Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone here taken a year or two 'out'?

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2010, 11:18 AM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone here taken a year or two 'out'?

Not as a student, but as an 'adult' having been in full-time employment for many years.
I'm now in the position that a year or two, maybe more, out of paid employment is, or seems to be, an attractive option.
Has anyone else done so, or thought about it?

Please discuss pro's and con's and any experience you may have.

Thanks.
Old 06 February 2010, 11:27 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've thought about it ...... and if I can get my redundancy package I shall take the rest of my life out!!

The main problem is that it would be difficult to come back into work afterwards .... unless you re-entered the workplace as a Teacher or Lecturer, then you wouldn't really notice the difference

Joking aside, if you have the funds and the desire then do it ..... do it before you are responsible for others too!
Old 06 February 2010, 11:35 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah I'm doing it now.

But I am 64 . Spent last year in Thailand , Singapore and Oz. But want to get back to work .
I am sick of laying around , getting up late etc etc.
I mean it.
I am not ready to hang my boots up .
If you are even considering " throwing in the towel" DON'T
Old 06 February 2010, 11:40 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I took a time out for my 40th birthday, at 12 months I was glad to take on at least part time employment any more and I'd have gone insane. I have no regrets, after removing the corporate handcuffs all I miss is the regular huge amounts of cash and that's not all that important. If you have a good buffer of cash, go for it.
Old 06 February 2010, 11:40 AM
Big Pete
Scooby Regular

I took voluntary redundancy back in 2001.

We moved house and had our daughter around the same time

LOADS of people were saying I'd made a mistake and I'd regret it etc

Quite the opposite. I took 6 months out to spend wi Mrs Big Pete & our brand new daughter in our new house. It was just brilliant

Got a job with no trouble at all when I decided to go back to work.

I'd say that if you have a chance (for whatever the reason) to take time out, do it & enjoy
Old 06 February 2010, 11:42 AM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
I've thought about it ...... and if I can get my redundancy package I shall take the rest of my life out!!

The main problem is that it would be difficult to come back into work afterwards .... unless you re-entered the workplace as a Teacher or Lecturer, then you wouldn't really notice the difference

Joking aside, if you have the funds and the desire then do it ..... do it before you are responsible for others too!
Hi SSU,
Been through the 'responsible for others' and am now 'not responsible for others'
I'd really like to 'kick-back' and enjoy a period without the pressure (not that I've disliked the working environment).

I've worked full time since leaving full time education. Just seems the right time but....Still need the push (or not)
Funds are not an issue.
Old 06 February 2010, 11:45 AM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobJenks
Yeah I'm doing it now.

But I am 64 . Spent last year in Thailand , Singapore and Oz. But want to get back to work .
I am sick of laying around , getting up late etc etc.
I mean it.
I am not ready to hang my boots up .
If you are even considering " throwing in the towel" DON'T
Hi Rob,
Have you tried getting back to work?

Thanks.
Old 06 February 2010, 11:47 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

In that case ..... go for it!!
Old 06 February 2010, 11:48 AM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big Pete
I took voluntary redundancy back in 2001.

We moved house and had our daughter around the same time

LOADS of people were saying I'd made a mistake and I'd regret it etc

Quite the opposite. I took 6 months out to spend wi Mrs Big Pete & our brand new daughter in our new house. It was just brilliant

Got a job with no trouble at all when I decided to go back to work.

I'd say that if you have a chance (for whatever the reason) to take time out, do it & enjoy
Hi Big Pete,
Sounds great

Did you always intend to go back to work?
Old 06 February 2010, 11:52 AM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
I took a time out for my 40th birthday, at 12 months I was glad to take on at least part time employment any more and I'd have gone insane. I have no regrets, after removing the corporate handcuffs all I miss is the regular huge amounts of cash and that's not all that important. If you have a good buffer of cash, go for it.
Thanks JC
Old 06 February 2010, 12:03 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Looking at Jack's constant stream of photos from around the world on Facebook I'd say yes, go for it
Old 06 February 2010, 12:12 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

I took a year out after serving an apprenticeship in Aircraft industry .One year after finishing my apprenticeship I got bored with the job ,even though it was pretty well paid at the time .

