Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

BB Guns

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2010, 04:38 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BB Guns

My eldest (14) has a BB gun but now wants a new one, its over £100, a "Warrior L96", but I cant say I am keen, having seen how powerful they are, they will pierce a full coke can as shown in this video,

L96 Warrior Sniper Rifle - Video

Airsoft BB Guns From Actionhobbies Warrior MB-01 L96 Airsoft Sniper Rifle (Black)

These things arent really toys, from my point of view its basically an air gun, I think I would prefer he had an actual air rifle and just used it at the in laws as they have space rather than this thing being around the house, it looks like a bloody sniper rifle and I am not keen to have it around the house, he cant explain why he wants it and cites target practice as the reason but I think its just a teenage obsession with firearms which he doesnt get from me, he cant go anywhere with it as the minute anyone sees it he will end up with an armed Police response unit arriving. He isnt daft but accidents happen and I suspect it could result in someone losing the sight in one eye.

Am I being mean and over safety concious, i.e. I think at the moment I am going to say no or are there any alternatives I can offer, liek I said I would rather have a proper air rifle and store it in a locked cabinet, not sat round his bedroom.
Old 03 January 2010, 04:51 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See if you can find a target shooting club in your area maybe they shoot airsoft there. National Rifle Association of the UK | NRA | Weblinks | NRA Affiliated Clubs
I have recently joined one in France and from a safety point of view no problem if supervised and he will learn to do things properly.
The gun laws in the UK are very tight anyway compared to here but think you can still shoot some nice .22lr copies and various rifles once he is older.
Would be locked up tho if it was my child only to be used with supervision
Old 03 January 2010, 05:21 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

J4cko, your not being cautious at all, not in this day and age.

I'm a rifle owner and whilst I know there is a thriving airsoft scene in this country (read wusses version of paintball), if he is citing target practice then yes, I feel an air rifle would be better suited.

Prop me a PM with your location if you want and I'll tell you if there is a decent airgun club in your area. Most of the ones I know are friendly with a competition bias, they also rely on safety so he will be taught well.

The other option is a cadet force, I spent 5 years in mine and loved it. It was there I learnt weapon handling and went on to shoot for the county in 3 different disaplines for 3 years running. And regs dont muck about when it somes to safety with full auto's
Old 03 January 2010, 07:00 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
My eldest (14) has a BB gun but now wants a new one, its over £100, a "Warrior L96", but I cant say I am keen, having seen how powerful they are, they will pierce a full coke can as shown in this video,

L96 Warrior Sniper Rifle - Video

Airsoft BB Guns From Actionhobbies Warrior MB-01 L96 Airsoft Sniper Rifle (Black)

These things arent really toys, from my point of view its basically an air gun, I think I would prefer he had an actual air rifle and just used it at the in laws as they have space rather than this thing being around the house, it looks like a bloody sniper rifle and I am not keen to have it around the house, he cant explain why he wants it and cites target practice as the reason but I think its just a teenage obsession with firearms which he doesnt get from me, he cant go anywhere with it as the minute anyone sees it he will end up with an armed Police response unit arriving. He isnt daft but accidents happen and I suspect it could result in someone losing the sight in one eye.

Am I being mean and over safety concious, i.e. I think at the moment I am going to say no or are there any alternatives I can offer, liek I said I would rather have a proper air rifle and store it in a locked cabinet, not sat round his bedroom.
First of all your son can not own the gun until he is 18, you can not buy the gun as shown ie all black unless you are over 18 and have a licence, so you will have to buy it in a 2 tone paint colour scheme usually luminous orange or green.

I would also say that "£100" is no where enough for a decent/reliable gun, £300 is more like the right sort of money for bolt action sniper rifle. I would also recomend full face protection for the under 16's as well.

The video is funny as most airsoft guns will take out a can at 10m, when I go airsofting most hits are taken at 30-40m and snipers at 40-50m. If you or your son are interested in going to a airsoft site then be aware that the site limits in general are 330fps for full auto guns, 425fps for semi autos and 450fps for bolt action/gas sniper rifles and all guns are chrono check before being allowed in the play area.
Mog

Last edited by Mog; 03 January 2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03 January 2010, 07:12 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't let my kids near one.

