Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Is the World doomed or are be being conned?
Yes the World is doomed and the science behind it is good
15.79%
No, there's no problem, we are being conned by just a few
84.21%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Climate change, real or not?

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2009, 11:01 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate change, real or not?

Read the following, is this factual are we being screwed, or is the World doomed unless we go back to cave man days?

Are we making the most expensive mistake in history? As climate change scientists are accused of fiddling their figures, the author of a devastating new book says the world is NOT getting hotter - and we're about to spend billions on a problem that d
Old 24 November 2009, 11:12 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

There should be a 3rd option on your poll : 'Yes the world is doomed, but whether it's because of mankind is impossible to tell & also largely irrelevant since there's absolutely nothing that can be done about it even if the entire world stopped producing carbon within the next 60 minutes'
Old 24 November 2009, 11:23 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Given the ridiculously loaded options available, if the "no" option doesn't win by more than a 5:1 ratio i'll run round the office naked. Why bother asking on a performance car forum; you know the foregone conclusion of an answer already don't you?
Old 24 November 2009, 11:29 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

What telboy said but without the naked office running.
Old 24 November 2009, 11:32 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Come on, don't you wanna see Tel with an indecent exposure conviction?
Old 24 November 2009, 11:36 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

No i met him once in london that is enough
Nice chap though.
Old 24 November 2009, 11:39 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted yes, not that I agree with the statement but purely because Tel being frogmarched off-site wearing nothing but a set of handcuffs is too good an opportunity to miss.
Old 24 November 2009, 11:42 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

There should be a "No it's all a con, mostly for tax generation, but it wouldn't harm to be more efficient and less polluting in general though" option.
Old 24 November 2009, 11:46 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

There has been a change in our climate, I have seen it happening over the years, there is a slightly more than subtle change in the weather we get generally in the seasons, especially summer and winter.

I do not believe it is due to the reasons that are being given by the world's governments or the scientists that they employ. The lie is given to all that by the fact that global temperatures are not increasing in the way they are telling us. I am sure that it is all being done with a view to extracting as much cash out of the people as possible for nefarious reasons, certainly not for the general good of the people anyway, but for the convenience of our leaders.

The changes we see will be influenced by civilisation to a degree, but the underlying reasons are due to the changes that have happened down the centuries and will continue to do so during the life of this planet. We have plenty of evidence for that in the past.

We must take care of the planet of course, but by use of common sense and responsible conservation, all the extreme actions proposed by our leaders are so much "guff".

Les
Old 24 November 2009, 11:46 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
I voted yes, not that I agree with the statement but purely because Tel being frogmarched off-site wearing nothing but a set of handcuffs is too good an opportunity to miss.

Vote seriously God damn you
Old 24 November 2009, 11:52 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

When the Dinosaurs were roaming about, the Earth was without a North & South Pole. Asteroid hit, causing an ice age. The North & South pole are remnants of that. The earth is just naturally going back to what is was.

Man can do nothing to change the earth. The earth is governed by one thing, and one thing only. Our Sun. It get hotter, so do we. It's gets cooler, so do we.
Old 24 November 2009, 11:54 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I personally believe that we as a species are not completely blameless as to what is happening to the planet. I also believe that it isn't entirely down to us.

Whether cars are the biggest contributor to climate change I'm not sure but I doubt its helping matters. Its interesting that "global warming" has now been replaced with "Climate change"

One thing I would say though, if cars aren't making any difference to the planet, why put pressure on manufacturers to build greener, cleaner cars?
Old 24 November 2009, 11:55 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

The author of the article in the first post, Chris Brooker, is not only a climate sceptic - he postulates that white asbestos & second hand cigarette smoke are harmless & is also a Darwin-hating creationist, so make of that what you will ...
Old 24 November 2009, 12:01 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I voted yes purely to help Telboy show his winkle to the office fruits.
Old 24 November 2009, 12:19 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MJW
The author of the article in the first post, Chris Brooker, is not only a climate sceptic - he postulates that white asbestos & second hand cigarette smoke are harmless & is also a Darwin-hating creationist, so make of that what you will ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Booker

I bet he's top of the list at all the best dinner parties.
Old 24 November 2009, 12:26 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by stilover
When the Dinosaurs were roaming about, the Earth was without a North & South Pole. Asteroid hit, causing an ice age. The North & South pole are remnants of that. The earth is just naturally going back to what is was.

Man can do nothing to change the earth. The earth is governed by one thing, and one thing only. Our Sun. It get hotter, so do we. It's gets cooler, so do we.
Whilst I agree with your sentiments about our inability to change things, the opening statement is just simply incorrect.

The Earth has had north and south poles long before the dinosaurs. They are periodically covered in ice, as now, but not always, but they are not a result of the KT impact.

