Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Revising tips...

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2010, 02:05 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revising tips...

As some know (and some won't) I'm studying towards my NVQ 2 in Mechanical Engineering. This is both classroom based and workshop based in the first year (nexy year it's NVQ level 3 and plant based out in the REAL world LOL). Workshop stuff is going well and AFAIK I'm 2nd in the "league table" we have going for work pieces (just finished making a pipe vice from various carbon steels and brass using hand fitting techniques). Sorry blabbering on...

Anywho, the classroom stuff is split into seperate subjects and I have a physics test/exam coming up on Tuesday morning. I'll admit, some things like electrical currents and vectors/bose notation have caused me lots of problems as I've basically just not taken it in for some reason. Maybe 'cos I left School 10 years ago and some lads doing the apprenticeship left last year... I dunno, don't really care.

But what I'd like to ask the S.Net public is for some revision tips if I may. I need to achieve a good pass in the text/exam as I wish to do the advanced level in order to persue my Engineering (and not just 'skilled craftsman') ambitions. The work I'm doing now is to about GCSE standard and I'm lucky in that I have had some (free) tutoring outside of work.

So if anyone could offer me tips on how to remember things like formulae, where/when to use transposition in forumlae or any general tips for not forgetting stuff, I would be chuffed to bits. My tutor has offered me one VERY good bit of advice - to write things down (almost like a punishment of lines in School) in order to drum them in.

So, I hand it over to you guys who may/may not be in similar situations.

Andy
Old 17 January 2010, 02:59 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Hi CoB,

Horses for courses really. the important thing is to make time to revise and stick to it, not get distracted or waylaid. If you plan to revise each evening for 2 hours then do just that. Ok to take breaks but get back to revising. Phone off! SN off!!!

Good luck with the revising and the exams
Old 17 January 2010, 03:07 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Hi CoB,

Horses for courses really. the important thing is to make time to revise and stick to it, not get distracted or waylaid. If you plan to revise each evening for 2 hours then do just that. Ok to take breaks but get back to revising. Phone off! SN off!!!

Good luck with the revising and the exams
Thats the plan. Maybe 3-4 hours this afternoon as she's at her 'rents and I'm just in the living room with music on in the background writing things, covering them up and then trying to recite them on another page. Just came in to check if anyone had replied and make a coffee (oh and take Topgear mag into the loo for reading material ).

Remember folks, Force = Mass x Acceleration and is measured in Newtons If only it were all that easy.
Old 17 January 2010, 03:08 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Are there past exam papers available at all? I find that after reading through the notes etc, the best way to learn is to do question after question until it almost becomes second nature.
Old 17 January 2010, 03:09 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

What sort of formulas do you have to remember btw? Im second year on a Mech Eng degree so if you throw up the formulas you are having bother remembering then I may be able to say how I remember them normally?
Old 17 January 2010, 03:39 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scubbay
What sort of formulas do you have to remember btw? Im second year on a Mech Eng degree so if you throw up the formulas you are having bother remembering then I may be able to say how I remember them normally?
Top of my head,

Weight = mass x gravity (9.81 m/s)
Force = mass x acceleration
Density = mass/volume
Relative density = (density of material) / (density of water)
Pressure = force/area
Pressure at a depth = P x gravity x height
Stress force/area

Thats what I've been memorising just now.

Currently working on moments and vectors/bose notation which I'm gonna ask for tutor time tomorrow. Will see what other formulae I need to know later.
Old 17 January 2010, 03:44 PM
mikef04
Scooby Regular

i made up little rhymes etc... Wd=FxD is we don't **** dogs etc etc.

Trending Topics

Old 17 January 2010, 04:01 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

I used to use these for the likes of density formula

Use the triangle as an aid, d=m/v, m = d x v, v = m/d if you see what I mean. Similar can be done for w=mg and also f=ma as well as p=fa and s=f/a, in fact any linear formula with only three terms, just place the letters correctly.. Therefore just draw the triangles and you dont have to remember any of those formulas and you can rearrange them easily.

Relative density ( I call it specific gravity) is just a remembering exericise tbh, just use common sense in terms of if you know something floats then its relative density has to be less than 1 and if it sinks more than 1.

Pressure = density x gh again is just one to be learnt, just remember that pressure increases as you get further under water to ensure that you get it the right way around.

If you need any formulas clarified or anything then give me a shout

Last edited by scubbay; 17 January 2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 17 January 2010, 04:22 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, I'm taking a break so I don't bore myself to death.

Just working through coefficients now. Force friction = u (mew) x mass x gravity yadda yadda. Just redone some old homework questions to drum the formula in my head. The triangles work well with me for transposing purposes, as I have a tendancy to "brain fart" and not multiply or divide the right way round. Think it's more a confidence thing, then it becomes second nature.

