10.17%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Stay in the Uk or Emigrate where?

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2009, 05:57 PM
HI SOOB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stay in the Uk or Emigrate where?

With so many people becoming fed up with many aspects of the UK, it would appear that there are many of us heading overseas for a better quality of life in many ways.

As a family we are heading over to Canada next year to spend a few months looking at areas we like, then look at schooling, crime rates etc etc with a view to moving there if all the boxes are ticked. To be honest, I dont think we will find it hard to decide that life would be better there. Its more down to having the bottle to do it!

Anyway, might as well run a poll and see where folk would go, if anywhere.

Perhaps many of us would be happy to stay here in Blighty??
Old 07 November 2009, 06:17 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HI SOOB
With so many people becoming fed up with many aspects of the UK, it would appear that there are many of us heading overseas for a better quality of life in many ways.

As a family we are heading over to Canada next year to spend a few months looking at areas we like, then look at schooling, crime rates etc etc with a view to moving there if all the boxes are ticked. To be honest, I dont think we will find it hard to decide that life would be better there. Its more down to having the bottle to do it!

Anyway, might as well run a poll and see where folk would go, if anywhere.

Perhaps many of us would be happy to stay here in Blighty??

to cold in canada dubai for me
Old 07 November 2009, 06:25 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Where in Canada are you going to be looking at?

How are you planning on getting over here (I'm living in Canada), by that I mean what immigration route are you going to use. I ask as it's really not as simple as turning up at Pearson airport in Toronto and say "We'd like to live in Canada". There are classes such as PNP (Provincial Nominee Programme), FSW (Federal Skilled Worker), BUNAC (Umm, some University thing), Intra-company Transferee (This is how I got here, is one of the most simple ways in, but you'd need to work for a UK company that can transfer you to their Canadian office), Family Sponsorship (This is how I obtained Permanent Residence, my wife, who is a Canadain citizen, sponsored me).

I am more than happy to blather on about the immigration process and pro's and cons of Canada, so feel free to PM/Email me This goes for anyone else interested in Canada.

I would also recommend popping over to The British Expats Forum (this is the section for Canada) and having a read of the Wiki and the various threads, and have a search for things and also post up questions. It is a very helpful forum full of people who have made the move, and those considering it.
Old 07 November 2009, 06:34 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick schofield
Pffft. Big girls blouse Just kidding. The cold here is, well, it is cold, but it's a dry cold rather than the UK's damp cold. It can be -20 here and I'm quite happy, but -1 in the UK and I really feel it due to the damp. Not unusual to see, with windchill, temps of up to -30.

Summer can be rather warm too, which is nice. Have seen up to +30 during the summer (Was a rather warm +32 in montreal a couple of years ago whilst at the F1. Bloody horrible on the Metro (underground) going back in that temp though)

I'd say the climate here is similar to the UK, less rain, a bit more warmth in the summer and obviously a lot colder in the winter, but overall it's better, or certainly I think it is. Oh, and the place does not shut down when there is an inch of snow overnight But you have to put up with maple syrup loving people who say Aboot a lot
Old 07 November 2009, 06:41 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Canada or America(California)
Old 07 November 2009, 08:18 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Would America but without serious money it is not possible but would like to split between there and Spain to get around the 90 day visa thing.
Old 07 November 2009, 08:32 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Not sure on the stats but they say 70% who emigrate come back within 5 years as it's sunny but still shoite abroad ??

Last edited by what would scooby do; 07 November 2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07 November 2009, 08:35 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

USA vs Canada is an interesting one. They are rather similar, but I think Canada wins it for me, but then I am biased, however, I have traveled to the US a fair bit for work and play, so it's not as if I have never been there.

Getting a Green Card / Work Permit for the US is a lot harder than getting one for Canada. We had a US office and originally wanted to relocate there, but US Immigration just really didn't want to allow this. They really did see it as stealing jobs from Americans. They didn't see we were a rather niche company and as such, we'd need to be in the US for at least six months to see if the market is as good as we thought it was, and thus until we were sure on that front, there's no point employing US citizens as if the market wasn't there, we'd have to close things down.
There is also the fact that training up tech staff would take a minimum of six months, so again, no point training them if we're off in six months. So we were not actually stealing jobs, as there were very, very few people who could actually walk in and do the job right off the bat.

In comparison to this, Canada welcomed us with open arms and made it incredibly easy for us to move staff from the UK office to the newly opened Canadian one. Put it this way, we hired an immigration lawyer to write up some standard stuff, listing what we do, how many Canadian clients we have, and that we'd like to use the intra-company transfree route. We then had a letter from our MD detailing who I was, what my position in the company was and how long I'd worked there, plus I think my salary. I supplied a CV detailing my work experience.
I turned up at Pearson airport in Toronto, said I wanted to apply for a work-permit, handed over the paperwork, 45 mins later I have a work permit valid for a year (locked into current employer though) and am eligible for OHIP (Ontario healthcare), which is very handy indeed.

Talking of healthcare, that's one of the other things that put me off the US. I really don't like their healthcare system. We all know it's Nixon's fault, that he thought the HMO plan, when first described to him was a good idea, and since then it's been a case of if you get ill you're going to need to pay. I know the NHS is far from perfect, but it's at least there if you need it.

