Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A question of other peoples safety

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2010, 10:26 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A question of other peoples safety

As i park my car on the street due to not having a driveway, i'm a bit worried about washing my car tomorrow (it really needs cleaned as there is serious amounts of road salt over it) as I don't want my water going all over the road and turning to ice endangering other road users! Am i being paranoid or do i have a point?
Old 04 January 2010, 10:28 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go down the local jetwash and give the underneath a good blast, then blast the top quickly from further away. that will do the trick. it will be filthy in 5 mins anyway so no need to go mad on it !
Old 04 January 2010, 10:31 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Or just grin and bear one of the side if the road jobs, but just get the cheap wash and tell them not to spray any cack on it.

My car still looks like the jizzed all over it last time!
Old 04 January 2010, 11:51 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Am i being paranoid or do i have a point?
You are being very sensible and considerate and i thank you for thinking of others

Unlike the prat who lives near me, and has water cascading out of his(her) drive and onto the main road, which freezes overnight into sheet ice (which keeps getting thicker)

I hope the council/police have a quiet word before someone has a nasty accident (bearing in mind that it is only a few hundred yards from two schools)

mb
Old 05 January 2010, 12:30 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

As i park my car on the street due to not having a driveway, i'm a bit worried about washing my car tomorrow (it really needs cleaned as there is serious amounts of road salt over it) as I don't want my water going all over the road and turning to ice endangering other road users! Am i being paranoid or do i have a point?
Bravo that man: This country needs more people with more common sense and consideration for others.

I wouldn't wash it in the street if it is going to freeze. If you do, go and get a bucket of grit/salt from a local grit box and spread it wherever the water goes, although it will probably fly up from passing cars and make your car dirty again
Old 05 January 2010, 06:35 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The car washes round here are frozen apparently .. but I agree, well done on considering others !!
Old 05 January 2010, 09:32 AM
Kinni
Scooby Regular

Maybe wash one side near a curb where people won't walk, then turn the car around and wash the other side again near curb so not much water sits in the actual road of on paths where people walk.

Respect for consideration though I usually was mine on the drive (no drainage down our cul-de-sac) and that runs into the road but been washing it on our gravel part of drive to keep all the water trapped and soaked on the stones so only part of my drive gets wet.
Old 05 January 2010, 09:38 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Shamless plug

If you have a local ARC Car Wash, i doubt they will be frozen as they all have heaters that run inside the wash over night to prevent freezing

The majority of the programs also have an under car wash program built in.
http://www.imocarwash.com/GB/Postcod...tionFinder.asp

Last edited by StickyMicky; 05 January 2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05 January 2010, 09:40 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

i park on my drive, but had the same thought on sunday. needed to wash 2 cars, but water would run off all over the drive and into the footpath, so i opted for the jetwash idea as well.

friend of mine slipped on some ice a couple of weeks ago after someone de-iced their windscreen in the street with a warm kettle...few hours later it was the scene of many accidents apparently.

my friend still has his arm in a sling and as he can't do his button fly up, he hasn't been able to go to the pub since early december
Old 05 January 2010, 09:42 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
Shamless plug

If you have a local ARC Car Wash, i doubt they will be frozen as they all have heaters that run inside the wash over night to prevent freezing

The majority of the programs also have an under car wash program built in.
IMO - ARC clean car centres.. IMO - ARC clean car centres. The largest car washing company in the world.IMO, imo, ARC, arc, carwash, clean car, autowash, locator, car care, valleting, valeting, local carwashes, regional, dirt removal, grit removal, a
But don't the brushes scratch the paint?

I went to B&Q last night to buy some rock salt as I was planning to wash mine today but they'd sold out. I have a drive but the water would have washed out onto the pavement so I was going to salt it afterwards.

Steve
Old 05 January 2010, 09:50 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Not sure on the scratches, usually a stupid wifes tale bandied about by the weekend bandit "detailers"never had a problem with any of my cars, apart from the time i did a proper test, and did one full winter with the scooby, 2-3 washes per week and no polishing at all in between.

Yeah it left a light haze on the paint after about 4-5 months, easily removed with a simple hand polish afterwards.......

Its a none issue for the average bloke who just wants maybe 1 wash per week for a few months IMHO.

