Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anonymous letter from Neighbour !

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2010, 08:10 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anonymous letter from Neighbour !

We think its the ones at the back as would hope either side would speak to us but they are complaining about the Dog barking, now I know his barking is annoying, we can hear it hence why we only let him out for a set amount of time, he is now way left out to bark for hours whilst we are out and we do shout him in.

We only let him out at reasonable times and he doesnt do it every time, he is doing his guard duty, I really cannot abide a cowardly anonymous letter, what is the point ? I went round to the main suspect but funnily enough nobody answered.

Now I am going to be nice as pie and say that yes we do hear it, hence why we get him in and we will endeavour to reduce the time he is out there and bring him in the minute we hear him going off on one, however I think its my garden, its in a resedential area and people have dogs so perhaps they are being a little over critical, what are we meant to do, get rid of the Dog, keep him inside, are the kids still allowed out to play in the garden. I think part of the problem is the main suspects windows are right over the back of our garden, i.e. no space in between so if he barks there its right under their window and they dont seem to have double glazing.

They threatened us with the "Authorities", not specific about which ones but I cant see we are breaking any bylaws letting the dog out between 8am and 10pm for a few minutes at a time, people making a racket annoys me, as does the dog going on but we dont let it go on, am I being unreasonable, are they ?
Old 12 January 2010, 08:17 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't you once have a problem with the same neighbour regarding a hole in the fence and the dog getting through , i'd just set some speakers up at the end of the garden and play some whale sounds
Old 12 January 2010, 08:22 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I can kind of see this from both sides. The neighbour may not know if you're the kind of bloke who'd come round and kick off. It is a bit cowardly, though.

Also, dog barking can be one of the most annoying sounds in the world and this kind of noise going on regularly (it may well not be just your dog they can hear, but your is getting he blame) can drive a person to distraction.

It might be worth calling on all your charm to go and persuade them you're a nice guy and responsible owner without doing what you really want to do
Old 12 January 2010, 08:22 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Can you not train him and stop him from barking? My dads mate trained gun dogs and they were kept outside in kennels, when the dogs barked he had a pail of cold water at the back door and he would go out and soak the the noisey dog. They normally stopped barking within a day or two

I know its probably not the best training method but it worked for him.

Last edited by g7prs; 12 January 2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12 January 2010, 08:25 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Was going to use my charm but they didnt answer the door, it isnt a rough area so the coward approach isnt neccessary, I agree its an annoying noise and thats why we get him in when he barks, the water thing is a good idea, I dont want to annoy them but sorry we have a dog, he is young and hopefully will grow/get trained out of it.
Old 12 January 2010, 08:26 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

why has the dog got the need to bark,is it one of them annoying little jack russel things that thinks everything is out to get it ?

i have a huge American bulldog and he doesnt see the need to bark all the time whilst in the garden,so mabye find out why the dog barks in the 1st place
Old 12 January 2010, 08:29 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
They threatened us with the "Authorities", not specific about which ones but I cant see we are breaking any bylaws letting the dog out between 8am and 10pm for a few minutes at a time, people making a racket annoys me, as does the dog going on but we dont let it go on, am I being unreasonable, are they ?
It will be the Dog Worden Dept from your local council who will take up the issue.

They act on your neighbors complaint, but it is ultimately up to them to say if it is a statutory nuisance or not, if they deem it is, you could be thrown in front of a magistrate.

You will have formal complaints from them first though, so, personally if I think it is not much of a problem, would just sit tight and set up a CCTV type system on my front door, because I would want to know who it was!
Old 12 January 2010, 08:36 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Do the decent thing and get the dog trained, so he doesn't bark, there really isn't anything more annoying than listening to someone else's dog barking in the garden.

Not a dig at dogs or owners but not everyone likes them, some even dislike them, so to be made to listen to them grates a little.

Does your garden have a path next to it or anything similar? If not why is he doing guard dog duties?
Old 12 January 2010, 08:38 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I cant imagine there is a case to answer to, my Dog occassionally goes out and sometimes barks, he is sat here having been walked, will probably let him out in an hour or so for a little while so he can have a wee and then bring him when he has done his thing, if he barks he gets brought in sooner.

The Dog barks in response to anything moving, he is doing what young Dogs do, get all excited about nothing.
Old 12 January 2010, 08:39 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

surely like any type of 'noise pollution' the same laws apply, I am not sure what the specific times are, but I think it's late evening 10/11 ish where noise levels have to be below a certain level. I can't see them being able to do anything.

