Swine Flu Jab

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2009, 10:32 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swine Flu Jab

What are peoples opinions on the swine flu jab for kids
We have just received a form to complete if we want our child to have it.
I have heard of lots of parents refusing to have it after speaking to doctors who aren't having their children vaccinated.
Our daughter is 6 months old and we just want to do what is best for her we will probably get it done unless I find a good reason not to.

Do we have any doctors or medical experts on here
Old 27 November 2009, 10:37 AM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

I've been offered the jab but refused after talking to a few pharmacists who have said they will not be having it as it as not been tested .
Old 27 November 2009, 11:34 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I spoke to our doctor about it and he is having his little lad jabbed, and has had it himself a while back.

As for it "not being tested", it has been tested on 5000 people, but more importantly our doctor pointed out that 6000 people have died from Swine Flu, but NONE of the 6 million people that have had the jab have died, so do the maths on that one - that's enough of a "test" for me.

We haven't had a letter yet for our boy but we will probably get him jabbed when we do, he will be 3 then.

Problem is, if you don't have the jab and your child gets SF and something happens it is your fault, but if you get the jab "on doctors advice" and something happens at least you were just doing what you were advised. Tricky decision, but then so was the MMR jab after all the nonsense going about.
Old 27 November 2009, 11:47 AM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
I spoke to our doctor about it and he is having his little lad jabbed, and has had it himself a while back.

As for it "not being tested", it has been tested on 5000 people, but more importantly our doctor pointed out that 6000 people have died from Swine Flu, but NONE of the 6 million people that have had the jab have died, so do the maths on that one - that's enough of a "test" for me.

We haven't had a letter yet for our boy but we will probably get him jabbed when we do, he will be 3 then.

Problem is, if you don't have the jab and your child gets SF and something happens it is your fault, but if you get the jab "on doctors advice" and something happens at least you were just doing what you were advised. Tricky decision, but then so was the MMR jab after all the nonsense going about.

There was also the gulf war syndrome caused by drugs that were not sufficiently tested , so i suppose its catch 22 at the moment
Old 27 November 2009, 12:09 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

From my limited understanding the risk of death from the jab is far, far less than death from SF itself. So it seems an easy decision to make.

dl
Old 27 November 2009, 12:53 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

My son, 15, was jabbed on Tuesday. He has asthma, so a higher risk category. Has had a sore arm for a couple of days and lay on the couch the following evening too lethargic to get up. Has recovered now. We didn't hesitate to allow him to be inoculated. He did some research and it was ultimately his decision to have the jab.
Old 27 November 2009, 04:25 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Your doctor hasn't got all the facts .... FIFTH "SWINE FLU" VACCINE DEATH IN SWEDEN - VACCINATIONS STILL GO AHEAD AS PLANNED!

"... Today, Svenska Dagbladet reports that over 350 cases of side effects from the Pandemrix "swine flu" shot, has been recorded so far. It has also become clear that this shot contains the most deadly mix of substances of all the known vaccines manufactured against the so called "swine flu" H1N1 influenza. The official number of deaths from the "swine flu" vaccine is now five ..."

And in terms of the number who have died from swine flu read ... Superstar CBS Reporter Blows the Lid Off the Swine Flu Media Hype and Hysteria

Admittedly from the US but the general picture is the same as both governments are in the pockets of the big drug companies ...

"... The point is, of the vast majority of the presumed swine flu cases recognized by trained physicians, the vast majority were not flu at all. They weren’t swine flu or regular flu; they were some other sort of upper respiratory infection.” ..."

"... She gives even more striking examples of the numbers the investigative report revealed. For instance:
  • In Florida, 83 percent of specimens that were presumed to be swine flu were negative for all flu when tested!
  • In California, 86 percent of suspected H1N1 specimens were not swine flu or any flu; only 2 percent were confirmed swine flu.
  • In Alaska, 93 percent of suspected swine flu specimens were negative for all flu types; only 1 percent was H1N1 flu. ..."
Basically, you're getting a shot for supposed swine flu protection when, in the vast majority of cases, your 'flu' won't be flu at all. Therefore no protection. Not only that but in the vast majority of cases that are swine flu, the symptoms are so mild that most people never notice they have anything! (news report recently here in the UK).

