Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Judge says Sikhs should be able to carry knife in school.

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2010, 10:06 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Judge says Sikhs should be able to carry knife in school.

Story this morning about the UK's first Asian Judge saying that he thinks Sikh boys should be allowed to wear their ceremonial dagger to school.

Why is it that the safety and welfare of others shold be disregarded because it is a religious belief?

What about other beliefs? If white supremecist famlies collectively said that their kids should wear a ceremonial Glock, do you think they would be allowed to?

It beggars belief!

Geezer
Old 08 February 2010, 10:17 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Regardless or religion/cultural beliefs the children at the school are not safe if anyone is walking around with a knife.

So what if said wearer of the knife knows not to go around stabbing people.... if Joe Bloggs has skipped his Ritalin that morning and decides he is going on a mission, it makes no difference who the knife belongs too.

I think it's absolutely mental.

Last edited by Hysteria1983; 08 February 2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08 February 2010, 10:29 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

It does say it the report that the judge is retarded.

Oooops, sorry retired
Old 08 February 2010, 11:28 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Some years ago there WAS a stabbing outside a local school.
Now this school is very heavy on the ethnic intake, and it just so happened that the kid who DID the stabbing was from an ethnic minority.

The upshot was a local nosey councillor took up the kid's case and threatened to take the school to the Race Relations Board if only the ethnic kid, the stabber, was expelled.He wanted both, for fighting, or neither.

School didn't want the stink, and caved

And the councillor? An Asian Muslim.

It didn't do the school any favours though. The result was a loss of intake, white families wouldn't send their kids there, saying, "No chance, the Asian kids rule that place!"
Old 08 February 2010, 11:45 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sick and tired of all this islam/muslim beliefs shyte.

**** off from our country - you're destroying it

If you want to live in our country then abide by our rules fullstop or **** off.

We need to clamp down on this absurd nonsense via judicial means and show that we mean business and won't be pressurised by the "racial" card.
Old 08 February 2010, 12:21 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

Or the religion card either thank you.
Old 08 February 2010, 12:26 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban

If you want to live in our country then abide by our rules fullstop or **** off.

We need to clamp down on this absurd nonsense via judicial means and show that we mean business and won't be pressurised by the "racial" card.
Agree,
Old 08 February 2010, 12:50 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Some years ago there WAS a stabbing outside a local school.
Now this school is very heavy on the ethnic intake, and it just so happened that the kid who DID the stabbing was from an ethnic minority.

The upshot was a local nosey councillor took up the kid's case and threatened to take the school to the Race Relations Board if only the ethnic kid, the stabber, was expelled.He wanted both, for fighting, or neither.

School didn't want the stink, and caved

And the councillor? An Asian Muslim.

It didn't do the school any favours though. The result was a loss of intake, white families wouldn't send their kids there, saying, "No chance, the Asian kids rule that place!"

Dude have you got a link of that story??? I ain't Asian but this whole thing started About Sikh people and now some how turned in to some Muslim thing as usual
Old 08 February 2010, 01:00 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Generally the Sikhs conduct themselves with dignity and seem to integrate well in my experience but insisting children are able to carry a "Dagger", i.e. a lethal weapon goes against everything the Police and government are trying to do to avoid stabbings.

I suspect there is a compromise that can be made here, the dagger I expect for religous observance does not need to be a lethal weapon and as such could be limited in size and be blunt or set up so it cant be drawn from its sheath.

I would hope that this doesnt become a wedge between the Sikh community and everybody else, it doesnt need to be, we have enough wedges.

Also, I cant say I have heard about loads of young Sikh males going round tooled up stabbing people, that seems to be the preserve of other sections of society.
Old 08 February 2010, 01:05 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mus 1st class sti type r
Dude have you got a link of that story??? I ain't Asian but this whole thing started About Sikh people and now some how turned in to some Muslim thing as usual
I did wonder, but forgot to mention about that, I will bet its them naughty Muslims that have put the Sikhs up to it
Old 08 February 2010, 01:16 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Generally the Sikhs conduct themselves with dignity and seem to integrate well in my experience but insisting children are able to carry a "Dagger", i.e. a lethal weapon goes against everything the Police and government are trying to do to avoid stabbings.

