Orlando, Florida

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2009, 04:34 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orlando, Florida

Folks, Im heading to Orlando on November 10th for a weeks holidays

Just wondering have any of you lot ever been?

Any tips on must sees or places that definately cannot be missed over there (i know theres endless amounts of theme parks etc but whats the best to visit and whats not that important)??

Ive been told not to bother with tickets until i get there as it works out much cheaper but im unsure yet what to do? Im thinking Universal Studios, Kennedy Space Centre for defo, but what else is advisable to visit?

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated here
Old 01 November 2009, 04:53 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

My favourites were Busch Gardens and Animal Kingdom at Disney. Seaworld is pretty good too.
Old 01 November 2009, 05:20 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Yup, i`ll second Busch gardens and seaworld, I also liked universal studios. Your gonna be pushed for time with only one week. Be prepared to do a lot of driving. I went about 10 years ago and it was probably one of the best holidays i`ve ever had. Oh yea Epcot too
Say hello to Mickey for me...
Old 01 November 2009, 05:22 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

get a day out at st petes or daytona. universal, busch, seaworld, and if you're going to bring goods back, an afternoon in florida mall. remember your window wipers at about 4pm.
Old 01 November 2009, 05:25 PM
rob 666
Scooby Regular

universal studios islands of adventure is ace,seaworld is good as is busch gardens,gatorland is a good 1/2 a day out as well,if you get the chance space centre is intresting
Old 01 November 2009, 05:41 PM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

was there in may for the first time, awesome holiday, typhoon lagoon and blizzard beach water parks are great, disney parks seemed more for kids, but animal kingdom was good.

want to go back now!!
Old 01 November 2009, 07:17 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I would defiantly do sea world and Universal studios, and if you have kids, you have no choice, you WILL have to visit the Magic Kingdom.

In a week you will be pushed for time, and like Wayne said, be prepared to do a lot of driving. No lie ins and no early nights if you want to make the most of it.

I want to go back now! I haven't been for about 4 years as I am waiting for the nippers to get a bit older as it is very tiring for younger ones. If you have a child that is under 4 I would recommend a pushchair.

Also tips do not hire a car seat from the car hire company if you can help it, you can buy them from WallMart for half the price so if you can get someone to run to the supermarket for you, then you can save a bit of cash.
Also, if you eat at places like Ponderosa it is (or was) very cheap for an all you can eat breakfast buffet, and if you are quick you can fill up on a stash of cookies for the day ahead.
Old 01 November 2009, 08:12 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

If you have kids, Magic Kingdom is a must, if not give it a miss.

KSC is not to be missed. Especially as......

Date: Nov. 16
Mission: STS-129
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Atlantis
Launch Site: Kennedy Space Center - Launch Pad 39A
Launch Time: 2:28 p.m. EST
Landing: Nov. 27, 9:47 a.m. EST
Description: Space shuttle Atlantis will deliver components including two spare gyroscopes, two nitrogen tank assemblies, two pump modules, an ammonia tank assembly and a spare latching end effector for the station's robotic arm to the International Space Station.
Old 01 November 2009, 08:16 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

As said .Busch Gardens .
Animals for the kids and great rides as well .
Old 02 November 2009, 12:46 AM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice

Would i be better buying the tickets before i go or waiting until i get out there and get a feel for the place and see what i will have time for or what interests me??
Old 02 November 2009, 02:20 AM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

if you make it too the space center,take a run down too coco beach.worth it for the babes and to see the surf dudes doing their stuff.

beats warrinpoint anyday

on the tickets,wouldn't do any harm to buy the universal studio pass over here.gets you into quite a few things. we were lucky enough to get our disney pass'es for a bucket of popeye's chicken! a large group that were on their way home a few days after we arrived still had a few days left on theirs.
Old 02 November 2009, 03:46 AM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Heres something no-one else has mentioned. When I was in Orlando, Florida some years ago we went to a shooting gallery. It was so much fun and it's something you could never do here in the UK. The place we went to was called Quickshots Shooting Gallery and was on 5490 International Drive in Orlando.
Definately worth a visit IMO.....enjoy the holiday
Old 02 November 2009, 03:58 AM
wayner845
Scooby Regular

dont bother with kennedy space centre ,its was massive dissapointment for me and the family,all the theme parks are awesome kids loved it.
Old 02 November 2009, 08:02 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

If you like water parks Typhoon Lagoon is awesome

Swimming with Dolphins was good in Discovery Cove [next to Seaworld]
Old 02 November 2009, 08:04 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I didn't enjoy the space centre, although the last time I went was a loooong time ago, but it was boring enough not to re visit.
I am not sure if it's a good idea to wait, you might waste time discussing on where you want to go, and unless you go to the right places you might end up with dodgy tickets. Getting at least a set of tickets for Universal/Busch Gardens and maybe The Magic Kingdom would probably not be a bad idea.

As for cocoa beach, it's ok, a lovely white sandy beach, but remember all the 'babes' will be either at work or back in college (uni) as it's not their summer time and normal service will be resumed. You will get a fair few, but they will probably be holiday makers with their family, partners etc, so not worth a trip 'just' for that.

Hope you have a good trip.
Old 02 November 2009, 08:10 AM
Scrappy9
Scooby Regular

Wet and Wild water park is very good - agree with earlier posts Busch Gardens is excellent.

Go to Old Town on Saturday night there is a car cruise, starts around 2pm when all the cars are parked up - the owners are only to willing to discuss their cars - there were 600plus cars (loads of late 60's early 70 muscle cars) when I was there in August - they fire them up at around 7.30. - only down side is trying to park, its mega popular - I think Tuesday nights there is a bike meeting, but you will need to check.

I found boggy creek airboats a bit of a let down - but if you have never done it before its probably worth going.

