Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Ever been caught speeding via SPECS camera?
No
95.65%
Yes
4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

SPECS cameras - do they work?

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2010, 09:48 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow SPECS cameras - do they work?

Little theory that it's just scaremongering to stop us speeding rather than every single SPECS camera being "live" as I'm aware of no one ever being issued with a SPECS ticket. Just wanted to test the water via SNet ... yes if you've had a ticket in post from a SPECS speeding incident or no if never had one.

Ta, TX.
Old 05 January 2010, 10:01 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dunno anyone.
Old 05 January 2010, 10:09 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good question. I crawl through and always see people wizzing past, they can't all be wrong can they?
Old 05 January 2010, 10:12 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Nope never and never known anyone either.
Old 05 January 2010, 10:18 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Surely they would,nt spend all that money on cameras that dont work,,.....!!!!!

But ive never heard of anyone getting a ticket.

Plenty from the normal cashpot cameras though.....
Old 05 January 2010, 10:22 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

They dont work if you change lane between the cameras.
As long as you change lane before you pass a camera you can go as fast as you damn well please.
astraboy.
Old 05 January 2010, 10:38 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

i use to blat along the M1 with no tickets and have also been know to tank it down the A127 again with new spec cams (i forgot where they were) but luckily nothing came through. that said i'm a LOT more cautious now as i think i've used up my 9 lives and to be honest speeding isn't really big or clever.

i still rip it down slip roads though
Old 05 January 2010, 10:41 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

This was asked a few months ago, I always do 50 through the ones on the M3 but only because I did a bit of work for the company in Camberley that makes them, I saw the tech and they do work, even if you change lane.
The problem is the connections needed from the unit to a server in order to get them to work is massive.

I think a lot of them are there as deterrents, but its not possible to tell which are live and which are not from looking so I think best advice is only risk it if you can afford the points.
Old 05 January 2010, 10:43 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy
They dont work if you change lane between the cameras.
As long as you change lane before you pass a camera you can go as fast as you damn well please.
astraboy.

There not always on dual carridge ways....well not in Northamptonshire anyway...
Old 05 January 2010, 11:00 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I've never been caught speeding through them because I have never sped through them!!

The poll would be interesting if the voters are only those that blatantly ignore the speed restrictions
Old 05 January 2010, 11:51 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

50mph on a m/way set up for roadworks yet no ones been doing any work for weeks ... ring any bells

TX.

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza
... speeding isn't really big or clever.
Old 05 January 2010, 11:53 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

A man on the inside, thank you Risk seems small to me as no one I know has ever been ticketed.

TX.

Originally Posted by Timwinner
This was asked a few months ago, I always do 50 through the ones on the M3 but only because I did a bit of work for the company in Camberley that makes them, I saw the tech and they do work, even if you change lane.
The problem is the connections needed from the unit to a server in order to get them to work is massive.

I think a lot of them are there as deterrents, but its not possible to tell which are live and which are not from looking so I think best advice is only risk it if you can afford the points.
Old 06 January 2010, 01:40 AM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For your information, my brother-in-law was done for 85mph in a SPECS area.

As far as I know, they work in pairs. Trouble is, you can't know which pair. it might be the first and second, or first and third, and so on.
I believe they also go by ACPO guidelines of 10% plus 2 mph (or sometimes up to 5mph).
I've regularly done an indicated 84mph (80mph on GPS) in a 70 limit in a SPECS area on the A77. I don't dare risk going above that, just in case.
Old 06 January 2010, 08:30 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

maybe they work

and people don't speed thru them --- i.e. keep a consistent illegal speed, (over the apco guidelines) for long enough to get caught

and maybe the ones that do, are to stupid to use a computer
Old 06 January 2010, 08:33 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they mainly work by most people driving below the limit in all lanes "gumming up the works".
Old 06 January 2010, 09:38 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

I think the technology is there & works.