I suspect there is a compromise that can be made here, the dagger I expect for religous observance does not need to be a lethal weapon and as such could be limited in size and be blunt or set up so it cant be drawn from its sheath.

I would hope that this doesnt become a wedge between the Sikh community and everybody else, it doesnt need to be, we have enough wedges.

Also, I cant say I have heard about loads of young Sikh males going round tooled up stabbing people, that seems to be the preserve of other sections of society.
I agree with that you say J4CKO. I don't think it is sensible to allow them to carry a dagger that could be used as a weapon, regardless how trustworthy the Sikh lads would be. Sends the wrong message to the others. I think some kind of representative article which is harmless should be allowed.

Les
Old 08 February 2010, 01:29 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Have to follow up the Scottish roots and go in kilt... with the 'black knife' tucked into your sock. See if that is allowed in school...

Sgian dubh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5t.
Old 08 February 2010, 01:37 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

If the gov't Police and LEA's do not want knives in schools then that's it no knives, no exceptions, no giving in. It is safer for the children and teachers not to have any children carrying knives, ceremonial or not.

I am sure the Sikh (insert whatever religion here) boys can carry the knife in the safety of thier own homes and not to in public places, school's or on the streets.
Old 08 February 2010, 01:46 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

As others: I have a high opinion of Sikhs generally, but I dont want to see daggers in schools under any circumstances.
Old 08 February 2010, 01:46 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

If my kids were at a school were i knew another child or children were allowed to carry knives, i'm sorry but my children would no longer be at said school.
Old 08 February 2010, 01:47 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Thumbs down

Only in the UK why oh why do we let such fools in to positions of power Bl**dy depressing quite frankly

TX.

Last edited by Terminator X; 08 February 2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08 February 2010, 01:52 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I was born in Scotland & when I don the kilt etc it comes with a plastic knife (sgian dubh) rather than a real one! Why should a Sikh be treated any different to someone wearing the traditional kilt?

TX.

Edit - oops, someone else got in first with the sgian dubh.

2nd edit - from Wiki:

"In the United Kingdom, it is legal under the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (section 139)[4] and the Offensive Weapons Act 1996 (section 3 and 4)[5] for someone wearing the national costume of Scotland to carry a Sgian Dubh - see knife legislation."

Last edited by Terminator X; 08 February 2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08 February 2010, 01:55 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

There was a Sikh lad in my class at school who carried his Kirpan with him most of the time although obviously not when on the sports field!

No worries there and that was 25-odd years ago, why such a fuss now?
Old 08 February 2010, 02:14 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I didn't start this thread to bash Muslims or Asians (especially as it was Sikhs not Muslims!) but to highlight the special treatment that any religion gets, including Christianity.

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
There was a Sikh lad in my class at school who carried his Kirpan with him most of the time although obviously not when on the sports field!

No worries there and that was 25-odd years ago, why such a fuss now?
Well strictly speaking, there is nothing wrong with it, I agree, but the law is the law, and no one else is allowed to bring in potentially offensive weapons, so why allow it just because some religion says so when other people are not allowed to?

Geezer
Old 08 February 2010, 02:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Doubt it, you could try the local rag website, it was over ten years ago. They carried the original story of the stabbing, but not the follow up. I know of THAT because a mate taught there.

www.thisiss****horpe.co.uk

B*gger me! The swear filter even censored THAT

Last edited by alcazar; 08 February 2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08 February 2010, 02:17 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

No it hasn't.
I made comments yes - but they are meant to be in the context of people playing on religion and or racial "rights"

People are fed up with this now - most just don't want to admit it.

You see, straight away you're lying down and just accepting it.

Our laws say you cannot carry a dangerous weapon
Why can't these people just accept that?

