Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone Here Signed Up To Private Banking?

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2009, 06:58 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone Here Signed Up To Private Banking?

Are these accounts worth having?

Are the 'benefits' used, or are the Services too limited (not Whole of Market?)
Old 19 November 2009, 07:31 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is just another way for insolvent banks to take your money off you, in this case trying to make you feel specially selected because you have a bob or two. The benefits and poor advice did not appear to me to be worth the control I would be giving up when it was offered.
Old 19 November 2009, 07:41 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Thanks John.

I did wonder about the quality of the 'extras'. The Tax advice and Family Wealth Transfer schemes seemed attractive.

But, obviously, they will want the funds to remain with them ... I doubt they would recommend other financial products other than their own (or do they have a duty of care to actually advise on whole market options?).

There is no charge for the Account if certain conditions are met.
Old 19 November 2009, 08:56 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

You have to add up what the benefits are really worth e.g. do you really need them.

It's also nice to walk in the branch of TSB on the Kings Road and get the lift to the private banking area in the basement lower ground floor away from the great unwashed...
Old 19 November 2009, 09:44 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
You have to add up what the benefits are really worth e.g. do you really need them.

It's also nice to walk in the branch of TSB on the Kings Road and get the lift to the private banking area in the basement lower ground floor away from the great unwashed...
I have private banking With the RBOS because they were offering a better rate on my morgage. I don't go into the bank they come and see me.

Runs of to find ***** waving smiley..
Old 19 November 2009, 09:47 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Jer
I have private banking With the RBOS because they were offering a better rate on my morgage. I don't go into the bank they come and see me.

Runs of to find ***** waving smiley..
TSB sends me a private jet and a maybach to take me to the bank
Old 19 November 2009, 09:54 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

First Direct send a jet, a Maybach and I get a blow job on the way to the branch off a Kelly Brook look-a-like.

And a porcelain pig

Steve

Last edited by Steve vRS; 19 November 2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 20 November 2009, 06:35 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve vRS
First Direct send a jet, a Maybach and I get a blow job on the way to the branch off a Kelly Brook look-a-like.

And a porcelain pig

Steve
You get a BJ off a Kelly Brook look-a-like and a porcelain pig.. not sure I like the sound of that ..
Old 20 November 2009, 07:52 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

There are many variants on the spectrum of 'premier' to 'private' banking.

Premier banking brings some good free benefits.

Private banking is a whole different kettle of fish - usually done with a private bank - so you never even see the great unwashed
Old 20 November 2009, 08:11 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I use Cater Allen, but don't use an IFA as I prefer to look after my own money.

The most striking difference is being able to reach someone. First, a real person answers the phone. Second, they actually know what they're talking about. Third, you get the impression they're not a complete retard.
Old 20 November 2009, 08:41 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I used Morgan Stanley's private banking service for a while, but to be honest i'm not of the calibre to make the most of the services they offered. If i want to book a plane flight, i book one. I don't need somebody to do it for me. It's a clever marketing tool to make people think "they're worth it" but in reality you're just being lazy if you think these private banking schemes can add value to your lifestyle, in my opinion.
Old 20 November 2009, 08:41 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I've not been offered a private jet or a BJ off a porcelain pig .. wouldn't be too keen on either, to be honest

I very rarely have contact with the Bank, except via online Banking. The Private Banking would be free for me, except that I currently get 4% on my Current Account - it's a lot less on the Private Banking Current Account (I guess that could be considered the 'charge'?).

Thanks for your comments.
Old 20 November 2009, 08:42 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jer

Runs of

Staggering. Sorry, but it is.
Old 20 November 2009, 08:49 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Staggering. Sorry, but it is.
Could have been an unfinished collective noun?

A run of diarrhoea perhaps ?

Old 20 November 2009, 09:30 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I reckon you may ave to 'sign off' before you sign on with Coutts and co. Pete
Old 20 November 2009, 10:00 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It’s the banking equivalent of Business Class travel

Normal Banking -- with added peanuts

PS the really nice thing about it is you get a dedicated person to speak to -- so no need to remember your mothers maiden name together with your favourite holiday destination and your last 5 transactions – before you can order a cheque book

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 20 November 2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 20 November 2009, 10:46 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

As mentioned above, there is a whole world of difference between premium banking (business class) and private banking (private jet) - most of you are just talking about forms of premium banking e.g. HSBC premium, where the qualifying tests are income of circa £75-100k and net assets ( i.e. unencumbered assets of £1/4m+.

HSBC Private Bank requires net assets of £5m+... and the level of service is totally different - for starters, you wouldn't dream of going to anything as vulgar as a branch whether it's to a "premium" room in the basement with a far more sophisticated a/c manager (i.e they have a self tied rather than clip on tie and their shirts are guaranteed to be no more than 40% polyester ). They will come to you wherever and whenever you want.

