Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I'm visiting London this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2009, 08:24 AM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm visiting London this weekend

Hey chaps, I'll be in London this weekend with the wife.

What should i not be missing?

Some British rally champion museum maybe?

No, i'm not british and am from another part of the world.
Old 15 October 2009, 10:33 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stratford Massage Parlour.

Send the mrs to oxford street while you are there.

£40 full body and only another £10 for a happy ending

Chop
Old 15 October 2009, 11:02 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Itaint London, s'Lahndahn...cor blimey mate, weh do yoo fink iwm fwom? Really, far too many places to suggest.

Last edited by Klaatu; 15 October 2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 15 October 2009, 11:09 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well there are so many things to see that all we can say is, got to a tourist information place and ask for a list of attractions. You have to make your own decisions based on your interests.

I come from there originally and personally I would go for a walk in the country somewhere! But then I have seen all the sights

Have a great time anyway.

Les
Old 15 October 2009, 11:15 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

search this forum - there are plenty of threads
Old 15 October 2009, 11:19 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Pubs near Smithfield meat markets are (Used to be) open at 6am...

I do like the Science/Natural History museums, personally, I'd give the London Eye a, errrmmm, miss, unless you like to waste money. Watch out for beggers, thay take only notes and plastic these days, and you will be going to one of the most "watched" cities in the world.

There is Hampton Court, stick to the left in the maze, and you'll get out. Tower of London etc.

The North Circular/M25...always good for a laugh!
Old 15 October 2009, 01:05 PM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Anywhere a hardcore petrolhead shouldn't miss?

Like some rally museum? I've googled. Didn't find anything interesting.
Old 15 October 2009, 01:06 PM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopper.
Stratford Massage Parlour.

Send the mrs to oxford street while you are there.

£40 full body and only another £10 for a happy ending

Chop
Thanks for the tip off. Think i'll pass on this one for now.
Old 15 October 2009, 01:11 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suberman
Anywhere a hardcore petrolhead shouldn't miss?

Like some rally museum? I've googled. Didn't find anything interesting.
London, not good for PH'ds. Australia, maybe?
Old 15 October 2009, 01:54 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

London, is anti petrol head lol.
Nothing of drastic car interest here really mate.

Some lovely car showrooms to drool over, but thats about it. West End you will usually see a lot of performance cars hanging around in the evenings at the weekend.

As for other things to do, really depends what you like.
West End show, attractions (London Eye, Planetarium, London Zoo etc....)
Old 15 October 2009, 02:30 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Maybe you could head to Downing Street and give cyclops a punch on the nose for me. Cheers.
Old 15 October 2009, 02:34 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Harrods, Big Ben, Houses of Parliment, Piccadilly Circus, plenty of shops. Just get an Oyster cards for the tube and a map an go explore. Thats what we do.
Old 15 October 2009, 02:46 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Sod Harrods lol.
Hamleys however...... now we are talking.
Apple store if you are a i-oholic

I would be tempted to head east and pop to the Dome for food and a film, maybe a concert if anything is on.
Tower Bridge, HMS Belfast, London Eye, Tate Modern, loads of stuff thats actually fun to do
Old 15 October 2009, 05:52 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Dont miss the road back out of London to take you somewhere nicer.

Seriously, the place is an overpriced, egocentric 5hithole that you need to spend half your time on drugs to be able to live in.

99% of the Uk is MUCH nicer than London, although if you ever watch the news over here you would be forgiven for thinking that once you get a mile outside of London the country is a deserted wasteland with no culture where nothing ever happens !
Old 15 October 2009, 07:42 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
Dont miss the road back out of London to take you somewhere nicer.

Seriously, the place is an overpriced, egocentric 5hithole that you need to spend half your time on drugs to be able to live in.

99% of the Uk is MUCH nicer than London, although if you ever watch the news over here you would be forgiven for thinking that once you get a mile outside of London the country is a deserted wasteland with no culture where nothing ever happens !
lol jesus christ, have a bad time did you ?
Depends what you are after really. London is pretty unique in what it offers as a package.
Not the centre of the universe by far, but without spending time in the place and knowing whats where, hard to "judge" so to speak.