Gonna have a crack at electricity and linear expansion in a while.
Old 17 January 2010, 04:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Think it's more a confidence thing, then it becomes second nature.
Nope, it's use them, use them, reuse them, quote them, repeat them until it becomes second nature, like forming number bonds for tables.

There are NO easy options here. Learn them properly, you'll have them forever...and since you'll be USING them, isn't that the way to be?

Don't reply, get back to revision

Oh, and bring round all the pages you wrote them on next week so I can see how much you really want this
Old 17 January 2010, 04:29 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Post it note are your best friend in situations such as these! write your formulas down on tons and post them about the house-kitchen cupboards, in the toilet, bedroom etc. Then wherever you are they are there. Along with your normal revision, it helps things to stick in the mind.
Old 17 January 2010, 04:31 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Nope, it's use them, use them, reuse them, quote them, repeat them until it becomes second nature, like forming number bonds for tables.

There are NO easy options here. Learn them properly, you'll have them forever...and since you'll be USING them, isn't that the way to be?

Don't reply, get back to revision

Oh, and bring round all the pages you wrote them on next week so I can see how much you really want this
Tomorrow night if I can please?
Old 17 January 2010, 04:38 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I think what you're asking is 'how' rather than the actual formulas themselves, there are many methods, my personal favourites are:

1. Mind maps - links all your revision together in a way that you can recall certain aspects as if following a street map in your mind to get to the answer instead of a destination.
2. Cramming cards - write a question on one side and the answer on the back, go over and over them till you can get them right. It's similar to how we all learnt the highway code!
3. The last one is where you create a story to remember a complicated list or process, can't remember what it's called (should've made a mind map about it ) but it uses sounds, pictures and senses to create a story around the subject and as such its easy to recall the data.

Have a google on them if you think they may help.

Cheers, DCI
Old 17 January 2010, 04:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

18.30...........on the dot.
Old 17 January 2010, 04:40 PM
corvid
Scooby Regular

The best way to remember formulae is to use them; from here on their use should become second nature.

Another way to remember information - as your lecturer has instructed - is to write it out constantly until you can remember it. Often a very tedious and I'm afraid sole destroying technique but it has never failed me.

Trouble with vectors? Practice makes perfect. Simple case of using good old Pythagorous to find the unknown components of the resultant force and given angle; remember when dealing with a system in equilibrium summation of all forces in the x and y direction equals zero, as do moments about a point. All the best with this.

Last edited by corvid; 17 January 2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 17 January 2010, 04:45 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Do you have accesss to past examination papers? Going through these would help you to remember plus it will get you used to the questions you may get.

Thats what i do.

IMO though it sounds like you are doing great and have the determination you need so well done mate :thimb:
Old 17 January 2010, 04:50 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

The red cow flies tonight
Old 17 January 2010, 05:06 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

No problem. I'll be there, if not early.

Originally Posted by corvid
The best way to remember formulae is to use them; from here on their use should become second nature.

Another way to remember information - as your lecturer has instructed - is to write it out constantly until you can remember it. Often a very tedious and I'm afraid sole destroying technique but it has never failed me.

Trouble with vectors? Practice makes perfect. Simple case of using good old Pythagorous to find the unknown components of the resultant force and given angle; remember when dealing with a system in equilibrium summation of all forces in the x and y direction equals zero, as do moments about a point. All the best with this.
I have to show I can use bose notations to do the vectors. It's part of the syllabus otherwise I would use pythagorous. It's to show we can use the methods for some inane reason.

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
Do you have accesss to past examination papers? Going through these would help you to remember plus it will get you used to the questions you may get.

Thats what i do.

IMO though it sounds like you are doing great and have the determination you need so well done mate :thimb:
I don't have past papers, but I'm re-reading homework and lesson notes, redoing some questions and specifiying the working out.

DCI, I think I use something like you suggested but I can't remember what I called it.

The strange thing about this paper is I could get all the final answers wrong but still achieve 60% and thus pass it. I get marks for using the correct formula, showing my working out and getting the correct answer. So I could brain fart and make a schoolboy error in each of the 8 questions, but still pass. Sure someone will elaborate why this is, but my understanding is so you don't simply write a one word answer and not show you understand it.

Neh, back to revision
Old 17 January 2010, 05:21 PM
corvid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
I have to show I can use bose notations to do the vectors. It's part of the syllabus otherwise I would use pythagorous. It's to show we can use the methods for some inane reason.
Could you kindly give me an example bose notation? Never heard of it.
Old 17 January 2010, 05:37 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corvid
Could you kindly give me an example bose notation? Never heard of it.
It's hard to explain when you don't understand it 100% yourself.