I can see how they might be miffed if it were constant, but if it is limited to play time and toilet times, then surely it can't be that bad?

Also, what is the dog barking at so much that it disturbs the neighbour's?
My dog used to bark a lot when she was younger, and as far as we know there was no reason for it, until we found the neighbour's lad and his mates poking sticks at her through the fence.

If you know what house it is from, just send them a polite letter saying they are welcome to come and discuss the matter over a cup of tea and see if something can be resolved. That way at least you have stayed cool, and looked as thought you are willing to see things from their perspective, rather than kick off.

If they still don't get back to you..... a steaming bag of pooh might do the trick!
Old 12 January 2010, 08:43 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I cant imagine there is a case to answer to, my Dog occassionally goes out and sometimes barks, he is sat here having been walked, will probably let him out in an hour or so for a little while so he can have a wee and then bring him when he has done his thing, if he barks he gets brought in sooner.

The Dog barks in response to anything moving, he is doing what young Dogs do, get all excited about nothing.
It does sound to me that they're either oversensitive ***** or your dog's getting the blame for another dog's barking. Maybe give them your mobile number and ask them to call you when they hear the dog barking. If he's in the house, you know it ain't yours and you can tell them to do one.
Old 12 January 2010, 08:46 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
Do the decent thing and get the dog trained, so he doesn't bark, there really isn't anything more annoying than listening to someone else's dog barking in the garden.

Not a dig at dogs or owners but not everyone likes them, some even dislike them, so to be made to listen to them grates a little.

Does your garden have a path next to it or anything similar? If not why is he doing guard dog duties?
Beleive it or not, him barking annoys us, thats why we get him in, as for a path being there, no there isnt but its still a pup, its birds, squirells, next doors Dog, leaves blowing across the lawn, Dogs are territorial, in his tiny brain he is defending his territory, I will try and stop him but I cant guarantee the Dog will never bark, owning a Dog is still legal and there are far far more inconsiderate owners than us hence why I feel aggreived, if I didnt care I would just screw it up. I think there is a reasonable amount of noise to be expected living in a resedential area, cars, dogs, cars, birds, people, tools, the weather, you will never get total silence, I just need to minimise it and keep it to reasonable times until we can stop it.
Old 12 January 2010, 08:48 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
It does sound to me that they're either oversensitive ***** or your dog's getting the blame for another dog's barking. Maybe give them your mobile number and ask them to call you when they hear the dog barking. If he's in the house, you know it ain't yours and you can tell them to do one.
I expect it is ours but we generally jump up and get him in as we were hoping to spare us and our neighbours the noise, apparently we arent quick enough !
Old 12 January 2010, 08:53 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

sounds like you're being anti-social to me - you've chosen to own a dog in a residential area so it's up to you to stop the dog pissing everyone off. buy one of those dog training high pitched noise things that are triggered by barking - little ****** will soon stop when a high pitched squeal (beyond human hearing) makes his ears rattle every time he gets excited. it will also impact on the other dogs that clearly bother you as well.
Old 12 January 2010, 08:57 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Ahh annoying noise, my pet subject, and a major part of my working life.

I've found that noise is highly subjective and depends very much on circumstances.

I'll pose a scenario for you Jacko.

You say your dog is let out between the hours of 8am and 10pm, but brought back in when he barks?

What if your "cowardly" neighbour has a small child. At night time the dog barking wakes up the baby and then the parents struggle to get it back to sleep. Sleep deprivation ensues! All of a sudden the dog barking becomes a source of major annoyance to Mum and Dad.

I'd drop a letter in a few houses close by, explain the dog is young, you're going to train him not to bark, and until then he'll be brought in if/when he does bark. Finally apologise for any perceived annoyance.

Hopefully that will be the end of the matter.
Old 12 January 2010, 08:58 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Beleive it or not, him barking annoys us, thats why we get him in, as for a path being there, no there isnt but its still a pup, its birds, squirells, next doors Dog, leaves blowing across the lawn, Dogs are territorial, in his tiny brain he is defending his territory, I will try and stop him but I cant guarantee the Dog will never bark, owning a Dog is still legal and there are far far more inconsiderate owners than us hence why I feel aggreived, if I didnt care I would just screw it up. I think there is a reasonable amount of noise to be expected living in a resedential area, cars, dogs, cars, birds, people, tools, the weather, you will never get total silence, I just need to minimise it and keep it to reasonable times until we can stop it.
It is easy to be more tolerant to your own dog barking so i can understand why it p1sses off your neighbours. Its a bit like your own kids, you learn to switch off a bit but other people are not able to. Also, your dog might bark nearer to their house than to yours.