Keep enjoying Cardiff

Last edited by Snazy; 15 October 2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 16 October 2009, 09:50 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Spent plenty of time working, visiting and going out there over the years ( the city and south london ), and living there on and off for short periods. Enough to make me realise that living there full time would drive me mad.

Its no coincidence that lots of people in London who as soon as they start earning enough either buy a second weekend home in the country, or move as far away as is possible to commute daily.

p.s. I havent lived in Cardiff for a few years now, live in a small village on the coast, 5 minutes walk from the sea and 2 minutes walk from open fields as far as you can see - don't get that in New Cross !
Old 16 October 2009, 10:15 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Spent plenty of time working, visiting and going out there over the years ( the city and south london ), and living there on and off for short periods. Enough to make me realise that living there full time would drive me mad.

Its no coincidence that lots of people in London who as soon as they start earning enough either buy a second weekend home in the country, or move as far away as is possible to commute daily.

p.s. I havent lived in Cardiff for a few years now, live in a small village on the coast, 5 minutes walk from the sea and 2 minutes walk from open fields as far as you can see - don't get that in New Cross !
lol if you were living in New Cross then I can fully understand you dislike for London. Again the city (the square mile) is a friggin horrible place too. But hardly anywhere a tourist would want to be (or a local for that matter)

With a population of something like 8 million, and climbing, and some of the most expensive properties in the country I dont think the mass exodus is quite that bad Very few people I know, from all walks of life have any wish to leave London.

I have lived in London all my life, and personally love the place to bits. The only place I would move right now is out of the UK all together.
Old 16 October 2009, 11:02 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

That reinforces my theory :

Most of the people who like living in London are a) people who have lived there all their lives, so don't know any different or b) illegal immigrants who come from countries with no running water, so anything is a bonus.

Most people I know who moved to London from other areas stuck it for a couple of years, then couldn't wait to move out somewhere quieter or friendlier.

I suppose it depends on what you are used to, but London can be a big shock for people who come there from smaller places, and the pace of life and amount of people, traffic etc... take some getting used to.
Old 16 October 2009, 12:42 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Most of the people who like living in London are a) people who have lived there all their lives, so don't know any different or b) illegal immigrants who come from countries with no running water, so anything is a bonus.

Most people I know who moved to London from other areas stuck it for a couple of years, then couldn't wait to move out somewhere quieter or friendlier.

I suppose it depends on what you are used to, but London can be a big shock for people who come there from smaller places, and the pace of life and amount of people, traffic etc... take some getting used to.
I think the final paragraph is a more realistic summary
And the first applies both ways too.

I have stayed in various parts of the country for extended periods of time, but I can honestly say at my current age, with current needs and demands on life... Im more that happy right here.

Plenty of green space and peace and quite just a few miles away, convinience, and things not quite as unreasonably priced as some make out.

Coming to London from a smaller place can be slightly intimidating with the traffic etc, but its not as dramatic as its made out on TV etc lol
Old 27 October 2009, 06:26 AM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the input chaps. It was hella cold when i reached! I think it was between 5 - 10 degrees for most of the time.

London is an amazing city. Beautiful buildings, great shopping, lots to see as well. Traffic was much better than i expected to be honest.

I didn't see too many scoobys unfortunately. Only interesting scoobys i saw was a RB320 and what looks like a type 25 to me (licence plate T25) , but thats about it.

Aston Martins and Porsches are a common sight (like how i'd imagine Vauxhalls to be) parked along the streets....

I didn't have enough time to explore the place. The tube is efficient, but was quite complicated until you get a hang of it.

Definitely a place i'll return in the future.

Cheers!
Old 27 October 2009, 09:45 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

I grew up in South Wales near the coast and couldn't wait to get away - couldn't stand the parochialism, the small man's disease that most seem to have, and the Welsh Riviera mud flats have seen better days . I've lived in London for over 25 years now and wouldn't go back to Wales, other than for a short visit.
Old 27 October 2009, 11:02 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I might go tomorrow.

Take in a free museum

Packed lunch

Walk along the river at night, always like tower bridge at night, less so the scaffolding.

