Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why no "coldest December" on the news?

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2010, 11:16 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Why no "coldest December" on the news?

I'd hope for an unbiased view of the UK weather from our media. However, as soon as there is any anomaly in weather conditions that hint at "global warming", its rammed down our throats.

Last month, surely the UK experienced its coldest December in a very long time? Where I am, snow first fell on the 16th and there has been snow lying on the ground every day since then. The highest the temp has got since that date is 3c. One day it didnt get above -6c. The average historical day time Dec temp here is about 6c.

I believe the met office also forecast a winter that would be milder than average back in November

We have been told to expect milder and wetter winters due to "climate change"....

I've never seen a December as cold as this, with snow around as long as it has been.

Has there been any mention of the stats around December's weather in the media?

Quite frankly, the theory of "climate change" due to human activities is b0llocks
Old 01 January 2010, 11:20 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I was saying exactly the same to a mate earlier.
Old 01 January 2010, 11:21 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two things.

First of all I do not think it is the coldest December and I am sure fairly recently when it was it was on the news.

Secondly, global warming is likely to give Britain cold winters and wet summers. If the North Atlantic Drift fails, which is likely, then the warming effect will be lost and here and Norway will be MUCH colder in the winter. Good for Scottish ski resorts as long as we get precipitation.
Old 01 January 2010, 11:58 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyway, it's climate change.... not global warming

I was just amused that about a month ago we were being told this winter would be mild, with very little chance of snow.
Although these were the same people who said hundreds (if not thousands) of people could end up in hospital due the extreme heat we were going to have in the summer of 2009.
Old 02 January 2010, 08:51 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
Two things.

First of all I do not think it is the coldest December and I am sure fairly recently when it was it was on the news.
I know it wont be the coldest on record, but its the coldest I can remember. I'm willing to be proved wrong on media reporting, hence the question mark. I've not seen anything yet.

The climate change believers seem to change their view of how it will pan out to suit the weather conditions at the time. They definitely said some time ago that our winters would become warmer and wetter, but you say they will be colder!
Old 02 January 2010, 09:37 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

It has just took me 1 hour 30 mins of shovelling snow to clear the entrance at work, never in my previous 5 years of running this place have i had to clear so much of the stuff

Completely knackered now, and when the next lad comes in at 10.30am i am going home to get pissed
Old 02 January 2010, 09:38 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

I guess I may have been a little unfair giving them 1 day to get the December figures out. The stories above have been published after I posted.

I'm waiting to see how the BBC reports it.

"Britain experiencing coldest winter for 25 years. Climate change scientists say it proves their claims of more extreme weather conditions facing the country in the coming century"
Old 02 January 2010, 09:40 AM
StanS
Scooby Regular

1963 in Swindon it started snowing Christmas eve, and the same snow was still there in March - brilliant for slides/sledges etc. Everything just carried on as normal - schools still open, roads still used. There was over a foot of ice on the lakes where we used to fish so we rode bikes on it ! Winters always had snow/cold spells although that was the longest spell of snow/ice since 1947 winter.
Its embarassing how the UK now grinds to a halt when there is 2" of snow. This Dec is how winters always used to be.
Old 02 January 2010, 10:11 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Where are all the MPs shouting to get the facts from *climategate* and asking why they've been misled all this time? Big fat silence ......
Not quite silence, but the wrong kind of "noise". As usual, the BBC take the lying government line, where the "hackers" are the bad guys and the climategate "expert scientists" are whiter than white...

Originally Posted by You make it what it is
Well, the story of the e-mail hack from the University of East Anglia ("Climategate" in some quarters) is definitely not played out yet, with investigations running and with the identity of the hacker(s) and any significant paymasters still to be revealed.
So, a bunch of amateur grant-grabbers are spouting "facts" that will cost the World literally trillions of pounds (and make some people very rich and powerful) - but nobody seems to question their behavior??

mb
Old 02 January 2010, 10:46 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

I bet the Global Warming bunch are sitting there with scowls on their faces. The last decades temps showed an average decrease. I dont think any one has a clue to be honest.

I would just like some honest facts on what is happening. Some say the ice caps are melting yet the University of Illinois say that the ice caps still have the same area, how do you get factual information?
Old 02 January 2010, 10:56 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Hey Dave,

I am old, anything in the last 30 years seems recent I did think there was a very cold December about 4-5 years ago with temperatures well below zero for days. The first half of this December did not seem that cold to me.