I didn't see you mention what breed dog you have. I have two chihuahas, i didnt want them to be yappy so i used to squirt them with a water pistol when they started yapping for no reason..........silence now

What does get me really cross though is a neighbours dog, it is always barking. It goes on all day long in the summer, just the one tone, on and on and it starts mine off when they hear it

In the USA they have their dogs de-barked
Old 12 January 2010, 09:00 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

there is a dog that barks all the time in the house behind me and another one next door they drive me nuts . everytime we are in our garden or my kids play out in our garden they jump at the fence growling and barking scaring the **** out of my sons. when i speak to the owners they say they are just protecting there territory and its because they dont know us which im sorry after 6 years they f*cking well should know us by now and my garden is not there territory. i love dogs and have owned my fair share and know there is no reason why they cant be trained not to bark at everything. it is just a lot of the owners cant be ars3d. im sure you dont fall into this category and i think the person who posted it is a coward for not talking to you man to man and should have discussed a solution with you before the authorities threat. but my advice would be to look into some training for your dog even if its just to keep the peace
Old 12 January 2010, 09:08 PM
pandyman
Scooby Regular

In the USA they have their dogs de-barked [/quote]

Now that i find quite alarming!!
Designer dog surgery. I thought tail docking was quite bad in some breeds but thats beyond comprehension!
Old 12 January 2010, 09:11 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
It is easy to be more tolerant to your own dog barking so i can understand why it p1sses off your neighbours. Its a bit like your own kids, you learn to switch off a bit but other people are not able to. Also, your dog might bark nearer to their house than to yours.
+1

When it's your own dog you have control over it barking (ie you can bring it in) your neighbours are helpless to stop it which leads to frustration.
There are two opposite us that bark each night, not for very long, but long enough to annoy.
I have never complained though, we must set the neighbours teeth on edge with our exhausts
Old 12 January 2010, 09:27 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
Ahh annoying noise, my pet subject, and a major part of my working life.

You say your dog is let out between the hours of 8am and 10pm, but brought back in when he barks?

The Dog is out for a few minutes at a time, maybe three times a day not all the time between those hours, if he barks we get him in, as far as I know they dont have kids and a few neighbours also have Dogs, they are cowardly as they say they have already contacted the "Authorities" before speaking to us, what is the point of that, no right of reply before they contact the council.

Will look into ways of training him out of barking but it will ineviatbly happen until such time as we can stop it, otherwise shall we get him rehomed, put down ????
Old 12 January 2010, 09:29 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pandyman
In the USA they have their dogs de-barked
Designer dog surgery. I thought tail docking was quite bad in some breeds but thats beyond comprehension![/quote]

The quote thing has foofed up

And de-clawing is pretty acceptable, sad but true Tail wagging and barking are all forms of communication, take those away and your dog has got to be a bit more than confused.

Originally Posted by Lydia72
+1

When it's your own dog you have control over it barking (ie you can bring it in) your neighbours are helpless to stop it which leads to frustration.
There are two opposite us that bark each night, not for very long, but long enough to annoy.
I have never complained though, we must set the neighbours teeth on edge with our exhausts
It is so frustrating as you dont know how long it is going to go on for, whereas the owner will call the dog in when he has had enough.

I was told that when dogs seemingly bark for no reason they are either bored and do this as a way of getting a reaction from the owner, trying to communicate with other dogs, probably through boredom or have no idea why they do it as they did it as a pup and they then go on to do it out of habit. Either way, the 'habit' has to be broken.

I dont understand why people shut their dogs out and leave them to amuse themselves, you wouldn't do it to young children and expect them to find loads to do and not moan when they were bored.

I love the winter, silence

Last edited by sarasquares; 12 January 2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12 January 2010, 09:30 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lydia72
+1

Beleive me, it annoys me as well, so I get him in, I am not tolerant to it as I do worry about it annoying the neighbours, literally its only ever a couple of minutes, not ages.
Old 12 January 2010, 09:33 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Designer dog surgery. I thought tail docking was quite bad in some breeds but thats beyond comprehension!
The quote thing has foofed up

And de-clawing is pretty acceptable, sad but true Tail wagging and barking are all forms of communication, take those away and your dog has got to be a bit more than confused.

It is so frustrating as you dont know how long it is going to go on for, whereas the owner will call the dog in when he has had enough.

