Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So, is the recession over?

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2009, 03:00 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, is the recession over?

USA has registered 3.5% growth in Q3, UK will probably have positive growth in Q4, banks are back to profitability. World equity indices have rallied.

We've had an increase in UK property prices, and anecdotally I can tell you that houses around my way are selling fast, as long as sensibly priced. London auction rooms are packed, and mainly cash rich buyers are doing the deal.

So does this mean that we've seen the worst of it?

Last edited by Deep Singh; 31 October 2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 31 October 2009, 03:04 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Not if it is a W recession
Old 31 October 2009, 03:56 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Just wait until Gordon's printing machine breaks down, and the value of the Ł in your pocket is worth as much a Zimbabwean $!

I think there's more to come once the faking for the election is over.

Years of higher taxes to pay for the mess GB and his predecessor have got this country into. Either that or we're looking at an amazing jobless recovery.

Last edited by fatherpierre; 31 October 2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 31 October 2009, 04:30 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
Just wait until Gordon's printing machine breaks down, and the value of the Ł in your pocket is worth as much a Zimbabwean $!

I think there's more to come once the faking for the election is over.

Years of higher taxes to pay for the mess GB and his predecessor have got this country into. Either that or we're looking at an amazing jobless recovery.
I have an idea, try replacing you're overly depressing outlook with an irrationally optimistic one...it works for me
Old 31 October 2009, 04:50 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Realism, my friend.

It all has to paid for in the end.
Old 31 October 2009, 04:55 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
USA has registered 3.5% growth in Q3, UK will probably have positive growth in Q4, banks are back to profitability. World equity indices have rallied.

We've had an increase in UK property prices, and anecdotally I can tell you that houses around my way are selling fast, as long as sensibly priced. London auction rooms are packed, and mainly cash rich buyers are doing the deal.

NO.

The only people who ask that question are those who have a decent and fairly secure job.

3.5% - are you sure? I thought it was marginal.

Dow Jones lost 2.5% yesterday.

Horrendous unemployment in US.

UK finances worst in Europe.

We have huge debt.

We may have avoided a Depression which is about the best you can say.

dl
Old 31 October 2009, 07:04 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock
NO.

The only people who ask that question are those who have a decent and fairly secure job.

3.5% - are you sure? I thought it was marginal.

Dow Jones lost 2.5% yesterday.

Horrendous unemployment in US.

UK finances worst in Europe.

We have huge debt.

We may have avoided a Depression which is about the best you can say.

dl

I was going to mention that. Any optimism in America was totally reversed yesterday with end of week and end of month profit taking. Even that should never see a 2.5% drop in the Dow surely? That's huge!
Old 31 October 2009, 08:08 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I thought I read 3.5%, but could be wrong. I'm not trying to be a wind up merchant like SSU, but playing devil's advocate.

1) The housing market seems to have turned the corner. The annual house price index has turned positive at 0.4%.

2) Repossesions never hit the sort of levels we had during the last recession, and maybe dropping.

3) Anecdotally, you may agree with me that houses in your local area are selling. The very desirable ones almost overnight.

So the housing market starts moving, people's confidence returns, they start consuming and hey presto, the economy starts to slowly grow again.

Then there is the question of money printing, well a lot of 'money' was destroyed correct? So we print some more to takes its place, its not as though it's extra money supply, it's to compensate for what was 'destroyed'

So it shouldn't really stoke inflation. Even if it did, to some extent that's not a completely bad thing, makes our debts relatively smaller
Old 31 October 2009, 08:39 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I thought I read 3.5%, but could be wrong. I'm not trying to be a wind up merchant like SSU, but playing devil's advocate.

1) The housing market seems to have turned the corner. The annual house price index has turned positive at 0.4%.

There is no FTB market and volumes are WAY down on 'normal'. The market is not functioning and is therefore liable to crash again. Prices can only get out of control again if lending gets lax.

2) Repossesions never hit the sort of levels we had during the last recession, and maybe dropping.

Government (IE you an me via our tax) paying the interest on people's mortgages to stop them being repossessed. The market is rigged and not being allowed to correct properly. It's all a fraud by GB that will have to end at some point. GB buying votes and we're paying for it.

