Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

OK, being serious about this weather for a minute

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2010, 09:23 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, being serious about this weather for a minute

Some areas have been struggling with the snow and plummeting temperatures for nearly 3 weeks now and if the Met Office are to be believed the snow is about to be replaced with constant sub zero tempaeratures for the next 10 days and that will make many roads even more undriveable.

With public trasnport also grinding to a halt the country is suffering economically at a time when it can ill afford to simply because it cannot function due to our inability to handle weather like this.

Given that, is it not seriously time the government stopped worrying about who should lead it and pulled the councils, emergency services, military and road salt companies together along with any other parties that can help and got the country moving again - almost an emergency task force if you like.

They spend enough on protecting us from the so called terrorist threat, surely this is a bit more important than that!!!!
Old 06 January 2010, 09:28 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Chill Out Maaannnnnn
Old 06 January 2010, 09:32 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed.

We didn't even get a delivery at work last night, as the police advised our DC not to send out any wagons. Not good if that carries on, and this won't be restricted to just one company.

No other wonder people are panic buying.
Old 06 January 2010, 09:44 PM
superstar1
BANNED

Was it not the ice age that killed the dinosaurs?
Or was that a meteor shower?
Or was it swine flu?
Old 06 January 2010, 09:46 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Its what should happen except eg the lablour party believe some infighting , in a vain attempt to become more popular , is much more important to the national wellbeing :rollleyes:
Old 06 January 2010, 09:55 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

We haven't enough snow here to cause concern. OK, some places are shut because workers have to travel in but it's business as usual here as far as most people are concerned.
Old 06 January 2010, 10:05 PM
superstar1
BANNED

The news and media are just trying to sensationalise and create hysteria over a bit of snow. The BBC even had a special news programme on tonight about the "adverse weather conditions" instead of the football.
F@@k me, i could just look out of the window and see that for myself.
Old 06 January 2010, 10:12 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Isn't this all part of the Global Warming thing we've been warned about ??
Old 06 January 2010, 10:20 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

It's an utter farce, a bit of snow brings a country to its knees, pathetic.

Why don't we have enough grit. Why do folk just stay at home instead of getting a shovel out? Why aren't winter tyres mandatory?
Old 06 January 2010, 10:26 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I did believe most were over-reacting to the weather lately until today when i slipped and fell on ice hurt my ankle and elbow giving me a boo-boo and I possiblely now have whiplash! Now i am all for a complete attack against Mothernature and her cronies!
Old 06 January 2010, 10:28 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Spoon
We haven't enough snow here to cause concern. OK, some places are shut because workers have to travel in but it's business as usual here as far as most people are concerned.
A bit gritting or clearing wouldn't go amiss though.

Regardless, short of a world war, we will be expected in work.

Anyhow, I'm annoyed my bin hasn't been emptied today. **** knows when it will be.
Old 06 January 2010, 10:29 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I agree that the media are ramping things up as usual, but like it or not the weather is affecting the economy. Up here (North Manchester) the roads are bad enough to stop people going about their business and it is not just because people can't drive in snow. Hills and sheet ice mean the laws of physics take their toll regardless of driving ability. As it is now forecast to be freezing for another 10 days something needs to be done IMO.
Old 06 January 2010, 10:31 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by BOB.T

Why don't we have enough grit. Why do folk just stay at home instead of getting a shovel out? Why aren't winter tyres mandatory?
I was watching something earlier, and apparently, if you do that (clear your path) and someone falls/injures themselves, you are liable for damages or whatever, if you leave well alone, you aren't.

That is pathetic.
Old 06 January 2010, 10:32 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

At least all the nasty bugs brought on by 2wk collections have been killed by the cold

TX.

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Anyhow, I'm annoyed my bin hasn't been emptied today. **** knows when it will be.
Old 06 January 2010, 10:32 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

If you want to pop up here and shovel your way through 200m of ice on the road so half of the village can get out onto the main road we will all club together and pay you - when can you get here?

We would of course grit the road ourselves from the grit bin provided by our council tax, but it would need some grit in it first - been empty for 3 weeks now.
Old 06 January 2010, 10:36 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I think a lot of the time it's just people not being used to it - and to be fair it's once-every-50-years sort of weather.

After 3 days I've got fairly used to driving in the snow, ie rocking the car on the clutch to get it moving and crawling up hills on tickover (this is a rwd car so not so easy at fwd). I've also got low-speed powerslides on roundabouts down to a T!!