I was told that when dogs seemingly bark for no reason they are either bored and do this as a way of getting a reaction from the owner, trying to communicate with other dogs, probably through boredom or have no idea why they do it as they did it as a pup and they then go on to do it out of habit. Either way, the 'habit' has to be broken.

I dont understand why people shut their dogs out and leave them to amuse themselves, you wouldn't do it to young children and expect them to find loads to do and not moan when they were bored.

I love the winter, silence [/QUOTE]

He isn't "Shut out", he is let out to go and do his toilet activities and have a mooch round, generally the door is left open, we cant really stand there with him like a prison warder with a prisoner in the exercise yard, we have a big garden hence why we felt able to get a Dog, though for the time being he will be supervised whilst out there more closely.
Old 12 January 2010, 09:39 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

The Dog is out for a few minutes at a time, maybe three times a day not all the time between those hours, if he barks we get him in, as far as I know they dont have kids and a few neighbours also have Dogs, they are cowardly as they say they have already contacted the "Authorities" before speaking to us, what is the point of that, no right of reply before they contact the council.

Will look into ways of training him out of barking but it will ineviatbly happen until such time as we can stop it, otherwise shall we get him rehomed, put down ????
Maybe the neighbours think that you would do the decent thing and stop the dog barking without having to be told that it is a problem. Everyone has a different fuse length. They may already have had another situation similar to this and this could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

But, i would think that the 'authorities' would ask them to have a friendly word with you to try and resolve the problem before any action is taken on their behalf.

It doesnt sound like you have actively done anything to stop the dog barking other than to get him in quick once he starts. Try the water pistol method or a smack on the nose with a newspaper so he associates the bark with an unpleasant experience. An air horn is a really good way of stopping a dog but you need to see the neighbour first to explain that you are going to do this so they dont moan at that to

Spoon might be a good one to ask
Old 12 January 2010, 09:44 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

He isn't "Shut out", he is let out to go and do his toilet activities and have a mooch round, generally the door is left open, we cant really stand there with him like a prison warder with a prisoner in the exercise yard, we have a big garden hence why we felt able to get a Dog, though for the time being he will be supervised whilst out there more closely.
I didnt mean your dog was shut out, i meant my neighbours dog, sorry about that.

You could have acres of garden but your dog may choose to only use one bit of it to bark in and i bet it is the bit nearest your neighbour. If your dog cant see though the fence that may also cause him to bark as he prolly wants to know what is on the other side, barking is his way of communicating. You have to think dog
Old 12 January 2010, 09:46 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

It doesn't actually take away the dogs bark, just reduces the 'loudness' of it.
Old 12 January 2010, 09:49 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

aahhhh, the good old anonymous letter, flaming cowards.

Some dogs bark, some dogs don't. My dog barks at the slightest movement that catches his eye, even when he is having a morning pee. He is looking after his territory.
You don't sound like an unreasonable dog owner, J4CKO. Why not take the dog round the immediate neighbours and ask if any of them have a problem with him barking. You can then see who blushes
The bloke near us, his dog barks and barks and it does do my head in. Luckily, I know the dogs name and yell at him to shut up. It usually works too

Oh and I very much doubt the authorities would be remotely interested, unless the dog was barking all day or all night, which he clearly isn't.
Hope you get it sorted
Old 12 January 2010, 09:51 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
It doesn't actually take away the dogs bark, just reduces the 'loudness' of it.
Imagine de barking a Pit Bull, it would sound as scary as a gay Whippet

I thought they were left with a high pitched sound that had no decibels.
Old 12 January 2010, 10:40 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

as with most people on this thread you the dog owner are in the wrong your dog should not bark and upset other people.

Dog barking when burglar in garden, ok

Dog barking for any other reason such as everytime it goes in the garden or everytime you go out

If you can't train it, its time for it to go

I cant really understand people having dogs in small housing estates, leave them until you have a big county house miles from anyone

I have had first hand experience of this, the council will act and will confiscate the dog regardless of how much money you have to Ashford Council who did this to one of my mum and dads neighbours.
Old 12 January 2010, 10:54 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

simple answer to this prob my uncle used it to great effect
177 air pistol
plastercene
plung pellet into plastercene and then remove and fill with water
place in freezer
remove ice pellet when frozen and needed works a treat and does the dog no harm a well aimed shot up the **** hurts just enough to shut em up and leaves no evidence as the water melts job done

Quick Reply: Anonymous letter from Neighbour !