Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Biker Jailed After Breaking Scottish Speed Record

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2009, 08:36 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Biker Jailed After Breaking Scottish Speed Record

This guy has been jailed for nine months after being caught doing 166mph. Biker jailed after breaking speed record on Scottish road - Edinburgh Evening News

It might sound an unbelievable speed to many people, but this stretch of road is about 5 miles from my house. It has been said elsewhere that the road was totally clear at the time, and the police even stated that. When this road is totally clear it is like driving on a runway, as it's very wide and probably 2 miles long.

I think the sentence is ridiculous taking the above into account. He wasn't doing anything other than riding flat out on a bike well capable of doing that speed in a straight line without too much trouble. I mean, I accept he should be punished, but at the moment there are people running about the streets with knives stabbing people who get shorter sentences.
Old 30 October 2009, 08:41 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife's cousin was prosecuted after getting caught on the Black Rock road in gwent 154mph IIRC which was a record at the time. He got a fine and some community Service IIRC. He died riding his bike on a separate occasion reportedly at excessive speed. At least the rider will be alive for another 9 months as it ain't clever doing those speeds on public roads, you never know who or what might happen. More than likely he has been made an example of IMHO.
Old 30 October 2009, 08:48 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excessive imo, a hefty fine and the five year ban would suffice.
I have spent years watching road wars and the likes and the ******* on there who steal cars and cause mayhem only tend to get slapped wrists and community service whereas this guy is jailed.
Maybe if he'd had no license, stole the bike, damaged third party property and crashed he would have had the slapped wrist punishment.
Nik.

Last edited by nik52wrx; 30 October 2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 30 October 2009, 08:52 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
This guy has been jailed for nine months after being caught doing 166mph. Biker jailed after breaking speed record on Scottish road - Edinburgh Evening News

It might sound an unbelievable speed to many people, but this stretch of road is about 5 miles from my house. It has been said elsewhere that the road was totally clear at the time, and the police even stated that. When this road is totally clear it is like driving on a runway, as it's very wide and probably 2 miles long.

I think the sentence is ridiculous taking the above into account. He wasn't doing anything other than riding flat out on a bike well capable of doing that speed in a straight line without too much trouble. I mean, I accept he should be punished, but at the moment there are people running about the streets with knives stabbing people who get shorter sentences.
Agree
Old 30 October 2009, 08:55 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

no one hurt = no jail IMO
jailing people for speeding is crazy
Old 30 October 2009, 08:56 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
Excessive imo, a hefty fine and the five year ban would suffice.
I have spent years watching road wars and the likes and the ******* on there who steal cars and cause mayhem only tend to get slapped wrists and community service whereas this guy is jailed.
Maybe if he'd had no license, stole the bike, damaged third party property and crashed he would have had the slapped wrist punishment.
Nik.
Totally agree with that.
Old 30 October 2009, 09:03 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

How much easier would it have been to have done a track day and given it some welly?

The bike may be capable of doing 166MPH with ease and just because the rider was doing that speed is no indication that he was capable of handling a bike at that speed. At that speed even the slightest upset to his steering (going over a stone, hitting a rabbit or bird) that would be a problem at normal speed would be catasrophic.
I think 9 months is maybe a little tough but I doubt he will do it again.
I'm not anti biker or anti speed. As a life long biker myself I am no stranger to twisting the the go faster handle.
Old 30 October 2009, 09:09 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

I used to love that bit of road.
Old 30 October 2009, 09:17 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jer
I used to love that bit of road.
When I got my first car on Christmas day 2004 I was straight there. It was a £600 clio and it was snowing. Actually almost had a mishap on the way there.
Old 30 October 2009, 10:01 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Its all part of the war against motorists. As has been said above, there are so many other people who have driven in the most awful manner not given any sort of punishment, and then there is this. He has been made an example of, simple as that
Old 31 October 2009, 11:35 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Would you really expect the authorities to say that because of the type of road involved that he should be excused an appropriate penalty for riding at over 2.5 times the posted speed limit?

When it comes to speed limit offences, they can't take that sort of thing into account or they would have that sort of speed being used all the time on empty roads and there is no way that the authorities can allow that to happen. These days other traffic can appear at any time.

The bloke is a nutter for going that fast on a public road and he has to expect a big penalty when he is caught for it.

Les
Old 31 October 2009, 11:57 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie
Would you really expect the authorities to say that because of the type of road involved that he should be excused an appropriate penalty for riding at over 2.5 times the posted speed limit?

When it comes to speed limit offences, they can't take that sort of thing into account or they would have that sort of speed being used all the time on empty roads and there is no way that the authorities can allow that to happen. These days other traffic can appear at any time.

The bloke is a nutter for going that fast on a public road and he has to expect a big penalty when he is caught for it.

Les
Do you agree though that this man should go to jail for hurting no one, when there are yobs who kick someones head in who and get community service
Old 31 October 2009, 12:07 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Nutter yes - actually did any harm / damage / injury - none. Compare and contrast with this story Have You Heard The One About……. POLICE INSPECTOR BLOG Which actually deserved the prison sentence?
Old 31 October 2009, 12:09 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Good point.

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Do you agree though that this man should go to jail for hurting no one, when there are yobs who kick someones head in who and get community service
Old 31 October 2009, 12:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

A perfectly strong argument KOT. I think his penalty is unfair since no one else was involved and 9 months gaol is OTT. My point was that he could'nt expect to get off with a light sentence though.

You are right of course, the yobs who cause injury and distress to others should be getting it well and truly in the neck. We are beset with PC Plonkers who don't believe that they are at fault for inexplicable reasons of their own.