Orlando Premium outlets was good for shopping - at least my daughters thought so.
Old 02 November 2009, 08:23 AM
Jer
Scooby Regular

The air boat ride was very good if you want to get away from the crowds.
Old 02 November 2009, 09:42 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I never thought to mention the water parks, I think with a week to visit in you might be better to pick at least one, I think that both Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon are both worth a look, but I was pregnant at the time, so didn't get to do a lot to my full advantage.

I agree that a visit to the old town on evening is worth it. There are a few shops to look about, most of which seems pretty commercialized, but there are some of the old school salt water taffy machines and a few other cultural type things.
The cars are also great, it can be a bit noisy for little ones but not to an extent where I would worry about mine, but if they are easily upset then some of those old 'pops' withe their V8's can be a bit loud. They don't drive fast or anything, barely about a few mph to be honest. It's a great evening to end the day on, but depending on when you arrive, don't leave it until your due to leave as you will probably be too shattered to do it if your pretty busy.
Old 02 November 2009, 10:56 AM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

Location: Daily drive is a Scoob again - just what it should be!

Don't envy you with only a week.............sooooo much to see, so little time!

I wouldn't recommend getting your tickets here as most of the ones on sale here are two weeks for price of one or 14 day pass - you are only going to need day passes so better to buy out there.

I would also suggest some sort of itinary before you go - work out what you want to do / see as a family & break it down into days - 7 days isn't long, but a water park will be a good 'rest' midweek!

Finally, for anyone else considering a trip, may I advise AGAINST going for Christmas! The whole world celebrate Christmas and guess where lots of them head......

Boxing Day in Magic Kingdom - gates closed at 11am as the park was full to capacity (85,000) oh it was such fun....................
Old 02 November 2009, 11:07 AM
rob 666
Scooby Regular

forgot the air boats,boggy creek is a must,awsome seeing the gators in thier natural enviroment,(also pretty damn cool flying around on an air boat)old town kissimee on a saturday night is also worth a visit for the cruise,so much to see your gonna wish you had two weeks,lol,enjoy ,also if you get the chance visit a steak house on the 192 (kissimee) called key w cools bit pricey but imo well worth a visit
Old 02 November 2009, 11:08 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Don't bother with the Citrus Tower, and watch out for the alligators, people have been known to take their dog for a walk and end up just with a lead! You will find more than enough to see though.

Les
Old 02 November 2009, 11:11 AM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

Boyo, you have to go and see the firework show and parade at the Magic Kingdom late at night, it's amazing...

Also don't let my misses navigate... it's hard enough driving a big MPV on the wrong side of the car and on the wrong side of the road without having to argue about missing an exit ramp because she didn't tell you how many other exits were before it and then end up miles away from where you are supposed to be and then spend the next 5 hours trying to find the way back to the hotel that was supposed to be less than an hour from the airport

International Drive is the place to be as that's were all of the action is

windyboy
Old 02 November 2009, 01:32 PM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

Busche gardens,magic kingdom takes you back even if you are old like me,kss,and i liked the lone cabbage airboats ride not far from cocoa beach. enjoy you will wish you had booked a month,if you get asked to go to timeshare exhibition i would go only takes about an hour then tell them your not interested and collect your free tickets for most attractions
Old 02 November 2009, 01:46 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrJim
Busche gardens,magic kingdom takes you back even if you are old like me,kss,and i liked the lone cabbage airboats ride not far from cocoa beach. enjoy you will wish you had booked a month,if you get asked to go to timeshare exhibition i would go only takes about an hour then tell them your not interested and collect your free tickets for most attractions
So did you actually get free tickets?

We signed up to go, then when we arrived I asked what time we would be back and they told us it would be about 4 that afternoon. Needless to say we didn't go.
Old 02 November 2009, 06:41 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by windyboy
Boyo, you have to go and see the firework show and parade at the Magic Kingdom late at night, it's amazing...

Also don't let my misses navigate... it's hard enough driving a big MPV on the wrong side of the car and on the wrong side of the road without having to argue about missing an exit ramp because she didn't tell you how many other exits were before it and then end up miles away from where you are supposed to be and then spend the next 5 hours trying to find the way back to the hotel that was supposed to be less than an hour from the airport

International Drive is the place to be as that's were all of the action is

windyboy
Epcot's Illuminations is much better than Wishes at MK.

And I-Drive ( north of Sand lake Rd ) is full of largered up chavs. Avoid!!
Old 03 November 2009, 09:49 AM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

Yes we did get free tickets to the magic kingdom
Old 03 November 2009, 09:54 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrJim
Yes we did get free tickets to the magic kingdom
Nice one.
Old 03 November 2009, 10:15 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
Epcot's Illuminations is much better than Wishes at MK.

And I-Drive ( north of Sand lake Rd ) is full of largered up chavs. Avoid!!
Epcot's Fireworks are very good and every night!!

After watching them, all displays except the new year ones seem rubbish in comparison.

Our hotel was off I-Drive so was quiet in the evenings, but still allowed you to walk to restaurants and bars.
Also had free shuttle rides to Disney & Sea World - Very handy and saves having a car.
Old 03 November 2009, 10:31 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I stayed on I drive the first time I went and it was great! If you have young children it is great to be in the center off the action. When I went a few years ago we went as a huge group and we had a massive truck. We stayed in a villa about 30 mins out of the way. It was nice to be away from all the hustle and bustle, but the drive to the parks was a pain in the butt. There were a lot of road works and the 30 min trip back in the evening was more like and hour or more some nights!

Things are a little more 'commercial' near I drive, but come on..... this is Disney Land we are talking about, we don't go there for the culture.
Old 08 November 2009, 09:18 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the info folks

Can wait to get away now

Quick Reply: Orlando, Florida