Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mobile phone advice - Blackberry replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2009, 08:18 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile phone advice - Blackberry replacement?

We currently run BES connected up to our Exchange 2007 server. We have five 8100 Pearls that we are looking to replace.

At the moment we have contacts with a provider that sells us O2 contracts, where each SIM had it's own contract.

We are looking at sharing minutes, text and data amoung all the people at work. The best bet seems to be getting this sort of deal with O2, and using ActiveSync on Exchange 2007 to push out to Windows Mobile phones. This will also allow us to add additional users cheaply, rather than taking out a new Blackberry contract.

I know Vodafone do a bundled minutes, text and data packages for Blackberry, but as one of the directors has no Vodafone coverage at home, we can't go to them.

In short, are there any reasons why I shouldn't move to Windows Mobiles and use ActiveSync, or should I retain the BES and stick with Blackberry?
Old 16 October 2009, 08:33 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

iPhone?
Old 16 October 2009, 08:44 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the Curve, I love Iphones but it isnt a business tool with a battery life that is measured in hours, not days.
Old 16 October 2009, 08:45 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are thinking of going down the Vodafone route its worth checking out their Mobile Access Gateway that uses your internet connection to boost the signal as this may resolve your directors issues with signal.
Old 16 October 2009, 08:54 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

iPhones IMHO are status symbols, not business tools.

Ideally I don't want a touch screen phone.

Personally I'd like to change to Blackberry Bolds, but contract costs dictate that I should look at Windows Mobiles instead.

Any good Windows mobiles out there?

I played with an HTC Touch2 and it sync'd ok, but I'm not sure I could live with touchscreen. I also played with a Nokia E63 which were very, very basic, but good enough for our sales people!
Old 16 October 2009, 09:43 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Loads of phones out there these days mate, check out GSMArena.com - GSM phone reviews, news, opinions, votes, manuals and more...
HTC seem to be the big gun in the Win Mob league at the mo, but others are following.

As for contract and pricing. I would not claim to know diddly about the BES pricing, well out of my league. However with phones like the new Curve 8520 and the Bold 9700 about to come out, its a good time to carry on forward with Berry's if a/ you are used to them, and b/ it can be afforded.
There is a MASSIVE gap between Pearls and even the Curve series, so look at the full specs first.

Have a look here.
Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com

The top 70 Win Mo phones on GSM Arena. Some nice options there too,
Old 16 October 2009, 10:14 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Have you thought about Nokia E71/E72s? They are considered very good business phones and support ActiveSync.
Old 16 October 2009, 10:22 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Apart from costs are there any main reasons why you should move from BES? Modern data plans mean there is no real difference between normal phones and the blackberry,unless your tethring it and I pressume you aren't bothered if the staff have that option. Oh, I thought most modern windows phones were touch screen?
Old 16 October 2009, 10:28 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Apart from costs are there any main reasons why you should move from BES? Modern data plans mean there is no real difference between normal phones and the blackberry,unless your tethring it and I pressume you aren't bothered if the staff have that option. Oh, I thought most modern windows phones were touch screen?
Most modern WinMo phones are touch screen, although a lot boast a full qwerty too. Which is a big plus for people like me lol.

I would not have thought that actual running costs of Berry's these days on BES or BIS would be overly expensive once past set up.
I know there is a bit more to the infastructure of BES, but thats where it ends for me. Is it not an option to just run them on BIS?

Im pretty sure most of the networks do shared minutes across a group of phones, some very large packages available. So with that and the BES already in place, is BB not an option to move forward.

PS, if it is, and you go that route, forget the Bold 9000 and wait on the Bold 9700
Old 16 October 2009, 10:31 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Example of what orange offer.

Business Sense Discount 4000
24 months £131.754
additional users (£12.75 each) £51.00
4000 minutes
500 texts to all UK mobiles
unlimited calls and texts between users
your services
Talk with BlackBerry£18.50X5
selection summary
monthly cost £201.25t
Old 16 October 2009, 10:35 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Snazy, touch screen and slide out qwerty seem the same to me There are some good Acer phones on the market at the moment at very good prices and they have finger print recognition which would come in handy for a business phone?
Old 16 October 2009, 10:40 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy

24 months £131.754
4000 minutes
your services
selection summary
monthly cost £201.25t

Thats not a massive amount of minutes etc for a group conrtact ? and the idea of unlimited calls and txts between users seems minimal as I pressue most calls would be outside the group???
Old 16 October 2009, 10:43 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Snazy, touch screen and slide out qwerty seem the same to me There are some good Acer phones on the market at the moment at very good prices and they have finger print recognition which would come in handy for a business phone?
Agreed, im suprised that Acer and the likes of, are not bigger players in the business phone supplier. Im sure they have a good market, but im guessing more in Asia etc.

