge

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2010, 08:44 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with Neighbours Hedge

My (soon to be ex-neighbour - they're moving) recently planted a row of bushes alongside my drive, see below. The gardener who put them in advised against it as they are very close to my drive but he was told to do it anyway. I asked the neighbour if he would consider NOT putting them in but was basically told to mind my own business.

Now, when they were short, I wasn't too worried but I foresaw the looming problem. They are now approx 1.5 m tall and woody. Everytime I open the scoobs door I am catching the paintwork

The guy is a tool of the highest order (IMHO) and is about as receptive as a synagogue to a pork pie convention. I will try talking to his Mrs and see if she would accept me paying the gardener to remove the offending bushes and perhaps replace with some low growing leafy plants but I don't hold out much hope.

What would you do if the existing neighbours refuse to remove the bushes and decline the offer to replace them?

Last edited by jods; 18 February 2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 18 February 2010, 09:14 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Round-up.

You know it makes sense

What you've suggested is more than reasonable but if the neighbour is the tool you make him out to be then I wouldn't hold out much hope for reason.

Last edited by SJ_Skyline; 18 February 2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 18 February 2010, 09:20 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

i had a similiar situation with an old neighbour where i lived, i asked him to cut/trim his bushes back and he wouldnt, so i did, i cut them so badly he had to get someone in to remove them haha, he did comment on it but i told him i asked him to do it and he never so i took it into my own hands, if he did try to get arsey with me then how was he going to prove i had cut them back in the first place
Old 18 February 2010, 09:20 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods

What would you do if the existing neighbours refuse to remove the bushes and decline the offer to replace them?
Move where you have no neighbours.
Old 18 February 2010, 09:32 PM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

accidently spill a bag of rocksalt whilst removing it from your car. Dead bushed.
Old 18 February 2010, 09:34 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Move the car,then burn them down
Old 18 February 2010, 10:07 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
Move the car,then burn them down
I have a cunning plan!

I'll wait till the weekend (busy during the week) and take my branch cutters to the bush that my door hits and will trim it down to 5mm from the ground.

After that - I'll be looking into "RockSalt"

Whatever survives may end up as ash ;-)

ScoobyNet RAWKS !!!!

Will post photo's in due course

Trending Topics

Old 18 February 2010, 10:18 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
I have a cunning plan!

I'll wait till the weekend (busy during the week) and take my branch cutters to the bush that my door hits and will trim it down to 5mm from the ground.

After that - I'll be looking into "RockSalt"

Whatever survives may end up as ash ;-)

ScoobyNet RAWKS !!!!

Will post photo's in due course

I like your thinking
Old 18 February 2010, 10:23 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Any growth over your property line can be cut back by you. You just have to give your neighbour the chance to do the job himself first. If he doesn't then you have free reign, but you can only trim it back to your property line. All legal and above board, then when he's gone approach the new neighbour and ask them if they will go along with your replacement plan.
Old 19 February 2010, 09:53 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Question

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28..._1966/Bush.jpg

I am easily confused but why do I get a piccy of a pair of trainers?

dl
Old 19 February 2010, 10:04 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Its easy to get wound up on this kind of thing, what ever you do dont take the law into your own hands. Should you damage his plants you will most likely come off worse in court. Then simply put, he's won.

Do as suggested cut back (after telling him youre going to do it first) any growth that overhangs your property. Take pictures first so that if it does turn nasty you have evidence.

Good luck.
Old 19 February 2010, 10:47 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Can I just pop in here jsut make sure that you can cut bushes back on your side of the property?

We live in a semi and when the houses were renovated,. bushes were planted inbetween the houses. We are not too fussed about plants and next door only rent.

The bush is I guess 50/50 but we have a driveway and I am scratching my jeep on this bush. Can I just trim the bush back without having to talk to the neighbour? Fortunately we are on speaking terms but we aren't exactly best mates if you get me.
Old 19 February 2010, 10:54 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

See below..... dont forget that the bits you trim off are your neighbours property and must return them, chuck them back over to be as inconvenient as possible if the guy is an ****.