Dave
Thanks, but I'll take the advice of my excellent doctor over some Swedish and US propoganda type websites.

The 6 million figure was probably for the UK as well, maybe the yanks use different drugs?

Tbf he did say that many of the "swine flu" cases he was seeing weren't SF at all and he'd only sent 3 youngsters to hospital with proper SF.
Old 27 November 2009, 04:37 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

I had a raging hardon for an hour afterwards. The nurse was hot though.
Old 27 November 2009, 07:07 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Thanks, but I'll take the advice of my excellent doctor over some Swedish and US propoganda type websites.

The 6 million figure was probably for the UK as well, maybe the yanks use different drugs?

Tbf he did say that many of the "swine flu" cases he was seeing weren't SF at all and he'd only sent 3 youngsters to hospital with proper SF.

lol do you not realise that your local pharmist is more educated thanh your doctor
Old 27 November 2009, 07:23 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I had it 2 weeks ago, had no side effects at all.

Chip
Old 27 November 2009, 07:48 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no hesitation about recommending swine flu vaccination. Swine flu can be very scary indeed. Only a few days ago I treated a previously completely fit patient who desaturated on 100% oxygen and has virologically confirmed A/H1N1. Most of my patients know better than to trust pseudo-scientific media/internet confusion, and will turn to me for an opinion as I provide cradle to grave care to them and their families, having won their valued trust.

(Just a GP for the last 7 years, following 9 years of training after A-levels that obviously weren't good enough to get me into Pharmacy, yet for some reason can legally dispense prescriptions).

Last edited by john banks; 27 November 2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 27 November 2009, 08:32 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

I wonder if there'll be any long term side effects from getting this untested poison injected into people, I sure as hell hope not for the mugs/lab rats who've had it! Swine flu, if it even really exists is just another scare mongering tool used by the most untrustworthy Government ever in the UK, I will not be getting it nor will any of my family, I'd rather take my chances with a dose of the Flu!

More folk die due to Meningitis etc than this scare Flu, so why don't our Gov set about doing something to help people with real diseases etc like that rather than made up ones like Swine flu, Bird Flu and Saars etc, It's a lot of pish IMHO

A scared population is a controlled population!
Old 27 November 2009, 08:37 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

my lads just been diagnosed with swine flu, he is on the tamiflu tonight
Old 27 November 2009, 09:00 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I would tend to agree Tam the Bam, I'm quite cynical, and was especially since I work in a relatively rural setting where swine flu numbers have been relatively low. However, the number of young, fit people ending up in ITU is notable. I would vaccinate my own children if I had them, and would feel pretty awful if I didn't, they got swine flu and there were not enough ITU beds if things happen as some suspect. But I expect if you've made your mind up this is just scaremongering, since there are many flawed ways of interpreting data to support your conclusions.

I looked at the evidence without bias, and drew my conclusions that there is no conspiracy theory here. My only disappointment is that I think there should be more virological testing and distribution of the results to understand local patterns.
Old 27 November 2009, 09:05 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
my lads just been diagnosed with swine flu, he is on the tamiflu tonight
I'm sure your lad will be fine after a while of feeling **** Just out of interest was he diagnosed with Swine flu from lab results or just the say so of some GP? No disrespect intended but my other half is a nurse and most cases of suspected swine flu turn out to be just flu, heavy cold or chest infection, but GP's like to hand out tamiflu like sweeties to cover their own ****!
Old 27 November 2009, 09:21 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

It is so easy for someone that is not responsible for the prescribing decision to criticise, especially after the results and seeing the patient without complications. By the time virology is ready you usually have to have made the decision, which is why I like to know local patterns of spread. It is something we deal with daily with all infections/antimicrobial decisions.

I have prescribed Tamiflu on a handful of occasions so far, after an informed discussion with the patient about the pros/cons. Even I eat more sweeties than that. Two of my patients have been hospitalised, both by blue light ambulance, both confirmed virologically after the event. Not a bad record?

