Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

About time - Blair faces Iraq Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2010, 03:25 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default About time - Blair faces Iraq Inquiry

Well he's had plenty of time to dream up some fabulous lies, lets see how he goes from 10:00 onwards, mind your sword Tony.......
Old 29 January 2010, 08:14 AM
ahar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not looking forward to it - my office is just by te QEII conference centre and the protestors are going to make a helluva noise!
Old 29 January 2010, 08:34 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I can hear the money rolling down the drain. £250k apparently to get him there and back home safely! Which of course, we the broke nation are paying.

I am however looking forward to seeing him questioned. The panel have not exactly held back over recent weeks. Also interested to see who he will implicate and blame for any obvious errors.

And best bit, im wondering which way he will swing in his opinion today. He has recently told Fern whatever her name is, and Sky news he would have found a reason to go in regardless of WMD's. So what will he tell the panel?
Old 29 January 2010, 09:07 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Snazy has hit it on the head.

All this is doing is costing the taxpayer yet more money. Huge unjustificable amounts of money it would seem. In fact we could do with an enquiry as to why these enquiries appear to line the pockets of those involved in conducting them every time.

And to cap it all NOTHING will come of this enquiry. NOTHING!

Everyone knows it was an illegal war and we do not need an enquiry to tell us especially when it costs an already broke country yet more money.
Old 29 January 2010, 09:12 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

This is a "lessons learned" money spending exercise after all.

I am interested to see who he is going to openly call liars about their evidence.
Like being adviced by Goldsmith and team that it was illegal. Will he deny this and call them ALL liars.

Will he say Jack Straw was never against the war..

Its interesting, but seriously frustrating that he is still costing us money for HIS actions.
Old 29 January 2010, 09:14 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Indeed, nothing will come of it - but, so it is said, the public wanted it.

Personally, I consider the money could be better spent on the front line in Iraq or Afganistan.

Saddam Hussien had to go, he was looking to obtain WMD - and would have succeeded at some point ..... I would rather stop him getting them than send our troops in when he HAS them!

We didn't have to make the decisions, so can sit in our ivory towers and cat call to those who did, I will not be joining in the jeers.
Old 29 January 2010, 09:44 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Squirming already under the first question.

This isnt PMQ's Tony, your cronies aint there to jeer for you now.
Answer the frickin question! lol

Already "blaming" 9/11
Old 29 January 2010, 09:54 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Well how about that.
Blair wanted to quote from a document that they believed was NOT declassified.
He very smugly said "I believe it was declassified yesterday"

Nice to see he is still able to pull strings eh.
Old 29 January 2010, 11:50 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Oops. Blair has just commented that he felt that IF there was any possibility of Saddam having WMD, he should be stopped. Which is not quite the same as HE HAS!

Im sure thats gonna come up again later lol.

Im loving the live feed from Glen Oglaza from Sky news though, he really dont like the guy and wants to see him hung out to dry. But makes his point so professionally lol. NOT!
Old 29 January 2010, 12:23 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I am sure we will see a lesson in very capable acting and skirting around the truth as ever.

In my opinion he and his conspirator should be pointed in the direction of The Hague for a trial as war criminals.

Les
Old 29 January 2010, 12:32 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
Indeed, nothing will come of it - but, so it is said, the public wanted it.

Personally, I consider the money could be better spent on the front line in Iraq or Afganistan.

Saddam Hussien had to go, he was looking to obtain WMD - and would have succeeded at some point ..... I would rather stop him getting them than send our troops in when he HAS them!

We didn't have to make the decisions, so can sit in our ivory towers and cat call to those who did, I will not be joining in the jeers.
I think that's the only thing I have ever seen you put on these forums that I would agree with
Old 29 January 2010, 01:23 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well at least weve witnessed a little nervous squirming , perhaps even some sweating

- i guess its been worth it :Whatever
Old 29 January 2010, 02:09 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol @ dpb.
Round 2 just started.
From previous sittings the harder more pressing questions come now.
However on this occasion there is very little resistance to his dodging of the questions at the moment.

Seeing him squirm, and hearing him slip up with certain facts has been pleasing. And once again the true colours of him and Brown have been shown by the sudden declassification of documents for HIS use.

It will be interesting to see what other documents are declassified when Brown takes the seat. And then if they are REclassified before they can be used in the recalling of previous witnesses.
Old 29 January 2010, 04:19 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

The really sad thing is despite all this he was still a better prime minister than Margaret Thatcher!
Old 29 January 2010, 05:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

In what way? Or just in your opinion?
Old 29 January 2010, 06:01 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
So Iran is next?
Old 29 January 2010, 06:17 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Bearing in mind what mess Maggie had to deal when she took over damage limitation, be it via unfavourable policies, it was the only way forward. Granted she lost her way towards the end of her years as PM, but thats no different to any other PM thats been in power too long (TB no exception).
Old 29 January 2010, 06:39 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

So, coincidence or convinience that 2 documents were declassified last night, just in time for Blair to quote from them? lol No brainer really eh.

Oh well, sadly as expected he dodged the questions like a hollywood ninja dodging bullets.

I think Cameron, should him and the Tories take the next election, will have the same legacy as Thatcher, very unpopular decisions, hitting the public hard, and deemed scum.

The bit that always makes me laugh is the comparisons of long serving leaders.
Could the Tories have handled the last decade any better, we will never know. Could Labour have done a better job than Thatcher, we will never know. Hindsight and second guessing is all well and good, but it changes nothing.

We are where we are now, and one thing that cant really be argued too much is... we need/want a change at the top.