3) Anecdotally, you may agree with me that houses in your local area are selling. The very desirable ones almost overnight.

So the housing market starts moving, people's confidence returns, they start consuming and hey presto, the economy starts to slowly grow again.

Bit simplistic.....

Then there is the question of money printing, well a lot of 'money' was destroyed correct? So we print some more to takes its place, its not as though it's extra money supply, it's to compensate for what was 'destroyed

What? No, not correct. The Ł has been devalued by this. You can't just pump made up money into an economy and all will be well. The Germans tried this to pay off their war debts and it caused massive, massive inflation.

Inflation in the Weimar Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So it shouldn't really stoke inflation. Even if it did, to some extent that's not a completely bad thing, makes our debts relatively smaller
Inflation will make interest rates rise. That's when the **** really will hit that big fan

As the pound weakens our foreign debts increase.

Last edited by fatherpierre; 31 October 2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 31 October 2009, 09:07 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Inflation will make interest rates rise. That's when the **** really will hit that big fan

As the pound weakens our foreign debts increase.
I suggest you take 1 of these, 3 times a day

Old 31 October 2009, 09:12 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I suggest you take 1 of these, 3 times a day

You misunderstand.

I am pretty well off, have no debts, mortgage-free, have a good (secure) job and a wife who earns more than me. We live well In fact, I'm at work now, getting paid double time to surf the net as there's no work to do

The recession hasn't touched my life. Quite happy, ta. I just think this country is in a very bad way financially, and most of it his hidden from the sheeple.
Old 01 November 2009, 12:16 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Banks owe billions to the government and the housing market is still at the bottom, it will be another year before we are home and dry
Old 01 November 2009, 12:33 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

a lot of 'money' was destroyed correct? So we print some more to takes its place, its not as though it's extra money supply, it's to compensate for what was 'destroyed'
can you explain what you mean by this statement
Old 01 November 2009, 12:34 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

FP - do you really think that Government cash is holding up the market by paying mortgage interest? What is your evidence? I could be way wrong but this is not something I have come across.

The main difference on repossessions is that this time around, interest are ultra low and many people are on fixed price deals so they can manage their finances better.

There is probably also a little additional pressure from HM Gov to limit repossessions.

And lastly, over the past few years a lot of price pressure in the housing market, and those now suffering negative equity are buy to lets rather than private ownership.
Old 01 November 2009, 12:36 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Banks owe billions to the government and the housing market is still at the bottom, it will be another year before we are home and dry
Most of the banks will be paying this back pronto (except maybe RBS) and HM Gov will probably make a profit.

As it is the 'Insurance' scheme the Gov set up for banks is not likely to be used now and the capital will come from the private sector.

There is trading strength in the market now - there is strong activity now and it is gaining momentum.
Old 01 November 2009, 12:49 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

FP:

1) I agree with Trout, I don't think many people are actually helped by these govt schemes, it was just spin at the time to make GB look good.

2) De valuing your currency helps with debt, foreigners hold our debt as Ł, just as they buy US debt as $. So the less it is worth the better (or so I keep reading LOL)

Hodgy;

I'm not quite sure what I mean! During the crisis billions of Ł was lost/destroyed/written off, whatever you want to call it. There was money that was meant to be on balance sheets and then it wasn't. This could have triggered a deflationary spiral, so printing some new money to make up for that which was lost from the economy is not necessarily inflationary. It could just be bringing balance.
Or, I could be talking sh3t3!!

Last edited by Deep Singh; 01 November 2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01 November 2009, 12:49 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
FP - do you really think that Government cash is holding up the market by paying mortgage interest? What is your evidence? I could be way wrong but this is not something I have come across.

Mortgage rescue scheme extended across England - Corporate - Communities and Local Government

Your tax and mine paying for people to keep their homes.

But yes, interest rates are the key here. We have a de-valued currency and almost 0% rates so all us savers with cash are the main losers.

Last edited by fatherpierre; 01 November 2009 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01 November 2009, 01:04 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Mortgage rescue scheme extended across England - Corporate - Communities and Local Government

Your tax and mine paying for people to keep their homes.

