Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

giving up the car

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2010, 05:22 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default giving up the car

with this country constantly targetting the motorist for cash i'm seriously thinking about giving up the car and getting to and from work on a push bike and sticking two fingers up at flash.
no petrol rise would bother me, no car tax, no insurance to pay it seems win win at the minute, the only downside is the weather i don't know if i could cycle 8 miles to work in the rain or snow.

has anyone else done this and if so how did you get on with out a car? there is still a car in the family as the other needs hers to get to work but i think i could cope it's just actually doing it though!!
Old 03 January 2010, 05:26 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I already do it, the wife has the family car and I either run or cycle the 5 and a 1/2 miles to work and back each day come rain or shine. I know it can be a bit of a drag to get going on the coldest of winter mornings, but only once in the last couple of years have I succumbed and used the car. I have then been able to keep the scooby as a toy and not worry about needing it for anything other than a weekend play toy
Old 03 January 2010, 05:29 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I wish I could use a bike/bus to get to work, I need a massive van just to move my gear from job to job.
Old 03 January 2010, 05:31 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

14 miles either end of a 12 1/2 hour night-shift, as well as snow, frost, rain, wind, cold etc. I'd need a shower on arrival at w*rk, and another on arrival at home, and when I consider the car takes 20-30 minutes to do the journey, it must be IRO 45+ minutes on a push-bike, leaving very few hours to sleep, eat and enjoy a few minutes of life. Of course, it is this necessity which makes hitting us so easy and dependable ! I could hardly do my other job without a car either Driving instructor.
Old 03 January 2010, 06:25 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ The saving of not owning a car would put a smile on the bank managers face though Most of us can't get by without one though as the Govt are well aware

TX.
Old 03 January 2010, 06:26 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
with this country constantly targetting the motorist for cash i'm seriously thinking about giving up the car and getting to and from work on a push bike and sticking two fingers up at flash.
no petrol rise would bother me, no car tax, no insurance to pay it seems win win at the minute, the only downside is the weather i don't know if i could cycle 8 miles to work in the rain or snow.

has anyone else done this and if so how did you get on with out a car? there is still a car in the family as the other needs hers to get to work but i think i could cope it's just actually doing it though!!
Congrats you will be doing exactly what the government want you to do How about just saying no and fight!
Old 03 January 2010, 06:32 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

i cycle 8 miles a day come rain or snow although not looking forward to the black ice tomorrow o well ill have to ride near the centre of the road like i normally do and cause a bit of a tailback
Old 03 January 2010, 06:42 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I've changed my 14 mile bike commute each way to a 10 mile each way one since moving house and job location.

I know people will bemoan the time it takes to get home, but for me time on the bike is my time. You get fit, save money (ish - I've got a little carried away with the extras and new bikes ) and you have time to wind down from work.

If I drive to / from work, the work day starts the moment I leave home to the moment I step back through the door. When I cycle, work starts when I walk in the building until when I leave. I had a glorious route home from my old place, and the new one takes in some great country roads. Personally I think it was the best decision I made.

The thing is: if you live a cycle commute distance to work (<15 miles imho) then you are not doing your car any favours using it for such a short hop, especially on cold Winter mornings.

It can be a sod getting going when it's wet, cold and miserable but if you have the right kit, you are warm inside and frankly you just get to ignore the rain on your face once you've got going.
Old 03 January 2010, 07:17 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cycle to work, I love it but at the moment, after a few nasty moments on ice last year I take the car, cycling in this weather and falling of on ice is one way of injuring yourself and not being able to do it for months.

I would like to get rid of the car though, maybe one day but not just yet.
Old 03 January 2010, 07:27 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

The only place i would cycle to is my car
Old 03 January 2010, 07:30 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I cycle to work, I love it but at the moment, after a few nasty moments on ice last year I take the car, cycling in this weather and falling of on ice is one way of injuring yourself and not being able to do it for months.

I would like to get rid of the car though, maybe one day but not just yet.
Do you have shower facilities at work?