Les
Old 31 October 2009, 01:16 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

When I started driving they didn't have national limits so he may not have even been charged. I don't think there were any non-racing bikes that could do that speed though and I can't remember if cops had fancy radar and Morris Minors didn't go that fast

I was a fan of the "VinNor" which was a Vincent 1000 put into a Norton featherlight frame, pretty quick off the mark

9 months is much too long IMHO.

dl

I did an indicated 160 in a car once (60 limit in USA ) and that felt pretty scary.

Last edited by David Lock; 31 October 2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 31 October 2009, 01:22 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie
A perfectly strong argument KOT. I think his penalty is unfair since no one else was involved and 9 months gaol is OTT. My point was that he could'nt expect to get off with a light sentence though.

You are right of course, the yobs who cause injury and distress to others should be getting it well and truly in the neck. We are beset with PC Plonkers who don't believe that they are at fault for inexplicable reasons of their own.

Les
I would have taken into account the fact that the person involved was a productive member of society (albeit hardresser ) and handed him a hefty fine. Instead this guy is more than likely going to lose his job and have fair trouble finding another upon his release.

I think we can both agree on the favt that the UK justice system is an ****.
Old 31 October 2009, 01:52 PM
scixer6r
Scooby Regular

A scumbag junkie will rob an old girls house,help himself to high street goodies,mug people for a fix & if caught will get drug treatment order.This guy does none of this yet go's to jail.British justice really is a joke.
Old 31 October 2009, 09:57 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

A custodial sentence for speeding is utterly ridiculous, someone three or four times over the drink drive limit or monged out of their head on drugs wouldn’t have got that. Yes riding at that sort of speed should be severely punished but surely not to this level, it’s a road traffic offence.
Old 01 November 2009, 12:37 AM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Well I just don't get how judges can believe this is apparently only 8 times as bad as doing 16o+ on a bike and doing no one any harm whatsover.
Old 01 November 2009, 02:47 AM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by magepaster
At that speed even the slightest upset to his steering (going over a stone, hitting a rabbit or bird) that would be a problem at normal speed would be catasrophic.
Actually, running over a stone or rabbit at that speed would not be a problem. I ran over a plank of wood at a very silly speed, and I barely felt anything. Had I been going at a walking pace however, it may have upset the balance enough that I could have fallen off.
Its all about momentum.

Hitting a bird is a totally different story depending on the size of the bird and where it hits. I certainly wouldn't like to be hit on the head by a swan at those speeds.
Old 01 November 2009, 11:05 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I would have taken into account the fact that the person involved was a productive member of society (albeit hardresser ) and handed him a hefty fine. Instead this guy is more than likely going to lose his job and have fair trouble finding another upon his release.

I think we can both agree on the favt that the UK justice system is an ****.
Yes of course. I think it is what it is forced to be both what government policy dictates for its own reasons, as well as the PC Plonkers who have been allowed to gain so much power these days.

Les
Old 01 November 2009, 11:12 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Ban the feejit organ doner from the roads for a few years, fine him, confiscate/crush the bike and order a full retest after his ban expires.

But Jail? OTT, if he had crashed and hurt someone, yes bang him up, but he did'nt. So no need.
Old 01 November 2009, 11:46 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think he was banned for 5 years.

Terrible waste to crush a good bike though.

Les
Old 01 November 2009, 11:53 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The crushing is more of a principal thing, Les. I know I'd be mortified if someone crushed my RD500, but if I rode it like a loon, its eventually going to up smashed in one shape or form.
Old 01 November 2009, 01:10 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

The law is stupid for a lot of things IMO.
I was once charged with dangerous driving when i was doing 99 in a 60 zone, not one other car on the road and weather was dry.
Yet someone else (on the exact same road) lost control of their car crashed into someone else, wrote off both cars and injured the people in the other car, and they got charged with careless driving.

Can someone explain to me why potential is worse than actually causing an accident
Old 01 November 2009, 04:04 PM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

Location: Daily drive is a Scoob again - just what it should be!

Absolute bl00dy joke - custodial sentence - he'd have got less for raping & murdering a child these days!!

I agree totally different if and it is a very big IF he'd wiped out someone else.

I really feel for this guy - a male hairdresser in a man's prison - he's got no chance........
Old 01 November 2009, 04:23 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

It has been said elsewhere that the road was totally clear at the time, and the police even stated that. When this road is totally clear it is like driving on a runway, as it's very wide and probably 2 miles long.
Wide and long it may be, until a farmer in a tractor who has'nt seen this idiot hurtling along at crazy sppeds pulls out into the road. Or the little kiddie staying on the farm tries to cross the road.

Chip
Old 01 November 2009, 04:28 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BBC NEWS | UK | Wales | Record speed biker dies in crash

Bikers beware ! if my wife's cousin had gone to jail for a short term perhaps he would have thought twice and still been alive

Judge Isobel Parry said: "I'm not jailing you because you have a nine-year-old son to support."

Last edited by 53; 01 November 2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01 November 2009, 10:19 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Personally I think its shocking giving out prison sentences for speeding whatever the speed is. Fine and bans yes but really the system is f*cked up.
I ride bikes (Yamaha R6) and cant believe he is the first to be caught at that sort of speed. Most people that ride fast bikes ether travel at way over 100mph or see others doing it almost every time they go out for a blast on open straight roads.
What did they catch him with anyway
All it is going to do is make people desperate to get away from the police if they think they have been clocked at high speeds as the TV shows prove you don't get serious punishment if you don't stop and and have nicked it anyway

Quick Reply: Biker Jailed After Breaking Scottish Speed Record