Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What will be the best mobile phone in 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2010, 09:03 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile What will be the best mobile phone in 2010?

im due to upgrade from my god awful c902 sony ericsson in a few months time. i like the look and idea of the iphone, but no blue tooth and a lousy camera puts me off.

any suggestions what to get next? what is on the horizon this year as far as great phones go, what will the next iphone feature for example, as i dont want an 18 month contract with an even worse phone than i have now.

thanks for any help!
Old 11 January 2010, 09:06 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

The new Google phone out soon looks promising even though it still won't be a patch on my V50.
Old 11 January 2010, 09:14 PM
nicjac
Scooby Newbie

Has to be the i phone 32gbs, has blue tooth and a 3mp camera with video.it's OK for phone snaps.
Microsoft are about to luanch a phone but it's an unknown right now.
Old 11 January 2010, 09:16 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Dont get an iphone, drop it and you'll crack the glass screen. If you want something that does what an iphone does, get an ipod touch and get another phone.

Touch screen phones are a pain in the ***, they really are. Gone are the days of quick texting, i spend half my time correcting text spelling mistakes as no matter how hard i try, i cannot type a message without having to delete a few characters here and there.

Nokia N97, a little better as there is a qwerty keyboard but again, you'll want to touch the screen for most use.

My next phone will be some form of blackberry, ugly as they are, I'd much rather have a normal type phone over a touchscreen.

No idea what's coming out, just trying to tell you to stay away from touchscreen phones
Old 11 January 2010, 09:17 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

iPhone 4.0 coming in July
Old 11 January 2010, 09:18 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

"Best" will depend entirely on who you ask.

I like my new iPhone 3GS, but I'd be the first to point out its limitations - most of them deliberate on Apple's part, which is a crying shame and probably not something they'll ever be smart enough to fix.

I plan to have another good look around the market in another year or so, once thecompetition has had chance to catch up in terms of features and, crucially, ease of use.
Old 11 January 2010, 09:59 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
iPhone 4.0 coming in July
whats the goss then? what will be the upgraded features? i like the iphone coz of gimmicky thngs like apps, etc. but i need a decent camera on a phone.
Old 11 January 2010, 10:02 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spudgun GTR
whats the goss then? what will be the upgraded features? i like the iphone coz of gimmicky thngs like apps, etc. but i need a decent camera on a phone.
5 megapixel camera with flash, improved bluetooth, larger capacity and faster on top of all the features you have now. A better screen amongst other things
Old 11 January 2010, 10:13 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

My c902 has lasted 2 years without fault and has a better camera than mos being mentioned above........Has been dropped from roofs, dropped into water,left in a nail bag along with screws etc,....left in pocket with keys, sat on, and gone down the road on the roof of my car.....

Its indestructable.....!!!!
Old 11 January 2010, 10:38 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

mine crashes, turns itself off, the camera plays up etc etc.
my old k800 was probably the best phone i ever had, but all my colleagues have newer sonys, and all of them hate them as they play up something terrible. none are getting a sony when their contracts end.
Old 12 January 2010, 04:58 AM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

i phone 4g
Old 12 January 2010, 07:48 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

It will probably be some kind of Andriod phone, not the new google one as that's a bit sketchy, and does not really offer anything new over the current droid phones IMHO
Old 12 January 2010, 07:59 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I have the N97 which does everything I want admirably, however the N9000 looks like it will blow it into the weeds!
Old 12 January 2010, 08:52 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Nokia N900 linux phone ?
Old 12 January 2010, 09:01 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

5 megapixel camera with flash, improved bluetooth, larger capacity and faster on top of all the features you have now. A better screen amongst other things
I'll hang on for that then. My iPhone 3g contract expired yesterday and they wanted £189 to upgrade me to a 3gs which I figured was pretty pointless, so the nice guy at O2 offered me a new tarriff, 30 day rolling contract - so I can cancel any time, £20 a month (down from £35) keeping all the same things I get on my current contract with the iPhone, plus another 700 texts per month for good measure. Still free wifi and internet etc.
Old 12 January 2010, 09:17 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I'm really liking my Blackberry bold 9700 but I think the camera would be sub spec for your needs. 3.2 megapixel.
Old 12 January 2010, 09:23 AM
y2blade
Scooby Regular

HTC HD2

Old 12 January 2010, 09:28 AM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