The M900 looks lovely.
Acer M900 pictures, official photos

A nice shortlist (shorter anyway)
Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com
Old 16 October 2009, 10:45 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Thats not a massive amount of minutes etc for a group conrtact ? and the idea of unlimited calls and txts between users seems minimal as I pressue most calls would be outside the group???
As I say, its an example, I didnt select any of the highest options.
I would say to the OP to have a look on the Orange and other business sites for the carriers. There are some seemingly good deals out there.

I honestly have no idea what sort of business it is, or how much talk/text is required
Old 16 October 2009, 10:49 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

I just switched 170 handsets from 02 to T-Mobile, amazed how good T Mobile business customer services is. The deal they gave us blew o2 and Orange away.

Stick with BES, no other corporate platform is as good. If you're negotiating new contracts try and get some BES cals thrown in for free.

8120 is nice replacement for 8100 since it will display html email natively but the 8900 curve is the business handset to go for
Old 16 October 2009, 10:52 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
I just switched 170 handsets from 02 to T-Mobile, amazed how good T Mobile business customer services is. The deal they gave us blew o2 and Orange away.

Stick with BES, no other corporate platform is as good. If you're negotiating new contracts try and get some BES cals thrown in for free.

8120 is nice replacement for 8100 since it will display html email natively but the 8900 curve is the business handset to go for
Phew someone who knows BES lol
Definatly go for a "full" BB as I call them. Not a Storm or Pearl. Totally different experience.

As for the handset, if you HAVE to get them right now, if you need 3G go for the Bold 9000, if you dont need it, 8900 for sure.

If you can hold out til mid Nov.. wait for the 9700.
Old 16 October 2009, 10:52 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Oh and to answer why....

Windows mobile means you go on a data tariff just like anyone else where as BlackBerry packages are unlimited data and very special data roaming rates unlike a standard data package.

T-Mobile gave us unlimited free calls to any UK landlines, free unlimited text messages, free unlimited calls to other group mobiles and HUGE bundle of minutes for a great price.
Old 16 October 2009, 10:56 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

The negotiating power of numbers eh lol.
Got no experience with business plans, so wont argue with the above. And I realise that buisness and private customer services are VERY different too.

From a personal opinion, as a personal user. I spend a lot of time messaging via email and IM, and a fair bit of time browsing, and would not be without a BB now.

Jay what handsets did you go for ? 89's ?
Old 16 October 2009, 11:50 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

We went for mainly 8900 to replace the old curves, some users took 8120s

you are right about power of numbers, 150+ BBs and the networks love you! The hospitality they throw at you is nice.

I personally have a 8900 from work but am typing this on an iPhone :P
Old 16 October 2009, 11:54 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy

24 months £131.754
4000 minutes
your services
selection summary
monthly cost £201.25t
I could better that with Orange if you're interested?
Old 17 October 2009, 10:07 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro
I could better that with Orange if you're interested?
There you go OP..... thats an offer you cant turn away from... negotiate

Jay, glad to hear both pieces of news lol. Nothing wrong with keeping your options open.
Old 17 October 2009, 10:26 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Cheers chaps, looks like I have a busy Monday ahead of me convincing the boss that we should stick with BB, keep our BES, get me a Bold, and make everyone else have a Curve!

Boro, I'll drop you a PM on Monday, as I try not to work too much on the weekend!!
Old 17 October 2009, 10:50 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
Cheers chaps, looks like I have a busy Monday ahead of me convincing the boss that we should stick with BB, keep our BES, get me a Bold, and make everyone else have a Curve!

Boro, I'll drop you a PM on Monday, as I try not to work too much on the weekend!!
Out of interest whats making you want the Bold?
And seriously, if you are not gonna be doing this for a few weeks, just wait on the 9700. At worst get yourself a 9700 and get them 8520's
Old 18 October 2009, 10:18 AM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK

thats cos they are desperate for business as they are doing ****e and want to have nice figures in the books for when orange finalise buying them!

Stay away from t mobile as they are slowly going under!
Old 18 October 2009, 11:13 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darts_aint_sport
Have you thought about Nokia E71/E72s? They are considered very good business phones and support ActiveSync.
Just changed to an E71 for work, its got everything for you need.
Old 18 October 2009, 11:27 AM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The M900 has a few niggles - reception can be an issue but I think there's a firmware fix.

I'm waiting to see the price of the Acer Liquid (Android) but the windows Neotouch looks impressive.

Expansys have good prices for the M900.
Old 18 October 2009, 11:48 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
thats cos they are desperate for business as they are doing ****e and want to have nice figures in the books for when orange finalise buying them!

Stay away from t mobile as they are slowly going under!
What a stupid thing to say

Orange and T-Mobile are merging their UK operations to create the country's largest mobile phone operator, with 28.4 million customers or 37% of the market, leapfrogging rivals O2 and Vodafone.

Both parent companies will have a 50% share, how is that going under?