Car Park Hit & run. . .

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2009, 03:11 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Park Hit & run. . .

(bit of a rant, but need to vent)

The bloody nerve of some people. . . . . .

I park my car at work.

A customer sides-wipes it when going out & doesn't stop.

I obtain a phone number & address of the customer from the interweb. Give them a call & ask them to inspect for damage (expecting a no). Yep, no damage.

I ask the customer if I can go round to visually inspect the car - he agrees.

So I go and have a look - yep, big black line going all the way down the drivers side, little dint in the rear arch.

Oh he says, didn't realise I hit it. . . . . (I take photo's) He agrees to pay, and asks me to get quotes. Off I go & get quotes.

I now call this afternoon and speak to the owner of the car and she launches off into one relating to how I've broken the data protection act using my companies computer systems to obtain their data (which I did not). And how she is going to report my company & me to the complaints devision bla bla bla.

I sent the following:

Ms L Killmister,

Please find attached images of the side of the car taken in the afternoon of the accident. Some images have not been included. The marks are down the Drivers side of the car below the door’s centre line. The marks to the rear wheel arch can also be found.
Prior to taking these images, I spoke to Mr P Killmister on the phone to verify his address & gain permission to visually inspect the vehicle.

Mr P Killmister was with me for the entire duration that I was with your car.

I obtained your phone number from a publicly printed document after getting his Company Name from the PRINTED invoice. At no time did I consult our computer systems for that information.

http://www.wycombe.gov.uk/uploads/do...2009%20PDF.pdf

(about 1/3 way down)

Additionally, your address is publicly listed on BT’s directory enquiries:

(link removed)

If you feel that the data protection act has been breached in any way, please contact Penny: As I have said, she is currently on Holiday & returns next week. You can also call her on the main office number below.

With regards the repairs, I understand that you wish to use your insurers. If this is the case, please can you provide details so that I might put forward a claim.

If you do not wish to go through your insurers, than the cost of repair will be one of the following (depending if the plastic resin takes):

-Repair if Resin works – Circa £180 + VAT
-Replacement of bumper of in event of above not working – Circa £700+ VAT

I am happy to get other quotes for you at the garage of your choice.

I look forward to your reply.
Old 30 October 2009, 03:31 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Seems fair to me. As long as she can't get you on a technicality regards the data protection act (which you seem pretty clued up on), then I'd say you're good to go.

Also (and I'm sure a more reliable source will confirm this), she has left the scene of an accidnet and hasn't reported it within 24 hours I presume. That could be used as a bargaining tool considering you obtained pictures from the husband.
Old 30 October 2009, 03:56 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Accident was on private ground, so probably can't go via that route.

Pretty sure I'm OK on the data protection act.

It was the hubby driving her car.
Old 30 October 2009, 04:23 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least try and get it recorded via the Police.You say its on private land,but the road traffic act is quite wide reaching regard a public place,so this may be the case.
From her reaction,i dont think that this will be sorted in the short term and indeed without loss to yourself,so if her failings can be recorded in the first instance,it may help in the long run.
Nightmare and i hope you get it sorted!
Old 30 October 2009, 06:23 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if the RTA doesn't cover it because it is on private ground, it is probably still criminal damage so you have a couple of avenues to explore.

If all else fails send the boys around