Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Would i be covered by paypal in this situation if ive been ripped off ?

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2009, 12:31 AM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would i be covered by paypal in this situation if ive been ripped off ?

I was just wondering if their are any paypal experts out their that can help with this one.

I bought a T shirt from a seller on ebay via an ebay auction, after i won the auction i had a quick look in their ebay shop as they seemed to have some decent items.

They had a fleece hoody i liked and a fleece style jumper but they didn`t have them in my size, i asked could they get them in my size and they said it wasn`t a problem.

Anyway, the seller said they could put the items up as a normal ebay listing or they could give me a slightly better deal if i paid direct via paypal and they would send them with my T-shirt that i won on ebay.

I thought i would go with the paypal option for the better deal as i had no reason to doubt the seller with a feedback rating of 5831 with a 99.9% positive feedback rating, they are a top rated seller as well.

The items arrived fine, after checking them the quality of the fleece hoody and fleece jumper were ropey to say the least, stitching that looked like a drunk had done it and really rough cut material around some of the lettering on the front of both the fleece hoody and the fleece jumper, the T shirt seems ok.

I contacted the seller and told them that i wanted a refund for both the fleece hoody and the fleece jumper for the above reasons, i sent them photo proof and they agreed to the refund and to pay the return postage.

It was over a week ago that i sent the items and ive heard nothing at all, previously this seller was instant with replies both via emails and via ebay, they would reply in a matter of minutes sometimes and most other times within a couple of hours but always the same day as the question had been sent.

Since the goods have been sent back ive had 2 emails that they havn`t responded too which is out of character for this seller, one was sent on wednsday and one on friday.

I know you should never deal outside of ebay but the amount involved is just £48 plus the seller is an ebay top rated seller with a rating of 5831 deals with a 99.9% positive feedback.

Lets just say i do get ripped off which may or may not happen, would i be covered by paypal seeing as payment was sent through them ?
Old 29 November 2009, 12:44 AM
hughes741
Scooby Regular

if your payment source is a credit card then yes just ask them to get it back.
Old 29 November 2009, 01:13 AM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Anyone using Paypal needs their head read!
Old 29 November 2009, 09:10 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
Thats not strictly true. It can be helpful in a dispute. It saved me from being ripped off for £300 plus post of a heavy box. They even rang me to offer help after I had a problem with a girl not paying for a phone and as they couldn't help "on this occasion" they gave me a £20 off voucher.

Where it falls down is when someone sells an item and its supposed to be in a useable condition and it isn't. Paypal will not find in your favour. Moreover, if you sell an item that you believe to be in useable condition and the buyer doesn't agree, tough.

The only downside is the fees have gone bloody stupid. I won my old Jeep Cherokee on Saturday afternoon, I only had Sunday to pick it up and it was a 5 hour round trip. I had to use paypal to get the money to the seller (this isn't recommended by the way as I could easily have lost £1500!) and that cost £55 in fees.
Old 29 November 2009, 09:10 AM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Agreed Tam , Western Union all the way
Old 29 November 2009, 09:20 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

edd,why didnt you pay him when you collected the truck ?

on topic,its a tricky one as paypal offers protection over non received items etc,you received them so on that basis they wouldnt refund,its down to you and the seller to sort out issues with sizes/quality issues,but now u have sent them back its down to have they been recieved etc and not sure how paypal will favour this one

good luck
Old 29 November 2009, 09:47 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ahhh .. that explains the other post ...

Old 29 November 2009, 10:08 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rig
edd,why didnt you pay him when you collected the truck ?
I wasn't the winning bidder Saturday morning but got an email in the afternoon to say the winning bidder didn't want it. We only had Sunday to pick it up because it was so far away but we were going that way to pick up furniture for my mother in a mates van.

Only way to get the money to the seller was paypal. I had no means of getting the cash. So I just said I'll pay by paypal.

We got the furniture from Oxford, stopped in Monmouth to pick up the Jeep. The guy said do you want to look at it to which I replied theres not much point as I've already paid you. We then drove back to West Wales.

The wife had never driven anything so big, for so long, with an auto box, in terrible weather in a 4x4 that could have broke down instantly.

Turned out to be a mint Jeep and kick myself for selling it.
Old 29 November 2009, 12:12 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Troll alert,troll alert