Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Smoking ?

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2010, 07:53 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smoking ?

Nobody I know apart from my mum smokes anymore, everyone I know who did has stopped, are any new smokers coming through, would anyone start nowadays given the knowledge ?

I have the odd one when out with my mate Dom, who is an ex smoker who has one when he has a beer and I enjoy a few ciggies but its perhaps twice a year, actually doing it day to day abhors me.

How many on here still smoke (no judgement, your choice, too persecuted already for me to have a go) ?

Will it die out ?
Old 06 February 2010, 07:57 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Council house habit.
Old 06 February 2010, 08:02 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

It does seem that way, the cleaners at work all seem to smoke but not the office staff, is it down to IQ nowadays ~? Saying that I think it is down to age as well, a lot of older people like my mum started before it was big issue, my father in law is quite posh and smoked for year, he managed to stop but based on being told he would die, soon, if he didnt and would probably loose limbs in the process.
Old 06 February 2010, 08:05 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Revenue from cigarettes is falling, hence the move to target alcohol more, as well as the rise in motoring expenses and so-called 'green' taxation. The government allegedly spends £472m a day (£172bn a year) more than it collects, so at some point soon we will exhaust our nations historically accumulated wealth and Flash will have bankrupted what was formerly the worlds wealthiest nation. I can see no other outcome.
Old 06 February 2010, 08:07 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Revenue from cigarettes is falling, hence the move to target alcohol more, as well as the rise in motoring expenses and so-called 'green' taxation. The government allegedly spends £472m a day (£172bn a year) more than it collects, so at some point soon we will exhaust our nations historically accumulated wealth and Flash will have bankrupted what was formerly the worlds wealthiest nation. I can see no other outcome.
"Smoke For Britain !"
Old 06 February 2010, 08:13 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

My dad still smokes, I used to smoke, but I can honestly say I don't know anyone who is a 'regular'' smoker anymore other than my dad.

I stopped when I was pregnant, and never looked back.
Old 06 February 2010, 08:15 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I smoked ciggies until 1981 - cigars until 1991 - pipe until 1999 - then stopped.

To take up smoking nowadays shows a distinct lack of intelligence, as the message is quite clear .... it will kill you, it will make your clothes stink, your breath will stink and you will cough up blood and guts during your final weeks alive ...... to start when faced with that takes some stupidity IMO.

The older ones amongst us were not really aware of the dangers, and everyone around us smoked too ....... the banning of smoking in most places has been the best medical advancement in modern times.

Yes, I'm an ex-smoker .... and we are the worst kind of non-smokers when judging the smokers - but it really is a daft thing to do these days
Old 06 February 2010, 08:16 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

only after intercourse
Old 06 February 2010, 08:19 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
only after intercourse
Smoking with that miniscule frequency will do you no harm at all - fill yer boots
Old 06 February 2010, 08:23 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Something else Pete & I have in common

Smoking is the device of the devil and should be made a Class B or even A drug. It's only because it has been "legal" through ignorance for such a long time that it is not banned. Hope it happens soon
Old 06 February 2010, 08:25 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Used to. Can't abide it now, one of the lucky ones who just went off it. Seems more and more to be something folk with low iq or nothing better to do, do.

Last edited by jonny_693; 06 February 2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06 February 2010, 08:25 PM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
Yes, I'm an ex-smoker .... and we are the worst kind of non-smokers when judging the smokers - but it really is a daft thing to do these days

Yes you are. you ex smokers are a the biggest moaners of all (about smoking)

Don't worry though i'll go and have smoke for you now.

impending national doom is loomming.

Government wants everyone to stop smoking stop drinking stop using their cars stop this stop that

Do they know where the lost revenue from these things will come from.

Last edited by D4VEW557; 06 February 2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06 February 2010, 08:33 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Never smoked and never will.
Sister recently stopped and couldn't believe how much smokers stank.
Best move the Government made was to ban smoking in pubs! No more coming home with clothes stinking of cigarette smoke.
If people want to do it, let them do it at home.

Last edited by nik52wrx; 06 February 2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06 February 2010, 08:35 PM
Lisawrx

I still do, it's a habit I haven't managed to break so far.
Old 06 February 2010, 08:40 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D4VEW557
Yes you are. you ex smokers are a the biggest moaners of all (about smoking)
True, as I admitted, but - if it can stop just one person from taking their own life, it will be worth it.