The main thing the government/councils need to do is ensure there is enough grit to keep the main roads clear.
Old 06 January 2010, 10:42 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

a lot of people not used to it and using it as an excuse to not bother

Last edited by dpb; 07 January 2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06 January 2010, 10:52 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
After 3 days I've got fairly used to driving in the snow
As I said if the Met Office are right snow isn't going to be the problem. Ice is!

I don't care how close to Michael Schumacher you are in terms of ability you will not be able to drive on ice that much I do know! And nor will anyone else, hence my post!
Old 06 January 2010, 11:12 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by f1_fan
If you want to pop up here and shovel your way through 200m of ice on the road so half of the village can get out onto the main road we will all club together and pay you - when can you get here?
Well I've done that every morning to get my Vivaro out, by myself! Why can't half a village do it? How much are you paying cos I'm off tomorrow!
Old 06 January 2010, 11:40 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I did believe most were over-reacting to the weather lately until today when i slipped and fell on ice hurt my ankle and elbow giving me a boo-boo and I possiblely now have whiplash! Now i am all for a complete attack against Mothernature and her cronies!
Who's to blame? Make a claim!!!
Old 07 January 2010, 04:05 AM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
I was watching something earlier, and apparently, if you do that (clear your path) and someone falls/injures themselves, you are liable for damages or whatever, if you leave well alone, you aren't.

That is pathetic.
There was a Scottish mp on the news up here saying that , the above statement is an urban myth.
Old 07 January 2010, 06:53 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan

We would of course grit the road ourselves from the grit bin provided by our council tax, but it would need some grit in it first - been empty for 3 weeks now.
You are doing alright - they took our grit bin away
Old 07 January 2010, 07:02 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I had the same view as many on here (we should be able to cope) up until last night when we had heavy snow fall in the north kent area. Took me 90mins to do 1 mile! I wasn't stuck, just everyone else seemed to be. I did need a push when i got to the local 'hump-back' bridge, as did the 10 cars infront of me! The mrs finished at 5pm yesterday, didn't get home until 11pm and I have have just driven her to work again this morning as she still had to report for duty at 6am! (work for kent police). I'm due in at 8.30am and I only live 6 miles from work so I will have a good crack but I wouldn't be surprised if I get stuck.

Yes, we should all make an effort to get to work, but I am not risking my life for it. Live to work or work to live.....you decide!

Last edited by Gear Head; 07 January 2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07 January 2010, 08:29 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Not everyone can go to work when the schools are shut. Playing with the kids in the snow is a fine alternative
Old 07 January 2010, 08:49 AM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

You gonna pay 300 quid for my winter tyres then?
Old 07 January 2010, 09:31 AM
Kinni
Scooby Regular

I bought some Prodrive wheels of F1_Fan about 18 months ago and there is no way in hell I would drive down that road, from memory it's about a 40 degree incline.

It's not to bad here, easy enough for everyone to clear they're patch outside the house which they do and that's our cul-de-sac cleared.

If anyone falls over on my part and does me for injury i'll do them for trespassing
Old 07 January 2010, 10:29 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
You gonna pay 300 quid for my winter tyres then?
No!

There would be far less stranded car if we all had them though! They do it in Europe so why not here? Lets not forget, they're not just for driving on snow.
Old 07 January 2010, 10:32 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Its not that bad; I'm still driving round on summer tyres without issue. And my mum's BMW is yet to get stuck. She knows how to drive in the snow - she reckons its better than her TR6 ever was, which usually had quarter ton of steel chains in the boot during winter .

Still have my Land Rover if it gets too bad which has proper M+S tyres; Unfortunately its RWD only as a freewheeling hub on the front is broken (aftermarket crap).

Keep vowing to get some winter tyres for my own car, but not sure if I'm keeping it for another year. If it were law (which it should be IMO), then it would never be questioned.

I wonder if any of the emergency vehicles and buses have M+S or winter tyres fitted? Bet they don't (they should).

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 January 2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07 January 2010, 10:37 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Just get some snowchains.....
Old 07 January 2010, 10:54 AM
superstar1
BANNED

Lets get all the local authorities to spend millions on fleets of snow ploughs and gritter wagons, even though it only snows like this once every 20 years.
Let everyone in the country be trained on how to drive and operate a snow plough and gritter wagon even though it only snows like this once every 20 years..
And while we are at it lets have buildings constructed to withstand major earthquake.
And while we are at it lets strengthen coastal defences to withstand a tsunami (spelling)
And while we are at it lets make it manditory for all buildings to install air conditioning because the temperature might reach 100 degrees this summer.
The authorities must make sure the only programme ever shown on TV is BBC News 24 on a permanent loop then this ensures panic and mass hysteria is promoted to everyone.

Quick Reply: OK, being serious about this weather for a minute