Like your favourite record on repeat, eventually it gets old and boring. You might have never liked the next record to be put on, but its always a pleasent change, for a while at least.
Old 29 January 2010, 07:01 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Watched it today. Made me realise what a great Prime Minister we are missing. GB is a pale shadow compared to Mr Blair.
Old 29 January 2010, 08:48 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

The problem with much of this debate is that it's just another excuse to bash someone who you don't like anyway. Let's face if the war in Iraq had never happened you'd still be calling him silly names.

And if the enquiry doesn't support your view.....guess what? you can just call it a whitewash and carry on, this is ever so slight mad. Either get behind the enquiry and accept its outcome, or admit that you just aint ever going change your view.

The problem with this whole issue is that there's been such a MASSIVE revision of history, anyone reading these boards would believe that most people didn't think Iraq had WMD, or that sanctions were working, and therefore Saddam wasn't a threat.

Let's hope the enquiry gets to the bottom of what happens and this is set in the context of when the decisions were made. If TB lied to parliament then let's hope the enquiry say so.
Old 29 January 2010, 08:51 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d

Geez. The guy has absolutely NO principles. He believes in nothing apart from himself. He's an actor, lawyer (not sure how good) and good at public speaking. At least with Maggie you knew exactly what she stood for. Billy Liar was just there to get elected and thus enrich 'team billy liar' ...

Dave
And you know all this...how???
Old 29 January 2010, 10:18 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
Watched it today. Made me realise what a great Prime Minister we are missing. GB is a pale shadow compared to Mr Blair.
I was never a real TB fan BUT I really believe he did what he did for the good of the country. Maybe I am a bad judge of character (I am only 30) but its a very hard decision he had to make and has to live with the decision to send our troops in and the deaths of many servicemen
Why shouldn't the government and TB have the ability to make hidden documents look in there favor if the decisions are made by what is in front of them at the time.
I believe Saddam had to go and in the same situation I would justify it any way I could.
Old 29 January 2010, 11:20 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d

Geez. The guy has absolutely NO principles. He believes in nothing apart from himself. He's an actor, lawyer (not sure how good) and good at public speaking. At least with Maggie you knew exactly what she stood for. Billy Liar was just there to get elected and thus enrich 'team billy liar' ...

Dave
People knew what Hitler stood for.... that makes a person OK in your eyes does it?

Shall I tell you what Thatcher stood for - dog eat dog, greed is good, I'm alright Jack.

She sold off the country's assets to buy votes

She took us into a war she could have avoided to win votes.

She killed off whole communities over a petty argument with an equally devisive union leader

She created the greed is good dog eat dog dociety in which we now live

She created the expenses system under which most MPs ripped off the tax payer for many many years and thereby created career politicians.

She dismantled the unions but sadly by dismantling manufacturing in the UK forcing our economy to rely on the financial services sector to a much greater degree than is sensible.... I am sure I don't need to explain why that is a bad thing right now

She deliberately created an under class and encouraged a black economy creating a two tier society.

She put 4 million on the dole at a time then the world was not in recession!!!

She presided over economic mismanagement that drove house prices sky high and then led to 16% mortgage rates forcing in many families both parents out to work thereby damaging the fabric of family life .... the start of the breakdown of the social fabric of the UK that so many of you short sightedly blame Labour for....

Shall I go on?
Old 29 January 2010, 11:23 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by f1_fan
People knew what Hitler stood for.... that makes a person OK in your eyes does it?

Shall I tell you what Thatcher stood for - dog eat dog, greed is good, I'm alright Jack.

She sold off the country's assets to buy votes

She took us into a war she could have avoided to win votes.

She killed off whole communities over a petty argument with an equally devisive union leader

She created the greed is good dog eat dog dociety in which we now live

She created the expenses system under which most MPs ripped off the tax payer for many many years and thereby created career politicians.

She dismantled the unions but sadly by dismantling manufacturing in the UK forcing our economy to rely on the financial services sector to a much greater degree than is sensible.... I am sure I don't need to explain why that is a bad thing right now

She deliberately created an under class and encouraged a black economy creating a two tier society.

She put 4 million on the dole at a time then the world was not in recession!!!

She presided over economic mismanagement that drove house prices sky high and then led to 16% mortgage rates forcing in many families both parents out to work thereby damaging the fabric of family life .... the start of the breakdown of the social fabric of the UK that so many of you short sightedly blame Labour for....

Shall I go on?
Yeah, carry on. Labour have
Old 29 January 2010, 11:28 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
Yeah, carry on. Labour have
Not saying they haven't, it just makes me laugh that people like you that post on here think Labour are the root of all evil and seem to think everything will be OK when you vote Dave in.

Newsflash .. it won't !!
Old 30 January 2010, 12:05 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Not saying they haven't, it just makes me laugh that people like you that post on here think Labour are the root of all evil and seem to think everything will be OK when you vote Dave in.

Newsflash .. it won't !!
What do you know about me, to make that statement
I have no faith in Labour, who have proved themselves to be the all taxing, law making, money making, benefit thieving (I know it's not benefits, but MPs taking tax payers money should be)vand going to war (for what) government we have ever had.
How you can defend them is beyond me. They are useless and Blair was the biggest slimeball of the lot. Brown is an unwanted, unelected waste of space.
So where do we go from here
Old 30 January 2010, 12:09 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Though he squirmed a little, trying to pin him down for straight answers was like trying to nail jelly to a wall.....as ever, the consummate politician.......
Old 30 January 2010, 12:15 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
How you can defend them is beyond me.
It's beyond you because you fail to realise that you can attack one party without supporting the other.

Where in my posts am I defending the Labour party????

Quick Reply: About time - Blair faces Iraq Inquiry