Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tradesmen - warranty on plastering work

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2010, 05:24 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tradesmen - warranty on plastering work

I had the space above my attached garages converted into a bedroom in September last year. I was intending to start finishing the room after the Christmas holidays. I went into it on Christmas Day to show it to a visitor, and noticed there was a crack about 8 foot long running along the ceiling, and from tapping the plaster, I found that along the length of the crack patches of plaster about 1ft wide were not bonded to the plasterboard.

I had a guy out today from the company who did the work (not the acutal plasterer who did the work), he said it would be easily enough sorted out, but would be £50. Now on the receipt, it stated that all work was fully guaranteed. I reminded him that the work was only completed 3 months ago and I assumed this would be covered under warranty? He said this wasn't warranty work, as cracking in plaster was to be expected. I pointed out that there were some hairline cracks which I could accept as negligible as I could patch these myself, but this is 8ft long, and the plaster has split to the extent that it is coming away from the plasterboard in largish areas.

What would be the accepted norm? should this be treated as warranty work?

The guy who did the plastering work, has handed over the plastering side of his property development / rental business to this new lad. Although still trading under the same name, I would assume that the warranty work would transfer with the current order book?
Old 05 January 2010, 05:31 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

difficult area this... could be due to movement of the property / dampness / heat. all sorts of variables, but if it was a sizable investment on your part, i would certainly question it, if the work was reasonably priced, then £50 isn't that much to rectify.

worth pushing though, you never know.

also if its a free fix, will they do it as properly as £50's worth ??

if you do pay for it, make sure you get a reciept and a list of remedial work completed and why it was needed. (for future use) and pay by cheque (that really pisses them off)

good luck
Old 05 January 2010, 05:39 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not good Dave.

In the kitchen I have a couple of hairline cracks - 1 of which is because of a central heating pipe which is behind the plaster(touching it infact)
This would have been hidden by the old tiles

I have 2 more at the back door
one at the side and one at the top - because of PVC frame movement I presume.

My inlaw hasn't had any issues with Murray's work either
Old 05 January 2010, 05:51 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Aye - it seems that Stephen is looking after the maintenance end of the Pinkerton Murray estate agency, he has handed the plastering side over to a lad called Connor. I am fairly sure from my dealings with Stephen that he would have taken a look and arranged a date to come get it sorted. I found the new lad to be a bit of a different animal. If I don't hear back from him on the warranty front, I will drop in for a yarn with Stephen at the office. Other than this defect, they did a first class job, while in the house and with the final finish.
Old 10 January 2010, 02:34 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats his wifes business Dave
Old 10 January 2010, 03:00 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

As he is a tradesmen, the service falls under The Supply of Services Act 2003 and also The Sale of Goods Act 2002.

If you are not happy with the work, you have a legal right to give the tradesman a chance to rectify the situation, but if he doesn’t, then you can go to a governing body, call Consumer Direct on 0845 4040506 or file a claim against him, obviously as a last resort.

Most tradesmen are proud of there work and will rectify a problem, so it is probably best to do what you say and try have a word with him.
Old 10 January 2010, 03:10 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Had a word with him on Friday night. He reckons the plasterboard on the ceiling had been in situ so long that it had 'gone off', this caused the plaster to not bond to it as well as it should have. The ceiling now looks like this, it only took me 45 minutes to bring this lot down, it came off in sheets.

and the resultant pile of rubble....

They will return on Saturday to apply 2 coats of unibond, replace the scrim tape and replaster the ceiling.

Last edited by tarmac terror; 10 January 2010 at 03:11 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 10 January 2010, 03:19 PM
V5RLTD
Scooby Regular

Plasterboard will 'go off' as he put it, if left up for ages and not skimmed. Never seen it fall of like that though , normally just pulls in like **** when your skimming it . Did they PVA it before they skimmed it first time? Suppose its irrelevent now though if they are fixing it
Old 10 January 2010, 03:37 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

fell off with the help of a spade.... Plasterer acknowledged the membrane on the board had gone off which was the cause of the problem, I told him I would remove the defective plaster, which I did yesterday. I dont know if it had been PVA'd before - will be coated with 2 coats of unibond (whatever that is) before being redone.
Old 10 January 2010, 05:01 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have plastered ceilings for persimmons homes which have been boarded for over a year and used crappy knauf plaster and it still doesn't come off in that way. While your at it have a tap at some of the walls and make sure its not gonna fall off those