Anyway your evidence seems to contravene the OPs point!

As for Britain getting warm, wet winters. Other countries on this latitude get VERY cold winters. We have an enhanced maritime climate due to the North Atlantic Drift.

If we lost that it would get very cold in the winter!!
Old 02 January 2010, 11:28 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

When they list the GB temperatures for this period it must surely drop the average. Anyway after those hooky emails who can believe anything they say anymore.

Les
Old 02 January 2010, 11:38 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Cos theres other ****e just looming over the horizon ... ?
Old 02 January 2010, 12:14 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

In October the Met Office (the one advising the Gvmt on climate change) saying it would be a mild winter http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...no-effect.html the same Met Office who said it was going to be a barbeque summer. The reality is Warnings of more snow for Britain as predictions of mild winter fall flat - Telegraph

They are World Class I tell you!
Old 02 January 2010, 12:41 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
I guess I may have been a little unfair giving them 1 day to get the December figures out. The stories above have been published after I posted.

I'm waiting to see how the BBC reports it.

"Britain experiencing coldest winter for 25 years. Climate change scientists say it proves their claims of more extreme weather conditions facing the country in the coming century"
We used to get mountains of snow up here in Aberdeenshire every winter when i was a kid, I remember going sledging every day after school for weeks at a time, we get one winter (this one) of typical winter conditions and its put down to climate change?
Old 02 January 2010, 12:53 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
When they list the GB temperatures for this period it must surely drop the average. Anyway after those hooky emails who can believe anything they say anymore.

Les
quite right Les theres so much lies doing the rounds even from our own Government (comedy Central) that its hard to beileve whos telling the truth

Depends what you call average though, I believe the last twenty or so have been above average going by the snow fall weve seen up here (Aberdeenshore) we used to get lots of the stuff before but hardly a drop well maybe two or three days per year for the last twenty or so, untill this year that is and now its down to climate change?, it isnt down to climate change you morons this is how it should be!
Old 02 January 2010, 01:44 PM
tkws5606
Scooby Regular

Could it be true that the heat produced by the mets new super computer and the amount of electricity it uses could be single handedly causing climate change???
Old 02 January 2010, 02:12 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why does there have to be a sinister human precipitated reason ? its just weather, it happens, its always happened, trying to second guess something so complicated which has always been a moving target is fraught.

That said, I do think we should conserve resources better and try and be more frugal, less wasteful and try and reduce emissions until we sort out the whole cold fusion thing !
Old 02 January 2010, 03:00 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Onward! The Climate Scam must be stopped! Piers Corbyn calls on Prime Minister Gordon Brown to hold debate promised

...but our lying corrupt thieving incompetent government continue to stick their fingers in their ears and say "la la la, i can't hear you!"

mb
Old 02 January 2010, 04:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If we had anything BUT a government sponsored scaredy-cat lying mouthpiece that is the BBC, they would be investigating the climate scam, and tearing it down.
Old 02 January 2010, 05:04 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Looking at the December data it would seem that it refers to Southern England being much colder than average. Maybe it just feels normal for us Northerners
Old 02 January 2010, 06:11 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Looking at the December data it would seem that it refers to Southern England being much colder than average. Maybe it just feels normal for us Northerners
stop spoiling the fun
Old 02 January 2010, 06:21 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's just a natural cycle in my opinion. What happens, happens. But this AGW sh*te pisses me off! Bunch of muppets.
Old 02 January 2010, 06:59 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Anyway, it's climate change.... not global warming

I was just amused that about a month ago we were being told this winter would be mild, with very little chance of snow.
Although these were the same people who said hundreds (if not thousands) of people could end up in hospital due the extreme heat we were going to have in the summer of 2009.
All the spin comes from the lying ******* in charge of this country who said we would all be dead of swine flu by 2010!

what next, exercise is bad for us as it puts unecessary strain on the body so the nhs isnt liable to treat you!
Old 02 January 2010, 07:06 PM
Quasi Modo
Scooby Regular

How were your local roads during the bad weather? I couldn't get the car more than 10 yards off of the drive for a good week, just wheelspin, called the council about it twice, what did they do about it? Bugger all!
Old 02 January 2010, 07:36 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Britain's big freeze to hit return to work as forecasters issue new ice alert to drivers | Mail Online

Seems to be a few articles on the subject cropping up!
Old 02 January 2010, 07:55 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats just balmy !

well it was when i went swimming here on the 27th

Quick Reply: Why no "coldest December" on the news?