It's basically like a drawing of the forces on beams/struts you're trying to work out. It uses a set of capital letters to distinguish the spaces in the diagram, and then you use these capitals to name the lines on your drawing. Then once the drawing is completed in a set scale, you simply measure them to find the answers out in Newtons.

Hard to explain.
Old 17 January 2010, 05:54 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I can give you a temporary ban to keep you off scoobynet so you can get your head down - just say the word
Old 17 January 2010, 06:11 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

right i aint read through every reply but if you remember im in my last year of this course now and i work for JLR the same company sort of as you COB, im 34 and when i started i had been 'out' of the learning thing for 14 years so i really struggled the first year. i passes it all in the end though and got mostly distinctions because of the extra work i put in.

Go out and get books from WHsmiths on GCSE for idiots, i know it sounds harsh but thats what i got and it explained it all more simpler, also when your in class make loads and i mean loads of notes, when working through a question make notes of what your doing and how your doing it, this will help in your revision, also dont revise for to long, tiredness is terrible when revising, i found that just a quick brief overview each night of the days classes was good enough, the night before a test i revise the questions they say you should expect (all of my tutors tell us what to expect, do yours?) or re do any mock tests they have given you. Also revise right up to the class i:e work through your dinner, everything is then resh in your mind and i found this much easier.

If you want i think i have most of my 1st year assignments on computer i can forward them over and you can see if they are the same and they may help you out some, i know how hard being in a class of 16/17 year olds are as well as sometimes you find the tutor will teach to their level wheras you could be a lot further back, tell the tutor this and also some of the lads, they will all help you.

Good luck mate and if i can help pm me
Old 17 January 2010, 06:15 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

It's hard to explain when you don't understand it 100% yourself.

It's basically like a drawing of the forces on beams/struts you're trying to work out. It uses a set of capital letters to distinguish the spaces in the diagram, and then you use these capitals to name the lines on your drawing. Then once the drawing is completed in a set scale, you simply measure them to find the answers out in Newtons.

Hard to explain.

i remember these buggers, does the tutor not allow open book tests? i used to argue like mad for them, my reasoning was that they never wrote an exam off the top of their head, they did it from notebooks and textbooks. so therefore we should also be allowed to use our notes, believe it or not they used to agree in then let us use our notes
Old 17 January 2010, 06:21 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moneys
right i aint read through every reply but if you remember im in my last year of this course now and i work for JLR the same company sort of as you COB, im 34 and when i started i had been 'out' of the learning thing for 14 years so i really struggled the first year. i passes it all in the end though and got mostly distinctions because of the extra work i put in.

Go out and get books from WHsmiths on GCSE for idiots, i know it sounds harsh but thats what i got and it explained it all more simpler, also when your in class make loads and i mean loads of notes, when working through a question make notes of what your doing and how your doing it, this will help in your revision, also dont revise for to long, tiredness is terrible when revising, i found that just a quick brief overview each night of the days classes was good enough, the night before a test i revise the questions they say you should expect (all of my tutors tell us what to expect, do yours?) or re do any mock tests they have given you. Also revise right up to the class i:e work through your dinner, everything is then resh in your mind and i found this much easier.

If you want i think i have most of my 1st year assignments on computer i can forward them over and you can see if they are the same and they may help you out some, i know how hard being in a class of 16/17 year olds are as well as sometimes you find the tutor will teach to their level wheras you could be a lot further back, tell the tutor this and also some of the lads, they will all help you.

Good luck mate and if i can help pm me
To be honest, most of what you've said, I have done. the hardest part was really the refreshing of the stuff I did back in School. Having tutoring outside of work with someone who I understand and who simplifies things very well has helped for definite.

Seems us oldies tend to do things in a similar vein with regards notes and little hints/tips on rememberence.

I think this is the subject I've struggled most in (after I managed to ace a maths exam ), so hopefully the other 2 exams coming up will be easier.

If it makes any sense, the syllabus stuff I'm learning isn't straight from books. The tutor was told what he had to teach us for the subject and then went about his way, otherwise I would have bought the book he did his lessons from. Anywho, I'm off for tea and a bit more whilst my brains still active enough.
Old 17 January 2010, 06:32 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

To be honest, most of what you've said, I have done. the hardest part was really the refreshing of the stuff I did back in School. Having tutoring outside of work with someone who I understand and who simplifies things very well has helped for definite.

Seems us oldies tend to do things in a similar vein with regards notes and little hints/tips on rememberence.

I think this is the subject I've struggled most in (after I managed to ace a maths exam ), so hopefully the other 2 exams coming up will be easier.