Wife was working in Army at the time in the Outer Hebrides so instead of travelling up Every Weekend ,I upped sticks ,loaded the XR3I with all my possesions and off I went .

Came back after just over a year and got a job ,where Ive been for the last 18/19 years .
Must say I am looking at just cashing in and going living a simpler life somewhere warmer .Without all the chasing things in life .Kids are still in school for another 6 years or so but seriously looking to buy somewhere abroad and spending more time there with a view to living there some time soon .

I would say go and do it .Your only here once .If you get bored ,worry about what to do then .You dont know what opportunities await you .
Good Luck .
Old 06 February 2010, 12:44 PM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by coolangatta
Hi Rob,
Have you tried getting back to work?

Thanks.
Yes mate I have , but so far no luck.
But to be honest maybe its time to move off the ladder and let new blood come through.
Old 06 February 2010, 12:47 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
Looking at Jack's constant stream of photos from around the world on Facebook I'd say yes, go for it
Old 06 February 2010, 01:05 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

I'm now looking to get back to work after 6 and a half years out

I got a few quid taking voluntary redundancy and the profit from the house after paying off mortgage went to france, bought, lived in and renovated then sold just 3 houses in 5 years (took my time)
now back in blighty and am doing a house up but need to get out now, me and mrs together 24/7 isn't easy so now looking for a job more because i'm skint now

I used to work shifts (12 hour nights / days) and do miss the job but don't miss the hours

there is more to life than working all the hours to pay for cars and mortgages and hating who you work with

you need a Plan A, B & C
dont waste your money living off your savings unless they will get put back in at some point
Old 06 February 2010, 01:10 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
Hi Ms Chick,
How are you?

I'd go for it if I had you at my side

Love H.
Old 06 February 2010, 01:13 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njkmrs
I took a year out after serving an apprenticeship in Aircraft industry .One year after finishing my apprenticeship I got bored with the job ,even though it was pretty well paid at the time .

Wife was working in Army at the time in the Outer Hebrides so instead of travelling up Every Weekend ,I upped sticks ,loaded the XR3I with all my possesions and off I went .

Came back after just over a year and got a job ,where Ive been for the last 18/19 years .
Must say I am looking at just cashing in and going living a simpler life somewhere warmer .Without all the chasing things in life .Kids are still in school for another 6 years or so but seriously looking to buy somewhere abroad and spending more time there with a view to living there some time soon .

I would say go and do it .Your only here once .If you get bored ,worry about what to do then .You dont know what opportunities await you .
Good Luck .
Thanks.
Old 06 February 2010, 01:25 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LeeMac
I'm now looking to get back to work after 6 and a half years out

I got a few quid taking voluntary redundancy and the profit from the house after paying off mortgage went to france, bought, lived in and renovated then sold just 3 houses in 5 years (took my time)
now back in blighty and am doing a house up but need to get out now, me and mrs together 24/7 isn't easy so now looking for a job more because i'm skint now

I used to work shifts (12 hour nights / days) and do miss the job but don't miss the hours

there is more to life than working all the hours to pay for cars and mortgages and hating who you work with

you need a Plan A, B & C
dont waste your money living off your savings unless they will get put back in at some point
Hi LeeMac,
Thanks.
My plan is pretty much non existent at this time. That's why I asked for advice.
Nights are the ***** are they not?

Last edited by coolangatta; 06 February 2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06 February 2010, 03:04 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coolangatta
Hi Ms Chick,
How are you?

I'd go for it if I had you at my side

Love H.
Just give me time to pack...
Old 06 February 2010, 08:52 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it requires nerve and comiittment to take time out - after alll youve got to come home and start again if your an average person and /or not some one who can merely 'take a sabatical' ., essentailly impossible if your a family person

Mate ( term loosley) took about 18 months off and sailed his yacht to thailand and back - hed got some kind of payoff/shares /sold company or something . Got back and tried a few interviews in his field networking/computing whatever , but the game had moved on and came away with panic attacks from the strees of it all . So he set up a co. making blinds for houses ( with Chinese help) and afaik is doing well , new Princess power boat etc.
Old 06 February 2010, 09:02 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

When my daughter turned 12 months I was due to go back to work. I had missed out on my son growing up as I was back at work when he was 6 months old.