The next Nokia N-series should shake things up a bit.
Old 12 January 2010, 09:36 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I've always found the new Nokia N-series to be full of bugs and it takes 6 months before they are as they should be by which point they're being superseded.
Old 12 January 2010, 09:45 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
I'll hang on for that then. My iPhone 3g contract expired yesterday and they wanted £189 to upgrade me to a 3gs which I figured was pretty pointless, so the nice guy at O2 offered me a new tarriff, 30 day rolling contract - so I can cancel any time, £20 a month (down from £35) keeping all the same things I get on my current contract with the iPhone, plus another 700 texts per month for good measure. Still free wifi and internet etc.
Very good deal
I currently have the iphone 3G and at a push I could upgrade to the 3GS but it would be pointless as come this summer my contract will be up and I can either get the iPhone 4.0 with a new contract with 02 or maybe shop around with other providers ..who knows but at least I will be out of contract for the first time in ages just as a new phone is launched
Old 12 January 2010, 09:49 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Very good deal
I currently have the iphone 3G and at a push I could upgrade to the 3GS but it would be pointless as come this summer my contract will be up and I can either get the iPhone 4.0 with a new contract with 02 or maybe shop around with other providers ..who knows but at least I will be out of contract for the first time in ages just as a new phone is launched
Its strange really, I normally get itchy feet with phones and before the contract term is finished I'm looking to get an upgrade or switch to a new phone. The iPhone is the first phone I have owned where I have finished a contract and dont feel the need to change. There are loads of people who hate the phone, but for me its ideal. Hanging on for the new 4g version would be the best move for me.

The bad news is the new missus wont be getting a upgrade from me haha!
Old 12 January 2010, 11:04 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
I've always found the new Nokia N-series to be full of bugs and it takes 6 months before they are as they should be by which point they're being superseded.

Yup bug ridden pieces of ****e, the N93 was marketed as a proper gaming phone, a proper dvd quality camcorder and a host of other things, yet it never delivered, and the promised updates never even arrived, fix one bug, introduce a load more.

It did excel at switching itself off whenever it felt like it
Old 12 January 2010, 11:43 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

For me iPhone my a clear mile, my blackberry 8700 doesn't even get a look in these days.

I'm posting on my iPhone right now and watching my slingbox at home while stuck in a data centre in London
Old 12 January 2010, 11:46 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I thought the Google/HTC may have introduced something groundbreaking, but they're just keeping up with Apple. When and if the iPhone 4 comes out it will no doubt be as innovative as the first iPhone which is still the king of the hill.
Old 12 January 2010, 12:01 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Just in case, don't even think about a BB Storm2. The original Storm is an utterly dire phone and the Storm2 just makes it a less dire phone.

I'm coming to the end of an 18 month contract and am still undecided whether or not to have a iPhone (or one of it's pretenders), or just stick to a normal phone with a few goodies.
Old 12 January 2010, 12:08 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I think Apple will announce the next iPhone this year, along with iPhone OS 4.0. I'd presume changes to allow for the use of 4G networks, perhaps larger capacity, up to 64GB, an LED flash, and an upgraded camera. One thing I am really hoping for, given that we've seen quite a few countries have non-exclusive network contracts is for the carrier locking to be dropped, making the iPhone world-wide unlocked. This can be done via software, and thus could be passed on to existing users. I think this would be a great step for Apple, and Google is offering an unlocked phone, so there is some sense in Apple adapting to this.

As for other features in the new OS, not sure what will be in there. If they are clever then they'll add a theme manager, allowing you to customize alert sounds, and the backdrop and look of the OS. If winterboard can do this when jailbroken I cannot see why Apple themselves can't do this officially. Hell, they could have a section on the app store for themes allowing people to give them for free or sell them.
I'd quite like to be able to have an alert appear on the locks screen telling me I have a new email, in the same way I have an alert when I miss a call, have a new voicemail, or a new sms/mms.

Opening up Bluetooth to allow the send/receive of files would also be a nice thing to have.
Old 12 January 2010, 12:47 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
For me iPhone my a clear mile, my blackberry 8700 doesn't even get a look in these days.

I'm posting on my iPhone right now and watching my slingbox at home while stuck in a data centre in London

Hope you have a charger with you !

I have an ipod Touch and its great and love the Iphone but the battery doesnt last long enough and you cant carry a spare, these facts turn it from a potentially great business tool to a bit of a liability, I have a BB and the battery lasts ages.
Old 12 January 2010, 01:17 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm not sure what you people who moan about iPhone battery life are up to. Perhaps it's the fact that I have iPod chargers as part of my PC and Car stereo but I never have to "charge" mine, I just plug it into the comp or car during my day and it stays charged. I think I've run the battery flat once in years of ownership and anyone who knows me knows I use mine far too much.
Old 12 January 2010, 01:29 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Web surfing, email, apps... it soon goes flat if you don't keep it plugged in. I'd happily trade a few mm extra thickness for a battery that lasts twice as long.

Quick Reply: What will be the best mobile phone in 2010?