Meal

Home
Old 27 October 2009, 02:40 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Although not in London, this is a petrol heads dream to visit

National Motor Museum
Old 27 October 2009, 03:07 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suberman
Thanks for all the input chaps. It was hella cold when i reached! I think it was between 5 - 10 degrees for most of the time.

London is an amazing city. Beautiful buildings, great shopping, lots to see as well. Traffic was much better than i expected to be honest.

I didn't see too many scoobys unfortunately. Only interesting scoobys i saw was a RB320 and what looks like a type 25 to me (licence plate T25) , but thats about it.

Aston Martins and Porsches are a common sight (like how i'd imagine Vauxhalls to be) parked along the streets....

I didn't have enough time to explore the place. The tube is efficient, but was quite complicated until you get a hang of it.

Definitely a place i'll return in the future.

Cheers!
Glad you enjoyed it mate
What did you get up to in the end.
Its busy, and has some expensive bits, but all in all, you just said exactly what deluded little me thinks about the place

PS, please dont blame the weather on us Londoners We get the blame for everything else about the place.

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
I grew up in South Wales near the coast and couldn't wait to get away - couldn't stand the parochialism, the small man's disease that most seem to have, and the Welsh Riviera mud flats have seen better days . I've lived in London for over 25 years now and wouldn't go back to Wales, other than for a short visit.
Well thats a different perspective all together.
I love visiting Wales. Spent a lot of time there as a kid (Colwyn/Llandudno/Phos/Rhyl/Chester/Mold) and love it, but its a visit only thing for me, unless I was retiring.

Originally Posted by davyboy
I might go tomorrow.

Take in a free museum

Packed lunch

Walk along the river at night, always like tower bridge at night, less so the scaffolding.

Meal

Home
Oh stop stop, you are making it sound like a terrible place!
I love the river at night too
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	river1.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	3148  
Old 27 October 2009, 03:25 PM
AnnieN
Scooby Regular

I grew up in London, but moved to the North East about 6 years ago, I do miss bits of it - everything being so close and accessible, a curry in Brick Lane, some of the night life, wages!!! But I don't think I'd like to live there again - it's too souless, nobody cares about anyone, totally different up here.
Old 27 October 2009, 03:32 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AnnieN
I grew up in London, but moved to the North East about 6 years ago, I do miss bits of it - everything being so close and accessible, a curry in Brick Lane, some of the night life, wages!!! But I don't think I'd like to live there again - it's too souless, nobody cares about anyone, totally different up here.
Depending on the circles you live in, I would agree that it can be a little souless. Given the number of people though it has its good bits too lol.

Not my favorite place in the whole world, but think it is regularly misjudged.
I remember being in Old Colwyn once, when the IRA were still active. A girl there was terrified as her parents were soon to travel to London, and she thought we had bombs regularly throughout the day, every day.

Not a great example, but one that shows how people can get the wrong idea.
Old 27 October 2009, 03:59 PM
AnnieN
Scooby Regular

Oh don't get me wrong I loved living there, as a younger person it is the best place to be and a great place to grow up,(well when I was younger, not so sure now) but it wasn't until I moved out that I realised how different people are outside London and I dunno.......................maybe I'm just getting old!!!!!

Still love to visit the place tho!
Old 27 October 2009, 04:16 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AnnieN
Oh don't get me wrong I loved living there, as a younger person it is the best place to be and a great place to grow up,(well when I was younger, not so sure now) but it wasn't until I moved out that I realised how different people are outside London and I dunno.......................maybe I'm just getting old!!!!!

Still love to visit the place tho!
Aaah I know what you mean, when I am up in Wales, I love a morning walk with strangers greeting you, and a friendly smile in the shops etc.

But have to admit that it irritates me when people are over friendly here lol. Call me suspicious lol.

What I do like to do though it sit down in a public place and watch life... Sounds wierd, but watching the behaviour of the masses in Trafalgar Square, Leicester Square, Covent Garden, or by the river. Ignorance, kindness, paranoia, and just plain old enjoyment, its all there.

Call me wierd, but its fun to take a moment to see where you fit in, and what exactly you are a part of
Old 27 October 2009, 04:54 PM
AnnieN
Scooby Regular

Yes I agree I love a good people watch!!