Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Halifax - Standing orders

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2010, 04:01 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halifax - Standing orders

The wife and I both have our separate accounts as well as our joint current account, which we a pay a set amount into each month for joint bills.
Wife gets paid on the 25th of each month which is the date that she has specified for the standing order to come out of her current account and into the joint. She checked her account yesterday (24th) to find that the money had already been transferred! I said to her not to worry as she will only be overdrawn for 12 hours or so, but can banks legally do this?
I.E. move money between accounts before the date that you have specified?
Old 25 January 2010, 04:06 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Yes, had this as well with LTSB - it is them being lazy and transferring it to suit them, not you. kick up about it and you will get the charges refunded from Halifax and ask for a written apology to supply to the company they bounced the S/O on to save you credit rating.

The idea of a standing order is that it keeps you in charge, read the small print it should state that the s/o can only be paid on the date specified.
Old 25 January 2010, 09:16 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Errr, you could just have one joint account ?
Old 25 January 2010, 09:58 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

Halifax are a bunch of tossers, was with them for 16 years, had a lot of grief from them during last year and now bank with HSBC. wouldnt recommend them to anyone, a law unto themselves, or so they think!.
Old 25 January 2010, 10:48 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gordo
Errr, you could just have one joint account ?
Errr, it works perfectly fine the way it is. Far too many relationships fail over money issues!

It wasn't really a problem in my eyes, as it was just moved early between internal accounts. My point is if they weren't, what comeback would we have? Surely it would be illegal?
Old 26 January 2010, 12:34 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Dave1980
Halifax are a bunch of tossers, was with them for 16 years, had a lot of grief from them during last year and now bank with HSBC. wouldnt recommend them to anyone, a law unto themselves, or so they think!.
HSBC are dire. I don't think I have spoke to one Brit yet. I hate having to speak about my finances to someone I can't understand. Sorry

Halifax are worse. My Son had no end of problems with them with his Student Loan. He has gone with Nat West now and they seem good. I may move to them myself.

As for the OP, sorry I went off on a tangent I always thought S/Os were supposed to go out on the designated day. If they charge you, you would be able to get it back as it was their fault