But yes, interest rates are the key here. We have a de-valued currency and almost 0% rates so all us savers with cash are the main losers.

I'm not saying the scheme doesn't exist, I'd be curious to know how many house holders have been helped by it.
Old 01 November 2009, 01:10 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

The aim was 6000, apparently.

Banks were also 'told' to hold off longer on defaulters.

I await a housing market correction once we have a new government. Housing is so overvalued and the market is currently broken. There are so few FTBs now, and they are the drivers of it.
Old 01 November 2009, 01:34 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

fatherpierre, when I was young not many people bought houses as people mostly rented homes. It has now returned to that, therefore what difference does the FTB card make as its now housing associations thats buying up a lot of homes now.
Old 01 November 2009, 01:35 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

OK - so I missed that MASSIVE scheme to save the UK housing market.

Ł200m and 6,000 households is a PR exercise. Fantastic for the 6,000 families, but in the scheme of things both numbers are paltry.

As for FTBs, at least anecdotally there are new buyers emerging. But this may be local to where I live (near York).

Housing is very fragile - but there is low stock at present, and even if the market loosened up there is still massive long term pressure in the market as the number of households in the UK is rising far faster than supply over the next ten years.
Old 01 November 2009, 01:39 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

On the money printing front - the Government has been using Quantitive Easing but not through printing money directly. They have been injecting capital into the banks to enable them to make more money available from the existing money supply.

So techically there is more money around although not through simply printing more.

In theory this eases capital flow and avoids catatrosphic devaluation.

Some devaluation is a good thing - a strong pound is good for us if we travel, but bad for exporters, particularly in a recession. A weaker pound is then good for us.
Old 01 November 2009, 01:42 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Even with the large population rise the UK has experienced, there are still almost 1 million houses sitting empty.

There are 1000s of new-build flats in many big cities sitting unsold. The supply argument is a myth.
Old 01 November 2009, 01:52 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout

Housing is very fragile - but there is low stock at present, and even if the market loosened up there is still massive long term pressure in the market as the number of households in the UK is rising far faster than supply over the next ten years.

10 years ago there was at least a 2m house shortage which the government had to correct within 10 year At best all the top house builders probably turn around 30,000 houses a year so its impossible to meet the demand and even more so in these troubled times.

The housing market is picking up all over the country but its still hoovering around the bottom. All the top house builders will say its going to be selling better next year and the worst is over, which it is but it will be a slow climb out. I have been suffering on the housing side for near on 3 years now? The sooner it corrects itself the better for me
Old 01 November 2009, 01:55 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
10 years ago there was at least a 2m house shortage which the government had to correct within 10 year At best all the top house builders probably turn around 30,000 houses a year so its impossible to meet the demand and even more so in these troubled times.

The housing market is picking up all over the country but its still hoovering around the bottom. All the top house builders will say its going to be selling better next year and the worst is over, which it is but it will be a slow climb out. I have been suffering on the housing side for near on 3 years now? The sooner it corrects itself the better for me
What game are you in Steve?
Old 01 November 2009, 04:21 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the supply/demand issue on its own is enough to cause prices to rise. If people feel housing is too expensive (either as a result of restrictive lending, high prices, low wages etc) they will just rent, or not try and move up the ladder.
Old 01 November 2009, 07:37 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

...but to rent, someone needs to own the property.

FP - so there are 1 million properties lying empty - that is irrelevant if they are not coming to market.

There is now myth - there are clear facts that there are far more single person households than ever before, our population is rising (immigration) and there are fewer houses available than there are households.

Markets are simple things - when there is more demand than supply prices rise (unless artificially controlled).

At the moment this is true, however, the stock is tiny and demand only just greater so no-one knows whether this is the beginning of the end (V or L shape) or the end of the beginning (W shape).

For all our sakes let's hope it is not the latter.
Old 01 November 2009, 10:50 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They are still managing to overborrow and/or print more money. They will soon spend whatever they get for splitting up the banks too.

When all that has to stop-that is when you can start whingeing!

Les

Quick Reply: So, is the recession over?