For example in an islamic country what would happen if I was walking around in public drinking alcohol - I'd be given lashes most likely (I used to work with a guy from Saudia Arabia)

Originally Posted by Geezer
I didn't start this thread to bash Muslims or Asians (especially as it was Sikhs not Muslims!) but to highlight the special treatment that any religion gets, including Christianity.
Geezer
As above - my comments are not directly aimed at muslim.
It was more so religious based
i.e. Its my religion to do this or that
I'm just stating
We'll its either against our laws or causes offence to us, so **** off elsewhere

Last edited by urban; 08 February 2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08 February 2010, 02:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

And you can't say fairer than that. IMHO

We REALLY need to look at what the other countries would let US do over there....
Old 08 February 2010, 02:44 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

As above - my comments are not directly aimed at muslim.
It was more so religious based
i.e. Its my religion to do this or that
I'm just stating
We'll its either against our laws or causes offence to us, so **** off elsewhere
That doesn't really make sense If you were directing it all religions like you say, then why say **** off elsewhere? Where exactly are Christians who have been here for generations supposed to go? These laws are their laws too.

Geezer
Old 08 February 2010, 03:05 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

That doesn't really make sense If you were directing it all religions like you say, then why say **** off elsewhere? Where exactly are Christians who have been here for generations supposed to go? These laws are their laws too.

Geezer
Yes, but are christian laws causing offence to national citizens?

Regardless though, my point is you are in the United Kingdom and you will abide by our rules

We will NOT change our rules just because of something hundreds of years old in your religious beliefs, and if you don't like that then you should leave the country for good.

Simple then.
Old 08 February 2010, 03:09 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
And you can't say fairer than that. IMHO

We REALLY need to look at what the other countries would let US do over there....
Just look what the other countries DO TO US when misdemeanours occur
Old 08 February 2010, 03:22 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Yes, but are christian laws causing offence to national citizens?
Probably, yes, but that is not the point!

Regardless though, my point is you are in the United Kingdom and you will abide by our rules
I think we agree there.

We will NOT change our rules just because of something hundreds of years old in your religious beliefs, and if you don't like that then you should leave the country for good.

Simple then.
This still infers "sod off back to where you came from, [substitute whatever racial/religious stereotype you like here]". If a family came over with the Normans, and they don't like, say, a law that says you cannot wear a crucifix in school, what are the options?

There are plenty of Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, Christians etc etc who have been here for a very long time. The issue is not where they come from (let's face it, Christianity is not a British invention!) but the fact that the law at this time says you can not do something, and they cry foul because of their religion. It is discrimination to allow them to be exempt. The answer is not to wholesale deport them all, because for a lot of them, there is nowhere to deport them to!

Geezer
Old 08 February 2010, 03:34 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

There are plenty of Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, Christians etc etc who have been here for a very long time. r
Yes, and they should live under the same set of rules as the rest of us, simple as that
Old 08 February 2010, 03:37 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Probably, yes, but that is not the point!
Geezer
Indeed - thats not the point.
Point is our country - our rules

OK you cannot just wholesale deport - fair enough.
But enough is enough - no fecking daggers in school
Old 08 February 2010, 03:53 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

I did wonder, but forgot to mention about that, I will bet its them naughty Muslims that have put the Sikhs up to it
pmsl, wind up merchant
Old 08 February 2010, 05:02 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

my wife is actuley sikh from my understanding they have to wear a turban and a bracelt on there arm in regards to carrying daggers when was the last time you heard a sikh guy murdering someone??? maybe they could carry daggers with out a blade or a blastic blade i really dont know much about the sikh religon but life is all about adjusting to accomidate everyone. weather people like it or not the uk has a lot of ethnics and dont forget all the sikhs the muslims and the blacks that helped during the world war even the war in iraq and the golf war. and also helped rebuild this country. im not saying all ethnics are great you will get scum in every nationality however there are many of us that are happy to contribute towards this country, and we do see it as our home

Quick Reply: Judge says Sikhs should be able to carry knife in school.