Over Hanging Branches
Branches that grow so as to overhang your neighbours' land are trespassing on his air space. The neighbour can chop the branches back to the boundary but he has to return the lopped branches to the owner of the tree together with any fruit that might have been on them. If he lops beyond his boundary then it is a trespass. It is always best to ask your neighbour first although you do not need his permission to lop overhanging branches so long as they are returned.

You could sue the owner of the tree or shrubs for trespass; nuisance and/or negligence (in this case if they become dangerous).

Garden Law - Trees and Roots
Old 19 February 2010, 11:22 AM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

There you go, Cut off whats intruding on your driveway and deposit them on his. Problem solved.

P.s nice cars!
Old 19 February 2010, 11:41 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by r32
See below..... dont forget that the bits you trim off are your neighbours property and must return them, chuck them back over to be as inconvenient as possible if the guy is an ****.

Over Hanging Branches
Branches that grow so as to overhang your neighbours' land are trespassing on his air space. The neighbour can chop the branches back to the boundary but he has to return the lopped branches to the owner of the tree together with any fruit that might have been on them. If he lops beyond his boundary then it is a trespass. It is always best to ask your neighbour first although you do not need his permission to lop overhanging branches so long as they are returned.

You could sue the owner of the tree or shrubs for trespass; nuisance and/or negligence (in this case if they become dangerous).

Garden Law - Trees and Roots
Unless the branches are attached to a tree that is subject to a tree preservation order. That opens up a whole new can of worms - as I found out with the 7 trees, all in excess of 60' bordering my property with a number of large overhanging branches.
Old 19 February 2010, 12:03 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

You have mentioned it to him already about cutting them back, lop them off post them through his letterbox.
Old 19 February 2010, 12:32 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Copper nails.
Old 19 February 2010, 12:54 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

We had this issue some years ago at parents house. Neighbours bushes were a nightmare especially when getting in/out of cars after rainfall. We would get a soaking from the water off them
We didn't have particularly great cars back then. However, marking the paintwork wasn't an issue - I don't know what the bushes were but they were not harsh (if that makes sense).

We didn't say anything but eventually the neighbours recognised there was a problem and cut them down

Nick
Old 19 February 2010, 12:54 PM
Kinni
Scooby Regular

What if you reversed your car onto the drive wouldn't the drivers door then be away from the hedge?
Old 19 February 2010, 01:08 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

All the advice about trimming to your line if he wont do it is fine as well as returning the trimmings to him.

It is worth starting off on a friendly footing with your next neighbour and maybe he will agree to a compromise.

Les
Old 19 February 2010, 04:32 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Wait until the day he moves out, when he has done his final load, chop them down and replace with plants. I bet the new neighbours won't even know
Old 19 February 2010, 04:44 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Inform neighbour of intent to trim an overhanging tree or plant

This may be of some help
Old 19 February 2010, 07:40 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

What about wait till he goes then quickly get them chopped down before the new people come?

We need some proper photos on here to get a better idea. If they arent overhanging on to your side I dont think you can do anything.
A mate of mine had a neighbour build a car port with metal beams which meant he could hardly open his car doors- he could do nothing about it as they are within the neighbours boundary. - This sounds similar to your hedge problem.
Old 19 February 2010, 08:43 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by Spoon
Move where you have no neighbours.
That'd be next door to your fan club then?

They bushes aren't overhanging at the moment as I've been trimming them as and when required.
The problem is - I can see them getting much bigger over time and I'd rather nip it in the bud now rather then have it become a bone of contention in the future.

I'm almost certain the bellend did this on purpose to p155 me off. He asked me to cut some trees down last summer so he got a bit more sunlight towards the end of a summers day. Even if I wanted to - I couldn't as they are protected. And - I like them. Nice to see the squirrels running through them at all times of year and they play host to innumerable nests so "Excuse me" if I don't hack them down :P

Last edited by jods; 19 February 2010 at 08:52 PM.