Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Home Gym Advice

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2009, 01:46 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home Gym Advice

I am thinking about making the garage into a small gym. I ideally want to lose weight and build up. I have tried going to proper gyms before but once i get home the last thing i want to do is drive 20 mins to a gym. I currently have a tread mill in the garage and a punch bag in the garage which i have been using.

Just after some other ideas what to buy.

I was thinking of the following weights bench

Decathlon - muscle-gymnasium-educatn prdct exercise - training app multifonct DOMYOS - BM 160 DOMYOS - building your muscles at home on a regular basis (up to 5hrs per week).

with 92kg cast iron weights with a 6ft pole. Do you think that bench will be good enough i have seen it and thought it was good enough for the price.

Any other equipment you think i need. I ideally want something i can use for pull ups. What do you think of the following. I would like something i could use for dips as well.

Decathlon - muscle-gymnasium-educatn prdct exercise - training barre,traction DOMYOS - BT 500 DOMYOS - strengthening your muscles by using your own body weight.

Any advice would be good.

Thanks
Old 18 October 2009, 02:05 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I bought something similar to this (same power-rack) CLICK and have been using it 2-3x a week for about 4 months now. £500-600 may seem like a lot of outlay but a decent gym near me is around £70 a month and even the Council gym's work out much the same if you go 3x a week. Had I been going to the gym I'd have spent £280 already and that doesn't include any join up costs. My equipment won't have depreciated by that much meaning I'm quids in already and that situation will only improve the longer I use it for. I've never found myself wanting for equipment and I love that I don't get distracted by hot girls or have to wait to do an exercise. In short, I wholeheartedly recommend a good home gym if your are disciplined enough to use it.
Old 18 October 2009, 09:40 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Here's mine, I finished it a few months ago.
In my opinion, you must ensure you have enough equipment in there to keep you interested as if you start finding you cant do X, or Y, or Z, your interest in home training can soon wilt. The free weights most people end up buying are not only space intensive, they are bloody expensive and hard to resell for anything more than pocket money. Consider the alternatives carefully as i did...

A view from the doorway to the right.

The excellent Bowflex Selectech Dumbells. Adjustable from 2kg - 22kg.

Sparring Pads.

Squat rack. I can also move my bench across and use this to bench. I have free weights up to 120KG.

The excellent Bob XL training partner. There is nothing better for training with.

Pull up bar and speed bag bracket.

Multi Gym.

Kicker iPod station. You simply cannot train without music!

Notice board with training routines and weight chart.

And since I took the pictures it now has one of these in it.

I expect there are a couple of items people may not be familiar with in there so I will pre-empt questions with two You Tube Videos:

Bowflex Selectech

My best friend training on Bob XL (Bob set to 6' 5")

Last edited by Evolution Stu; 18 October 2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 18 October 2009, 10:29 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

I had not really looked at power cages until today but i am starting to like the idea. The only problem i might have is my garage roof is not that high it has a wooden frame support to the roof. How much weight do you think i need to buy to start with.

Do you think i could buy enough things to get me started for max £400
Old 18 October 2009, 11:04 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

You'd have to shop around but yeah, it can be done. Ideally try and pick up some iron on gumtree 2nd hand if you can. At the end of the day it's weight so why does it matter if it's been lifted before? I got a 100kg Olympic set and that did me for a while but I then had to buy two 25kg plates to keep me going. I managed 5x5 squat at 115kg (PB) and I was struggling so there is no way in hell I'll need more weight any time soon.

I'm really happy with the rack I got (it's the lighter & cheaper of the bodymax ones) as it's been super sturdy and allows me to do many exercises and all on my own if need be (using the spotter bars). Furthermore, the type of exercises it encourages (squats, bench press, pull ups, inverted rows, dead-lifts, etc) all hit lots of muscles in one go. I shudder to think of the time I used to waste in expensive gyms focusing on a small muscle (biceps for example) and groups.