If it makes any sense, the syllabus stuff I'm learning isn't straight from books. The tutor was told what he had to teach us for the subject and then went about his way, otherwise I would have bought the book he did his lessons from. Anywho, I'm off for tea and a bit more whilst my brains still active enough.

he will still be teaching it from a book a can gaurantee that mate, ask him for his advice on what books to get from the library, the other thing to remember though is that you can revise to much and you will forget more than your taking in, one you feel like you cant focus no more then you must stop for the night. I used to over revise and it caused me loads of problems with remembering things, you will be suprised at what you remember though once you try it.

Are there any other adults with you or is it all spotty kids who will tell you the best **** sites on the internet?
Old 17 January 2010, 06:51 PM
worley
Scooby Regular

Make sure that you know how to do a unit balance (basic check to make sure the formula and the units are correct).

Eg Density = Mass / Volume
kg/m3 = kg / m3

It's more useful as the formulae get more complex (eg calculating efficiencies etc)

Nik
Old 17 January 2010, 07:49 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moneys
he will still be teaching it from a book a can gaurantee that mate, ask him for his advice on what books to get from the library, the other thing to remember though is that you can revise to much and you will forget more than your taking in, one you feel like you cant focus no more then you must stop for the night. I used to over revise and it caused me loads of problems with remembering things, you will be suprised at what you remember though once you try it.

Are there any other adults with you or is it all spotty kids who will tell you the best **** sites on the internet?
I've just hit that stage now in all fairness. I've done quite a bit today and only have 4 subjects I'm not happy with. So that will be tomorrow nights focus. I asked what he was working from and he said there wasn't a specific book. I asked as my tutor wanted to know to save time and hassle. So thats a pisser to be honest. With the exam tuesday, not really much point going to a library, that and my tutor knows everything I need to. It may be more worth it if I am chosen to do the advanced stuff which is at A-level standard - oh goody

In my group the ages are...
and me, 25.

A couple of the lads are genuinely smart, but also pretty disruptive due to this. Quite a selfish attitude and it has been reported. I have to remind myself I can't smack a minor There are others who are probably struggling but they maybe just hope their way through the exam and aren't so much bothered about the higher stuff. They may be happy with being a skilled craftsman (which I would be aswell) but I want to take any opportunity I'm offered (damn my ambition) so I have to do well in the exams altogether, then have an interview with the training centre manager and relevant tutor and hope I'm chosen to further myself.

Originally Posted by worley
Make sure that you know how to do a unit balance (basic check to make sure the formula and the units are correct).

Eg Density = Mass / Volume
kg/m3 = kg / m3

It's more useful as the formulae get more complex (eg calculating efficiencies etc)

Nik
This is where said brain farts have occured.
Old 17 January 2010, 07:53 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

if all else fails get yourself a calculator with a cover and write the formulaes on a very small piece of paper and insert into the gap between the calc and the cover, then snealk it out in the test, your older and wiser so the tutor wont suspect a thing haha
Old 17 January 2010, 07:59 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

I've just hit that stage now in all fairness. I've done quite a bit today and only have 4 subjects I'm not happy with. So that will be tomorrow nights focus. I asked what he was working from and he said there wasn't a specific book. I asked as my tutor wanted to know to save time and hassle. So thats a pisser to be honest. With the exam tuesday, not really much point going to a library, that and my tutor knows everything I need to. It may be more worth it if I am chosen to do the advanced stuff which is at A-level standard - oh goody

In my group the ages are...
and me, 25.

A couple of the lads are genuinely smart, but also pretty disruptive due to this. Quite a selfish attitude and it has been reported. I have to remind myself I can't smack a minor There are others who are probably struggling but they maybe just hope their way through the exam and aren't so much bothered about the higher stuff. They may be happy with being a skilled craftsman (which I would be aswell) but I want to take any opportunity I'm offered (damn my ambition) so I have to do well in the exams altogether, then have an interview with the training centre manager and relevant tutor and hope I'm chosen to further myself.

This is where said brain farts have occured.
im on the advanced stuff now which is HNC, by the way do you have to do a project in the second year? sometimes called a IVA?

we had some troublesome lads in our class i used to just tell them straight, i werent there to make friends im there to learn and gain qualifications and this pays my mortgage i aint having some little **** making my life harder, they soon shut up and if they dont have a word on the side with them, dont let them dirupt the class to much or they will get worse

my tutors used to say the fact i was worried usually meant i was ok because i would put in extra work on the subjects, i used to think this was a load of crap until i went inot tests and passed them ok. Yuor certificates wont say at the end if you passed or you got a distinction so just make sure you pass and anything else is a bonus ok mate

Quick Reply: Revising tips...