Uk Gives 1.5m to poor countries to improve road safety

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2009, 08:20 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uk Gives 1.5m to poor countries to improve road safety

BBC News : UK to pay for safer roads abroad

The funding is being provided by the Department for International Development, which has already given £3.5m for research on improving the design and quality of transport in Africa and Asia.

That's nice.
Old 19 November 2009, 08:55 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Why ?
Would not we be better as a country to sort the problem out here without trying to solve problems abroad out ?

I wont even comment about the state of the road here and we go and give cash away to fix others peoples roads !

Richard
Old 19 November 2009, 08:56 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

On the face of it you would think it ridiculous, but, I'm sure there is a benefit in kind to come back to the UK.

Plus, the amounts involved are tiny .....
Old 19 November 2009, 09:13 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Years back I was involved in some roads projects in Africa. We sent some roads engineers out and they taught locals the basics. Technology transfer were the buzz words!

Worked quite well actually and a pretty efficient use of aid funds.

dl
Old 19 November 2009, 09:15 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Quite frankly i am suprised that we as a country can afford to give our money away with the crippling debts/borrowing that we have.

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp

Plus, the amounts involved are tiny .....
I would rather see these 'tiny' amounts put into the likes of childline where they will make a considerable difference...
Old 19 November 2009, 09:18 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Years back I was involved in some roads projects in Africa. We sent some roads engineers out and they taught locals the basics. Technology transfer were the buzz words!

Worked quite well actually and a pretty efficient use of aid funds.

dl
And let some of the richer African nations fund the schemes of the poorer nations, perhaps South Africa would have been wiser to invest the money spen on preparing and running the next world cup - spend it on the other African nations that need help, food, aid instead of a footie tournament that can be held anywhere.
Old 19 November 2009, 09:51 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

it is not a lot of money on the face of it, but our roads are being allowed to deteriorate seriously until it will become too expensive to repair them!

Les
Old 19 November 2009, 10:36 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Quite frankly i am suprised that we as a country can afford to give our money away with the crippling debts/borrowing that we have.

I would rather see these 'tiny' amounts put into the likes of childline where they will make a considerable difference...

Far better that we spend our money on wars we shouldn't be involved in, nuclear weapons and jet fighters that we will never need to say nothing of Trident and some new battleships. Oh and making sure bankers can afford a few Porsches!

It's a question of balance Paul and I'm all for spending a pittance on helping a few families in Africa rather than on spoilt UK kids whose parents have let them down. And I have to sit through Comic Relief as well

And I forgot to mention the Olympics. Far too expensive and time it was split into say 6 EC countries each taking on a sport that suits them. david
Old 19 November 2009, 10:54 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
BBC News : UK to pay for safer roads abroad

The funding is being provided by the Department for International Development, which has already given £3.5m for research on improving the design and quality of transport in Africa and Asia.

That's nice.

Wow once again the SN majority massively misses the point.

Improving the road network in poor African countries is one of the most effective ways to improve quality of life (that’s what our overseas aid budget is for Paul). If we can help improve their transport network, aid flows more easily, less people starve to death, commerce has a better chance of success and ultimately we’ll need to be less involved in the future. We should all applaud and encourage this, not just use it as an excuse to attack the government.
Old 19 November 2009, 11:48 AM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by Martin2005

Improving the road network in poor African countries is one of the most effective ways to improve quality of life (that’s what our overseas aid budget is for Paul). If we can help improve their transport network, aid flows more easily, less people starve to death, commerce has a better chance of success and ultimately we’ll need to be less involved in the future. We should all applaud and encourage this, not just use it as an excuse to attack the government.
Once again the green peace warrior that reads the daily mail has missed the point massively......

The roads round my way are so bad its difficult to drive some of them if you care about you car, the pot hioles are so big knackered suspension is the norm, we shiould sort our own house out before we sort someone elses!

FIX OUR ROADS FIRST!
Old 19 November 2009, 12:08 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh, oh, I'm soooooooooo upset that some African countries' road networks aren't up to much.

They should come here and pay £5.40 to cross a bridge every time they go to the major hospital.
Or drive on the crap roads full of potholes and speedbumps, with standing water everywhere since no gullies are ever cleaned out, populated by speed scameras taking even more of our hard earned money.

CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME: PAY OFF THE HUMBER BRIDGE DEBT, UNITE HUMBERSIDE NOW!!!!!
Old 19 November 2009, 12:53 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BBC
Some of the world's poorest countries are to receive a cash injection of £1.5m from the UK government to help improve road safety.

Road accidents are now a bigger cause of death than malaria in developing countries, with one person dying on the roads every 30 seconds.

The funding will pay for pedestrian crossings and better road markings.

It was announced at the first ministerial global road safety summit, which was held in Moscow.

Minister for Development Gareth Thomas said the road safety statistics in developing countries were "shocking".

"I want to see this funding make a real impact on reducing casualty numbers where it's needed most. It will help with implementing basic safety measures," he said.