Don't worry though i'll go and have smoke for you now.
Don't have one for me, I don't want one ... have you ever noticed the smell of a smoker when they come in from having a ciggie?

impending national doom is lumming.
No, just your doom is looming.

Government wants everyone to stop smoking stop drinking stop using their cars stop this stop that.
Last time I looked, yes they want everyone to stop smoking .... they want everyone to drink responsibly and to drive responsibly - no-one ever smokes responsibly as it cannot be done

Do they know where the lost revenue from these things will come from.
Probably from the savings made not having ti treat those who are slowly killing themselves?

But, do carry on, at some point you will want to stop ..... as you will come to the realisation that it is killing you. Maybe in the morning your chest is heavy? Maybe you catch a smell of an ashtray? Maybe you start coughing? I really hope you can stop before you have gone too far
Old 06 February 2010, 08:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Its funny, as a child of the 70's and 80's I was smoked around for years, I started work in the late eighties and caught the end of people smoking at their desks, my mum used to say goodnight with a *** in her mouth !

Back then I dont think we noticed it, now if out walking and someone walks past smoking a *** I hate it, it f*ckign stinks and spoils the clean air, still like the smell of cigars, I remember as a kid the smell of a cigar was always during good times, Christmas, family meals, holidays and its hard to break the association.
Old 06 February 2010, 08:42 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
You will, eventually .... it takes something to make you stop - with me it was a massive health scare
Old 06 February 2010, 08:47 PM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

True, as I admitted, but - if it can stop just one person from taking their own life, it will be worth it.

Don't have one for me, I don't want one ... have you ever noticed the smell of a smoker when they come in from having a ciggie?

No, just your doom is looming.

Last time I looked, yes they want everyone to stop smoking .... they want everyone to drink responsibly and to drive responsibly - no-one ever smokes responsibly as it cannot be done

Probably from the savings made not having ti treat those who are slowly killing themselves?

But, do carry on, at some point you will want to stop ..... as you will come to the realisation that it is killing you. Maybe in the morning your chest is heavy? Maybe you catch a smell of an ashtray? Maybe you start coughing? I really hope you can stop before you have gone too far
Wow you really are an anti smoker aren't you.

I enjoy it.

I don't drink, Ive never taken drugs this is my one vice. Shame it's some what unhealthy.
Old 06 February 2010, 08:50 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

You will, eventually .... it takes something to make you stop - with me it was a massive health scare
There is always something that makes you stop.

For my father in law it was watching his mum die from lung cancer, for my mum it was almost dying from pneumonia, for me it was seeing what harm I could potentially cause my child before and after he was born.

I used to smoke anything that was passed my way (within reason) ciggy's, cigars, spliffs, blunts etc.

Now I think about how unhealthy I was and I am glad I don't do that anymore.
Old 06 February 2010, 08:54 PM
Lisawrx

Truthfully, I thought I'd manage when my Mam got cancer. I'd said to her, once she was on the mend (and the stress of all that was over) I'd try then. I did try, and failed, really miserably.

Mind you, I did have surprising support from my doctor, as he said not to beat myself up about it and just to try again when I was ready.

I think you really have to want to do it for whatever reason personal to you.

My Dad smoked for years and I never thought he would stop. One day he felt sick and just threw them away and never looked back. Never used a patch or any stop smoking stuff, just had enough.
Old 06 February 2010, 08:55 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

As most of you know my mum died from lung cancer 3 years ago and she smoked up to 60 a day. I swore on her death bed i would give up, and last year i did.

I cant bear the stench that comes off a smoker now and i can smell a whiff from miles away. It now disgusts me so much i cant understand why i smoked in the first place.

My daughter is now 9 and i dont want her to ever go near a cigarette. My grandad and my mum, different sides of the family, both died from lung cancer This makes me think that i am more likely to get the same disease, especially if i smoke.

