Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2010, 01:53 PM
Bealescooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iphone

Right i got myself after reading reviews an iphone
i got the phone for a number of reasons and i like it a lot

I was speakin to a chap at work with 1 and he has been talking about getting it jailbroken , could some1 give me some info on this please and would it effect my contract / warranty

It's the 3gs on o2 contract

The chap at work said once done you can receive all apps for free is this true ????

Any help greatly appreciated
Old 12 January 2010, 01:59 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure about receiving the applications for free, it does allow you to install all kinds of things that Apple doesn't allow like Game emulators and other utilities.

Have a read here: iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone, iPod Using BlackRa1n [Windows]

Steve
Old 12 January 2010, 02:02 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Your warranty will be void and you will open your phone up to malicious software.
Old 12 January 2010, 02:12 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Never done it but a quick search of google came up with loads of guides..

Everything You Need to Know About Jailbreaking And Unlocking Your New iPhone
Old 12 January 2010, 04:18 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Best thing to jailbreak an iphone is blackra1n, its a simple plug in and run the software then 1 minute later its complete. As for apps for free, jailbreaking it doesn't give you free apps but it does give you the ability to add the ipa's thru itunes therefore thats why they may mean free games ??
Old 12 January 2010, 04:45 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

A few notes before people start jailbreaking new iPhones.

Apple did make a change in the boot rom of iPhone 3GS' that were released after a certain date. If I recall correctly, this means that any jailbreak will be what is known as a tethered jailbreak. Should you have to reboot the iPhone, for example, the battery is empty, then you WILL need to connect it to a computer and run blackra1n to allow the phone to boot.

Jailbreaking does not give you all the apps for free. What it does allow you to do is to install IPA files (iPhone Application Files) that are not signed by Apple. Most, but not all such apps are usually "cracked" apps, in other words, someone has purchased an app and cracked it and therefore you can install it for free, but obviously this is illegal as it's pirated software.
Old 12 January 2010, 04:46 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

My work mate "jailbroke" his iphone and used something called cydia to get stuff free....

all worked fine until about a week later he tried to install Tomtom......

The phone froze and he lost everything...!!!!....inc everything hed paid for legit.
Old 12 January 2010, 05:02 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rooferman
My work mate "jailbroke" his iphone and used something called cydia to get stuff free....

all worked fine until about a week later he tried to install Tomtom......

The phone froze and he lost everything...!!!!....inc everything hed paid for legit.
In which case all he needs to do is to have a read of this, which details how to redownload purchased apps if they have been deleted.
Old 12 January 2010, 05:30 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Ok, let me clear some stuff up for you

1. Jailbreaking may not invalid your warranty as you can restore the phone back to factory if you have issues. Although if totally dead a little hard to do.

2. The current iPhone 3GS can only be done via a tethered jailbreak, this means if you lose power or reboot your phone it wont work until you run blackra1n via USB on your computer. *beware* !

3. Cydia is almost always installed as part of the jailbreak process, regardless of method (optional too are Rock and Icy)

4. Never pay for jailbreaks! there are only 2 people jailbreaking the iPhone, Geohot and iPhone Dev team both release for free, other people are just selling you free stuff.

5. There are ways to get free apps on the iphone, although the proper term you are looking for is steal apps that other people have written so I wont document here

6. If on o2 they will unlock your phone here which is the official apple unlock

7. Even if Jailbroken you can still back your apps up in itunes, you dont lose them!

Mine is Jailbroken and there are some clever apps that fill the gaps that Apple have left out such as background tasks, WiFi router and lots besides. Only go down this route if you are confident in what you are doing. Most likely you will have to put up with a tethered JB too which Im not sure is worth the effort

Oh and one last thing, have plenty of charging options available to you , its a great phone but heavy usage can drain the battery very quickly

Last edited by Jaybird-UK; 12 January 2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12 January 2010, 06:23 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
2. The current iPhone 3GS can only be done via a tethered jailbreak, this means if you lose power or reboot your phone it wont work until you run blackra1n via USB on your computer. *beware* !
I'm going to try and wait until an untethered jailbreak is possible before doing it to my Vodafone Iphone 3GS which arrives this Friday.

Currently have a jailbroken 2nd Gen Touch - and it's great having more flexibilty. I do like the ability to try apps and games out and I've ended up buying more ligitmate software on the platform because of this.
Old 12 January 2010, 06:30 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Beale,

A man of your calibre should be able to work this out! Good info given here. I have been reading up a lot on jailbreakin, but with the 3GS having to be tethered its a bit of a nightmare if you aint got access to a charger 24/7. I found a lot of good info here on it : iPhone Hacks
Old 12 January 2010, 09:54 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

So a jailbroken 3GS can't be switched off and on otherwise you have to run blackra1n on it again?!
I couldn't be bothered to be honest!
Old 12 January 2010, 10:37 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
So a jailbroken 3GS can't be switched off and on otherwise you have to run blackra1n on it again?!
I couldn't be bothered to be honest!
If it's after a certain date, then yes, if you have to reboot for any reason you'll need to run blackra1n again. I believe it is possible to tell if you have such a 3GS by it's serial number.