I think 5th gear once did a piece on the various methods to wash a car which made intresting viewing, especially when they had to put the car through the car wash machine multiple times to even show any effect

PS. dont use one if you are running low profile tyres though.........
Old 05 January 2010, 10:08 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I believe that IMO / ARC brushes are profiled in order that they dont scratch.

My local IMO were reluctant to let me through with 245/40 and 235/45 17" tyres on my old 944, as the rims might have caught on their tracks, but it was pretty close. 225/50s wouldnt have been a problem according to the franchisee.
Old 05 January 2010, 10:10 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Wash it at the car wash, but find one thats just water as the detergent used in car washes will strip any polish or wax you have on the car straight off. It is in fact illegal to wash your car at the side of the road, though unlikely you would be prosecuted.
Old 05 January 2010, 10:10 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza
go down the local jetwash and give the underneath a good blast, then blast the top quickly from further away. that will do the trick. it will be filthy in 5 mins anyway so no need to go mad on it !
Yup!
Old 05 January 2010, 10:26 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Paranoid!

My neighbour washed his car on Sunday afternoon on the street (We've all got driveways)
It froze solid and has stayed that way every since.
Infact it caused one particular tool in a 4X4 to get himself in a right pickle this morning
He was doing his best trying to climb the hill whilst revving the head off the thing and presumably trying to make a piston exit the block on the ice now covered with snow.
Old 05 January 2010, 10:30 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Infact it caused one particular tool in a 4X4 to get himself in a right pickle this morning
He was doing his best trying to climb the hill whilst revving the head off the thing and presumably trying to make a piston exit the block on the ice now covered with snow.
most of my neighbours spin their wheels all the way up our road (probably 150m or so) when it's icy and i have to smile when i see them. they get so caught up in trying to get grip they don;t even think of easing off the pedal a bit!
Old 05 January 2010, 10:44 AM
Kinni
Scooby Regular

Guy with M3 near me washed his car went to it next day slipped getting in and put his foot through the speaker pod on the drivers door
Old 05 January 2010, 11:03 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Very thoughtful of you Jam and you are right of course.

As suggested the best thing id to find a Jetwash and give it a good blast, as far as you can reach underneath as well.

Les
Old 05 January 2010, 11:05 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richardg
most of my neighbours spin their wheels all the way up our road (probably 150m or so) when it's icy and i have to smile when i see them. they get so caught up in trying to get grip they don;t even think of easing off the pedal a bit!
I must admit I actually laughed at the tool this morning even though I was pissed off because I knew how long it was going to take to get to work.
I only live approx 14 miles away, but yet it took me almost 1.5 hours this morning.

However as I was clearing my windscreen of snow the tool made me smirk no end.
Especially the bit when his 4X4 started pulling left and mounted the footpath - 1 wheel on and 1 wheel off and still on the ice.

Dopey ***** he was.
Old 05 January 2010, 11:33 AM
Kinni
Scooby Regular

Don't wash the car think of the paperboys! actually go on then

Old 05 January 2010, 11:53 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

the sun is as bright as a button today but its still cold, really tempted to go **** it and get the power hose out but i'd feel awful if someone slipped etc.

Might TFR the car outside, drive down to the local garage and wash it there.
Old 05 January 2010, 01:22 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

the sun is as bright as a button today but its still cold, really tempted to go **** it and get the power hose out but i'd feel awful if someone slipped etc.

Might TFR the car outside, drive down to the local garage and wash it there.
You'd only feel bad for a little bit.

Then you'd laugh your ***** off
Old 09 January 2010, 02:11 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
You'd only feel bad for a little bit.

Then you'd laugh your ***** off
Got sick of waiting for the weather to change and made the decision thismorning. Temp isn't in the minus figures for the car got cleaned. Just a hose down and underneath, some Megs Carwash and a rinse off. She's looking Presbyterian enough for my needs!

......Just need to clean the inside of her now as i have icecream all over the passenger seat and 3 weeks worth of lunches on the back seats
Old 09 January 2010, 04:34 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

I pulled up to the front of my machine, selected program 4 and drove forward 1 foot

Done!
Old 09 January 2010, 05:18 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
I pulled up to the front of my machine, selected program 4 and drove forward 1 foot

Done!
I hope you paid Sticky