Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Glass mounted catflaps

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2002, 11:09 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes i know its a long shot, but does anyone have a magnetic catflap installed in a glass door or a window ??

I am looking for a catflap to go in a double glazed panel in a french door, and i know the glaziers can make the panel to fit it, but I am struggling to find a catflap (preferrably a Catmate one as we have loads of magnets for them) that is a magnetic one and can be mounted in glass.

Cheers

Dave
Old 15 March 2002, 09:55 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Yes, I do.

I think you've done the hard bit by finding a glazier that can (and will) make a double glazed panel with a hole in it. The glazier we used had to make three in total - the first two apparently shattered when the panel was being toughened.

The cat flap itself is a magnetic one made my Staywell, although I forget the exact model number. (I found a link though - it's this one - the magnetic 4-way lockable model).

IIRC, the glass panel came with a seal pre-installed around the hole, so installing the cat flap is just like installing it in a hole in a door, with the slight proviso that the glass panel is much thinner than a wooden door.

The only limitation that you (and your cat!) need to know, is that it's not possible to put the hole too near the edge of the pane of glass. This means, in our case, that the flap is a bit high up, and it requires some flexibility on the part of the cats to get in and out! It's not a problem while they're young and flexible, but I'm expecting to have to build a ramp or two as they get older.

Andy.
Old 15 March 2002, 10:04 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Our back door catflap is about a foot off the floor, and the one from the garage to the kitchen is nearly two feet off the floor on the garage side and neither of our cats seem to have a problem with them, even the little fat lazy git. Although the older cat will still sit and wait for somebody daft enough to open the door for her.
Old 15 March 2002, 10:31 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Talking

We have one in our back door frame had the double glazed unit made for it cost about £20 if my memory reminds me.

Go for a Catmate one it's cheaper and better in our opinion and the magnets are smaller and it is available with an adaptor plate for glass mounting and the PP3 seams to last for ages.

we have put a pice of decking down for the cats to climb up to the flap.

Huxley