"Statistics show that the UK has some of the safest roads in the world. We must use our expertise to help developing countries meet the safety standards that we take for granted."

Once again Martin2005 misses the point.

Maybe they need Speed Cameras??
Old 19 November 2009, 01:06 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
I sympathise with your sentiment - childrens charities are what I support.

I would like every penny spent on bullets in Afghanistan to also go to some such child charity - but, the world isn't like that, is it? There are pots of money allocated to different areas, and rightly so.

You could always increase your contribution to Childline, maybe raise some sponsorship too? As you rightly imply - every little helps.
Old 19 November 2009, 01:53 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
Once again the green peace warrior that reads the daily mail has missed the point massively......

The roads round my way are so bad its difficult to drive some of them if you care about you car, the pot hioles are so big knackered suspension is the norm, we shiould sort our own house out before we sort someone elses!

FIX OUR ROADS FIRST!
You'll have to help me out here because I don't know what the BNP's transport policy is
Old 19 November 2009, 02:01 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Are you lot being delliberately thick or what

This programme isn't being funded out of the UK transport budget, it's funded from the Oversea Development budget. This does exactly what it says on the tin!

Unless of course you believe that we shouldn't be helping fund oversea development, but surely no one is that daft...are they?
Old 19 November 2009, 02:12 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Unless of course you believe that we shouldn't be helping fund oversea development, but surely no one is that daft...are they?
do you really need to ask that question?-- on xenophobianet.com of all places
Old 19 November 2009, 02:23 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

If we spend a little bit of cash over there perhaps none of them will want to come here. Sounds like a great plan to me could save the tax payer hundreds of millions.
Old 19 November 2009, 02:26 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
If we spend a little bit of cash over there perhaps none of them will want to come here. Sounds like a great plan to me could save the tax payer hundreds of millions.
No don't be silly that would pressume that some of this lot had thought it through
Old 19 November 2009, 02:33 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
we make far more from Africa in terms trade (Guns and Oil) than we give them in aid

we are a net winner -- Africa is a net looser -- hope this brightens peoples day
Old 19 November 2009, 10:40 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

You'll have to help me out here because I don't know what the BNP's transport policy is
Darkies are only allowed to be conductors, not drivers.

Steve
Old 19 November 2009, 10:45 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
What should happen is that said *poor* country should send someone/some people to the UK to see if what we do has any benefits for them. They should then take those lessons, if any, back to their *poor* country for implementation. Cost to us? About zilch! Job done.

Oh damn. I see the flaw. Our 'Overseas Aid' people wouldn't get a suntan so easily if they didn't go on their overseas jaunts ... um, work ... um ....

Dave
Hard to put into words the utter despair I have at some of the things you post

Do you understand the consequences of us and other major powers waking up one morning and deciding to not fund aid and development?
Old 19 November 2009, 11:40 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

We should pay 1.5M to get non-domilciles off OUR roads. I can NOT believe the state of some of the cars that are driving the Queens Highways in Hertfordshire.

Some of the cars are not even 4 wheel drive!! Those that aren't 4 wheel drive or Porches tend to be driven by the "Less Fortunate" who appear to adapt a laisse faire approach to the laws of the road in Great Britain.

Well, Excuse me but I do give a damn about this - I'm rather miffed about being blinded by poorly aligned headlights or surprised (unpleasantly) by cars driving without headlights!

It isn't hard to go to a local Subaru / Porsche / BMW dealership to get your car serviced!!

I fully support our Great British Plod pulling these people off the road and crushing their cars - I WOULD just say that the process should be filmed and then made available online.
Old 19 November 2009, 11:58 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

i wouldn't get hung up on things like this, donations such as this can get the foot in the door for uk business thatwill then return 10 times the amount in tax for work carried out on uk soil (trust me this is true, i work for a company that pays the tax)
Old 20 November 2009, 12:19 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One and a half million is a lot of money isn't it?
Old 20 November 2009, 12:23 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

in the grand scheme of things nope. you'd be amazed on how much money is involved with construction even in todays economy.
Old 20 November 2009, 12:46 AM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Once again Martin2005 misses the point.

Maybe they need Speed Cameras??
Great idea!

Sell them for the price they were when they were new, and voila, you made a killing!

I guess it would be a novelty!
Old 20 November 2009, 07:16 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 20 November 2009, 07:18 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Oh, oh, I'm soooooooooo upset that some African countries' road networks aren't up to much.

They should come here and pay £5.40 to cross a bridge every time they go to the major hospital.
Or drive on the crap roads full of potholes and speedbumps, with standing water everywhere since no gullies are ever cleaned out, populated by speed scameras taking even more of our hard earned money.

CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME: PAY OFF THE HUMBER BRIDGE DEBT, UNITE HUMBERSIDE NOW!!!!!
+1, some of the roads around here are absolutely shocking.

Quick Reply: Uk Gives 1.5m to poor countries to improve road safety