Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How hard can it be?! ...

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2010, 05:26 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard can it be?! ...

My mobile contract is due to expire in a couple of days and having been less than impressed with my existing provider I decided to have a look around. I know the handset I want, I know loosely what tariff I want and I know the provider I'm interested in. That said, if an alternative provider can offer an appealing deal then I'm open to considering it.

Being fair about it, I gave my existing provider (vodafone direct) an opportunity to compete. Got told by the phone customer services adviser that they didn't stock the handset I wanted. Thought I'd try in the shop all the same and as expected, got told something different. Was told that the handset I wanted was limited stock and only available to business customers as it was a really good handset for business but the iphone was better for personal use. My response was polite but straight-forward enough - my contract expires in a couple of days, this is the handset I want, would you like to make a couple of calls to see what you can do since otherwise you'll be losing an existing customer to an alternative provider? The response was basically a "have a nice day sir".

Into Carphone warehouse - stood around for 10mins before getting an adviser. Explained what I wanted and got a yeah we can do that. Excellent! Wait. There's a catch .... I can't have the tariff I want. It has to be a £45 a month one on a 24 month contract. 24 months?!?! I'm pretty sure I'd have had to sign the contract with my own blood too!!!

Onto the O2 store - stood around for 10mins, made eye contact with the sales rep (very cute looking red head), then watched her walk right past me standing next to the high end phones on the top end tariffs to deal with a £15 pay as you go user. Got bored and started playing with the display stuff. Crashed the O2 joggler in under 3 minutes, the samsung laptop keyboard (missing a key) stopped working in less than 1 minute, one of the iphones froze while trying to access facebook and the other one started flashing low battery as soon as it was touched. Still no sales rep. Go next door and buy a coffee then return. Sales rep notices me return and resume position by the expensive toys. 10 minutes later, still no sales rep. Get bored and leave.

Phones4U - 2 reps in store. Both busy. One notices me and must have pushed a buzzer or something as another rep appears. They have the handset. Good start! Only available on vodafone. Not so good but ok, roll with it. Advertised at £35 per month plus handset trade in. Straight question - "Is that an 18 month or 24 month contract?" Reply - "well you get a better price on the 24 month contract" ... erm ... "ok ... but is the price you're advertising for an 18 month contract or a 24 month contract?" .... "well that's the monthly cost sir" .... "yes, I understand that but, is that the monthly price for an 18 month contract or a 24 month contract?!" ... finally realising I WILL keep asking the same question until I get an answer she gives in and says it's a 24 month one. At this point I notice that she's obviously just finished her lunch ... top tip for customer facing agents : garlic and cheese & onion are NOT good ingredients for lunch when you have to speak face to face with people. Offended by the smell and yet again the lack of what I want, I leave the store.

Orange shop - Greeted by a rep as soon as I walk in!!! Tell them the handset I want. Response is "yeah, that's a really nice handset that is." Excellent! I want that on an 18 month contract at around £35-£40 per month, what can you do? Reply - "can't do anything i'm afraid, we don't stock it."

Rather frustratedly, give up and go home.

[/rant]
Old 30 January 2010, 05:28 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

£15 o2 or £20 o2
Old 30 January 2010, 09:45 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

If you want the HD2, try Virgin. Ordered mine yesterday, it arrived 8:20am this morning