Thankfully Canada, well certainly Ontario has an NHS like system, which is great. I've made much use of Walk-in clinics for repeat prescriptions and never had a problem. At some point I'll sort out getting a GP.

I'm not totally against the US, there are some very nice areas, for example, I've spent a few days in Black Earth and Mazomain in Wisconsin and the people are very friendly indeed.
Old 07 November 2009, 08:37 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Where is the Vietnam vote for history and temples not the lady boys.
Old 07 November 2009, 08:50 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamie
Where is the Vietnam vote for history and temples not the lady boys.
Question is, would you emigrate just for the history and temples? I think you need a little more than that, otherwise I'd say you'll return somewhat quickly.
Old 07 November 2009, 08:53 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

It is a big place markus and not far from japan/australia/China
Old 07 November 2009, 09:39 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

i've been looking in to moving to Canada.should be out the sometime next year for a holiday
Old 07 November 2009, 09:46 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I would consider either America or Australia. I'm tempted to look for work in Australia now as I don't think they have been affected by the global crisis as much as other countries and considering I work on the buildings, work needs to be good before I would even consider moving
Old 07 November 2009, 10:08 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like and hopefully will go back and live in Czech...
Old 07 November 2009, 10:16 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick schofield
Why would anyone want to live in a Muslim country?

US or Switzerland for me.
Old 07 November 2009, 10:44 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Youll always be a british subject - yo cant get away
Old 07 November 2009, 10:49 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Who the bloody hell want to live in Canuck country anyway

- Too hot in summer , way too cold in winter , nobody there , possiblity been eaten by bears, chance being mistook for a yank
Old 07 November 2009, 10:54 PM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Try Aus. We moved here 2 years ago [currently on a 457 working visa but going for residency].

Started in Brisbane. Summers are HOT AND HUMID in the extreme but the Winters are fantastic. Months without a cloud and about 20 to 25 degrees.

Currently working in Adelaide. This winter was wet and cold but now 38 degrees [dry heat]

Fantastic place and they drive on the right side of the road.....which helps

Roo
Old 07 November 2009, 10:59 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

38 degrees......I'd sooner be cold that live in that.
Old 07 November 2009, 11:39 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Seychelles. Buy a three apartment villa, rent two out and live in the third. dl
Old 07 November 2009, 11:46 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

It depends on what (if any) other language you can speak and what skills you have re employment.

Brave move to take that step. A mate of mine did it and moved to NZ a couple of years back.

He was back in the UK 6 months (and £35k lighter) later as his wife hated it, despite their quality of life improving massively.

I chose Canada. My wife has family out there and we've been there a few times. Lovely place and so much SPACE!!!

Last edited by fatherpierre; 07 November 2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08 November 2009, 12:45 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I am still loyal to this country in spite of the attempts to destroy it in more recent times. I still have faith that the original British way of thinking is still there and that maybe it is possible to reverse what has been happening so far. This country was admired by the world for our attitude to life and more notably to others and I would far prefer to live under those conditions.

If all else failed then I would favour New Zealand which is still like the UK in many ways. It is a beautiful country and the people are easy to get on with. Good fishing too. Mrs Leslie lived there for some time before she had to return to look after her very ill father and would go back like a shot.

Les
Old 08 November 2009, 02:57 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

why put france/spain together? they are very different!

france I would, spain - no way jose!
Old 08 November 2009, 03:10 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Why would you move ? There are problems all over the world not just here, there are imigrants, murders etc all over . I personally like canada as a place to visit but could never in a milion years stomach living there. There is no perfect place and can you really imagine moving to a place with no friends no contacts and no connections, most of the dads side of my family live in canada but I would personally never want to move there even though on holliday it may seem like a good idea. People who struggle to create the life they want in the UK may not find it any easier abroad.
Old 08 November 2009, 05:03 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

co-incidentally Clarkson has written on just this subject this week...

Get me a rope before Mandelson wipes us all out | Jeremy Clarkson - Times Online
Old 08 November 2009, 05:22 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

France. Rural, in the Loire.
Old 08 November 2009, 08:41 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Barbados for me ....
Old 08 November 2009, 09:26 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I'll never leave the UK, apart from holidays.
Old 08 November 2009, 09:46 PM
shamone
Scooby Regular

I've only seen a very small part of Canada, but i've toured the US three times as well as staying with friends for a month a couple of hours drive from Washington; so have sampled the typical american lifestyle as well as being there on holiday.

I have to admit that it was amazing, and i can see why the yanks think it's the only place on earth.... they really do have everything: deserts, snowy mountains, forests, valleys and plains, space next to space, and some of the friendliest people you'll meet.

Me and the missus are seriously considering moving there in a few years once i'm fully qualified, probably california as we liked that the best so far - although we have to tour the mid south, florida and the north west yet, so that's far from decided.

If anyone's planning on holidaying over that way, try and take a drive down highway 129 in smokey mountains national park - driving heaven!!!

Quick Reply: Stay in the Uk or Emigrate where?