As they were so close in age (a mere 17 months) I decided to give up my job and be a stay at home mum. As much as I love it, and I enjoy being the sole carer of my children, I do feel as though I am on the shelf somewhat.

I am now thinking of how to move forward as my son starts full time school in Sep and my daughter will start school in the am.
That will be my 3 hours a day where I find a way back to work.

I wish I has stayed part time, but the cost of two lots of childcare was just mad, I simply couldn't justify it.

I think that if you are going to take leave from employment it is important to find something that can stop you from going stale, otherwise, when you want or need to get back to work it will look and feel very daunting.

It's odd to think how the workplace has changed in the short time I have been out of work, that said, I am still desperate to get back in the real world, and stop being just 'mummy' and start being 'Kathryn' again.

Last edited by Hysteria1983; 06 February 2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06 February 2010, 09:32 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

I don't know if you consider this relevant, but i am in full time education, and have never had time out. Well Ive had a small gap but thats because of my adolescent attitude which needed getting over lol. But i have been in full time education full stop since primary school (21 now) and I'm now at university. I plan to either take a break after uni, or after about 5 years worth of employment.

A few friends and I were discussing this the other day. We are going to use it as a break from 'being young and careless' to 'growing up and beginning to settle down' so any madness left in us will be exploited when we go away. We also plan to do something of achievement, like charity work or climb Kilimanjaro, just so we never have that break down later in life thinking we haven't achieved anything .

My advice as being younger and wiser( lol) is do it. If you don't enjoy it then you can use the money that would be spent on time out, as money to keep you going till you get a new job. You'll never know till you've tried.

Good luck with whatever your decision
Old 06 February 2010, 10:09 PM
GT Scooby blue
Scooby Regular

I took a few years out from about 17 to 24.
I mainly blamed Pierre Sminoff, H.T.Tennent, and a little help from the monks at Buckfast Abbey.
Old 07 February 2010, 10:31 PM
Bealescooby
Scooby Regular

I took a 15mths out when i was 21 worked since i was 12
This wasn't because i wanted to just got peed off with a chap at work 1 bad day @ work and temper got the better of me ended in instant dismissal , luckily for me i just took out 2 credit cards £2k on each and a £5k loan ( took for a car ) i took the extra protection out on these and it come into use spent £9k and never had to pay a penny back I would never advise this just think about it though ...................

I was thinking of havin a yr out now and with the company i work they can offer me an 18mth career break , basiclly my job is still there when i come back
Old 07 February 2010, 10:36 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bealescooby
I took a 15mths out when i was 21 worked since i was 12
This wasn't because i wanted to just got peed off with a chap at work 1 bad day @ work and temper got the better of me ended in instant dismissal , luckily for me i just took out 2 credit cards £2k on each and a £5k loan ( took for a car ) i took the extra protection out on these and it come into use spent £9k and never had to pay a penny back I would never advise this just think about it though ...................

I was thinking of havin a yr out now and with the company i work they can offer me an 18mth career break , basiclly my job is still there when i come back
I thought payment protection insurance didn't pay out if you got fired, only if you were made redundant?

Lucky ******* though
Old 08 February 2010, 01:29 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I was lucky enough to enjoy my job too much to want to do that.

Les
Old 08 February 2010, 07:53 PM
Bealescooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
I thought payment protection insurance didn't pay out if you got fired, only if you were made redundant?

Lucky ******* though
They don't pay out if u walk out of your job , only asked for a letter of proof that i was sacked and they never bothered me again , don't know if it's changed since this was 7-8 yrs ago
Old 09 February 2010, 06:40 AM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

I had to read that title 3 times before it didn't say 'Has anyone here taken a two year old out'

Too f*cking early.

Would love to take a year out though, worked since i was 16. Can't see it happening though.
Old 09 February 2010, 08:29 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Don't do it unless you're going to keep yourself busy