Geezer
Old 24 November 2009, 12:34 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
I dont know anything about white asbestos but I do know the statistical evidence for second hand smoke being as harmful as claimed is indeed non-existant and misrepresented, so on that point I totally agree.
Old 24 November 2009, 12:38 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

The Earth has always had North and South poles, its got to spin around something

Telboy you can't go commando on a day that you're working from home
Old 24 November 2009, 01:01 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Isn't 1-2% of it cars & the rest down to Big Industry not likely to stop anytime soon.

TX.

Originally Posted by MJW
There should be a 3rd option on your poll : 'Yes the world is doomed, but whether it's because of mankind is impossible to tell & also largely irrelevant since there's absolutely nothing that can be done about it even if the entire world stopped producing carbon within the next 60 minutes'
Old 24 November 2009, 01:11 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Just the earth going through a natural repeatable cycle IMHO. But used as an excuse to generate more cash through taxation. Unfortunately aimed mostly at transportation at the moment as that the easiest target !

Richard
Old 24 November 2009, 01:19 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The climate is always changing. We did have an ice age long ago.

Man made? Piffle. We can't stop cows from farting.
Old 24 November 2009, 01:21 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

the thing thats missed is we realy don;t know, we are talkign about millions of years history that we don't have the data for. I agree with trying to save resources, but as far as climate change, who knows.
Old 24 November 2009, 01:38 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

It heats up & it cools down over days, weeks, years, centuries, millions of years, billions of years ... taxation is the only reason the Govt are interested

TX.

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
Just the earth going through a natural repeatable cycle IMHO
Old 24 November 2009, 02:58 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Money making ploy, the amount of carbon dioxide that comes out of humans, animals, plants vastly outweighs the amount given out by vehicles and industry.

What next they end up taxing us for breathing. There was a funny story on sky news where a guy was saying that we should stop eating cows due to the amount of methane that they produce which will cause the world to warm by 5 degrees in the next 100 or so years. Another guy on there just kept saying to the skeptic, do you want the polar bears to die. FFS how the hell did they manage to survive a few thousand years ago when temperatures were alot hotter.

What they are doing is making a solution to match the end results, if you look at carbon levels they go up after a hot period not before as they try to show to us all.
Old 24 November 2009, 02:58 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I wonder if the scientists/government will pay back all the 'green taxes' that they have charged us when they are proven wrong.
Old 24 November 2009, 03:51 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

The data 'apparently' shows that overall world temperatures have dropped in the last decade. Historically the Worlds temperatures have gone up and down before.

I firmly believe that mankind should look after the world we live in, it makes common sense to respect our environment. I dont know that there is the science to determine we are destroying it with CO2 and other gasses.

I dont believe that raising taxes on things we need to do is the right way, particularly as this huge extra revenue is not set at a serious level. That is at a level that disuades us from doing things. Nor is the revenue used to offset our damage. Sadly it just seems to be a damn good way for the Worlds governments to increase revenue.

Sensible changes in regulation (co2 output etc) will drive innovation. But its not easy to feel I need to cut down on using my car when I hear that 12 of the worlds biggest ships put out more CO2 than all the cars in the world put together and there's little control over ships, etc etc
Old 24 November 2009, 06:41 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Given the ridiculously loaded options available, if the "no" option doesn't win by more than a 5:1 ratio i'll run round the office naked. Why bother asking on a performance car forum; you know the foregone conclusion of an answer already don't you?
I hope your office is warm Tel
Old 24 November 2009, 07:13 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
But its not easy to feel I need to cut down on using my car when I hear that 12 of the worlds biggest ships put out more CO2 than all the cars in the world put together and there's little control over ships, etc etc
Can you point to some evidence to back that up please mate? I'm sure I remember hearing something along the same lines a while ago, but it sounds *so* unlikely...

One good thing might come out of all the eco-worrying, though, and it's nothing to do with CO2. It's to do with oil, which *will* run out - and when it does, the world will be thrown into turmoil the likes of which we've never seen. At least if we've made some meaningful progress toward alternative energy sources by then, western civilisation has a hope of remaining intact.
Old 24 November 2009, 07:30 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

all a loads of nads . didnt anyone see the program on the telly about the sweedish scientists that proved the earths temperature is related to the planets seas which ahave a 50 year temperature memory of solar explosions that took place on the sun 250 years ago . proven by the indusrtial revolution years when the smog was in london . but guess what it snowed every year . oh and there was less solar explosions on the sun 250years previously to that proving their theory . funny how goverments withdrew their funding before they could blow the global warming myth out the window
Old 24 November 2009, 07:33 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Can you point to some evidence to back that up please mate? I'm sure I remember hearing something along the same lines a while ago, but it sounds *so* unlikely...

One good thing might come out of all the eco-worrying, though, and it's nothing to do with CO2. It's to do with oil, which *will* run out - and when it does, the world will be thrown into turmoil the likes of which we've never seen. At least if we've made some meaningful progress toward alternative energy sources by then, western civilisation has a hope of remaining intact.
i remember reading somewhere that the worlds largest container ship yses something like 223thousand tonnes less oil because its hull was painted with a special paint . in a year . makes you wonder just how much they all use . with or without the paint

Quick Reply: Climate change, real or not?