Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

SN member still owes me £100.

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2009, 01:23 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SN member still owes me £100.

To cut a long story short. I sold my car to a fellow SN member and took his in part exchange. We agreed a price and met half way. When we got there, he said he was £200 short and he said he would paypal the money to us when he got home.

I wasnt too happy and he drew another £100 from a cash machine saying it was all it would let him have.

2 weeks later and still no £100 although he has text a few times promising it. Today (2 weeks later) he now says the car has a list of problems and he isnt going to pay.

Am i being unreasonable in expecting him to pay what he owes. I'm sure i could have gone over his part exchange and found a list of issues too but i always believed you look round a car, if you like it, you do a deal and stick to it. Not change your mind 2 weeks later.

What are my options? I'm considering filing a claim in the small claims court as i have numerous texts from him proving he owes me money.
Old 31 December 2009, 01:29 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

If he was happy enough to take the car thats his lookout.If you have enough evidence showing that he owes money then try the SCC but it is quite a small amount so might not be worth your while
Old 31 December 2009, 01:33 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

A deals a deal.... sounds like somebodies trying to get off paying the balance

Who is/was it?
Old 31 December 2009, 01:34 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
He owes you the £100, end of. The issues found after buying the car are buyer beware and tough luck on him for not checking it out first on a private sale (if true anyway).

Name and shame
+1
Old 31 December 2009, 01:36 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

The amount of people that let their car go without the final balance being paid is staggering.NEVER let your car go until full payment is received (although i feel you probably know that now)

name and shame the little weasel
Old 31 December 2009, 01:39 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
name and shame the little weasel
What he said.
Old 31 December 2009, 02:07 PM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

Is he still on here???

If so name and shame..............
Old 31 December 2009, 02:10 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Kick him in the nuts and charge interest for the cash he owes you.
Old 31 December 2009, 02:12 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

he owes it you and any faults found afterwards are his problem he could have had a check done by a mechanic for a small fee but chose not too (or didnt think) so he should pay up, buyer beware.
Old 31 December 2009, 02:12 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Name and Shame!!!
Old 31 December 2009, 02:19 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
He owes you the £100, end of. The issues found after buying the car are buyer beware and tough luck on him for not checking it out first on a private sale (if true anyway).

Name and shame
What he said
I'd try and sort it out between you first if you can. Maybe even mention the replies you've had from other Scoobynet members and see if that makes him think twice before trying to not pay you.
Can't trust anyone nowadays.....you should always honour your commitments.
Old 31 December 2009, 02:21 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

SCC is your route ..... how far does he live from you? I ask that as he can request the case be heard in his local court (this may make the £100 not worth bothering about?).

At the end of the day, there are always two sides to a story - and £100 isn't a great deal, I guess it's just a lesson learned?
Old 31 December 2009, 02:25 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
SCC is your route ..... how far does he live from you? I ask that as he can request the case be heard in his local court (this may make the £100 not worth bothering about?).

At the end of the day, there are always two sides to a story - and £100 isn't a great deal, I guess it's just a lesson learned?
Pete last night you were threatening to sue Amazon over the shipping costs of a battery, and now the loss of £100 is a " lesson learned? "

Name and shame fella. You did a deal, he's reneged on it. Not a good way to behave.
Old 31 December 2009, 02:26 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

someone sold me a reversing camera from here 2 years ago now for £150 I got £15 back from paypal and still have yet to get anything back from the little ****** apart from abuse. that was brad fish aka fishywishy, redragon, fish uk etc etc etc aka **** head

name and shame boro
Old 31 December 2009, 02:28 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

I have tried again to persuade him to pay the balance but he still refuses saying the car shouldnt have passed MOT and listing the faults he has found. I knew it would be an issue since day one when he didnt pay that night or the following day.

Fobbing me off each time i text him.

I'm happy to travel to where ever if it comes to that. I dont see i have done anything wrong. I got a brand new MOT weeks before selling and did less than 400 miles.

I will give him one more chance to honour his debt and then file a claim.

If he still refuses, i will definately name and shame and make sure he doesnt rip any other SN members off in the same way.
Old 31 December 2009, 02:30 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...ery-cheap.html

???
Old 31 December 2009, 02:41 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
Pete last night you were threatening to sue Amazon over the shipping costs of a battery, and now the loss of £100 is a " lesson learned? "
Point noted, but you must be aware that the situation is completely different - for the following reasons:-

1. Amazon would have to attend MY Local Court, a private individual could have the case heard at their Local Court.

2. Amazon will pay up way before any Court case happens, a private individual could well ignore it.

3. To Amazon the deal is purely business, a private individual may feel conned and is more likely to allow emotion rule decisions.