I believe the legal system behind it is flawed - in that it only applies if you stay in a single lane.
Old 06 January 2010, 09:49 AM
superstar1
BANNED

Originally Posted by Terminator X
50mph on a m/way set up for roadworks yet no ones been doing any work for weeks ... ring any bells

TX.
The cones are just a safety zone for the workers, if you were working on the motorway you would like to think that some numpty wasn't doing 100+
The stopping distance, advanced warning has to be indicated miles in advance, hence the cones.
Old 06 January 2010, 09:54 AM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by superstar1
The cones are just a safety zone for the workers, if you were working on the motorway you would like to think that some numpty wasn't doing 100+
The stopping distance, advanced warning has to be indicated miles in advance, hence the cones.
Workers

What your telling me they actually do any...
Old 06 January 2010, 10:15 AM
Kinni
Scooby Regular

I know the local ones work but they're set to 92mph.

You can see which ones work as you can see the red glare from the Infra-Red on the active ones. Also I was informed generally they work in pairs by people who have worked on them.

Taking the A14 for just an example you have 6 sets at the following junctions ;-

Huntingdon, Godmanchester, Fenstanton, Swaversey, Bar Hill, Cambridge

The theory is they're grouped ie. Huntingdon & Godmanchester, Fenstanton & Swaversey, Bar Hill & Cambridge.

So speed between Godmanchester & Fenstanton and you'll be fine as those 2 aren't linked.

That said I still don't risk it to actually test this method I live between Godmanchester and Fenstanton so I don't have to worry anyway I just go at the speed I opt for and then get off before the SPEC's
Old 06 January 2010, 11:19 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Got SPECS on the M4 near me (Slough, Windsor) & it's been there for years due to roadworks. Used to be OK as I get off at 1st junction after 1st SPECS camera so didn't pass a 2nd camera however they've recently installed a camera on the slip lane spoiling my fun

TX.
Old 06 January 2010, 11:36 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is more difficult to maintain an average speed above the limit so unless you are remaining above the speed limit constantly or you have a large enough excess speed above the limit to cancel any time that you spent below the limit, then you are unlikely to get caught. Gatso type speed cams only need to see you over the limit for a very short time. Do you really feel that it is worth the risk by changing lanes though? The chap who did the installation siad that will not save you.

Looks like they do a good job of persuading people not to speed and I would prefer such a system which gives you a far better chance of avoiding a ticket if you accidentally stray over the limit for a short time then a Gatso would.

If you feel you have to exceed the limit for your own reasons, then you have a better chance of getting away with it in a specs area, thats up to you to take the risk if you have a death wish towards possession of a licence! Life is so much easier and less of a worry by just driving at the speed limits anyway.

Les
Old 06 January 2010, 11:45 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ How long before SPECS is installed everywhere though Les & you'll be forced to drive to the limit or below like a sheep / zombie

TX.
Old 06 January 2010, 12:14 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Ummm. You do realise that this is how they work don't you? A pair of cameras so they can calculate your average speed between them. Hence the 'average speed camera' moniker ....

Dave

i think he is trying to say that you dont know which pair are linked. ie we have 6 sets on the m4 in wales maybe more. but you dont know which 2 are linked. could be 1-5 2-3 4-6 or any other combination you can think of
Old 06 January 2010, 01:46 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
^^ How long before SPECS is installed everywhere though Les & you'll be forced to drive to the limit or below like a sheep / zombie

TX.
Well you have to admit that in the end, the authorities have the whip hand. You have to set continually driving above the speed limits against keeping your licence, not throwing your money away, and not paying silly money for insurance, provided you can still get it.

Now you tell me the better situation!

Shaun the Sheep is all the rage now anyway, he does his own thing too, and if you drive like a zombie, best give up now while you are ahead!

Les
Old 06 January 2010, 01:55 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ At the moment though it's rare to get caught speeding. I speed every day (who doesn't in all honsety) when safe to do so & have only been caught once in 14yrs! I consider SPECS etc a huge invasion of our/my civil liberties & my crystal ball suggests an invasion of the blighters in the future, more's the pity

TX.
Old 06 January 2010, 02:04 PM
Kinni
Scooby Regular

Yes sorry my statement wasn't the clearest. What I meant is although there is 6 cameras on that stretch they aren't all connected to one another creating an average, just a few of them. If you knew which you'd be safe to speed between certain sections.
Old 06 January 2010, 02:31 PM
Tenby
Scooby Regular

oh ****, voted yes but got confused with truvelo. Ignor my vote

Quick Reply: SPECS cameras - do they work?