Kids have only got two eyes and they need them both.

dl
Old 03 January 2010, 07:14 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
I know there is a thriving airsoft scene in this country (read wusses version of paintball)
Cough...how to upset all us airsoft players.

Who wants to run around with stupid looking guns that fire paint when you can have 100% copies of real guns to use in a safe enviroment.....and it does hurt!!!!.

Mog
Old 03 January 2010, 09:11 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Mog, I've done both, and I've run round with the real thing that went bang 600 times a min.

I really dont see the point in it, sorry.

Trending Topics

Old 03 January 2010, 09:25 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I would get him signed up with a local club so that he can learn how to use 'that' (or any) gun in the safe and correct manner.

I don't want to poo poo on anyones fun, but everyone (especially a child) should to learn how to safely handle and look after a gun, and having one about the house to shoot coke cans for a bit of a laugh isn't really sensible.

Last edited by Hysteria1983; 03 January 2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03 January 2010, 09:42 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Here's what you want here - My Bro, my little nephew and I had a shoot-out in my back garden with these on Boxing day - a good laugh and no injuries!!!

Gun
Old 03 January 2010, 09:52 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Here's what you want here - My Bro, my little nephew and I had a shoot-out in my back garden with these on Boxing day - a good laugh and no injuries!!!

Gun
Spud Gun!! Ha ha.

Always makes me think of the haloween episode of bottom!
Old 04 January 2010, 12:07 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think you are being very sensioble J4CKO. Those things do sound pretty powerful to me and the possibility of a serious accident is just too high.

Maybe best to get him an airgun which he can only use under supervision from you.

Les
Old 15 June 2010, 11:18 AM
Nathanb1
Scooby Newbie

I would ethier take your son to a club where he can get proper and professional knowledge of how bb guns and airsoft guns operate, i think kids under the age of 16 should have an adult around when using these bb guns as they can be very dangerous heres a website that offers a wide range of bb guns that shouldnt do to much damage http://www.cheapbbguns.co.uk

Nath,
Old 15 June 2010, 11:25 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have the days gone when you could just buy an air rifle and let your son use it? I got my first at 13 or 14 IIRC(I'm only 23 now so that wasn't too long ago). Obviously never had any problems, but an increasing number of idiots in built up areas seem to be ruining it for anyone else with a bit of common sense.
Old 15 June 2010, 11:30 AM
Nathanb1
Scooby Newbie

Yes those days have gone due to the lack of common sense amoung kids on estates which has lead to many people now being injured for improper use which is now why they have to be blue/green/orange and not black in colour.
Old 15 June 2010, 11:32 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathanb1
Yes those days have gone due to the lack of common sense amoung kids on estates which has lead to many people now being injured for improper use which is now why they have to be blue/green/orange and not black in colour.
I was talking about air rifles though.
Old 15 June 2010, 11:33 AM
neil1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
Spud Gun!! Ha ha.

Always makes me think of the haloween episode of bottom!
lol my lil lad has 1 of these e thinks es rambo how e acts lol
Old 15 June 2010, 12:26 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

holy thread revival batman!
Old 15 June 2010, 12:55 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As a matter of interest, does anyone know how powerful a BB gun is in relation to a standard type of airgun?

Les
Old 15 June 2010, 12:56 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mog
First of all your son can not own the gun until he is 18, you can not buy the gun as shown ie all black unless you are over 18 and have a licence, so you will have to buy it in a 2 tone paint colour scheme usually luminous orange or green.

I would also say that "£100" is no where enough for a decent/reliable gun, £300 is more like the right sort of money for bolt action sniper rifle. I would also recomend full face protection for the under 16's as well.

The video is funny as most airsoft guns will take out a can at 10m, when I go airsofting most hits are taken at 30-40m and snipers at 40-50m. If you or your son are interested in going to a airsoft site then be aware that the site limits in general are 330fps for full auto guns, 425fps for semi autos and 450fps for bolt action/gas sniper rifles and all guns are chrono check before being allowed in the play area.
Mog
Im not being funny but how on earth can you tell your hit at 30m let alone 50m with an airsoft gun at those muzzle velocities? Surely unless you get hit on uncovered skin its just like having a fly hit you? Or do you actually use those BB paintballs?

I like the idea of this as less cheating (paintball the rules normally go out the window):

http://www.warfighters.co.uk/WarFighters-Laser.asp

Simon