Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

have to say i agree on this one, total waste of money
Old 11 January 2010, 10:14 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's just trying to buy the scum class vote. cheap tactic but will probably work.
Old 11 January 2010, 10:28 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

This could be a double edged sword I feel with underlying motives. Think about the money saved if various government services became soley internet based and could only be acessed online.

For example filling in and submitting tax returns (done yours yet?? We've done 120 thus far, another 20 to go - all pending due to lack of client info ).

DVLA services, Road tax, TV licence, council tax, Inland Revenue, Police, DSS/DWP, NHS etc. Done right, it could cut the bloat in civil admin jobs across the board (civil sector call handling and data entry centres for starters).

And if everyone was entitled to a computer+internet, nobody could give the excuse saying "but I don't have one".

Problem is; people who can't afford also don't know how to use one. Literacy amongst that level is patchy at best. So up goes education costs (for free tuition in night classes), and the knock on effect is a load of semi-literate feejits clogging up forums like SN.

Another Brown stain on UK's daft politics.

(ps. They'd better be running Linux, no way should Gates profit from the tax payer )

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 January 2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11 January 2010, 10:29 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
He's just trying to buy the scum class vote. cheap tactic but will probably work.

Yup.

Although it makes you think, maybe they are not expecting the country to be so bad after all, i thought they were supposed to be screwing it up for the conservatives so people think the blues are crap and vote them back in at a later date...

Last edited by StickyMicky; 11 January 2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11 January 2010, 10:43 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Gordans cashing in on the news that the economy is clearly bouncing back with 10 % growth this quarter
Old 11 January 2010, 10:50 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Half these people already have sky,pc,xbox 360 etc anyway I am doing some roofing work at a block of council flats and everyone has a sky dish bolted to the side.
And to top it off someone there owns a silver scooby with pink faries on it, come on own up who is it
Old 11 January 2010, 10:53 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Not all low income families are "scum".

How about all of the families that have had the main earner made redundant recently. Might even be a good chance to get a C.V to somewhere they might not have been able to before.
Old 11 January 2010, 10:57 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Half these people already have sky,pc,xbox 360 etc anyway I am doing some roofing work at a block of council flats and everyone has a sky dish bolted to the side.
And to top it off someone there owns a silver scooby with pink faries on it, come on own up who is it

Finance is a wonderful thing
Old 11 January 2010, 11:20 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I am with Ali on this.

The internet has been a middle class phenomenon. The virtues of a truly connected world have been slower to penetrate the working classes.

There are countries around the world that have countered this by making broadband and access available to everyone, for free, at least where practically possible.

The democratisation of the internet is as crucial as any other civil liberty otherwise the gulf between have and have not will grow ever wider.
Old 11 January 2010, 11:29 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

We have more pressing needs than squandering money this way. If everything else in the garden was rosey then it might, just might be a good idea.
Old 11 January 2010, 11:29 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I wonder how they will be able to pay the monthly cost of an ISP. Or will we be paying for that with tax money as well!

I like your reference to democracy as far as this lot is concerned Trout. How much of that do we see these days?

Les
Old 11 January 2010, 11:48 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

This is probably what the piracy tax will be used for LOL!
Old 11 January 2010, 11:52 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
And the lack of BB is a problem why exactly? Apart from making certain things *easier* (online shopping, banking, etc) what does it give you?

Dave

PS: SN is a given obviously!
Access to ****.................... ?
Old 11 January 2010, 12:08 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by r32
Access to ****.................... ?
Exactly. If you think this lot are layabouts now, just wait until they have access to all that ****!

They wont even have to go out for their shopping anymore either.

Visit to the bookies? nah, plenty of ways of losing your cash on-line.
Old 11 January 2010, 12:29 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
wasting cash hand over fist:

Laptops: Gordon Brown Announces Free Computers And Broadband For Low Income Families | Politics | Sky News

£300m???? FFS how about spending the £300m on things the country needs instead of giving freebies out that aren't essential? Or how about not spending it all and not getting the country into further debt.

How about these people who want to know how their kids are getting on at school go and speak to the teachers, call the school or go and use a computer in a library if they want to see their kids online reports?

