Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Locked Iphone?

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2010, 09:49 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked Iphone?

Someone has offered me an iphone cheap, now the catch is its locked as i presume its been stolen/lost etc. They say it still works as a ipod and can go on the net, although i don't know this to be true. My question is can they be unlocked to be used as a phone again?

Aaron
Old 17 January 2010, 10:01 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

If your gonna unlock it use blackra1n, its unlocks a phone in one go in under a minute .
Old 17 January 2010, 10:15 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
If your gonna unlock it use blackra1n, its unlocks a phone in one go in under a minute .
what the hell is that would i able to do it?
Old 17 January 2010, 10:19 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

So - You suspect it may be stolen goods yet you are still considering going through with it?

You Sir, are Scum.
Old 17 January 2010, 10:20 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

any idiot can do it, google blackra1n. download and run 1 minute later its done
Old 17 January 2010, 10:25 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
So - You suspect it may be stolen goods yet you are still considering going through with it?

You Sir, are Scum.
no i know nothing about it, it could be locked for a number of reasons which i don't know about.

So watch your mouth you bellend

all well and good getting clever on the internet.

Aaron
Old 17 January 2010, 10:27 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I thought Blackra1n will only jailbreak the phone, not unlock it?

Trending Topics

Old 17 January 2010, 10:32 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

just to add i've text the guy and he said it's been 'bricked' whatever the hell that means. can it be still unlocked if this is the case?

Aaron
Old 17 January 2010, 10:39 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
I thought Blackra1n will only jailbreak the phone, not unlock it?
It ulocks it as well and I think it will also activate the phone? I'm using an iphone on tmobile due to blackra1n
Old 17 January 2010, 10:41 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Unlock = remove network lock to allow any network provider SIM
Unblock = remove IMEI block. Phones are blocked/barred as a result of being stolen, lost, unpaid contract.

It is illegal to attempt to unblock a mobile phone which has been blacklisted, blocked or barred as is changing your IMEI.

It is also an offence to be in the possession of any software or devices which could enable the user to interfere with or change a mobile phones IMEI/Serial number. Anyone attempting to interfere with or change the IMEI/Serial number of a mobile phone will face up to five years imprisonment, or a large fine, or maybe both! The only reason an IMEI/Serial number would be changed in this manner would be to conceal the original identity of the mobile phone. The only reason someone would wish to conceal the original identity of a mobile phone is if the mobile phone is stolen!

Mobile Telephones (Re-programming) Act 2002 (c. 31)
Old 17 January 2010, 10:48 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by azz250478
Someone has offered me an iphone cheap, now the catch is its locked as i presume its been stolen/lost etc. They say it still works as a ipod and can go on the net, although i don't know this to be true. My question is can they be unlocked to be used as a phone again?

Aaron
Please excuse my confusion - I must have misread your original post - you knobber
Old 17 January 2010, 10:49 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
Unlock = remove network lock to allow any network provider SIM
Unblock = remove IMEI block. Phones are blocked/barred as a result of being stolen, lost, unpaid contract.

It is illegal to attempt to unblock a mobile phone which has been blacklisted, blocked or barred as is changing your IMEI.

It is also an offence to be in the possession of any software or devices which could enable the user to interfere with or change a mobile phones IMEI/Serial number. Anyone attempting to interfere with or change the IMEI/Serial number of a mobile phone will face up to five years imprisonment, or a large fine, or maybe both! The only reason an IMEI/Serial number would be changed in this manner would be to conceal the original identity of the mobile phone. The only reason someone would wish to conceal the original identity of a mobile phone is if the mobile phone is stolen!

Mobile Telephones (Re-programming) Act 2002 (c. 31)
Thanks for that, though it still does not answer my question about being 'bricked'
Old 17 January 2010, 10:51 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

I assume by bricked he means 'blocked' due to it being stolen.

My advice....don't touch it!!

Old 17 January 2010, 10:52 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

You never said blocked you said locked! You will need to sell it to someone internationally as it won't work in this country
Old 17 January 2010, 10:53 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
Please excuse my confusion - I must have misread your original post - you knobber
stolen/lost ETC as in i didn't know until i spoke to the guy, which is why i asked on here to find out what a locked iphone means.

Grow up you plank
Old 17 January 2010, 10:56 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

He used it for 3 months then it just stopped reconising his sim, bought off ebay from a 'trusted seller'
Old 17 January 2010, 11:02 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

He used it for 3 months then it just stopped reconising his sim, bought off ebay from a 'trusted seller'
Sounds to me like it was originally stolen and then put on eBay. Then the IMEI (sp?) has been blocked by whatever network it's been used on, hence why it suddenly stopped working.

Personally I wouldn't touch it as it could well have been stolen in the first place.

Blackra1n itself does not unlock the phone, it simply jailbreaks it, however, once you have blackra1n on the phone you can use blacksn0w to unlock it by going into the blackra1n app and using the option to unlock it there.

Last edited by Markus; 17 January 2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 17 January 2010, 11:02 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

So if you could find a way of fixing it then why wouldn't your 'friend'!

If it is 'bricked' then it wouldn't work as an iPod or connect to the net either.

If it does work as an iPod/network device and then stopped working then it could be due to a firmware upgrade that the removed a previous unlock. They do that!

Or it could be blocked.

Anyway - glad to see we have members who are at least open about considering buying possibly stolen goods; and then asking for help to perpetrate the crime!
Old 17 January 2010, 11:04 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Bricking of the phone can happen for a number of reasons.... With the Iphone the main reasons for Bricking are :

Stolen phone been blocked on IMEI number
Iphones have been known to brick themselves with early methods of jailbreaking and unlocking.

Blackrain will unlock the phone to any network as well as jailbreak it BUT unlocking will not make it work again if it is blocked at the IMEI level.

It might be that he isn;t technical at all, the sim just needs reseating, worth a punt
Old 17 January 2010, 11:19 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

I've no idea why its Locked which is why i've asked on here, it still works as an ipod so i would think its not been stolen but i know nothing about iphones so posted on here. £25 for it was a good enough reason to ask questions on here i thought, i don't want an ipod so wondered if it can be used again. It was using an orange sim before it stopped working, but i would need it to work on Vodafone.

And if i was in the habbit of buying stolen goods do you think i'd post up on here
Old 17 January 2010, 11:49 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

I don't think anyone is emplying you buy hookie goods on a daily basis, people were just pointing out one of the main reasons for a phone suddenly becoming Blocked!!!

People on here will have no idea why it is blocked, they can only offer advice as there are so many reasons for it to block.

If an Iphone has been reported as stolen and the IMEI number is blocked then the Ipod section of it will still work, carriers can only block the phone from registering on a network, they can't stop it's entire functionality (there are other apps for that )
Old 18 January 2010, 12:11 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Aaron
Aaron - sorry for being presumptious but when I read your first sentence it seems to imply to 'me' that you are considering buying a phone who know may be stolen.

Anyway - if it still works as an iPod then it isn't bricked. It sounds like it is blocked, or if it was unlocked to work with Orange then it may be the unlock has been overwritten by new firmware. Hard to say really.

As I said earlier - if the vendor thought it was kosher and could be made to work again he would get a lot more than £25.

Sounds like iPhone and fish have been in close contact!