Ebay payment advice

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2010, 10:31 AM
ScoobyWeb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay payment advice

Guys

I have just sold an item on ebay for £270 (not scooby related). The buyer has emailed me and said that he can't pay by paypal due to a dispute and has asked what other form of payment I will accept. He has said that he can pay by bank transfer if I prefer. He has a 55 feedback score with no negatives and has been a member since 2004. What are your thoughts on the safest way of payment i.e one which he cannot cancel after I have sent the item. Is it possible to withdraw a bank transfer after it shows in my account.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers, Chris.
Old 02 February 2010, 10:36 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Bank transfer is safer and cheaper than Paypal, I would personally welcome it.
It is more than possible Paypal have frozen his account to keep his money to get some interest on it (like they do) so I would work with him on this.
As far as I understand it, payments into accounts can only be reversed after a very short period of time, and under extreme circumstances.
If in doubt, wait for the money to show up, then contact your bank to see if they deem it an ok transaction.
Old 02 February 2010, 11:40 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Bank transfer is the best and far better than paypal as snazy says.

His dispute he has is no problem either. It just means his funds in paypal is temp unavailable and so he wants to pay by other means whilst he sorts out the gimps at paypal
Old 02 February 2010, 03:22 PM
ScoobyWeb
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, I was a bit concerned as to whether or not a transfer can be stopped after the amount is shown on the account. I will wait while it shows and then phone the bank for advice.
Old 02 February 2010, 04:16 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Bank Transfer, Cheque or Postal Orders.

Or as i have asked in the past, ask them to use a friends or familes paypal account.
Old 03 February 2010, 07:17 PM
ScoobyWeb
Scooby Regular

Well I sent the buyer my sort code and acc No. and he asked for the holders name and bank name. This made me a little suspicious so I phoned my bank for advice. They informed me that no-one can withdraw funds from my account with that info. So I gave him the info. He said he would email me when he had put the funds in but as of yet has not. Which makes me a little nervous.

*edit* I have just checked my account online and he has put the money in today. Phew

Last edited by ScoobyWeb; 03 February 2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03 February 2010, 07:55 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyWeb
Well I sent the buyer my sort code and acc No. and he asked for the holders name and bank name. This made me a little suspicious so I phoned my bank for advice. They informed me that no-one can withdraw funds from my account with that info. So I gave him the info. He said he would email me when he had put the funds in but as of yet has not. Which makes me a little nervous.

*edit* I have just checked my account online and he has put the money in today. Phew
LOL - you worry far too much
Old 03 February 2010, 09:42 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWeb
Well I sent the buyer my sort code and acc No. and he asked for the holders name and bank name. This made me a little suspicious so I phoned my bank for advice.
All the above information is clearly available on any soon to be phased out cheque you hand over to whoever.