To find out wether your 3GS falls into this you can do the following:

Settings -> General -> About

Look for the Serial Number.

First 5 numbers of your serial will tell you if you have the old or new Bootroom.

xxx37 or less means your iPhone is jailbreak friendly. Anything that goes xxx38 to xxx40 has a chance of having the new bootrom. Anything xxx41 and over has the new Bootrom

xxx being the first letter or numbers of your serial number. So, basically you're looking at the fourth and fifth numbers of your serial number which equate to the week of manufacture.
Old 12 January 2010, 11:14 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

my serial no. is xxx42 so has new bootrom so therefore jailbreak "Un"Friendly. Not that I care - CBA farking about trying to save a few £ here and there - especially with all the associated risks.
Old 12 January 2010, 11:37 PM
Bealescooby
Scooby Regular

mine is xxx52
after reading all of this , i've decided to keep the phone as standard
Thanx all for ur input and comments
Now then whats the best apps to get free and paid for
Old 13 January 2010, 03:39 AM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

All the best apps are for the hacked phones, they seem to fillin where the Apple desinger got bored and they generally make life with the phone better !!

The Dev Team have already identified a hardware exploit on the latest phones so a hack will be out in a month or os I would think
Old 13 January 2010, 07:52 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Mines XXX33 so jailbreak friendly!
£600 to the fastest bidder
Old 13 January 2010, 10:00 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Quick question

I've got purchases (apps, etc) on my Touch - that I want to move onto my new Iphone when it arrives - is this easy to do? Does your purchase only allow it on one device? (I assume so). Does itunes keep track of what app is installed on what device? Can I run itunes on two different machines (work laptop and home machine) on the same itunes account?

Thanks!
Old 13 January 2010, 10:11 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Do apple produce good cameras as well ???

I guess they mus do - that way they can sell you three different implements at vast cost
Old 13 January 2010, 10:21 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

dpb, you probably moan that a Ferrari has no space for a child seat.
Old 13 January 2010, 10:26 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

My next door neighbour takes his 1 year ole out in his 348

..and thats the truth !
Old 13 January 2010, 10:32 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Yup, and I bet he's very happy with his most excellent car even though it's easier to get a kid into a Lada.
Old 13 January 2010, 10:37 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Hes only one , you could probably persude him to get into anything
Old 13 January 2010, 10:40 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

The point is hes got 2 cars for different purposes and occasions but why bother carrying 3 different boxes in one , or probably 2 pockets
Old 13 January 2010, 10:43 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I'd love to see a phone that has a camera that can match my dedicated unit, but it's not going to happen.
Old 13 January 2010, 12:13 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scotsman
Quick question

I've got purchases (apps, etc) on my Touch - that I want to move onto my new Iphone when it arrives - is this easy to do? Does your purchase only allow it on one device? (I assume so). Does itunes keep track of what app is installed on what device? Can I run itunes on two different machines (work laptop and home machine) on the same itunes account?

Thanks!
If you sync the iPod and ensure it backs itself up (think you might be able to right click on it in iTunes and select "Backup", I know you can on the iPhone) in iTunes then you should see all your apps in iTunes.

What you might also want to do is take a look in My Documents -> My Music -> iTunes -> Mobile Applications (If you're on a Mac then it'll be Macintosh HD > Users > *User Name* > Music > iTunes > Mobile Applications) which should contain the apps. Take a copy of that folder

Now, in theory, if you use the same iTunes account (The one you used to purchase the apps), then you should, when the iPhone arrives, be able to pop the apps onto the iPhone as well.

The redownload method might also work too, ie; buy the app again, but iTunes knows you have previously purchased it, tells you this, and downloads a copy.
Old 13 January 2010, 12:16 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scotsman
Quick question

Thanks!
Your apps are tied to your itunes account and not a device, sooo if you setup the same itunes account on your Iphone you will be able to download all the same apps again at no cost.
Old 13 January 2010, 12:43 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
I'd love to see a phone that has a camera that can match my dedicated unit, but it's not going to happen.
Jack , for the average user , i will gaurantee it will happen sooner or later

leaving aside people who are enthusiasts , obviously
Old 13 January 2010, 04:38 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stealth
Your apps are tied to your itunes account and not a device, sooo if you setup the same itunes account on your Iphone you will be able to download all the same apps again at no cost.
Excellent -thanks
Old 13 January 2010, 04:39 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
If you sync the iPod and ensure it backs itself up (think you might be able to right click on it in iTunes and select "Backup", I know you can on the iPhone) in iTunes then you should see all your apps in iTunes.

What you might also want to do is take a look in My Documents -> My Music -> iTunes -> Mobile Applications (If you're on a Mac then it'll be Macintosh HD > Users > *User Name* > Music > iTunes > Mobile Applications) which should contain the apps. Take a copy of that folder

Now, in theory, if you use the same iTunes account (The one you used to purchase the apps), then you should, when the iPhone arrives, be able to pop the apps onto the iPhone as well.

The redownload method might also work too, ie; buy the app again, but iTunes knows you have previously purchased it, tells you this, and downloads a copy.
Thanks

Quick Reply: iphone