I couldnt spend a day at work smelling like a tramp after an 8 mile ride!
Old 03 January 2010, 07:35 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Why not give up the car you have and get a smaller and more efficient one, or go down the electric/hybrid route? I know electric cars aren't really any good if you live outside London, but everyone can probably make do with a smaller car - how many times a week do you have more than one person in your car? I know for me, I didn't need a big car any more. I fill up once a week, £30, my insurance is £200 a year and tax is £35.

Or, if you don't fancy cycling, get a moped.....
Old 03 January 2010, 07:37 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
Do you have shower facilities at work?

I couldnt spend a day at work smelling like a tramp after an 8 mile ride!
I'm suggesting on an 8 mile ride he wouldn't even break a sweat. 8 miles is nothing if you're used to it.
Old 03 January 2010, 10:10 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
I'm suggesting on an 8 mile ride he wouldn't even break a sweat. 8 miles is nothing if you're used to it.

I do

but the sweat can be counter-acted easily enough... it's the bacteria that cause the smell so a quick wipe with an anti-sceptic wipe does it for you.

It is not good when you start cycling to work, but it gets better very quickly... after a month you'll wonder why you didn't start sooner
Old 03 January 2010, 10:17 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
I do

but the sweat can be counter-acted easily enough... it's the bacteria that cause the smell so a quick wipe with an anti-sceptic wipe does it for you.

It is not good when you start cycling to work, but it gets better very quickly... after a month you'll wonder why you didn't start sooner
You've disappointed me Kieran I thought you'd be super fit
Old 03 January 2010, 10:23 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Do you guys who cycle have to wear shirt and ties etc to work or work with the general public? the whole idea of being getting into work and being wet/dirty/sweaty and with wrinkled clothes doesn't appeal to me.
Old 03 January 2010, 10:32 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

I cycle 4 days a week.

Monday is my setup day - 4 shirts & a set of grundies.
Old 03 January 2010, 10:33 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Only 1 set of undies for 4 days?? You dirty b4stard
Old 03 January 2010, 10:36 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

must admit i haven't ridden since i started work at 16 and i'm now 34 so i dare say i'm not the fittest i have been so i probably will break in to a flood of sweat. but the big thing would be getting rid of the car, i've not been without one since i could drive but i don't want to get rid of the car and then regret not having one.
then theres the issue of punctures, do i really want to be on the road side trying to change an inner tube! although with the quick release rims they have nowadays it's probably quick er than do a car tyre!
Old 03 January 2010, 10:37 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
I cycle 4 days a week.

Monday is my setup day - 4 shirts & a set of grundies.
excellent thinking there! i done a little google checking and its 16miles from home to work. I don't think i'll even bother pretending to be interested.

I've been only driving for less than 2 years, my insurance is sky high and my car really isn't good on fuel for the engine output but honestly I could never go back to public transport.
Old 03 January 2010, 10:38 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i work in a workshop as i'm a scooby tech so i dare say no one would notice if i smelled a bit more than normal!!
Old 03 January 2010, 10:42 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

so what sort of gear do you have to get then to stay dry in the winter? i remember as kid on a paper round i had these water proof plastic trousers you wore over your jeans or joggers but they used to rip after a while and were no good after a while.
Old 03 January 2010, 10:57 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Scoobyboy - you don't. Skin is waterproof

As long as you keep your torso, hands and feet dry you'll be fine. Waterproof tops are a bit boil in the bag, which is why I get so damn hot cycling in when the weather is bad... I'm less worried about my head as it's damn near impossible to keep it dry without over-heating... you just don't worry.

Clare - I'm nowhere near superfit... I wish I was! I can complete the 14 mile commute in an average of 50 mins (PB of 45)... the problem is that you generate a huge amount of heat when cycling and it takes times to cool down. While you try to ease off at the end, it doesn't help hugely and you need 5 mins to stop the heat generation.

A quick cool shower (there is one at work for me), get changed and done.