Last edited by john banks; 27 November 2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 27 November 2009, 10:09 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by john banks
It is so easy for someone that is not responsible for the prescribing decision to criticise, especially after the results and seeing the patient without complications. By the time virology is ready you usually have to have made the decision, which is why I like to know local patterns of spread. It is something we deal with daily with all infections/antimicrobial decisions.

I have prescribed Tamiflu on a handful of occasions so far, after an informed discussion with the patient about the pros/cons. Even I eat more sweeties than that. Two of my patients have been hospitalised, both by blue light ambulance, both confirmed virologically after the event. Not a bad record?
I'm not criticising you John, you sound like a very responsible GP, pity they're not more like you

But be honest swine flu isn't an epidemic atm and a million miles from pandemic which the Gov and their mouthpiece the BBC would lead us to believe?
Old 27 November 2009, 10:50 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

It meets formal definition criteria for a pandemic, and in some areas is obviously epidemic, even if the case definition is virological rather than clinical. Positive rates on testing are increasing. It would not surprise me if there are over one billion infections. Hopefully deaths will stay relatively low, but if resistance to tamiflu increases, there is significant mutation to stop vaccines working, then we could be in for a rough ride. If we were unlucky enough to have co-infection with other more pathogenic influenzae in human or animal hosts, it could be a doomsday scenario. The truth is somewhere in between us all just getting a cold and dropping dead.

Last edited by john banks; 27 November 2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 27 November 2009, 11:09 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by john banks
It meets formal definition criteria for a pandemic
Hmmmm Government definitions? If so not worth the paper they're written on!
Old 28 November 2009, 12:05 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Medical school definitions They're not all out to get you
Old 28 November 2009, 11:45 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

ive had it, it made my arm cane for three days and the second day I felt awful, high temp groggy etc. feel ok now.
Old 28 November 2009, 12:17 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

I've had it too, apart from a sore arm I've been fine. Once it's available to under fives (should be 2-3 weeks time in my area) then my two young boys will be getting it.

My wife's got a PhD in Microbiology, my sister is a GP practice nurse and brother-in-law is a senior emergency medical planner for the Scottish Government, we have 4 close friends who are GP's and everyone recommends the jab.

Nothing is ever 100% safe, but it's weighing the risk of the vaccine problems against the A/H1N1 virus and for my wife and I we're going for the jab for ourselves and our children.
Old 28 November 2009, 02:14 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

If youre in at at-risk group then you should have it.

I know someone who has died from swine flu (>pneumonia>organ failure) and they were apparently fit.
Old 28 November 2009, 03:09 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

as far as ime concerned they can keep it . i am very sceptical about all jabs . i have 3 children 2 of which are normal the 1st was given the mmr jab and guess what shock supprise he has asd . he went all quiet and withdrawn and inside himself within a day of being given the jab and was never the same after . when we where asked to have the other 2 done with mmr i said to the nurse ok no problem sign this letter saying i can sue you personally if ryan of chantelle develope asd or aspergers and you can give it to them .. both her and doctor refused to sign my letter no supprise there then .
Old 29 November 2009, 12:11 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xx-IAN-xX
lol do you not realise that your local pharmist is more educated thanh your doctor
Complete rubbish!

And just to confirm that, our local pharmacist diagnosed my lads chicken pox as a "mere rash" to which our doc laughed and confirmed it as CP the same day as even us mere mortals believed it was the pox.
Old 29 November 2009, 05:58 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had it, dead arm for a day and not much else. Most of the guys in work feel a bit groggy at worst, except for the office slacker who turned it into his next excuse for not doing anything
Old 29 November 2009, 08:59 AM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Complete rubbish!

And just to confirm that, our local pharmacist diagnosed my lads chicken pox as a "mere rash" to which our doc laughed and confirmed it as CP the same day as even us mere mortals believed it was the pox.

No not complete rubbish ,i was there ,think you will find a pharmacist is better qualified than your local GP . Take it from the time of your post you were probably under the influence

Forgot to say the pharmacist is a family friend and this is not just his view but the view of many of his colleagues .

Last edited by Xx-IAN-xX; 29 November 2009 at 09:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Swine Flu Jab