Everyone else has to pay to buy a computer/laptop and pay for broadband/phone line so why should some get it for free? So will they be paying for them to have a BT landline as well so they can have their free broadband? How about they pay for it thermselves and if they can't afford then they go with out like anyone else who works and goes without things they can't afford

This country is in the worst debt it's ever been in and this joker wants to throw another £300m away FFS. Roll on the General Election, only problem is who ever gets in will inherit all the **** the current **** has created and have to deal with the aftermath.
As you say the facilities are avaliable at schools and libraries

Looks like electioneering and good sound bite material - Could not agree more with your sentiments. 300m spent on armoured land rovers and more helis would be good, 300m spent of schools or policing???
Old 11 January 2010, 12:47 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Trout
The internet has been a middle class phenomenon. The virtues of a truly connected world have been slower to penetrate the working classes.
The internet may be, as you say, a middle class phenomenon, but broadband most definitely isn't

I bet less than 5% of the UK's 'low income' households don't have an internet connected games console

Besides which, there aren't many council houses in our area that don't have a plasma TV inside, a sky dish on the wall, at least one occupant with a 40 a day habit, and a wheelie bin full of Stella cans

Never mind giving them yet more free **** at our expense, we should be cutting off all their benefits completely until they develop a better grasp on the concept of priorities
Old 11 January 2010, 12:51 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru

Agreed.
Old 11 January 2010, 01:02 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Surely the majorities will already have computers and internet connections anyway?

They will apply because they are 'entitled to' and flog said laptops on ebay making a quick buck.

Buffoon.
Old 11 January 2010, 01:07 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I am on the side of the anti for this too. Rediculous waste of money imo. How about an interest free loan option for it instead. Lose a few quid a week out of benefits to cover the cost of it. Tax payer still picks up the bill but at least its not a "oh free you say, I will have one then" moment for the person receiving it.

Watch how many get sold straight on or something.
Old 11 January 2010, 01:08 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
The internet may be, as you say, a middle class phenomenon, but broadband most definitely isn't

I bet less than 5% of the UK's 'low income' households don't have an internet connected games console

Besides which, there aren't many council houses in our area that don't have a plasma TV inside, a sky dish on the wall, at least one occupant with a 40 a day habit, and a wheelie bin full of Stella cans

Never mind giving them yet more free **** at our expense, we should be cutting off all their benefits completely until they develop a better grasp on the concept of priorities

Yup, spot on
Old 11 January 2010, 01:19 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Whats happened to the old saying if cant afford then have do without (or words to that effect) ?
Oh yeah I know its because we have managed to breed a few generation who think that they are entitled to everything without having to pay for any of it !

Topped off by a goverment who are more than happy to keep doling the cash out - still think the max 5 year limit of hands out would shake a few people up !

Richard
Old 11 January 2010, 01:24 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Never before in the history of SN has such a load of prejudicial and small minded BS been posted.

I know Let's just look down on everyone less fortunate than ourselves, then it's real easy to make dumbass sweeping statements!!!

This should be called the 'I'm alright Jack' thread

Now I agree this policy may not make sense for a financial perspective right now, but using it as just another excuse to get your monthly SN 'scum' quota up is reprehensible
Old 11 January 2010, 01:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

How predictable you are Martin. It always just a matter of time isn't it?

Les
Old 11 January 2010, 01:35 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Never before in the history of SN has such a load of prejudicial and small minded BS been posted.

I know Let's just look down on everyone less fortunate than ourselves, then it's real easy to make dumbass sweeping statements!!!

This should be called the 'I'm alright Jack' thread

Now I agree this policy may not make sense for a financial perspective right now, but using it as just another excuse to get your monthly SN 'scum' quota up is reprehensible
I take it your laptop is on its way

Sorry, the labour government HAVE created a new benefit class, and if posters who pay their taxes on SN want to vent their frustration at what their contributions are spent on, then who are you to come in with your holier than thou attitude?

We already have a very generous benefit system that houses, feeds and clothes millions of people. This is 1 step too far. If you want something, you bloody well work for it.

What next? Free family holidays to Florida for low income families

Last edited by Mitchy260; 11 January 2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11 January 2010, 01:41 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
I take it your laptop is on its way

Sorry, the labour government HAVE created a new benefit class, and if posters who pay their taxes on SN want to vent their frustration at what their contributions are spent on, then who are you to come in with your holier than thou attitude?

We already have a very generous benefit system that houses, feeds and clothes millions of people. This is 1 step too far. If you want something, you bloody well work for it.

What next, free family holidays to Florida for low income families
Ergo, 'we don't want to hear the truth, we just want to believe in things that make us feel superior to others'?
Old 11 January 2010, 01:42 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I thought that we were all contributing to this anyway through our 50p BroadBand tax?

I am also pretty sure that Connected Cameron would do the same thing.

And just think - with free internet on council estates how much more txt spk we can enjoy on SNet!
Old 11 January 2010, 01:43 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just how much more of our cash do you think hes capable of off loading before hes ejected from power

- I think someone should be going round there with a striat jacket if this keeps up

Quick Reply: Brown just can't help it can he...