A few weeks ago i was chatting up a bloke in a pub, all was well until he went outside to smoke, that was the end of that little romance
Old 06 February 2010, 09:01 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Dont think it will die out, At a rough guess I reckon 35% - of the people I work with smoke, and mixed age groups 19 - 40ish - it would be more but two of them are heavily pregnant / just had a kid so have given up. Fairly sure both of them will take back it back up after a time - sad but true.
Lol at the council house habit

But didnt not realise that the revenue from ciggies is falling, Interesting that

Richard
Old 06 February 2010, 09:20 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Interesting quote:-

In 2005, 24 per cent of adults aged 16 or over in Great Britain smoked cigarettes, indicating a slight fall in the prevalence of smoking among both men and women since the late 1990s.

The proportion of adults who smoked cigarettes fell substantially in the 1970s and the early 1980s – from 45 per cent in 1974 to 35 per cent in 1982. After 1982 it declined gradually until the early 1990s, levelling out during the 1990s. It then fell smoothly from 28 per cent in 1998/99 to 24 per cent in 2005.

In July 2004 the Government set a new target to reduce the overall proportion of cigarette smokers in England from 28 per cent in 1996 to 21 per cent or fewer by 2010 – with a reduction from 32 to 26 per cent or less among manual occupation groups. In England in 2005, 29 per cent of those in manual occupational groups were cigarette smokers, compared with 33 per cent in 1998. Together with the fall in overall prevalence, this indicates some progress towards targets.

While men are still more likely than women to smoke cigarettes, the gap has narrowed. In 1974, 51 per cent of men and 41 per cent of women smoked. In 2005, 25 per cent of men and 23 per cent of women were cigarette smokers.

Cigarette smoking continues to be more common among adults aged 20 to 34 than among other age groups. In 2005, 32 per cent of adults aged 20 to 24 and 31 per cent of adults aged 25 to 34 were smokers compared with 14 per cent of those aged 60 and over.

The proportion of men who were heavy smokers (on average 20 or more cigarettes a day) fell from 14 per cent in 1990 to 10 per cent in 1998. Among women, the proportion fell from 9 per cent to 7 per cent over the same period. Since then the proportions have remained virtually unchanged, although there is a suggestion of a slight downturn in the last couple of years. The proportion of adults smoking fewer than 20 cigarettes a day has been around 17 to 19 per cent of both men and women since 1998.

In 2005 just over two thirds (68 per cent) of cigarette smokers in Great Britain said that they wanted to give up, but 56 per cent said it would be difficult to go without smoking for a whole day. Overall, 16 per cent of smokers said they had their first cigarette of the day within five minutes of waking up: this varied according to how much respondents smoked, ranging from only 2 per cent of those who smoked fewer than 10 a day to 33 per cent of those who smoked 20 or more cigarettes a day.
Old 06 February 2010, 09:23 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
Council house habit.
Interesting comment, not sure that it is entirely a social class factor.

From my involvement with the criminal law ( as a professional witness ) I note that large numbers of barristers did and continue to smoke. I guess that this is due to the narcotising ( calming ) effect of tobacco which those in highly stressful environments seek?
Old 06 February 2010, 09:28 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

My dad smokes, he doesn't live or ever has lived in a council house, he's far from dumb, he just likes it.

He says it's 'his thing'. he doesn't drink, or do anything socially.

It's not always down to social factors and IQ, but that will play a part sometimes.
Old 06 February 2010, 09:36 PM
steffi4
Scooby Regular

i hate it adnd hate that i do it! i gave up thruhout bth my pergnancies bu went back a couple a weeks after giving birth. dnt know why just fancied a cigarette. i think the council house comment is stupid. it dosnt matter if your penniless or a millionaire. but i think by the counil house comment you mean boredom? at work i smoked lessbut off work (due to baby) i smoke more in the times when all kids are amused and cleaning etc i done. pretty much when theres nothing else to do. i have tried the patches, gum, inhaler and new medical tablet(they are good). the only thing that was 100% effective was pregnancy....so only hope for me is eternal child birth haha
Old 06 February 2010, 09:37 PM
steffi4
Scooby Regular

by the way my keyboard is dying. excuse the spelling due to low batteries haha. damn wireless crap
Old 06 February 2010, 09:39 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steffi4
so only hope for me is eternal child birth haha
I am sure not going to try that one!
Old 06 February 2010, 09:46 PM
steffi4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
I am sure not going to try that one!

you never know
Old 06 February 2010, 10:07 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
To help me gather statistics, are you poor, and do you live in a council house?

Quick Reply: Smoking ?