I take a clean shirt, socks and grundies with me each day (in a pannier), and leave the suit there. (trousers swapped weekly).

All this means is that you need to prepare, but this is not a problem and you feel better at work during the day, and sleep better at night!
Old 03 January 2010, 11:02 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

lol yeah i know that but i don't fancy cycling to work in the noddy!!! i'd have so many women chasing me it would be unfair!!!!!
seriously though i don't have shower facilitys at work so either i would have to take a complete change of clothes or wear something over the top that would keep me dry. normally i wear jeans and a t shirt under overalls so would i still over heat if i wore some over trousers and a water proof jacket?
Old 03 January 2010, 11:04 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

overtrousers are a pain. They slow you down, get in the way and overheat.

Change of clothes is always the best bet. (leave at work)
Old 03 January 2010, 11:28 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

We are really lucky at our place, they just replaced the showers with some nice new ones but to be honest though its nice to have a shower after the ride, if you have one before you will be fine, I am no athlete but can do seven miles at 14/15 mph average without degenerating into a sweaty breathless mess, you find your pace that you can maintain and its up to you whether you step it up and sweat more or just relax and to be honest I find walking generates more heat if fully clad if a suit, especially in London at the frenetic walking pace down there !

Usually, lets be frank, it is your ****, "Wedding Vegatables" and pits that get smelly and that isnt sweat, its poop particles, cheese granules and stale sweat, wash it all off before you leave and a bit of fresh sweat is nothing, especially if you have clean clothes and as Keran says a moist wipe works wonders, to be honest the smelliest people I have worked with werent cyclists they were just dirty f*ckers who didnt wear fresh clothes, didnt wash so its a half baked argument as with thought there is no way you will smell.

Like has been said, you are waterproof, the people I work with are terrified of rain and view me as some kiind of mental case for venturing out in it, guess what, it is actually fun, getting caught in a torrential downpour makes me grin like a fool, my gear gets wet but I have some spare stuff and radiators dry stuff pretty well, its horrid putting on cold wet stuff but its once in a blue moon I have to and it soon warms up, it isnt like being in the Marines, its some damp pants, I wear the lycra, full length at the moment, short in summer, you get over the self conciousness, I am not skinny but so what, apparently I dont look too bad and its kind of kinky being in a shop with no undies and skin tight lycra , its so damn comfy though, overtrousers are not worth the effort, wore mine once, they are going on ebay. I use an outside temp sensor to give me temp info and that determines what I wear, always wear gloves, fingerless in summer and varying thicknesses otherwise, ski gloves at the moment.

I have panniers, I get it all ready the night before, fresh shirt, trousers, socks, pants, tie and neatly fold it into a plastic bag, put it in the pannier, put some food in, pass, phones, wallet and then no messing in the morning.

Basically try it, use Google Earth/Maps to find suitable routes, experiment, buy decent gear as you can afford it and its liberating not relying so much on the car, the impending fuel price rises hopefully will make a few more drivers who can go to work on a bike. The car is misused, my dad was telling me of his next door neighbour, little fat guy, he drives to the Chinese round the corner, I timed myself at 1 min 13 seconds to walk there.
Old 04 January 2010, 12:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy

Too much of that and how long before they institute a road fund tax for bicyles so that they can avoid using that to repair the roads and fill in the potholes as well?

Les
Old 04 January 2010, 10:12 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

it wouldn't surprise me if it was next on the agenda, tax for push bikes, it's a wonder they haven't thought of it
Old 04 January 2010, 10:22 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Allot couldn't cycle if they wanted too I certainly couldn't 20mile each way journey, out around visiting several times a month looking at sites (not local) I suppose the only plus is I generally miss the motorways going to work car is good on fuel so..which also make me think why would I want to lol, fair play to those who do if you can then you probalby should anyway so the roads are clearer for those who cannot ;-)

I sometimes wish I could as I could do with losing some weight

Quick Reply: giving up the car