As another example, Citibank has a "Personal" banking sub brand for the £1m -£5m types and Private banking above that.
Old 20 November 2009, 10:50 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Not really sure I see the need. Most of the "benefits" you already get with other insurances and the like.

As for speaking to one person, my recent dealings with HSBC business accounts manager have been all with one person and always very good service.

My current bank is Halifax and I'm so looking foward to going in there and sticking two fingers up at them. Flaming shower of a bank and the new OD charges have tipped the scales for me to move. I think HSBC will want me to change to them as a previso that they'll lend me a big wodge of cash for a business. If they don't mind I'll be using First Direct.

We use Cater Allen quite a bit but they've gone off the boil recently since becoming part of the Santander group. Scottish Widows 7 day business bank account is offering 2% if you go through an intermediary.
Old 20 November 2009, 11:45 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

PSLewis posts thread alluding to his massive (fictional) wealth......... Troll

Those of us that actually have that sort of cash don't brag about it It's considered quite vulgar. Only council estate lottery instant millionaires need apply.....
Old 20 November 2009, 11:49 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

PSLewis posts thread alluding to his massive (fictional) wealth......... Troll

....and blows it by mixing up only one step up from ordinary banking with real private banking, which is about 10 steps up...
Old 20 November 2009, 11:54 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Originally Posted by TopBanana
I use Cater Allen, but don't use an IFA as I prefer to look after my own money.

The most striking difference is being able to reach someone. First, a real person answers the phone. Second, they actually know what they're talking about. Third, you get the impression they're not a complete retard.
+1 - Cater Allen are very good indeed, they answer the phone in 2-3 rings and I have never spoken to anyone that wasn't based in this country and had a very good grasp of the English language. The only downside is they don't pay any interest on balances less than £250k
Old 20 November 2009, 11:55 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.natwest.com/private/priva...xperience.ashx

dubious value for money...........but I can just pick up the phone and speak to Mike or Craig without having all that call centre malarkey

Shaun
Old 20 November 2009, 10:46 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Why do you guys need to talk/liase with your banks so much? I just have to make sure my moooooooosive wedge of cash is in the highest yielding acct. Simple really. You guys should have tried harder at school.
Old 20 November 2009, 10:57 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Having cash brought to the house and never having entered a bank has its merits. As does the thrown in tax service, cheaper mortgages (if required) and dedicated phone line. All the other concierge services are gimmicks for the lazy really.
Old 20 November 2009, 11:16 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Why do you guys need to talk/liase with your banks so much? I just have to make sure my moooooooosive wedge of cash is in the highest yielding acct.
Because some people don't need to rely on interest rates...
Old 20 November 2009, 11:28 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why can't Dingdongler drop the pretence he is Sunnysideup / Mr ree / PSL Etc
Old 24 November 2009, 12:58 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
Are these accounts worth having?

Are the 'benefits' used, or are the Services too limited (not Whole of Market?)
For me, yes.

Many of the "benefits" are superfluous to my requirements, but the quality of service - I arranged two mortgages and three unsecured loans (as part of a major relocation) over the phone - is well worth the £18 a month charges alone.

Factor in free insurance, reduced loan rates, enhanced savings rates, free warranties on electrical goods, travel insurance, etc, etc, etc, and it pays for itself many times over.

Not sure what he "control" issue is? I have full control over all aspects of my banking.
Old 24 November 2009, 01:01 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

But again, DD, that's premier banking you're talking, not private banking, right?
Old 24 November 2009, 01:02 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Oh and who still does extended warranties please? I was flippin' annoyed when Barclays jacked that in about three years ago! I would consider an account with somebody who still offered that benefit.
Old 24 November 2009, 01:10 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Devildog

Factor in free insurance, reduced loan rates, enhanced savings rates, free warranties on electrical goods, travel insurance, etc, etc, etc, and it pays for itself many times over.
Apart from the rates, you get the above with credit cards. Much of the "add ons" most people already have with other services they pay for. The banks work on the basis you don't realise this and pay twice.

We have clients with vast amounts of wealth who are perfectly happy with the mundane run of the mill accounts and have managed quite nicely without these extra gimmicks.

Oh, and you most certainly don't need 6 figure sums to get bank staff to come to your house. I arranged for a bank clerk to go to a clients house to pick up a mere 5 figure cheque as the client was pretty much house bound.

I have nothing even remotely interesting in my bank account but I speak to one person in our local HSBC regarding business matters - and the business isn't international diamond mining.

These things are more a symbol of status rather than bank accounts and thats another reason why the banks win again because people think its cool to have a posh sounding bank account.

Its such cobblers its untrue.

Last edited by EddScott; 24 November 2009 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone Here Signed Up To Private Banking?