4. Amazon would pay if the court instructed them to, a private individual may not.

So, tough though it may seem, £100 owed by a private individual may not be retrievable ..... £2 owed by Amazon is easily retrievable. Horses for courses.
Old 31 December 2009, 02:52 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I assume this is a private sale in which case he owes you the balance unless you deliberately misled him about some aspect of the vehicle.

If you are a trader in any way then it's a slightly different matter.

dl
Old 31 December 2009, 02:58 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

If a Trader, then the buyer would be advised to have the case heard in his local court.

Also, if a Trader, the court will assume that you know what you are doing in a business transaction ...... there may well be a strong defence from the buyer.

Like I said, £100 is small compared to the hassle involved. IMO.
Old 31 December 2009, 03:01 PM
zedy
Scooby Regular

same happened to me lol they never paid me either, 100 lucky its not a big amount

not worth the hassle, just forget it and chin up they will get whats coming to them.
Old 31 December 2009, 03:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I imagine the deal was that he bought the car as seen and agreed the price.

He owes you the cash and I hope you succeed in getting it.

les
Old 31 December 2009, 03:35 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

My 2 cents worth:
If it is a private sale and sold as seen and you were not deliberately misleading the buyer then they really don't have any comeback and therefore must pay you the money that is outstanding.

Do you have any signed receipt or anything from the sale?

I would consider using the iTrader feature on here to give him bad feedback, it won't get you the 100 back, but it might cost them more in the long run as people may decide not to deal with them if they are known to fail to pay.

I'm not sure if SN admin's can/will get involved, but it could be worth dropping them a quick PM/Email and explaining the situation and they could possibly put the users account under investigation until the outcome is decided upon one way or another, and again it would alert other users to the users behavior.
Old 31 December 2009, 03:43 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

SN Admin. wouldn't want to take any action as far as I can see, too many variables, too many things unclear to make a correct judgement - and that is not SN Admin's job either .... it is for the Court to decide if the final analysis needs to be made.
Old 31 December 2009, 04:09 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

As if somebody would turn up to buy a car and not bring enough money, the chap is a chump blatantly out to try it on, otherwise he would have brought the correct amount of money in the first place.

I used to get this a lot at work when people were coming to pick up valets, "ohh i did not bring enough" "ohh i forgot the cash, i will drop it off" "ohh just give me the keys so i can drive across to Asda and use the cashpoint machine.

Had a woman use the last excuse once, and i let her as it did look a bit of a ball ache to drag her kids across the road (she got as taxi in to the site to pick the car up) she never came back the ****ing ****.

Sad state of affairs but we quickly learned to not trust them as far as we could throw them, nowadays you simply do not get your keys back unless you have paid in full.

I have had to chase people in the past and find out where they live? from the mobile numbers they left with us, to get payment by knocking on front doors (google is great)
Old 31 December 2009, 04:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The guy owes you money on a car. Go round to his house with a load of mates and repo it. I bet he pays then
Old 31 December 2009, 04:17 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
As if somebody would turn up to buy a car and not bring enough money, the chap is a chump blatantly out to try it on, otherwise he would have brought the correct amount of money in the first place.

I used to get this a lot at work when people were coming to pick up valets, "ohh i did not bring enough" "ohh i forgot the cash, i will drop it off" "ohh just give me the keys so i can drive across to Asda and use the cashpoint machine.

Had a woman use the last excuse once, and i let her as it did look a bit of a ball ache to drag her kids across the road (she got as taxi in to the site to pick the car up) she never came back the ****ing ****.

Sad state of affairs but we quickly learned to not trust them as far as we could throw them, nowadays you simply do not get your keys back unless you have paid in full.

I have had to chase people in the past and find out where they live? from the mobile numbers they left with us, to get payment by knocking on front doors (google is great)
You'd think people would come with enough money, but that is one of the tricks people try. £100 in one pocket, £100 in the other, 'this is all I could raise mate' kind of stuff, hoping you are so desperate to sell youll take £100 less!
Old 31 December 2009, 04:23 PM
skidlebop
Scooby Newbie

its your own falt
Old 31 December 2009, 04:23 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

When I used to buy cars, the spreading of money was one of the tricks .... my brother would keep some money in his pockets, I would in mine and the car would contain some in the glovebox.

Then, you 'collect' every 'last penny' you have by borrowing off your brother, finding car park money, the kids pocket money, the wifes shopping money ....... it's a trick.

But, I always paid what I owed before I took the car away .... these days it seems that everyone wants something for nothing, sad.
Old 31 December 2009, 04:26 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skidlebop
its your own falt
Falt? Felt? Fanta? Come on, its obviously fault, and not his.